• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I'm going on a whirlwind tour through Africa's guard posts doing these side-missions in D-Walker, aka THE COOLEST THING IN THE WORLD.

Best moment in the game was, while a sandstorm was in progress, slowly walking with D-Walker up to the final heavy infantry, who was already wounded on the ground, guns primed and Maneater playing. Too appropriate of a song in the final moments after an assault with a machine that chews up armies for breakfast.

I've had great success with strafing minigun headshots and choke slams, but I have high hopes for the flamethrower next time.

As much as it kills me to say it, I'm not enjoying this game anywhere near as much as I thought I would. There are so many little design choices that are ignorable on their own, but when you compound them all together it sucks a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

Who thought it would be a good idea to have opening credits for EVERY mission, spoiling who's going to show up (just played a mission where the credits told me that I'd be bumping into Skullface, then the game itself acted like this was supposed to be some sort of surprise)? That's like putting 'Bruce Willis as The Ghost' in the opening credits for Sixth Sense. Why is using the helicopter so slow. Needing to call it in, wait a minute or so to pick up up, sit for a minute or so until it hits the loading screen, then wait for it to load, then repeat the process when selecting a destination is just so tedious. It would be much better if I could select a pickup point and a landing point at once without needing to go through all of that.

And where's all the bat shit crazy stuff I've come to expect and love from a Metal Gear game? The prologue was pretty great but since then in about 20 hours of play I've seen maybe a grand total of about 15 minutes of cutscenes, and heard Big Boss say maybe 20 lines of dialogue outside of 'SPIT IT OUT'. It's really odd to see people having a full on conversation with him, and him just sitting there staring at them like a confused child. I know a lot of the story is told in cassettes which is fine, but the way the story is presented is just so detached from every other game in the series and I don't think it's for the better.

The whole Mother Base thing is a bit too convoluted. The menus aren't designed in such a way where they're intuitive to navigate and it takes way too long to level up your departments to research things. Mission 8 and 9 told me that I needed a missile, which needs a level 12 RND team to research. I was level 8 so went about fultoning everyone to level it up, reached a cap at level 10 and was told I couldn't have more than 40 people until I levelled up the department. That in itself takes a ton of resources (at least a lot for that early in the game) and a 1 hour wait while the department itself levels up. I ended up just saying 'fuck that' and completed the mission in the clumsiest way every using C4. I don't think any of this actually adds anything to the game, and if anything, detracts from the otherwise great gameplay. It requires too much time and focus and punishes certain play styles. Plus, mother base itself is just stupid to navigate. Why those long bridges between the platforms?

The game does have a lot of great points though. The open world is very nice to look at, if a bit empty and tedious to travel, and I love how seamless it is when you're actually in it. The controls are the best they've ever been in a Metal Gear Game, and the tools and items you can get really open the game up and allow you to really approach things whatever way you want, but this is held back by most missions being roughly the same but in a different setting (Most are either 'rescue the prisoner' or 'extract the super soldier' which both boil down to 'Get to the target and fulton him'). It seems like such wasted potential having these really, really great points diluted by some really questionable design choices.

Hopefully my gripes about the story change as the game progresses (although I won't get my hopes up because I've heard not so great things), but the helicopter nonsense, the mother base stuff and the repetitiveness of the missions has already kind of ruined any chance of me replaying the game. I'm having fun with it inspite of it's flaws, but I'm still disappointed. It's not the swan song Metal Gear deserves.

brinstar

btw dunno if it was mentioned here but if you blast 'Love Deterrence' over the speakers of your iDroid (you have to actually turn the speaker on with the cassette controls) the wandering MB soldiers will come right to you.

ST2K

So uh help please,

I'm at a total loss here.

I just did mission 43
the laboratory one that ends with the "we'll make diamonds from their ashes"
and I don't have any yellow dots anywhere.

How do I progress?

I've done all available side ops.135/157 with no unchecked ones open right now.
I have no cassettes to listen to.
I've done every story mission except the total stealth / extreme / subsistence ones.

My mother base is has each platform at at least level 3 with 2 at level 4. Though after mission 43
my individual unit levels dropped below 40 again

I'd like to know this too. Stuck in a similar situation.

Hasney

This is part of my point, Side op and random outposts (and to a lesser extent main missions), are all the same handful of "levels", with the same soldiers, in the same positions, it just feels like one big grind, doing the same things over and over.

True enough, I guess I don't see it as much of a grind if I'm having a blast doing it. Kind of like getting the Dragon Quest Inquisition platinum which people said I'd get bored of doing it, but after 120 hours, who's crazy now?!

Yes, it's me, I know

I'd like to know this too. Stuck in a similar situation.

Do anything you like. Repeat side ops/missions or the harder versions of missions until it pops.

How many missions are there?

I was taking it slow and doing all the side missions to make sure I enjoy it.

Some of these could be done pretty quickly as even I have done a few on first attempt.

As much as it kills me to say it, I'm not enjoying this game anywhere near as much as I thought I would. There are so many little design choices that are ignorable on their own, but when you compound them all together it sucks a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

Who thought it would be a good idea to have opening credits for EVERY mission, spoiling who's going to show up (just played a mission where the credits told me that I'd be bumping into Skullface, then the game itself acted like this was supposed to be some sort of surprise)? That's like putting 'Bruce Willis as The Ghost' in the opening credits for Sixth Sense. Why is using the helicopter so slow. Needing to call it in, wait a minute or so to pick up up, sit for a minute or so until it hits the loading screen, then wait for it to load, then repeat the process when selecting a destination is just so tedious. It would be much better if I could select a pickup point and a landing point at once without needing to go through all of that.

And where's all the bat shit crazy stuff I've come to expect and love from a Metal Gear game? The prologue was pretty great but since then in about 20 hours of play I've seen maybe a grand total of about 15 minutes of cutscenes, and heard Big Boss say maybe 20 lines of dialogue outside of 'SPIT IT OUT'. It's really odd to see people having a full on conversation with him, and him just sitting there staring at them like a confused child. I know a lot of the story is told in cassettes which is fine, but the way the story is presented is just so detached from every other game in the series and I don't think it's for the better.

The whole Mother Base thing is a bit too convoluted. The menus aren't designed in such a way where they're intuitive to navigate and it takes way too long to level up your departments to research things. Mission 8 and 9 told me that I needed a missile, which needs a level 12 RND team to research. I was level 8 so went about fultoning everyone to level it up, reached a cap at level 10 and was told I couldn't have more than 40 people until I levelled up the department. That in itself takes a ton of resources (at least a lot for that early in the game) and a 1 hour wait while the department itself levels up. I ended up just saying 'fuck that' and completed the mission in the clumsiest way every using C4. I don't think any of this actually adds anything to the game, and if anything, detracts from the otherwise great gameplay. It requires too much time and focus and punishes certain play styles. Plus, mother base itself is just stupid to navigate. Why those long bridges between the platforms?

The game does have a lot of great points though. The open world is very nice to look at, if a bit empty and tedious to travel, and I love how seamless it is when you're actually in it. The controls are the best they've ever been in a Metal Gear Game, and the tools and items you can get really open the game up and allow you to really approach things whatever way you want, but this is held back by most missions being roughly the same but in a different setting (Most are either 'rescue the prisoner' or 'extract the super soldier' which both boil down to 'Get to the target and fulton him'). It seems like such wasted potential having these really, really great points diluted by some really questionable design choices.

Hopefully my gripes about the story change as the game progresses (although I won't get my hopes up because I've heard not so great things), but the helicopter nonsense, the mother base stuff and the repetitiveness of the missions has already kind of ruined any chance of me replaying the game. I'm having fun with it inspite of it's flaws, but I'm still disappointed. It's not the swan song Metal Gear deserves.

Opinions and everything, but I disagree with everything you said, especially the base management. By the time I got to that mission I already had an R&D level over 20. It sounds more like you were deliberately avoiding/ignoring a vital part of the game's progression and got bit in the rear for it (like people who don't bother leveling in an RPG).

It's definitely a different kind of MGS, and if you don't like micro managing then you'll find issues with it, but I love every part of it.

Maybe I'm the wrong target demographic though because I haven't like MGS since MGS 2. This pulled me back due to a focus on deep and solid gameplay over a overbearing story.

So out of curiosity is there any point in upgrading base struts in their own right?

What I mean to ask is - do they serve any purpose beyond being a Container for more soldiers? My mother base is super low capacity and so I wonder if it's actually worth upgrading them?

I notice the command platform has a heli pad at the very top, should I be aiming to at least build that one up fully?

Hasney

I need to try that with the diahrrea tape.

Shit, never thought of that. Hide in the toilet when on alert and play it on loop.

So out of curiosity is there any point in upgrading base struts in their own right?

What I mean to ask is - do they serve any purpose beyond being a Container for more soldiers? My mother base is super low capacity and so I wonder if it's actually worth upgrading them?

I notice the command platform has a heli pad at the very top, should I be aiming to at least build that one up fully?

More people = more development stuff/support/intel/combat missions. If you develop FOBs, it makes it harder for people to infiltrate as well.

By the time I got to that mission I already had an R&D level over 20. It sounds more like you were deliberately avoiding/ignoring a vital part of the game's progression and got bit in the rear for it (like people who don't bother leveling in an RPG).

I wasn't deliberately ignoring anything, the game gave me no indication as to what level I should be at, or how much time I should be investing into levelling it up.

Marvel

could never
Thought this was worth sharing, watch as DD jumps from the jeep. Pretty cool.

jovisdac

Opinions and everything, but I disagree with everything you said, especially the base management. By the time I got to that mission I already had an R&D level over 20. It sounds more like you were deliberately avoiding/ignoring a vital part of the game's progression and got bit in the rear for it (like people who don't bother leveling in an RPG).

It's definitely a different kind of MGS, and if you don't like micro managing then you'll find issues with it, but I love every part of it.

Maybe I'm the wrong target demographic though because I haven't like MGS since MGS 2. This pulled me back due to a focus on deep and solid gameplay over a overbearing story.

It's essentially Peace Walker made better, in-terms of hardware and gameplay. But like you, I'm loving it. Sure, the narrative is kind-of on a slow drip, but it is there. I get the feeling some think that because the story is conveyed differently, it somehow isn't there.

And sure, Mother Base has its downsides, but spending a few minutes in a menu shouldn't be a death-nail for the game.

As I've told a few friends who have had doubts playing the game - stick with it. With over 65 hours under my belt, I'm really digging it.

Sephon

I just accidentally learned a heavy spoiler around the late mid/end-game, and I'm uncertain of what to do.
This is regarding to
Quiet
and certain
butterfly emblem trick

What I really want to know is
Is the sequences related to Quiets disappearance good and needed for a complete experience of the game? similar to Aeris death which was a much vital element to make FF7 so memorable.
If they're just BS I'll just use the trick to keep her.

Ok I am officially confused now...

That cutscene when you get the sickbay area
Paz is alive??!! How is that even possible? I mean Since we played it and saw it on ground zeroes and then it was changed in the phantom pain?! twice with different dialog for each scene.

I just feel confused if this is due to BB's memory? Or something else

Marvel

could never
Ok I am officially confused now...

That cutscene when you get the sickbay area
Paz is alive??!! How is that even possible? I mean Since we played it and saw it on ground zeroes and then it was changed in the phantom pain?! twice with different dialog for each scene.

I just feel confused if this is due to BB's memory? Or something else

Complete all her side-ops to find out.

I wasn't deliberately ignoring anything, the game gave me no indication as to what level I should be at, or how much time I should be investing into levelling it up.

Yet somehow I was under the impression that leveling and expanding the base was very important, due to the multiple tutorials telling me so.

I'm not trying to insult you, so don't act insulted, but you weren't devoting the time you should be to the base. The game made it very clear to me and seemingly the majority of players, so you were probably ignoring it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

MGS4 was the "swan song" for the MGS series. Lengthy cutscenes, story insanity, and everything you came to love about the series in one bloated package.

MGSV is the series' rebirth as a meaty gameplay-focused series that has no care for delivering the Metal Gear series' staples. It's not a fanboy's dream. This is what happens when it is stripped to the core of gameplay mechanics and those are expanded upon to its fullest.

aember

86 hours in, 60% completion, I freaking love this game!

I spent most of yesterday doing FOBs and I gotta say I absolutely love them. The last 7 or so minutes of my 8th invasion were the most intense minutes in my gaming career.

I foresee a lot of hours on this game, not even counting MGO.

I just accidentally learned a heavy spoiler around the late mid/end-game, and I'm uncertain of what to do.
This is regarding to
Quiet
and certain
butterfly emblem trick

What I really want to know is
Is the sequences related to Quiets disappearance good and needed for a complete experience of the game? similar to Aeris death which was a much vital element to make FF7 so memorable.
If they're just BS I'll just use the trick to keep her.

Keep her for use on missions and stuff, then do her exiting mission as a close to the game for yourself.

sonto340

Post Mission

yeah okay. Eli isn't Liquid. Okay. Totally. Absolutely.
I have an incredibly hard time believing that. Of course, it does seem incredibly obvious so maybe that was the point.

jediyoshi

I like how Total Stealth has led me to the most explosive, loudest, kill-all approaches to missions compared to how I actually did them

RulkezX

I agree with most this. Feels more like "Ubisoft does MGS'" than anything else.

ugly

Side Op trouble:

The Side Op is called
The Unlucky Dog 2
So I go in to the hot zone, extract every guard, save the prisoner...
Extraction 1/2
Oh shit... So I wander around the empty guardpost, picking up metals, still searching...
>
Can't find this mother fucker
>
No guards left to get information out of
>
Spend like half an hour running around losing my mind
>
>tfw
I'm the unlucky dog

Can anyone give me a hand?

Side Op trouble:

The Side Op is called
The Unlucky Dog 2
So I go in to the hot zone, extract every guard, save the prisoner...
Extraction 1/2
Oh shit... So I wander around the empty guardpost, picking up metals, still searching...
>
>
No guards left to get information out of
>
Spend like half an hour running around losing my mind
>
>tfw
I'm the unlucky dog

Can anyone give me a hand?

Bring DD, he'll highlight him wherever he is.

Lelcar

Holy shit, I just got to the
quarantine
part of the story. Damn man, I've been playing for over 90 hours up to this point and
these parasites are crippling my empire
. I need this
quarantine over with
, can't even do side ops right now!

Top Bottom