• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

usp84

So apparently in the late game if you extract a valuable soldier(lets say S rank) and you have too many soldiers in the brig then that soldier will be lost as there is no space for him...

So be careful before you extract anyone

Parshias7

Why do some Side Ops I've completed still show up as "new"? I've beaten some of them twice now and they still are marked as active. It's pretty irritating.

There will always be side ops available so that you have something to do in free roam. If there are no new side ops, it'll let you re-do an already completed one.

LiK

I have yet to complete any of the Target Practice Side Ops. it's annoying having to run around looking for the targets. did you guys use a guide for it?

I don't want any confusion, the update on PS4 I got today fixes the Quiet save corruption bug, right?

yes

Remember the helicopter mission from GZ? This game desperately needed some unique stuff like that to break things up. A couple vehicle missions, a sniping mission as Quiet, a mission where you play as Ocelot and have to use a revolver etc. A mission where you start from a HALO jump would have been cool in an open world. There's a lot they could have done.

What we got ended up being very 'samey', and even the so-called 'bosses' didn't break out of that, save for
Sahelanthropus.

Man, I can't agree with that at all. No vehicle mission in a prior MGS has every been as exhilarating to me as Mission 9 spoiler
galloping across the desert chasing tanks, firing RPGs down on them from atop a ridge.
. Up through Mission 30 I've had a bunch of other missions with similar, epic moments that matched any of the pre-planned setpieces of prior MGS games. But this time it was pretty much all emergent and didn't have to play out that way had I gone about it differently.

Hell, all of Mission 28 was pretty much straight up classic MGS for me:
Sniping battle with the skulls in the mist, silently infiltrating a secluded mansion, and then scrambling to escape with Code Walker on my back, firing missiles at a circling gunship in the dead of night from the side of a water fall while an army of enemy soldiers are combing the forest looking for me. Only to finally make a mad dash to the helicopter while the heli fires volleys of rockets to give me cover fire.

I have yet to complete any of the Target Practice Side Ops. it's annoying having to run around looking for the targets. did you guys use a guide for it?

yes
The R&D seems to be the hardest. It has you going all over since they spread out. The others are pretty straight foward and closer to you. They were easier.

I should really try 28's fight again with weapons, it was crap with an APC.

yes

There's one I couldn't do yet, but finding everything is pretty tricky. The command platform one can be done just by moving around the helipad.

Portugeezer

I don't get this quarantine shit.

Do I just sent anyone from the sickbay to quarantine? How else do I know if they might be infected?

Jintor

Snake v snake FOB fights can get really irritatingly confusing. Thought I'd won a cqc encounter only to be sickness into a wormhole and tossed out

I don't get this quarantine shit.

Do I just sent anyone from the sickbay to quarantine? How else do I know if they might be infected?

Look for any detail that's common to everyone in your
quarantine.

Only highlight this if you really can't figure out the answer after trying:
Everyone who speaks Kikongo needs to be quarantined.

LiK

when do I get to build FOB bases? I can only send out two units in Combat Deployment at a time and it takes forever.

John

i'm after mission 43. ocelot calls me and tells me to come back to mother base
because people are mad about huey, but going back doesn't trigger any cutscene. neither does going to the battle gear hangar, where i can see huey working on stuff.
what do i do?

There wouldn't be many missions left. I'm about to start 18 tonight and I think there have been two or three significant feeling missions:
the one where you empty the water in that oil refinery and all the bodies are lying in the lake, getting Quiet, and the side op where you rescue Emmerich.

I'm at around the same part as you, but there was also the
first one when you meet Skullface after you go into the caves and have to use the Honeybee on the Skulls

I'm at around the same part as you, but there was also the
first one when you meet Skullface after you go into the caves and have to use the Honeybee on the Skulls

Oh right forgot about that! Probably because for me there is just too much repetition between significant events for any sort of momentum to build.

LiK

I took out some tanks with one. Make sure you use customise menu, just buying the upgrades does nothing, which I didn't realise at first.

yea, it's silly you need to equip the upgrades separately in the Customize menu. You'd think it would be in the screen where you equip your gear before a mission.

Lanrutcon

Mission 16: restarted about 7 times, died 3 times, alerted everyone, ended up finishing it using a grenade launcher, C4 and a rocket launcher.

...S Rank.

Game, you so funny sometimes.

LiK

Mission 16: restarted about 7 times, died 3 times, alerted everyone, ended up finishing it using a grenade launcher, C4 and a rocket launcher.

...S Rank.

ROFL, happened to me last night. I was spotted once and thought it was over but I got S rank anyway. I also used a RL to win. Really not sure how it grades people in missions.

Randam

Remember the helicopter mission from GZ? This game desperately needed some unique stuff like that to break things up. A couple vehicle missions, a sniping mission as Quiet, a mission where you play as Ocelot and have to use a revolver etc. A mission where you start from a HALO jump would have been cool in an open world. There's a lot they could have done.

What we got ended up being very 'samey', and even the so-called 'bosses' didn't break out of that, save for
Sahelanthropus.

or something like granin gorki or grosni grad in mgs 3.

huge bases/buildings, where you have to get in, sneak around, disguise yourself as someone else etc.

...S Rank.

ROFL, happened to me last night. I was spotted once and thought it was over but I got S rank anyway. I also used a RL to win. Really not sure how it grades people in missions.

most important factor for S rank is time.

you need 130.000 points for S rank.
playing under 10 minutes gives you 120.000 already.
finishing the mission with some side ops will almost always grand you a s rank.
even if you use reflex or kill everyone.

Wtf is with sideops disappearing? I swear there was a side op to extract a
wandering skull subject
or w/e they are called but it's gone.

Is it something to do with more than one sideop being available in the same location? So the newest one overwrites the older sideop until completed?

zkorejo

Spoilers about "true ending" ahead.

I read in one of the articles that if you equip butterfly emblem even once, it will stop you from being able to unlock mission 46. I have read some comments on forums that suggests otherwise.

Can I not get the Mission # 46 even if i get rid of the emblem now?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Spoilers about "true ending" ahead.

I read in one of the articles that if you equip butterfly emblem even once, it will stop you from being able to unlock mission 46. I have read some comments on forums that suggests otherwise.

Can I not get the Mission # 46 even if i get rid of the emblem now?
Nah, you can get the mission with it equipped. I have all missions except 45.

LiK

most important factor for S rank is time.

you need 130.000 points for S rank.
playing under 10 minutes gives you 120.000 already.
finishing the mission with some side ops will almost always grand you a s rank.
even if you use reflex or kill everyone.

damn really? I can probably get S rank easy knowing that now.

wandering skull subject

Is it something to do with more than one sideop being available in the same location? So the newest one overwrites the older sideop until completed?

Yeah I think so.
I remember the Emmerich one overrode the Stun Arm one, but not sure about the less important ones doing it.

The mission about
extracting Quiet from the Soviets
is hard as shit. Epic, but hard as shit. I've had to redo this countless times and still no success.

Chariot

Beating up staff hurts their morale!? Why isn't there any text telling me this after I slam their heads into the ground? I've beat the shit out of every MB soldier I've seen during my 40 hours of playtime.

I thought they liked it!!! They always thank me afterwards ;~;

Ivemadeahugemistake.gif
Oh, pardon me. I misrembered. I took a peak into the guide again and it states only negative GMP balance as negative factor. So, keep beating them up, it doesn't strenghen moral, but it doesn't hurt either.

wandering skull subject

Yes there is a priority system used, the guidebook explains it, I can pm you later if you are really interested, at work right now.

despire

I have it, it's pretty incredible.

Quality is top notch, it has a very nice Shinkawa litho [have it hanging on my wall] and a HUUUGE map. It explains every mission and side op, all mechanics, and has extensive biographies of all characters. Also a lot of background information and several timelines of the entire series.

Also a lot of really cool artwork in the last chapter.

Needless to say it also spoils the story and plot twists, but it has a pretty clever system that not only warns you but also places particular spoilers on special pages so you won't get spoiled accidentally.

Does anyone know if there's any difference between US and UK strategy guides? The US book is listed at 400 pages while the UK book has 368 pages. Cover is different as well..

Or maybe I'm looking at the CE and the normal versions..

Griss

Man, I can't agree with that at all. No vehicle mission in a prior MGS has every been as exhilarating to me as Mission 9 spoiler
galloping across the desert chasing tanks, firing RPGs down on them from atop a ridge.
. Up through Mission 30 I've had a bunch of other missions with similar, epic moments that matched any of the pre-planned setpieces of prior MGS games. But this time it was pretty much all emergent and didn't have to play out that way had I gone about it differently.

Hell, all of Mission 28 was pretty much straight up classic MGS for me:
Sniping battle with the skulls in the mist, silently infiltrating a secluded mansion, and then scrambling to escape with Code Walker on my back, firing missiles at a circling gunship in the dead of night from the side of a water fall while an army of enemy soldiers are combing the forest looking for me. Only to finally make a mad dash to the helicopter while the heli fires volleys of rockets to give me cover fire.

Eh, I see what you're saying but the problem with this comment is that you've picked the TWO times I would say the game really felt diverse, and the two high points of the entire game for me. They're great examples of the game being great, but they were two missions in a game of 200 missions / side ops that ended up taking me like 80 hours. The vast majority of that time was spent infiltrating and fultoning someone. Point taken though.

huge bases/buildings, where you have to get in, sneak around, disguise yourself as someone else etc.

The lack of interior settings was utterly bizarre, doubly so considering
the mansion was so good

The main Soviet military base is pretty much the size of Grosni Grad by itself, if not larger. Slightly less in terms of interiors but there were never many interiors in MGS3 anyway.

Eh, I see what you're saying but the problem with this comment is that you've picked the TWO times I would say the game really felt diverse, and the two high points of the entire game for me. They're great examples of the game being great, but they were two missions in a game of 200 missions / side ops that ended up taking me like 80 hours. The vast majority of that time was spent infiltrating and fultoning someone.

If you are reductive you can just characterize the entire series as "infiltrating".

I've had tons of incredible missions of similar scope and tension as the ones I listed above. Pretty much every mission that has a hidden time limit (get into an area, investigate the targets movement patterns, and intercept) produces some really fantastic emergent encounters for me. And when I go back and replay them I'm very impressed to find out all of the things I missed because I wasn't in a certain place at a certain time.

Top Bottom