• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

deoee

It's great for going all out (And for Skull fights).

Only buddy I don't find myself using at this point is D Horse. Used it a lot when it was my only choice but now I have vehicles for transport and D Dog or Quiet or D Walker are just more useful.

Horse really should have been classed a "Vehicle" tbh.

You can hide on the horse tho

Molemitts

Just finished the game yesterday, so I thought I pop into the OT.

Hi.

Very enjoyable game. Played through the Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3 and 4 this year for the first time. I enjoyed the series a lot more then I expected to, considering I'm not big on stealth or cutscene driven games, but I have a big appreciation for the series now. 3 was my favourite with 2 very close behind. I need some time to think about it but V might have beaten out 3, and probably has beaten 2.

I was mostly on a blackout for the game, but now I've finished it I think I'll go back and watch some trailers, because I've heard how well made they are.

I wasn't too disappointed with the storytelling, it has some pacing problems, but I still enjoyed it. The ending was quite disappointing, though, I wont talk about that here. I liked the open world a lot too, I know some are complaining about it but I think it really compliments the gameplay and isn't to obtrusive, traveling was very enjoyable for me. I think it could have done with some larger industrial style areas. Central Africa has a few of them, but more would be nice. A large indoor area would have been a good change of pace, and I was quite disappointed that it the indoor areas were always very small.

I used D-Dog all the way through, he's one of the reasons I actually caught up on the series all the way through so I could get MGSV, because it has a cute doggy.

Lnkn52

Has anyone picked up the strategy guide?
1774230_0.jpg

If so, is it any good?

Lanrutcon

There's something majestic about watching your upgraded chopper bringing Kenny Loggins and large explosions to the third world.

Moff

how is the pc version of this game?
if shooting is a big part of the game I'd like to play it with a mouse.

I know it's a standard by now but does the game switch instantly from pad to mouse controls as soon as you touch them?

dinoroar

Banned
One bullet goes in the chamber when the gun is cocked. When you reload an smg with 40/40, snake is putting one in the chamber and then putting another full 40 round clip in the gun, so it's 41/40.

Was looking to see if anyone else had already said this, and somehow has, who is also seatbelts?!

Nice avatar dude!

Lanrutcon

how is the pc version of this game?
if shooting is a big part of the game I'd like to play it with a mouse.

I know it's a standard by now but does the game switch instantly from pad to mouse controls as soon as you touch them?

The m&k controls are flawless. Forget the pad, even though there's an auto aim option if you want to shoot with a pad.

dmshaposv

It's great for going all out (And for Skull fights).

Only buddy I don't find myself using at this point is D Horse. Used it a lot when it was my only choice but now I have vehicles for transport and D Dog or Quiet or D Walker are just more useful.

Horse really should have been classed a "Vehicle" tbh.

D-horse can be summoned anywhere, whereas parked vehicles require you to go back to them. Which can be annoying/tricky when you are on alert and have to make a mad dash.

Thrakier

So I'm in mission 6 or 7 or so and so far the game pretty much sucks. Mechanic wise it is probably the best Metal Gear ever, but everything else pretty much lost all it's appeal. It feels like a generic mix of Ass Creed, Far Cry and Splinter Cell. I don't like it at all and I loved every MGS game before.

Joqu

Anyone know if the european collector's edtion blu-ray is english only or multi language and not locked to the language the game came from?

I've seen there's still a few available online but I don't want to pick up an imported copy only to have it all be in french only or something like that,

Anyone with a foreign collector's edtion to confirm? I know I'm late on this and should have checked earlier but my pre-order got cancelled and I had pretty much given up on it until now

I know it'd be weird for the behind the scenes bluray not to have multiple subs but I remember my imported Final Fantasy XIV:ARR LE having a similar bonus disc and that one was locked to one language (french).

I know MGSV only has an english dub but I'm assuming the bonus disc has japanese parts in it so the subtitles would be important there.

:/

Afrodium

Banned
No, the staff got a acale of like 100 morale and you get 1 point for the soldier that salutes you. Don't bother. Usually staff point will be stagnant anyways unless your going into negative GMP or keep hurting them.

Also yes: medical bay as soon as you see a door with blue lights and R&D, you know when.

Beating up staff hurts their morale!? Why isn't there any text telling me this after I slam their heads into the ground? I've beat the shit out of every MB soldier I've seen during my 40 hours of playtime.

Ugh, they patched the game but didn't patch the S rank bug for mission 4 C2W, so I still don't have the S rank trophy.

Anyone know of contact emails for Konami? I looked through their site but didn't find shit.
Edit: actually never mind I found a support page

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I must have played Mission 9 for like 4 hours yesterday trying to extract all the vehicles. Doing all the side objectives (and not even counting the prisoners!) without any checkpoints is a BITCH.

ramyeon

Post Mission 31 spoilers.

Was Kaz being blind supposed to be a big reveal or something? There was no foreshadowing to it at all (I mean the dude can obviously see throughout the game) and so far post reveal there has been no mention of it ever again. Seems pretty random. Is he actually even blind or am I misinterpreting things?

Neoweee

Was Kaz being blind supposed to be a big reveal or something? There was no foreshadowing to it at all (I mean the dude can obviously see throughout the game) and so far post reveal there has been no mention of it ever again. Seems pretty random. Is he actually even blind or am I misinterpreting things?

There is mention of it again. Some time after I got the "true ending", I got a scene with
old guy mumbling about it.

Beating up staff hurts their morale!? Why isn't there any text telling me this after I slam their heads into the ground? I've beat the shit out of every MB soldier I've seen during my 40 hours of playtime.

My girlfriend grabbed the controller the other day (eventually dying in a crazy run-and-gun attack on a base) and the first thing she did was punch D-Dog so many times that my bond went down. I felt terrible. I'm so sorry, D-Dog...

oni_saru

I thought they liked it!!! They always thank me afterwards ;~;

Ivemadeahugemistake.gif

hank_tree

It's not a big reveal as he is clearly blind when you rescue him in the first mission.

Best way I've found is holding down x/■ then scrolling down to select them all really quickly. I can't find a simple 'select all' toggle :(

Oh yeah I knew about the selecting multiple, I was just wondering if an unstaffed mother base would be remarked on or reflected in cutscenes... Probably not!

jediyoshi

Quiet is pretty useless compared to Dog if you prefer to do non-lethal, ghost runs since Dog can immediately sense everyone in the area, but quiet just points out people in her field of vision.

If it makes you feel any better, she probably just hates you. Does a pretty great job of pointing out objectives through walls for me. Either way I'm not sure why you'd compare two buddies who are meant to do different things for a specific scenario. Dog is pretty useless if you want to scout an AO without entering it at all or want to off an enemy hundreds of meters out remotely.

Haunted

I like D-Walker the most out of all the buddies.
Easily the best buddy.

If it had a bond, I'd have it maxed out real quick. It's basically every other buddy rolled into one. The traversal capabilities of D-Horse, the scouting of D-Dog (with the right Head upgrade) and the ability to clear out an outpost as efficiently as Quiet - with many more approach options available compared to her.

You can hide on the horse tho
D-Walker has a silent driving mode.

D-horse can be summoned anywhere, whereas parked vehicles require you to go back to them. Which can be annoying/tricky when you are on alert and have to make a mad dash.
You can whistle D-Walker to your side and it'll appear.

D-Walker best new character 2015.

ced

I can't believe how many useless filler missions there have been from 1-26, and some are literally no more than something in side-ops.

Be nice if someone would just mod it to only have the significant missions.

cackhyena

If it makes you feel any better, she probably just hates you. Does a pretty great job of pointing out objectives through walls for me. Either way I'm not sure why you'd compare two buddies who are meant to do different things for a specific scenario. Dog is pretty useless if you want to scout an AO without entering it at all or want to off an enemy hundreds of meters out remotely.
Why would he care about either of those things if he's going for non-lethal ghost runs?

ScOULaris

So I just noticed my PS4 fans going into jet-turbine mode when I was in my iDroid menu sitting in the ACC. This has not happened at all until today, and I think the fact that I finally switched from offline to online mode has something to do with it.

I have seen people on other forums complain about the fans going crazy in the ACC menus, but no mention of whether or not they were playing online. I'm not home right now to test, but can anyone confirm that this happens only when connected to Konami's servers?

I also applied the 1.03 patch update today, so that could've introduced something that causes this too. Not sure. The only two things that changed from before the fans going crazy to now are:

• Updating to 1.03
  • Connecting to Konami's servers

SJRB

Gold Member
1774230_0.jpg

If so, is it any good?

I have it, it's pretty incredible.

Quality is top notch, it has a very nice Shinkawa litho [have it hanging on my wall] and a HUUUGE map. It explains every mission and side op, all mechanics, and has extensive biographies of all characters. Also a lot of background information and several timelines of the entire series.

Also a lot of really cool artwork in the last chapter.

Needless to say it also spoils the story and plot twists, but it has a pretty clever system that not only warns you but also places particular spoilers on special pages so you won't get spoiled accidentally.

Greddleok

Quiet is pretty useless compared to Dog if you prefer to do non-lethal, ghost runs since Dog can immediately sense everyone in the area, but quiet just points out people in her field of vision.

That's not true. She scouts and highlights everything in a chosen area. The area she can scout is limited though. She also won't pick up new additions to the area after she's done scouting.

That includes prisoners/important NPCs too.

Lnkn52

I have it, it's pretty incredible.

Quality is top notch, it has a very nice Shinkawa litho [have it hanging on my wall] and a HUUUGE map. It explains every mission and side op, all mechanics, and has extensive biographies of all characters. Also a lot of background information and several timelines of the entire series.

Also a lot of really cool artwork in the last chapter.

Needless to say it also spoils the story and plot twists, but it has a pretty clever system that not only warns you but also places particular spoilers on special pages so you won't get spoiled accidentally.

i got it and i really like it. its decent caus kojima was a part of the production. If you want to know quiet alot of whats going on i would recommend it.

TY for the reviews.

tensuke

1774230_0.jpg

If so, is it any good?

Yeah, it's really nice. Pages are beautiful and the guides for missions are pretty good, they tell you the objectives, show a map of the hot zone with what route they recommend, go through the suggested route, has s-rank tips, etc. I don't use it for missions until I replay them for s-rank/objectives, but it's great for first-time playing as well. Also has all of the emblems/codenames/tapes/weapons/items/collectibles/whatever you can think of. I haven't looked at a lot of it because I don't want to get spoiled, but it really has a ton of information. It also comes with a bigger map than the default one that has Afghanistan/Africa/MB and all the tapes/blueprints/resources. Great buy for $20.

Vuze

Why do some Side Ops I've completed still show up as "new"? I've beaten some of them twice now and they still are marked as active. It's pretty irritating.

Also, any tips on how to quickly level up specific units? In particular R&D and Support unit since I need that final fulton upgrade for continuing the NPC deployment missions.

Apart from that I picked up some invoices in Afghanistan today and tried out D-Walker. Need to upgrade this baby to run faster but apart from that I think it's my favorite "buddy" so far. Still, I'll stick to D-Dog for the time being. It's also pretty amazing how good the lightning of the game looks throught every time of day, sometimes it's particular moody.

muteki

I can't believe how many useless filler missions there have been from 1-26, and some are literally no more than something in side-ops.

I really wonder what would be left if you removed the "exfiltrate person x from y" missions."

I'm a bit at fault for doing too many side ops this weekend but man it is starting to wear on me.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ fuck that target practice on the R&D platform...

There wouldn't be many missions left. I'm about to start 18 tonight and I think there have been two or three significant feeling missions:
the one where you empty the water in that oil refinery and all the bodies are lying in the lake, getting Quiet, and the side op where you rescue Emmerich.

Griss

I really wonder what would be left if you removed the "exfiltrate person x from y" missions."

I'm a bit at fault for doing too many side ops this weekend but man it is starting to wear on me.

Remember the helicopter mission from GZ? This game desperately needed some unique stuff like that to break things up. A couple vehicle missions, a sniping mission as Quiet, a mission where you play as Ocelot and have to use a revolver etc. A mission where you start from a HALO jump would have been cool in an open world. There's a lot they could have done.

What we got ended up being very 'samey', and even the so-called 'bosses' didn't break out of that, save for
Sahelanthropus.

Top Bottom