• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Moronwind

Banned
MGS2 snake was the worst design costume wise

That award has to go to Portable Ops where he's wearing those bizarre stockings.
I believe his sneaking suit in MGS2 is the same one from MGS1 but without the padded vest. Honestly I think every new iteration of Snake has been an improvement over the last, Yoji Shinkawa never ceases to impress. Even the design of shirtless Snake in MGSV seems to have had an absurd amount of thought put into it.
I'm also glad they finally ditched the bandana, it was getting a bit old.

Ludens

Banned
This game's plost is just stupid: in
mission 12 you see the Boss AI pod...and you do NOTHING. You left it here, after what happened in Peace Walker. Than later the game tells you "Ehi, it's time to take away Huey, go back on the camp and take that AI pod.

This is just stupid on so many levels.

Forkball

MGS 3 had the best sneaking suit.

2781645-6115918673-mgs3_.jpg

It looks like he's ready to go into space with that thing.

You can't mention that without mentioning

Vocal cord parasites

I swear every time he said this it was the same sound clip spliced into the dialog.

Like he only said it once and every other time they just had him say "vcp" or something, then changed their mind and fixed it in post.

What glitch ?

I picked up the Stun Grenade blueprint during mission 14 and probably restarted due to being seen, which removes the blueprint from your collection, but does not put the blueprint item back in the world to be collected, meaning it's unobtainable.

I'm hoping they can do a quick fix, like make uncollected blueprints follow the same respawning principles as resource containers. I kinda want to be done with playing this as soon as possible.

SomTervo

once you see a yellow circle abort mission. you have to get far away before this happens usually

Is it possible to enter a mission extract some prisoners and guards and walk out without finishing the main objective?

Just change a setting in the settings menu, or do any Moter Base management on your iDroid to prompt a save. Eg start a combat deployment, shuffle staff, start some research. Do this to start a save then you can extract by Return to ACC in the pause menu to save the person.

Blitzhex

Just change a setting in the settings menu, or do any Moter Base management on your iDroid to prompt a save. Eg start a combat deployment, shuffle staff, start some research. Do this to start a save then you can extract by Return to ACC in the pause menu to save the person.

once you see a yellow circle abort mission. you have to get far away before this happens usually

Thanks a lot, that works.

knerl

The pacing in this game is seriously bad..

The end of chapter one
finally went a little balls to the walls crazy, then at the beginning of chapter 2, I had to do some totally unrelated missions to randomly progress the story.

Same problem with the mission where
the second infection breaks out at Mother Base. Totally fucking crazy mission with real feels, only resulting in a total dead stop in the story afterwards

Seems I have to complete older missions with harder difficulty, to again randomly progress the story.

It's gotten to the point where I don't know if I'll bother.

Good game in it self, but a pretty bad Metal Gear Solid game. Makes me so sad. :(

The pacing is up to you. Gameplay wise it's a fantastic MGS game and a superb game as such. Absolutely feels like a MGS game gameplay wise while also being the most dynamic game out there to date. Narratively it can be really slow. Although it's told in a very different way from how it's traditionally done. It's a love/hate game. In many regards it's the best MGS-game, but at the same time it might be one of the worse in others.

How random is it in terms of progression though? I too had to complete pretty much every previous mission available in a higher difficulty to advance at one point.

Panzon

Did mission 10 and didn't kill or alert anyone but received a C rank and a Shark codename...

It saisd the mission took me over 2 hours to complete, but I know it didn't. Maybe the game registered mission 9 and 10 together for some reason? This happen to anyone else?

P.S. DD is a godsend. Makes the game so much easier to stealth

Been trying to avoid the thread since spoilers have been rampant since I last checked a few days ago.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts.

- Made it to Chapter
yesterday, and played a few hours since. I get the comments about the pacing, but I'm loving the missions too much. I've been seeing yellow missions pop up one after another, so it doesn't look like I'll feel blocked from progressing, and it's clear that those extreme / variable missions are optional (still trying them though :p)

- Have yet to encounter any bad plot elements when I take the rest of the series into account. I do however expect major lore contradiction by the end of the game, especially since Kojima himself said he would probably have some retconning to do, particularly when it comes to the MSX games.

- Gameplay continues to be sublime, just wonderfully satisfying to play. All the little pieces come together beautifully.

Mr Git

I have 100 hours playtime and I've only just got to the second chapter. Most of my time is spent doing side-ops, FOB missions and rescuing animals.

Lynx_7

So mission 11
cloaked in silence

I randomly ran into it when going for a side op. I had read the trick about using supply drops in the small details thread. So I did that. Anyone knows what happens if you beat her with a lethal weapon. Or if you choose to shoot her rather than extract her?

Also, I sort of want to replay the mission and beat her legitimately. But the only sniper weapon I have is lethal. If I replay and kill her, will the game consider her dead, or will it remember me sparing her the first time?

You can beat her with a lethal weapon with no problems, the cutscene wil just play normally afterwards and you get the choice to either kill her or spare her. That's what I did my first try, there's absolutely no repercussions. I don't know what happens if you shoot her though, but the game will probably remember you already have her as a partner, but don't take my word for it.

Ok, so I've finished the main missions, doing all the side ops and development, and now
taking a shower (multiples times) doesn't clean the blood?

Is this a bug or related to what I did throughout the game?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's actual in game time. Turning off the PS4 and coming back in a day does NOT count towards the counter.

"In game time" is vague.

When you're outside you can very clearly pass by an hour in mere minutes in game, but the long development times do not operate on that same time scale.

Wagram

I'm just going to follow a steam guide and go for animals that don't look familiar, because at this point I've caught the same ones 500 million times.

Figured it out. Look at the encyclopedia entries: If you have the animal then a picture will appear on the entry. If you've seen the animal before, but did not extract it then there will be no picture. If you've never seen the animal then the entry will list as a ? mark.

wiibomb

What percentage does chapter 2 start at? I'm 80 hours in and I don't think I am there yet? 42%..

It really depends on how much side ops you have done, also R&D development, since that counts towrds that percentaje, well in fact, also the S ranks on missions and the tasks completed.

There isn't a specific number

Edit: chapter 2 starts at mission

Top Bottom