• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

derFeef

I'm in constant anxiety that I miss a thing in this game. Somehow this makes it less enjoyable. Need to get rid of that feeling.

I'm in constant anxiety that I miss a thing in this game. Somehow this makes it less enjoyable. Need to get rid of that feeling.

From the looks of it - (and I may be wrong) but anything missable in missions seems possible to get by replaying the missions so that's good.

I plan to scour for all the hidden secrets after I'm done though!

My big anxiety is that I won't develop the intended weapons and gadgets. It seems like that could seriously Impact how missions play out

SomTervo

MGS4 was the "swan song" for the MGS series. Lengthy cutscenes, story insanity, and everything you came to love about the series in one bloated package.

MGSV is the series' rebirth as a meaty gameplay-focused series that has no care for delivering the Metal Gear series' staples. It's not a fanboy's dream. This is what happens when it is stripped to the core of gameplay mechanics and those are expanded upon to its fullest.

This is an excellent analysis.

I was thinking the other day it almost shouldn't even be called Metal Gear Solid.

Maybe 'Metal Gear' alone would be better. Or even just 'The Phantom Pain'.

But branding and consumer familiarity and all that.

Edit: the easiest option would have been to drop the V, so it's just 'Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain'. (But people still by into sequential-number sequels soooo.)

So I finally got around to finishing off Ground Zeroes (so I can get the extra stuff) and while it was decent, it was also a pretty frustrating experience in places too, so I was worried it would be the same for TPP.

Luckily this is not the case and opening up the game world makes a massive difference to the core experience, from being boxed in with the enemy like in GZ, especially now they have a longer (more realistic) field of vision. Plus all the extra stuff they have added makes this game so addictive, I'm hooked.

I'm about 10 hours in and only 3% complete, thanks to the Side Ops, resource collecting and just generally exploring to find things. Cannot wait to get some more upgrades and get further into the story now.

Jintor

Are heavy weapons the only chance I have of penetrating riot suits? Guess I gotta go on more rapid or surfing. Every fucker in this jungle is armoured up gawddamn

sonto340

I was thinking the other day it almost shouldn't even be called Metal Gear Solid.

Edit: the easiest option would have been to drop the V, so it's just 'Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain'. (But people still by into sequential-number sequels soooo.)
I feel like this is why it Metal Gear Solid V and not Metal Gear Solid 5

Hasney

Are heavy weapons the only chance I have of penetrating riot suits? Guess I gotta go on more rapid or surfing. Every fucker in this jungle is armoured up gawddamn

Rocket fist all day long.

Don't forget, you can deploy your combat team to stop the enemy from having access to these.

ugly

Bring DD, he'll highlight him wherever he is.

I never found D-Dog!
I've unlocked missions up to mission
(
11 if you count bumping into Quiet as per enemy conversations
), but not once have I bumped into D-Dog. I'm not playing in an anal way where I have to make sure I get everything, and on my initial run-through I'm not even worrying about mission ranks too much. I guess I'll just re-take the mission. I hope I bump into D-Dog soon though!

He shows up right where you land on Mission 4.

Oh. I do wonder how I missed that!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not that anyone gives a shit, but after trying the game then being a bit disappointed, I took a break (played Mad Max and Until Dawn), came back today and the game is downright brilliant. I just needed some time to clear my head about my expectations. As a long-time Metal Gear fan (been playing since the 8-bit days) I came into this game expecting Metal Gear Solid 4, part 2, I think. The game is completely different.

I just want to take a moment to speak to the longtime fans who aren't feeling the game, like I wasn't at first --

1) While stealth is still a great option, DO NOT RESET THE CHECKPOINT if you get spotted, or cause an alert. I did this in my early experiences with the game and it made me miserable. Bad mistake. I thought I could only get good mission rewards for being silent -- NOT TRUE AT ALL. This game is built from the ground up for either approach -- guns blazing, explosions, air strikes -- or just doing your entire mission completely unseen -- they're both valid approaches. Do NOT be afraid to experiment with different options, you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have. You can always replay the mission later to get a a perfect stealth run if you want.
2). Use your cassette player! This game has a shit ton of amazing music that you can listen to while you play, you just have to find the Cassette tapes in missions. If you have any love for 80's music, you'll have a great time hunting down all the songs in bases/outposts. It really sucks to play for hours without any music, definitely use this option.
3)Stop worrying about Boss/Sutherland/Story. Not saying this stuff doesn't matter, but realize this is a different take on Metal Gear -- it's changed. The story comes eventually, but you need to learn to play this like an open-world game and not an old-style MGS game where you are basically funneled into linear sections in a certain order. It's a huge shock to the system at first, the game, while sharing thematic similarities to past games, is very very different.

Also, learn the controls. For Fucksake, they're pretty complex, with lots of little intricacies that are really useful (disarm hold up, multiple CQC chained takedowns, riding the horse with the mini map displayed in the corner, etc etc etc)

SomTervo

So i did missions 28 past night.

The already god-tier level design just outdid itself. Also i got an A grade first time, with one life. Amazeballs.

D-Dog and Quiet are both brilliant, though noth have minor design downsides.

DD is flawless - except that he opens doors sometimes. For example I might climb through a hut's window, get the intel inside (ha), begin creeping back to the window... Then the door will swing open and DD will saunter in, and the guard stationed right outside or walking past will see me and slomo me.

And Quiet is great too, but hard to get into place. If you tell her to scout a base, she'll often miss really obvious guards (eg in spotlight towers). So to move her about i might give the Attack command, for which you get far more precision - but then she'll sart shooting once she's placed, ruining everything (possibly even if she's silenced.)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

I feel like this is another game forced to be a Metal Gear game. It feels more like a spinoff.

That said, if they added this gameplay on top of old school Metal Gear cutscene story heavy goodness, it would be the greatest game of all time. If Konami decides to remake Metal Gear 1 and/or 2 I may not be able to withhold on buying the shit out of that, despite what they did to Kojima.

ugly

1) While stealth is still a great option, DO NOT RESET THE CHECKPOINT if you get spotted, or cause an alert. I did this in my early experiences with the game and it made me miserable. Bad mistake. I thought I could only get good mission rewards for being silent -- NOT TRUE AT ALL. This game is built from the ground up for either approach -- guns blazing, explosions, air strikes -- or just doing your entire mission completely unseen -- they're both valid approaches. Do NOT be afraid to experiment with different options, you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have. You can always replay the mission later to get a a perfect stealth run if you want.
Hell yeah! It's such a dynamic game. My flatmate keeps using resets but a huge part of the game is experiencing the switch of being caught, and seeing where it leads you. It's exciting to be sneaking away, taking people down, get caught, shoot some dudes, whistle for D-Horse and move to a safer spot where you can continue the fight. Sometimes getting caught provides a great opporunity to approach from a different position where the guarding has become subsequently weaker. Scenarios are so exciting in this way. I feel people worry too much about approaching games they like from a certain angle, to do it the 'right way'. But, it's just a game after all. My primary goal is to have fun!

Also, learn the controls. For Fucksake, they're pretty complex, with lots of little intricacies that are really useful (disarm hold up, multiple CQC chained takedowns, riding the horse with the mini map displayed in the corner, etc etc etc)

Hey, I can't tell if it's placebo or not, but it feels like (during an enemy chokehold) tapping R2 knocks em out faster than simply holding it. Can anyone confirm?

Hasney

Hey, I can't tell if it's placebo or not, but it feels like (during an enemy chokehold) tapping R2 knocks em out faster than simply holding it. Can anyone confirm?

It does, but apparently they stay stunned for less time. No idea if that's true though, they're fultoned out before I can tell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Side Op trouble:

The Side Op is called
The Unlucky Dog 2
So I go in to the hot zone, extract every guard, save the prisoner...
Extraction 1/2
Oh shit... So I wander around the empty guardpost, picking up metals, still searching...
>
Can't find this mother fucker
>
No guards left to get information out of
>
Spend like half an hour running around losing my mind
>
>tfw
I'm the unlucky dog

Can anyone give me a hand?

DD or Quiet on scout mode will point mission specific people and highlight them in a purple cone. Quiet can miss people if they're not in her line of sight but DD will detect shit 100m away and put it on your HUD.

Is my memory off or is there no New Game option in the menu?

Continue, DL GZ save data, and options is what I remember.

I haven't finished my first playthrough but would like to start the game from scratch again with my MB at default.

Hasney

Is my memory off or is there no New Game option in the menu?

Continue, DL GZ save data, and options is what I remember.

I haven't finished my first playthrough but would like to start the game from scratch again with my MB at default.

There isn't, you delete your save it seems.

SomTervo

Quite big mid-game spoilers ahead. From main missions in the late 20s.

So, I regarding the
virus
plotline that takes off from about mission 2
5. And what the answer is to that challenge.

It was a bit frustrating for me. I worked out that the virus was to do with Language very quickly. My god it's an ingenious thing. I noticed that none of the guys in Quarantine had English as a language, but I didn't think anything of it. I was too busy thinking about what language they did have. And they all had Kikongo. So I went through and Quarantined every bloody guy who has Kikongo in his Languages list – including some of those who spoke English...

Why can't we filter All Staff by language?!

On Episode 30 now.
Can't wait to push on later tonight.

I feel like this is another game forced to be a Metal Gear game. It feels more like a spinoff.

That said, if they added this gameplay on top of old school Metal Gear cutscene story heavy goodness, it would be the greatest game of all time. If Konami decides to remake Metal Gear 1 and/or 2 I may not be able to withhold on buying the shit out of that, despite what they did to Kojima.

I would agree if it weren't for the missions where MGSV goes full-blown MGS. There are moments where it matches and surpasses MGS1, MGS2, MGS3 – when it really commits to smaller missions that feature linear journeys through tight areas. (Edit: there are probably two of these every 10 missions I'd say.)

40 hours in and in the late 20s Episode-wise, I think this game encompasses all of the best bits of MGS in one go.

I think the only thing I miss is more weapons/supressors hidden in the environment.

Edit: I think my biggest criticism is the main missions which are almost identical to certain Side Missions. I really wish they focused the really plot-critical Main MIssions down to like 10-20 great missions, and relegated the generic "capture this guy", "blow up this thing" Episodes to the 'Important side-ops' list. Like they really have barely any point in being main missions.

I suppose the structural difference is that they are in closed off areas, whereas side-ops aren't. And that's fair enough. That makes a lot of sense from level design/game design perspective.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would agree if it weren't for the missions where MGSV goes full-blown MGS. There are moments where it matches and surpasses MGS1, MGS2, MGS3 – when it really commits to smaller missions that feature linear journeys through tight areas. (Edit: there are probably two of these every 10 missions I'd say.)
I agree that these are absolutely fantastic, but the ratio of amazing story driven sequences to amazing gameplay sequences is ridiculously unbalanced. Of course gameplay should be more prevalent, but not SO much more so that the story seems extremely sparse by comparison, at least in a game like MGS, where the story is a big part of the appeal (and remains so here! Despite not being there that often.)

I would also list a bunch of awesome things this game revealed plot-wise for longtime MGS fans, but I'll save it for the spoiler thread. I will say my absolute favorite is *HUEY SPOILERS FROM ENDGAME*
Strangelove being Otacon's mom, and that picture of little Hal.

This Metal Gear game is keeping me on edge in some missions. The adrenalin in my body is so high that I sometimes fear I'll faint. Holy shit this game. My controller was so sweaty after some missions.

Feels like a survival horror game sometimes.

A-V-B

In mid 20's now... only thing I've found not fun is a certain gameplay departure on motherbase.

Going through your list of 500+ crew for everyone who speaks Kikongo is like doing fucking accounting. Please, Kojima, why. Why why why.

Had one soldier wind up in sickbay from PTSD. In the middle of all the chaos that happened in Mission 12, I forgot to take a look at all the people I fultoned and I ended up with one on troublemaker who triggered a fight to break out in MB. I should have found him and threw his ass in the water instead of dismissing him

JimPanzer

This Metal Gear game is keeping me on edge in some missions. The adrenalin in my body is so high that I sometimes fear I'll faint. Holy shit this game. My controller was so sweaty after some missions.

absolutely agree! I had missions where I my hands were shaking after I was done and I had to calm myself by smoking a cigarette lol

In mid 20's now... only thing I've found not fun is a certain gameplay departure on motherbase.

Going through your list of 500+ crew for everyone who speaks Kikongo is like doing fucking accounting. Please, Kojima, why. Why why why.

yeah this was annoying as hell. I suspect they didn't expect you to have that many MB members at that point, but no matter what, at least let me organize them by
language

usp84

Side Op trouble:

The Side Op is called
The Unlucky Dog 2
So I go in to the hot zone, extract every guard, save the prisoner...
Extraction 1/2
Oh shit... So I wander around the empty guardpost, picking up metals, still searching...
>
>
No guards left to get information out of
>
Spend like half an hour running around losing my mind
>
>tfw
I'm the unlucky dog

Can anyone give me a hand?

They are in the same room.I didnt see him at first too but then i returned after searching the whole area lol

Chariot

Gunships scare me the most. I could shoot them, but I don't have anything that can target it, only the normal launcher. Plus, I don't want to alert everybody. Especially taking out heavy vehicles missions are tense with me robbing around, tranq sniping the soldiers, the robbing to the tanks and fulton them and only then able to call in the launcher and shoot the damn gunship.

Rizzi

So the Ground Zeroes save transfer gets you the sneaking suit from that game.
Is it better in any way than the one you end up researching?

Calling this a great game but 'a bad Metal Gear' has to be one of the laziest forms of criticism I've heard lately.

I know people will miss the 90 minute cutscenes, but there has to be a better way putting it. If you don't like the story or other aspects of the game that's fine, doesn't change the fact that this is still a new Metal Gear Solid.

After the bloated MGS4 I couldn't imagine a better follow-up. The ultimate stealth sandbox and a G.I Joe simulator.

Danneee

Does Africa become better later on? After two or three missions I feel that it's so much uglier and boring than Afghanistan.

A-V-B

I've just come here to post this the following:

Fuck mission 16.

Thank you, thats is all.

How you do it. Based on how I did it. S-Rank.

Just run straight to the airport in gatling gun'd D-Walker. Smash through the chainlink fence on, I believe, the south end of the base, but it may be east side. Head right for the big building at the center, have NVG on to look for regular soldiers. If you're hauling ass like me, one will be coming down the stairs just outside that central building. Tranq/silence him. Go through the core of the center building to the other side. Truck is on your right surrounded by about three regular soldiers, one who might be checking the power grid, the other two posted on the far side of the truck. You should be tranq'ing or silently disposing of in some way. Then stop right before the trigger with the baddies which is behind the truck. Get out of D-Walker. Then approach the back of the truck to trigger the cutscene, and fulton the truck as soon as the cutscene ends. Then get right back in your D-Walker and gatling the FUCK out of the big bads. Kaz will be so pleased.

KORNdoggy

I agree that these are absolutely fantastic, but the ratio of amazing story driven sequences to amazing gameplay sequences is ridiculously unbalanced. Of course gameplay should be more prevalent, but not SO much more so that the story seems extremely sparse by comparison, at least in a game like MGS, where the story is a big part of the appeal (and remains so here! Despite not being there that often.)

I would also list a bunch of awesome things this game revealed plot-wise for longtime MGS fans, but I'll save it for the spoiler thread. I will say my absolute favorite is *HUEY SPOILERS FROM ENDGAME*
Strangelove being Otacon's mom, and that picture of little Hal.

i think it's a tough thing to balance. i find most open world games take one of 2 approaches

1. the approach of GTAV, where each missions offers story progression, plenty of dialog and characterization but due to it's more crafted nature, doesn't give you much freedom in approach while playing. it's story missions become linear essentially.

2. the approach of just cause or MGSV where the narrative is low, but the level of freedom is high. great if there is enough variety in situations, but i'm yet to play a game where that is the case...MGSV included.

the ideal is a balance...but i feel few games have achieved this. batman, and assassins creed come to mind. these have a strong narrative flow, but the combat situations are designed to be sandboxy. you can use the open world to approach differently, you have abilities that alter gameplay, and style of play. MGSV should have been more like that imo. it should have retained the strong narrative and story telling, but given you freedom like the game currently has. currently it's a bit of a far cry 2/just cause 2...not much in terms of story, lots of options in terms of gameplay, but not much variety unless you start creating your own fun.

Top Bottom