• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

SomTervo

When does the missions get more interesting. I am currently up to mission 5 or 6 and I'm just not getting gripped. The way the story is being told via cassette tapes is dull and the missions aren't great. When does it get good?

IIRC missions 6, 12 and 18 are excellent. Maybe a number or two off each.

I'm a hardcore MGS fan and i do think that MGSV has a few classic MGS style levels in there, that match the best of the series. They're quite spread out, though.

kobu

Oh fuck! I just filtoned a tank with someone in it... didnt know that was possible!! And all this time I destroyed them with RPGs...

Tranq the prisoner they bring at the third outpost they visit

I beat the mission a long time ago so I know who the target is. I"m supposed to listen to all the prisoners get interrogated to complete one of the mission tasks but the guards just stand around when they get to the last one.

Durden77

Big Boss in cuscene : "We DON'T draw weapons on comrades."

Immediately after cutscene grabs the closest comrade holds a knife to his neck and asks him where my fucking diamonds are.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Didn't think to fire the tranq guns continously, but I prefer headshots anyway which is hard to pull off in the D-Walker. Especially with no FP mode.

Ohh the spoiler is very interesting. I'll use it a lot more for side ops considering ranking doesn't matter once I get that.

I beat a boss with it...

Mission 20 spoilers
Fire Volgin. Felt fucking great but it took a while.

I tried doing the same thing but when it was taking a while I thought it wouldn't work.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
About mission 20
you guys did use the water towers that are in the map right? Immediately incapacitated the Man on Fire.

Durden77

I tried doing the same thing but when it was taking a while I thought it wouldn't work.

It probably took
around 100 shots, maybe more. I didn't think it was going to work either but I had already used all the the water tanks up in the level and didn't know you could hit him into the reservoir, so it was my only hope lol. Finally it got him though. Felt good killing him with the water pistol the kids gave me after having to watch that other kid die.

akira28

Big Boss in cuscene : "We DON'T draw weapons on comrades."

Immediately after cutscene grabs the closest comrade holds a knife to his neck and asks him where my fucking diamonds are.

"tee hee. I don't know what came over me Big Boss, I didn't know you liked rough diamonds. ;) CQC me harder BB" lol. that game does get weird. I was listening in on two of the women gossip about which of the Commanders they would have sex with. The Boss was not on the list, lol. "The Boss? The Boss is, you know...the Boss."

I bet he smells like the shadow of death and most women find it creepy. doesn't strike me as an Old Spice man.

I just completed mission 43.

Am I done with the game or not ? Do I need to do the Extreme/Subsistance missions in order for the new missions to unlock ?

Why can't the game be clear about any of this stuff ? This is getting really frustrating considering how shit the story has been so far.

From now on everytime I watch an action movie from now on, every time I see a character walk away from the mass destruction he/she left behind I'm gonna think "yeah sounds like something that would happen in MGS5."

So is there anyway to figure out who needs to be
quarantined? It's really dumb trying to build mother base dealing with this with HUNDREDS OF SOLDIERS!

IIRC missions 6, 12 and 18 are excellent. Maybe a number or two off each.

I'm a hardcore MGS fan and i do think that MGSV has a few classic MGS style levels in there, that match the best of the series. They're quite spread out, though.

What I love about the game is that while it has quite a few of the classic MGS levels it also kind of shows the intelligence work that leads up to them. I really enjoy the missions where you go and track targets, abduct them, etc to gain other leads. When you get some of the cassettes near the end of Chapter 1 it actually makes the whole thing pretty tight and shows a much stronger throughline than immediately apparent.

It feels like a previous MGS game would have just started at Level 28
infiltration to get Code Talker
with a long mission briefing talking about all that went before (the target, his goals, your opposition). Instead that's not needed in MGSV because you've played through all of those steps yourself.

duckroll

Finished up episode 45 and 46, watched the episode 51 bonus stuff on Youtube. Pretty much done with the story for the game, except for like, another 12 tape tracks to listen to. Took about 67 hours. Had a great time with the majority of the gameplay, and by the end of 45 I actually liked what they did with Quiet as a character. Most of her design was still super embarrassing, especially that "rain" cutscene. But the way the narrative mechanics of her character came together at the end worked for me. Can't say the same for most of Chapter 2 though. Huey is a turd, Code Talker is underused in everything but the tapes, Eli's entire story is ????????????? even with the missing episode 51, and the "reveal" in 46 felt really.... silly and pointless to me. There's way too much time spent trying to explain and justify stuff which I didn't really feel connected to, and not enough time actually making me care about the actual stuff.

Highlights of Chapter 2:
- Kaz's Hamburger tapes. Top shelf stuff. Kojima humor is pretty great when it just drops all pretense and embraces being silly and weird without heavy handedness.
- Episode 43 made me really pissed off, which was probably one of the few times in the game where I actually felt anything for a story event, so I guess it worked? Dunno.
- Episode 45 worked really well, and one of the only times in the story where it feels like there was any attempt to build up something character wise and then use it for a climatic pay off.
- Having access to Subsistence and Total Stealth versions of selected old missions is a pretty great gameplay option, wish they just added them as modifiers for all missions though.

Everything else was a huge step down from Chapter 1. Lazier design for all the Main Ops, weird ass Motherbase cutscenes which make Diamond Dogs seem really incompetent,
parasites, parasites, more parasites
. Lol.

Salsa

man this blue light door on the medical platform you guys were talking about as an "easter egg"

wut

that was some major story stuff. nothing easter eggy about it

Anbec7

This is just a question about the patch and bug related stuff.
I saw that my ps4 downloaded the patch but everytime I see the screen at the beginning of the game it still says 1.02... any ideas???

Permanently A

These Extreme, Subsistence, and Perfect Stealth missions are actually really fucking hard. Any tips? I didn't realize how much of a crutch I was using Reflex as.

duckroll

Wow, Mission 29 is a giant pain the ass.

It's a pain in the ass until you realize a few things:

- You can time CQC as a QTE when the Skulls do their melee teleport attack to counter, it's effective and fun.

- The airport is filled with tools you can use - mortars on roofs, mountain machine guns, and most importantly - an AA gun turret. Using normal attacks to remove their armor, then use these things to finish them off.

- You can always hide and call in strikes too.

- When at a total loss, swap your buddy for D-Walker.

jesus christ, almost had a god damn heart attack. During a mission a notification came up saying something like cant create save file and I needed to delete my save file. I am at 96% overall completion. I pressed pause and it crashed my game. Thankfully everything seems to be fine going back in

Wait a second...I looked online and it said I had to have all the missions 1-45 done to unlock mission 46?? Is this true? I haven't been doing a lot of the modified missions... Any help?
I just finished 43 and it looks like this playthrough may be done :(

AKyemeni

I don't think you sniped the pilot and rather got the engines. Which is still just as badass that with two shots it goes down. Holy crap.

I thought that too at first, but if you watch the video closer, you can see blood splatter on the windshield. And I have tried shooting the engine before and it never went down in only 2 shots.

duckroll

Wait a second...I looked online and it said I had to have all the missions 1-45 done to unlock mission 46?? Is this true? I haven't been doing a lot of the modified missions... Any help?
I just finished 43 and it looks like this playthrough may be done :(

No. You don't. You just need to trigger all the cutscenes which matter, and listen to all the tapes. Make sure you did all the yellow marked Side Ops too.
After finishing 43, you still need to do side ops or whatever to make time pass so you get more tapes and move a certain plot point forward. After you get another major cutscene, 46 should unlock.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that too at first, but if you watch the video closer, you can see blood splatter on the windshield. And I have tried shooting the engine before and it never went down in only 2 shots.

Ohhhh. That's amazing.

Anbec7

so, I just ran into the mission (24? I think) where...

everyone is getting infected! I have good staff is there a way to stop it or do I have to continue with the missions?

No. You don't. You just need to trigger all the cutscenes which matter, and listen to all the tapes. Make sure you did all the yellow marked Side Ops too.
After finishing 43, you still need to do side ops or whatever to make time pass so you get more tapes and move a certain plot point forward. After you get another major cutscene, 46 should unlock.

Ok I also read I have to have mother based maxed out and quiets bond all the way up to get 45-46... Is that not true either?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
so, I just ran into the mission (24? I think) where...

everyone is getting infected! I have good staff is there a way to stop it or do I have to continue with the missions?

Check what's common between each infected person. You can quarantine them.

On Demand

Banned
Just want to say the auto save in this game is fucking terrible. You think it saves at a certain point but nope.

Anyway, when do the prisoners you transferred from GZ show up? I just did it but I don't see them in my staff management.

I asked this in the FOB thread but I'll ask it here too since this thread gets so much more traffic.

How do I equip weapons, items, and outfits to my FOB soldiers? How do I tell them to wear the battle dress or sneaking suit? How can I get them to use shields and helmets?

Just want to say the auto save in this game is fucking terrible. You think it saves at a certain point but nope.

Anyway, when do the prisoners you transferred from GZ show up? I just did it but I don't see them in my staff management.

Usually it autosaves when you leave a base/outpost when you travel a certain distance. When the notifications start popping up with who you fultoned, resources being processed, etc. is when it usually autosaves.

The GZ soldiers showed up for me after i completed a mission and am in the results screen. Kaz will tell you about the people from Cuba joining the team.

Oh so that's what I was missing. Are the tapes counted as listened if you just press play and move to the next one ? I really tried listening to them but they bore me to death.

Xpliskin

Alright I'm at mission 22.

This is the best MGS after 1, like it's been a while I've been excited about a game like that.

But,

what the hell is that FOB / Security bullshit ?

Can I just skip it.

Do I really need it ?

what the hell is that FOB / Security bullshit ?

Can I just skip it.

Do I really need it ?

You don't need it at all.

Just disconnect from the game's server, it's what I did.

This way you'll never get bothered by this shit and more importantly, your iDroid will stop being so fucking sluggish.

On Demand

Banned
Usually it autosaves when you leave a base/outpost when you travel a certain distance. When the notifications start popping up with who you fultoned, resources being processed, etc. is when it usually autosaves.
It's very exact about when it saves. I completed a side ops missing at mother base then died and had to do it over again. I figured it saved after each mission. I even tried forcing a save by changing something in the menu but that doesn't work.

FFS.

The GZ soldiers showed up for me after i completed a mission and am in the results screen. Kaz will tell you about the people from Cuba joining the team.

Ah. Thanks.

Xpliskin

You don't need it at all.

Just disconnect from the game's server, it's what I did.

This way you'll never get bothered by this shit and more importantly, your iDroid will stop being so fucking sluggish.

Thanks.

It feels so out of place, like it was shoved in for microtransactions.

Are there any benefits to being connected ?

Randam

Here's a vid I made to show the most efficient way to farm Female soldiers with main high rank in Combat. Their skill goes up with your heroism, and if you don't get one at a high enough level, just restart the mission. Takes about 4-6 minutes per run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkt7N7Th-U

Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music from SME, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
:(

duckroll

Thanks.

It feels so out of place, like it was shoved in for microtransactions.

Are there any benefits to being connected ?

It's not really shoved in for microtransactions, although I'm sure Konami would love to benefit from that anyway. It's a form of multiplayer and advanced base expansion, but it's pretty poorly implemented so you're not going to miss much if you skip it entirely. I think the FOB concept had some neat ideas behind it but none of that really feels executed to the level where it's not a pain in the ass to deal with.

Top Bottom