• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have played something like 27 hours and have only killed 50 or so soldiers, basically everyone else gets to ride the balloon train.

Man I had the most amazing Mission 9 ever, where you are tasked to take out 3 Soviet commanders. Ocelot gave me their route. So I galloped my way to their meeting place and on my way, there was a security outpost. Suddenly a dust storm came roaring. I quickly went in ans got intel out of one of the guards there, subduing a few other. Got more pinpoint info from the info.

1st commander. I run ahead of his route and plant a C4 in the road. Boom.

2nd commander. I galloped to his route, then hid and waited for him to drive towards me. I immediately open fire killing him and his guard. The driver surrenders. Fultoned.

3rd commander. I do a perfect sneak in the base where he is staying. Make it all the way into the building, suddenly get spotted by him! Hell breaks lose. Tranqed him and started running, suddenly realized that I need to go back and kill him. So I go back again, get to his body and fulton his ass. Scram out of the base and I'm done.

Now, this is my very first crack at this mission and I just aced it. Felt like Big Boss indeed. I have the video saved too, I might upload it. B ranking tho :(

Mine was kinda immersion breaking because I grabbed each of the first two commanders in a dark alleyway soon after they arrived because their guards sprint ahead of them.
But no one was wondering what took them so long :p

I kinda was more creative in the first missions because currently it's always just Quiet and me putting everyone in a base to sleep with our silencer tranq snipers...

OrochiJR

Ranking up the bond with D-Horse seems to take forever.

I maxed the bond out today by doing side ops and Mission 3 (just drop bombardment on the objective's stronghold, mission accomplished) in a ride-by-shooting kind of way. I just sat on him most of the time, dropping guys from afar with the sniper rifle or air support/ bombardement.

KarmaCow

You just build another one or....?

I haven't had it happen to me but someone else said if you lose it, it comes back in a few hours. So they either build another one or fix the broken one. Either way, it's essentially another timer on top of the timer for the mission itself.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
My copy just arrived and still haven't finished GZ.
Dammit!!!!

About to start the game finally... For Reflex mode, does just having it turned on at all lower your ranking or only if you actually activate it in a mission? Is it still possible to get S Ranks WITH Reflex mode or nah? Trying to decide if I want to use it or not.

About to start the game finally... For Reflex mode, does just having it turned on at all lower your ranking or only if you actually activate it in a mission? Is it still possible to get S Ranks WITH Reflex mode or nah? Trying to decide if I want to use it or not.

You get a points bonus if reflex mode never activates in a mission. So with it disabled you always get the bonus. You can still get S ranks with it going off. Try with it on and see how you go.

KarmaCow

Getting S-Ranks are more dependent on time and some side objectives giving bonus points. It's very lenient, the minimum for an S rank is 130 000 points, I sometimes got over 3 times that in some missions, even without the bonus 10k from not using Reflex Mode. At the same time, the recorded time for points doesn't seem to include previous attempts from restarting from a checkpoint. You'll lose the no retry bonus but sometimes it's worth it if you say, end up dying.

Don't worry too much about making a small mistake and thinking you need to restart to get an S-rank. Just roll with whatever happens, especially since many missions have mutually exclusive side objectives so if you care that much, you'll be playing it again anyways.

You get a points bonus if reflex mode never activates in a mission. So with it disabled you always get the bonus. You can still get S ranks with it going off.

Gotcha. Hmm, I don't know if I wanna use it or not. Definitely makes the game easier (or it did in Ground Zeroes), but I kind of feel bad using it, lol.

Getting S-Ranks are more dependent on time and some side objectives giving bonus points. It's very lenient, the minimum for an S rank is 130 000 points, I sometimes got over 3 times that in some missions. Don't worry too much about making a small mistake and thinking you need to restart to get an S-rank. Just roll with whatever happens, especially since many missions have mutually exclusive side objectives so if you care that much, you'll be playing it again anyways.

Oh okay, that's good to hear about it being lenient and stuff. :)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Real talk. I've enabled the butterfly emblem and am not playing mission 43.
I'd rather not finish the game
than lose quiet

I like the thunderstorms in Africa.
It can get pretty epic in the downpour.

I got struck by lightning once. But I need to experiment with why that happened...

The oil field place looks really cool in the rain at night like Camp Omega.

Spazznid

No it just knocked me out. You have to wiggle L and press action like when you accidentally gas yourself with a sleep grenade or get cqc'd in FOB mode.

Are you sure you didn't ride into a power line pole? If you knock them down in the rain, and the wires touch you or your vehicle, you get electrocuted.

LiK

∀ Narayan;178751984 said:
At some point I will. I hear she is really overpowered, which makes me hesitant. I like to play games, not just walk right through them.

I don't find her OP at all. sometimes she doesn't even listen to me when I tell her to fire, lol

Toa TAK

Banned
At some point I will. I hear she is really overpowered, which makes me hesitant. I like to play games, not just walk right through them.

Oh please. Just do one mission with her to make up your own mind. It won't hurt.

Wagram

There's a certain extreme mission I was struggling with. I brought her along with a specific sniper rifle and she obliterated everything due to her ability to constantly head shot.

I just finished Chapter 30...does the Main story end after Chapter 31 and the rest are just challenge missions?...I'm confused

There's more missions - keep playing.

Real talk. I've enabled the butterfly emblem and am not playing mission 43.
I'd rather not finish the game
than lose quiet

Mission 43 isn't the mission in which you
lose Quiet
.That mission doesn't even show up if you have the butterfly emblem
mission 45

Mission 43 is probably the best story mission in the game so you should definitely play it.

Future

So what's the best way to use quiet ability
grenade ricochet
. I've done it a few times but besides explosions in midair I feel like I am missing something. Especially for such a late ability gain

Are you sure you didn't ride into a power line pole? If you knock them down in the rain, and the wires touch you or your vehicle, you get electrocuted.

No I was on foot but I suspect it's because I kept
calling in Support for rain storms

Has anyone tried using the shock arm against metal objects and puddles to see if it affects guards who are touching them? It was a thing in Peace Walker so should be there.

Alebrije

This game is like PW with steroids , glad finished PW days ago and know how to manage the MB. Pretty sure this game is what Kojima wanted to do with PW but due to hardware limitations cant.

I spend way too much time on missions to get an S rank. The last mission I did took 2 hours 20 minutes. XD

But I like to play that way, so fuck it.

Listened to the tapes, did some side op missions, still nothing... and no one seems to know what triggers the rest of the missions after
finishing the man on fire mission

Bleh

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Question regarding Quiet for people who have finished the game:

I know that at some point in the game you lose Quiet for good. Do the items you develop for her count towards the completion percentage? I'm wondering if I should develop her equipment despite eventually losing it all or if I should just stop now to save GMP.

No plot spoilers please.

So time does not affects mission rank?

Time is the best way to get an S-Rank, but not the only way. You need to get a certain number of points (130,000 I think) and completing a mission in less than 10 minutes nets you 120,000, so you're pretty much sorted if you do a couple of optional objectives.

Top Bottom