• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I'm pretty early in the game still (Mission 6 lol), but is Mother Base always so confusing? I have no idea what all I can actually DO in the area. None of the doors seem to open so far and it's just a bunch of staff that I go around punching to raise morale. I've done a few target practice side ops, but that's it. Can I find Ocelot or Kaz and talk to them?

Some of the best moments come in the free roaming from side op to side op. I came across this outpost near the Afghanistan central base with 6 men, two of them napping in a small brick dwelling while the others were spread out on guard duty. I analyzed the 4 men standing and tranq sniped the two who were A++ or above. I then took out my assault rifle, unscrewed the suppressor to conserve it, and let loose on those other useless bums.

The rifle fire woke the two sleeping indoors and they came out to investigate, one of them using binoculars and the other hiding behind the bricks. I unsuppressed tranqed the one looking for me, ran over to the side of the small dwelling while the other guy ran guns blazing to my former position, then snuck behind him and knocked him out cold. All without a scratch.

The 3 custom weapon slot limit is killing me a little bit. I'm really picky with attachments and aesthetics and I like to experiment with a lot of configurations, so I end up having to constantly re-customize to fit in the limit. I would kill for like... 2 more slots, though I could probably utilize 10 total :(

Astarte

tumblr_inline_nupcr16I3Z1rs4bf7_540.png

http://nicht-alles-gold.tumblr.com/

I'm sure other people posted these buuut

Thank you draw community

Durden77

Someone needs to make a video/song called "I don't want to hang out with you, I just want to play MGS5" so i can send it to my friends right now and whenever else I need it.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
That's mission 28!

29 is
terrifying zombies(??) at the downed helicopter.

Best way I found was to counter their melee and avoid all the long range stuff.

Quiets really good at headshotting them. Softens them up.

High caliber weapon to the face works.

leng jai

Mission 31 kinda smells
spent 10 minutes getting the boss down to about 25% health and then got one shotted by a new move he pulls out of his ass

Wow, Mission 29 is a giant pain the ass.

I actually thought it was pretty easy

But then again I also went crazy and just went to town with my assault rifle and rocket launcher plus some fun with grenades and C4. I played with Quiet as well and she does a good job distracting/ weakening them. Obviously post patch as well

Yeah those guys are fuckers. It really will take all you have to fight a bunch of em

Lunar15

Just finished Episode 43.

No, no that's just not how stories work Kojima. God damn, the story in Chapter 2 is a fucking mess. There's no coherency to anything at all. Nothing is built on anything and characters act irrationally. Individual scenes are cool looking, but there's no emotional weight there because the story failed to do the heavy lifting beforehand.

TitusTroy

anyone else feel the boss fight in Mission
was pretty easy?...I just kept running around that tower with my rocket launcher and barely got hit

Something weird is happening with my tranq pistol. I'm only up through Mission 13, but just noticed my suppressor doesn't deteriorate. I can fire every round from it and even tried switching to a different pistol and getting another supply drop with the tranq pistol. Checked the stats for it and it still only has 1 block out of 3. Did I get a glitch?

Finally finished mission 9. Took out all the armor and left the scene like:
Peace.gif

Don't care if I was supposed to save the rebels for a bonus or whatever

I'm pretty early in the game still (Mission 6 lol), but is Mother Base always so confusing? I have no idea what all I can actually DO in the area. None of the doors seem to open so far and it's just a bunch of staff that I go around punching to raise morale. I've done a few target practice side ops, but that's it. Can I find Ocelot or Kaz and talk to them?

There's nothing much for you to do at Mother Base at this point, though its worth returning periodically to get a cutscene and to shower.

IISANDERII

How hard does the game get? I prefer as much stealth as possible and usually just checkpoint back if I get discovered. DD has made the game too easy and now I got Quiet and have read that she's very OP. I'm at Mission 37 I think, Traitor's Caravan.

Allforce

If you just dump everyone at MB into R&D to raise that level up will you just be able to make the weapons they develop to keep? And then redistribute the personnel afterwards?

I've just been auto-assigning everyone and every group is about level 9-10 right now but I cant build shit for weapons it seems until I get R&D raised higher.

wiibomb

Finally went back to main ops, Mission 16. Wtf, I was hidden and it goes into a scene. And.. Why can you sometimes grab them and then not? I'm thinking about smoking the place out.

Then I reload and the target is gone. -_-

I JUST finished this mission, I almost died from a heart attack on the last part where
the skulls come out of the truck
, they are IMPOSIBLE... I died so many time because they
discovered me

Seriously.. this mission got me so pumped ha ha ha

EDIT: and I forgot to tell Quiet to cease fire against them, when I realized, she was being transported to sickbay, I feel so good about finishing the mission, and so bad about quiet... such a bittersweet mission

I love this game

How hard does the game get? I prefer as much stealth as possible and usually just checkpoint back if I get discovered. DD has made the game too easy and now I got Quiet and have read that she's very OP. I'm at Mission 37 I think, Traitor's Caravan.

At that point? Not much unless you're doing the optional missions.

Sun Drugs

The checkpoint system is really starting to piss me off. It is awful. That's not something that's likely to be patched, is it? Guess I have to deal with it.

LiK

no checkpoint for episode
made that much more frustrating that it should've been. anyway, happy to finally unlock FOBs.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Just beat the game and leaving my impressions in here, if you have not completed the game do NOT READ

first ill start with positives of the game
-Gameplay, best gameplay from a metal gear game to date. Everything felt great about it and smooth
-Cinematography, great cinematography my favourite part of the game, big fan of the "one shot" camera, felt like the Raid movies.
-Graphics, great graphics, glad they had to 60fps on current gen consoles felt great
-Guns and Equipment, great variety and being able to customise your own weapons was icing on the cake and left a whole new layer to the game
-Mother base, done well, micromanaged it but didnt feel like a nuisance
-Buddies, great buddies and memorable esp Quiet, loved her backstory and Joosten did one hell of a job.

Negatives
-Story, out of all the metal gear story lines in my opinion this one is the weakest
-Cutscenes, while they were done great and had great direction there was a lack of them. I am the type of metal gear fan where I dont mind the cutscenes to me that is what makes metal gear, metal gear. There should have been less tapes and more scenes to drive the game
-Side ops, it should be my choice in a game if I want to grind for certain things, but no way shape or form should I have to grind to see more of the story. Really annoying how i have to go out of my way to get something
-World, other than posts it felt a tad boring and wish there was more to it and placed in it
-Missions, after a while they got a tad boring. there was no substance to them and most times no real reason for certain missions, felt rehashed. Lots of the missions were forgettable, definitely some stood out but most felt just "there"
-General scope, while I love the open world concept and the "tackle the mission any way you want" I feel like a franchise like metal gear needs to be on somewhat of a leash to get the story out and flowing. Mind you the areas were big, but there needed to be more narrative, mgs needs a little bit of a leash to be fleshed out
-Map/Areas, while i liked how big they were i kind of wish they were a tad smaller. If they were smaller they could have potentially added a few more different areas. After a while I got tired of Afghanistan and Africa. I wish they were a little smaller, and added at least 2-3 different locations
-Demon, where was the Demon, I sure as hell didnt see one or become one
-Ending, Added nothing to the story for me if anything it left me hollow and more holes for me to have to think through. I hate the fact that the entire game we are playing a fraud, a fake a phony. I hate the "dark knight rises" type of ending where anyone can be batman its just a mask and a symbol, much like how anyone can be big boss its just face and a legend. I wish we played as the real big boss. Wish we also saw Zero, this should have been the game where Zero was pitted against Big boss, the PEAK of the tension between them, them going to the lengths of destroying the world to get at each other.
-Overall Story and what could have been, they could have told a great story of the real big boss's downfall, a man broken from being in a 9 year coma. They could really have showed him turn into a demon, lose his mind and begin his progress to hatred and revenge, but they took a stupid turn and said "well your not playing as the real big boss" It doesnt progress the story and just leaves a gap that still needs to be filled
Missed opportunities, Wish they included the real big boss but also Grey Fox at some point, would have loved to see his character grow and big boss giving him the title of Grey fox, would have been a great buddy to bond with and see him earn that title after reaching the highest Bond level with him.

All in all a great game, but not a great Metal gear game, it feels unfinished, the story was lacking, Skull face to me didnt even feel like a real threat, he felt like he was just "there" To me a villain like Volgin in mgs3 felt like a real threat. Great game gameplay wise, story wise dropped the ball on several occasions and hate that THIS is the last metal gear kojima game, personally not a good note to leave off on.

BTW I am looking for a new game rich in story that wont really leave me in disappointment, how is the witcher 3, any good?

Jintor

No, no that's just not how stories work Kojima. God damn, the story in Chapter 2 is a fucking mess. There's no coherency to anything at all. Nothing is built on anything and characters act irrationally. Individual scenes are cool looking, but there's no emotional weight there because the story failed to do the heavy lifting beforehand.

agreed

43 is such a cool standalone thing but in the context of the larger story it falls apart

If you just dump everyone at MB into R&D to raise that level up will you just be able to make the weapons they develop to keep? And then redistribute the personnel afterwards?

I've just been auto-assigning everyone and every group is about level 9-10 right now but I cant build shit for weapons it seems until I get R&D raised higher.
if you pump and dump R&D, any level reqs you no longer meet can get walled off, i think it was the game said

never tried it though... i'm guessing maybe it won't let you equip the items, but if they're already equipped it's ok

I just finished a combat deployment that basically set me up for life.

Roughly 20.000.000 GMP worth of Precious Metals. Ridiculous.

Rough diamond hunting and low-level deployments can now kindly fuck off.

Mission 31 kinda smells
spent 10 minutes getting the boss down to about 25% health and then got one shotted by a new move he pulls out of his ass

On my first try I
got the boss down to a tiny bit of HP and then all of a sudden Kid Mantis pops up right in my face. Before I realised how close he was I had fired a rocket which killed me instatly :(

I S ranked it with all bonus objectives on my third try though.

atr0cious

The checkpoint system is really starting to piss me off. It is awful. That's not something that's likely to be patched, is it? Guess I have to deal with it.
For a quick save, go to staff management and do an auto assign. I like to stay out in the field, especially in the second world, so it's really useful.

Speaking of which, I felt like the intro level to that world was a direct homage to MGS3. I was grinning from ear to ear as I sprinted across that land. It also made me love the wetwork/scarf combo, still use desert fox and splitter in Afghanistan, though.

Also, naked DD is the best. "Keep em busy" is so useful. Combine that with a wait/bark combo, you've got a true infiltrator tool. Quiet made me feel bored, so I only use her on panic missions if things go to shit. Bonding with her was embarrassing, especially because I was streaming some of the worst situations of that. Thank goodness for the tranq sniper mod, I'll do it my damn self.

Ralemont

not me

Plenty of emotional weight there, in my opinion. In Mission 43
I had to kill some soldiers that were there with me since the beginning. :( Additionally, once you find out who was behind it, it's not just a random disconnected event as it completes a character arc in the game.

LiK

gotta say i was super happy to get a S rank in episode 20 my first try. really proud that i basically stealthed through the entire mission until
forced boss battle
which i figured out super fast.

need to repeat: first try blind! :D

CO-6U4nUAAAiC19.jpg:large

^i just finished Mission 20 last night too ...
that ending scene was pretty intense, I love the horror stuff in this game. i had basically cleared that entire area and I kept thinking to myself... so big... so empty... i know this just HAS to be a boss fight area haha so i knew beforehand so I had a heavy weapon air dropped to me. problem is, I air dropped a rocket launcher hahaha didn't know it was the Man on Fire so that was rather useless ;p

after clearing the whole area, i was already pretty tense because it was so quiet and eerie, and ocelot commented on the windows being plastered shut... so I slowly creep up to the door and from about 5 feet back, i notice the stains around the door... what, that's actually red... blood... and then i looked behind me and saw just how huge and long the blood and guts trail was :O

intense and ominous part of the game at 3am in a dark room with loud surround sound

reminded me a bit of MGS1 when you walk into the hallway before otocan/cyborg ninja and it's littered with corpses.. an ominous 'wtf happened here.'

They are definitely people you've extracted, I first noticed this when i bumped into my first female DD on the medical platform. After scanning her with the Scope it came up with the same name and has the same face as the picture in staff management.

My guess is that each platform maybe populated with the top 4-5 ranked DDs in that field, so maybe you've just not extracted anyone better that your original members.
cool... same stats, too? i mean, same stats, too? i mean, same face and name basically confirms it tho

i oughta find out which ddog this guy is (the one that has the gun jam while target practicing in front of ocelot) because he's the one guy (or seems to be... exact same face and hair) that is always standing by the helipad when I go back to MB

Afrodium

Banned
I know it's been said before but I finally saw the rain scene and its the dumbest cutscene I've ever seen in a video game. I expected it to be bad, but damn.

gotta say i was super happy to get a S rank in episode 20 my first try. really proud that i basically stealthed through the entire mission until
forced boss battle
which i figured out super fast.

need to repeat: first try blind! :D

CO-6U4nUAAAiC19.jpg:large

I feel like I could have potentially gotten an S on this if
I didn't get lost going up the cliff after the misty valley and had found a source of water more quickly. Oh, and I didn't realize that the truck after the first base would bring me closer to my destination. Had to settle for A for being too slow.

^yeah i'm surprised they didn't just leave Bond in for D-walker and let it represent 'Familiarity' or something instead, tying upgrades to your 'bond' technical proficiency

doesn't really matter... i just like watching bars fill up lol

wiibomb

So, I'm at 3 DD simbols to max out DD and Quiet bonds, I love each of them, they ofer unique aproaches to the mission, DD is a hell more towards full stealth while Quiet is more about silent shots..

While Quiet can scout an area to find enemies, it is never as quick as DD and always is somewhat imprecise as some enemies are not identified, while DD cannot tranq everybody on sight like Quiet. With the "Cover Me" command, Quiet can almost capture a whole outpost

Bond ranking with a robot would be super silly.

I wish D-walker had a bond ranking.

They could go a whole new level with the AI theme of Peace Walker and this game and with the "Ghost in the Machine" theme.

It is not that weird

^i just finished Mission 20 last night too ...
that ending scene was pretty intense, I love the horror stuff in this game. i had basically cleared that entire area and I kept thinking to myself... so big... so empty... i know this just HAS to be a boss fight area haha so i knew beforehand so I had a heavy weapon air dropped to me. problem is, I air dropped a rocket launcher hahaha didn't know it was the Man on Fire so that was rather useless ;p

after clearing the whole area, i was already pretty tense because it was so quiet and eerie, and ocelot commented on the windows being plastered shut... so I slowly creep up to the door and from about 5 feet back, i notice the stains around the door... what, that's actually red... blood... and then i looked behind me and saw just how huge and long the blood and guts trail was :O

intense and ominous part of the game at 3am in a dark room with loud surround sound

reminded me a bit of MGS1 when you walk into the hallway before otocan/cyborg ninja and it's littered with corpses.. an ominous 'wtf happened here.'

Yeah misson 20 is my favorite so far. Such good atmosphere with the mist before entering the tunnel leading to the bloody warehouse. Finding the
P.T. radio easter egg
also helps add to the ominousness of the mission.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Finally finished this. Clocked in over 50 hours. Unbelievable ride. A thought I had about this game very early on was more prescient than I could have imagined, but I'll save that for the spoiler thread. Definitely the best Metal Gear, and definitely my game of the generation so far. After MGS4, I figured they were never going to match MGS3, but they pretty much blew right past it.

Is raising your bond with your horse so it can shit on command really that much better?

Making Kiefer tell his horse to "do it" and shit on command is probably in my top 10 of favorite metal gear things.

Finally finished this. Clocked in over 50 hours. Unbelievable ride. A thought I had about this game very early on was more prescient than I could have imagined, but I'll save that for the spoiler thread. Definitely the best Metal Gear, and definitely my game of the generation so far. After MGS4, I figured they were never going to match MGS3, but they pretty much blew right past it.

Pretty much my response. Incredible ride right through the end and its definitely my GOTG as well. Its very rare where I can clock in about 50-60 hours into a game and still want to spend so much more time playing it.

Saven

Banned
Just ran into
the rain scene. I was pushing my back into my chair so hard I think I might've left a permanent mark. That might've been worse than the proposal scene from MGS4, which is the worst cutscene in the whole series IMO.

Top Bottom