• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

TitusTroy

I've done a ton of side ops. I'm literally waiting on one yellow combat deployment mission that takes two hours to complete. I've already failed it twice, despite a 78 percent success rate. Do I literally have to just wait two hours for this to complete?

I don't think the Deployment Missions count towards the Main Mission progression...for me each new Main Mission unlocked after every 3 Side-Ops I completed (after completing all the yellow colored ones)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ON another not does anyone know what the respawn time for material containers is based off of?

5 different missions, so 6-1-2-3-4-5... replay mission 6 and it'll be back or so.

If you're farming them, you're better off just getting them, setting a checkpoint off and then restarting the mission.

Now that I've done mostly everything, have tons of heroism and everybody I fulton is an A++ or S, I find that a huge amount of them are boasters now. Is that a thing, the better the soldiers get, the more they boast?

Quick question:

Any idea why some Side-Ops are still highlighted even though I have completed them? The box on the left has been "checked" but the mission is still highlighted.

eso76

Lost 30 minutes looking for
the body of Volgin
It turned out to be right in the middle of the outpost.

Yeah, posted about this yesterday or the day before.
I had to wipe out the entire place, Fulton everything and I still couldn't find it.
It took me hours..

Does Mission 41
Trigger a lengthy base shutdown like mission 25 did, or is everything returned to normal at the conclusion of the mission?
I just did 38 but I'm afraid to stall my progress by doing 41.

Caffeine

I've done a ton of side ops. I'm literally waiting on one yellow combat deployment mission that takes two hours to complete. I've already failed it twice, despite a 78 percent success rate. Do I literally have to just wait two hours for this to complete?

are you using a butterfly emblem ? the mission wont show up until u change the emblem.

Quick

Banned
Finished Episode 12 (Hellbound) last night. Holy shit, it was long, probably because I had to start from a checkpoint a couple of times.

I took a lot of time trying to find the door to enter Huey's lab at the base, only to finally find it and realize I've been overlooking it all this time. Felt like an idiot.

HOLY SHIT at The Boss' voice. That was a big surprise for me.

I actually had to redo the mission from running away from the Sahelanthropus, because I couldn't equip the chopper's gun...because I was facing the opposite direction. I felt really stupid after this and called it a night.

I alternated between DD and D-Horse in this mission, but went solo into the lab to rescue Huey. Could DD have helped in distracting the Sahelanthropous?

sora87

Its just not necessary. Finishing any 3 side-ops for the first time will advance you to the next cs/unlock.

The "grinding" is a myth. Its simply not the case.

There shouldn't be anything like this full stop. And it is a grind when it takes so long to get to each bloody side op, normally they're on the other side of the map. The delivery system thing doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Quick

Banned
There shouldn't be anything like this full stop. And it is a grind when it takes so long to get to each bloody side op, normally they're on the other side of the map. The delivery system thing doesn't seem to want to work for me.

The power plant is terrible when it comes to the closest helicopter drop off zone and pickup.

PensOwl

Banned
Its just not necessary. Finishing any 3 side-ops for the first time will advance you to the next cs/unlock.

The general consensus seems pretty easy to sympathize with considering how uninspired side ops mission design is.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Finish side-op (watch for save icon in corner). Go to pause menu and choose return to ACC. Re-deploy at new side-op location. Rinse/repeat x3.

Over and done in minutes.

PensOwl said:
The general consensus seems pretty easy to sympathize with considering how uninspired side ops mission design is.

Its as uninspiring as you make it. If you want to employ the same methods and tactics over and over, its on you. You can't say the game doesn't facilitate numerous strategies and play-styles.

I'll second this. I've got the
butterfly emblem
equipped, went and caught a few wandering soldiers and then I got a call regarding an issue
at base
. Once I'd dealt with that, I looked up how to unlock 46 and found guides telling me to fully build mother base and do every mission, so I gave up on that idea and did a few side ops... And mission 46 appeared no problems, at around 38% overall completion.

Lanrutcon

I don't get people harshing on the side missions. They're like little opportunities to get creative and test the limits of the game mechanics.

I recently realised I have female soldiers in my employ, so I took one off R&D and into the field. She takes forever to reload, aims like poop at long ranges and gets out of breath from running 5 feet. Maybe not to best choice for solo infiltrations :p

The only grindy aspect is the fact you need 100% bond with Quiet to complete her story arc.

For someone like me who didn't use her at all, it means I have to use her as a buddy and play like 50 missions to increase it that high

SJRB

Gold Member
I like the side ops, but having to do them to advance the main story is silly imo.

I think they deliberately made it this way to break up the main missions, because let's be honest: if you played the last three missions back to back it would be a narrative catastrophy.

By deviding them with Side Ops it's still a total goatfuck, but because it's so fragmented you don't really notice how bizarre it flows.

Does Mission 41
Trigger a lengthy base shutdown like mission 25 did, or is everything returned to normal at the conclusion of the mission?
I just did 38 but I'm afraid to stall my progress by doing 41.

Anyone?

Also is Mission 41 forced after
capturing the final lost child
or can you choose when to undertake it?

Thanks in advance

PensOwl

Banned
Finish side-op (watch for save icon in corner). Go to pause menu and choose return to ACC. Re-deploy at new side-op location. Rinse/repeat x3.

Over and done in minutes.

Its as uninspiring as you make it. If you want to employ the same methods and tactics over and over, its on you. You can't say the game doesn't facilitate numerous strategies and play-styles.

Look at the posts here, people clearly want to get to the main missions, not do side ops. Even your own post says rinse/repeat x3.

The amount of options doesn't excuse terrible mission design. There are 30+ eliminate the the armored vrhicle/tank missions alone, with the same setup and composition of units. Both PW and GZ had better side ops variety, with GZs side ops having more in common with TPPs main missions than the garbage that is TPPs side ops.

vpance

The only grindy aspect is the fact you need 100% bond with Quiet to complete her story arc.

For someone like me who didn't use her at all, it means I have to use her as a buddy and play like 50 missions to increase it that high

Took me like a dozen or so side ops plus missions to max out.

Vuze

Whoever came up with the
quarantine
thingy (post episode 26)... smh.
Probably a nice idea, but so poor in execution. Micromanaging your whole staff for 30min without any filters that could have helped to speed up the process is just silly.

Whoever came up with the
quarantine
Probably a nice idea, but so poor in execution. Micromanaging your whole staff for 30min without any filters that could have helped to speed up the process is just silly.

I just let the motherfuckers die and figured it would sort itself out if i went ahead with the missions. Which it did.

Whoever came up with the
quarantine

you can totally ignore the quarantine stuff and just complete the missions. you'll lose some soldiers, but it's not that bad

EDIT: beaten

You'll unlock the dispatch missions that require it after completing enough of them.

ahh, thanks

I also noticed that there always seems to be a yellow dot and a light blue circle around the battle gear hanger in my base, but going there didn't seem to do anything, anyone know what this is? Is there some kind of event I need to unlock or something?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Look at the posts here, people clearly want to get to the main missions, not do side ops..

Tough.

You want a linear campaign try playing a game that's built upon that ethos. This is not that sort of game.

PensOwl said:
The amount of options doesn't excuse terrible mission design. There are 30+ eliminate the the armored vrhicle/tank missions alone, with the same setup and composition of units

Every side-op has a very large number of user-defined parameters that can radically change how they play. Time-of-day, buddy/vehicle complement, loadout, entry point to start the task are all under the player's direct control. Indirectly modifiers are further applied according to meta-game influences like the suppressing effects of successful combat deployments and the cumulative effects of previous engagements.

Hell, you want a radically different experience try setting your deployment point at a red icon, so you have to fight to survive before your boots even touch the ground.

I see side ops as more of an excuse to play around and take it easy, and to find new soldiers to fulton. I treat main missions much more seriously. I probably never would have used things like D-Walker or get in a shoot out if side ops didn't exist.

Tiktaalik

The way you're thrown into mission 29 with no real room or time to figure shit out is straight bad game design. Stupid and frustrating. Goes counter to almost everything else you see in MGS.

Top Bottom