• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Okay so about Quiet:
the chlorine jump thing happened and how I can't pick her, am I going to be able to use her again or am I already on track for whatever her story resolution is?

Oh and for you guys having trouble with mission 29:
Use D-Walker, its gatling gun rips those guys apart, so easy to get an S rank

This mission also REALLY underlines how bad the UI is in this game. Quiet seemingly hangs out and does nothing unless I set Quiet to attack, but I have to go through like 3-4 UI screens to do this, and I'll get attacked while I do it. Terrible.

I'm not up to that mission yet, but when you are at the idroid map screen, you can press up and down on the dpad to change its function. Default is placing markers, but you can set it to order Quiet to attack. This way, you don't have to go through all the menus.

Wagram

This mission also REALLY underlines how bad the UI is in this game. Quiet seemingly hangs out and does nothing unless I set Quiet to attack, but I have to go through like 3-4 UI screens to do this, and I'll get attacked while I do it. Terrible.

Yeah this was one of my main issues with Quiet as a buddy. The UI selection process was trash. However; I mostly always found d-dog to be superior for scouting anyways so I used him.

Tiktaalik

lol so I beat mission 29... with an S rank after all this?
I guess after like 1.5-2 hours of little progress it just clicked. For some weird reason on this last attempt the skulls barely shot at me, which kept my health up, and I got on a crazy chain of nailing almost every single quick time CQC even though they were attacking me one after the other sometimes three at a time.

I don't think I could have beaten it without Quiet.

Tiktaalik

I'm not up to that mission yet, but when you are at the idroid map screen, you can press up and down on the dpad to change its function. Default is placing markers, but you can set it to order Quiet to attack. This way, you don't have to go through all the menus.

Good pro tip! I didn't know about this.

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not but
I got the cutscene where Paz acts weird cuz Kaz tells her skullface is dead. I exit the room and go back and she's still acting that way (not cheery anymore and I don't get the option to give her one of the photos from the wandering MB soldier side ops). Okay. Makes sense I guess. Then my FOB is invaded and I go defend it. When I get back to MB and go back to her room she's back to "normal" and is all cheery again and I can give her the photo. Is this supposed to happen? I know weird stuff happens with the autosaving (if you don't go back to the ACC it wont save) so I'm worried if I ruined my save by doing the FOB mission.
TL;DR
Is Paz supposed to go back to being cheery after the cutscene where she learns about skullface's death or Is this a glitch?
Not a glitch. That's normal.

Good pro tip! I didn't know about this.

You're welcome! I discovered it yesterday.

Also, on the map (and any other idroid screen), press lower left touch pad (assuming you're on PS4), and it brings up a help menu and tells you what everything on the screen means. You probably saw those dispatch missions to take out enemy supply lines. Icons on the right side of the map show the enemy's preparedness, and opening up the help menu can tell you what the icons mean, so you know which dispatch missions to prioritize.

Hypron

The attack option doesn't actually order her to attack, it just allows you to choose which sniping point you want to use. The "cover me" command is what tells her to start shooting. Otherwise she'll start shooting automatically when you trigger an alert.

I don't "get" mission 29.

Obviously I can quick time counter their attacks, which seems to leave them open, but not really..? If I whale on them I just hear "ping ping" noises still... On the other hand if I struggle through the menu enough to tell Quiet to fucking attack the area then I see that she seems to be scoring hits against them and health is dropping.

The game is doing a REALLY bad job of telling them what is effective or not.

Also I'm basically just running around getting hit by gunfire the entire time so. It feels like luck if I can get the guys into their CQC counterable blade attack. Sometimes they just hang back and pepper at me with shots even if I run at them.

I'm hating this mission right now because it doesn't do a good job of telling you whether what the hell you're supposed to do.
I heard that the
Walker Gear's gatling gun is pretty good. And goddamn is it. Skulls go down in like 10 seconds. At the airport you just need to steer clear of their weird ink clouds, which will instantly corrode your Walker.
It's basically cheating, but I don't care. Might've stopped playing if there wasn't some way to cheese it.

For those having trouble with 29, "Serious firepower" means HIGH PENETRATION weapons, not high damage like explosives.

Go anti-material rifle for the best of both worlds. It's the weapon to use on the extreme versions of 16 and 29.

At this point I'm doing pretty well in this mission 29
I just feel I'm dying because I'm getting whittled away by gunfire and not finishing these guys fast enough.

If you head behind the hangar, there's a white building with steps to take you to the top. You can find two mortars on top of the building that allow you to do a fair chunk of damage before they head up to attack you - then you can strafe around a building taking pot shots at the remaining
Skulls.

Quiet is helpful too.

RedSwirl

So if you take a vehicle out with you, do you have to make sure it makes it back to Mother Base, or will it auto-Fulton line D-Horse?

Tadale

Some post Mission 43 spoilers:

Is there some kind of checklist to unlocking these last missions? I've heard the tapes with Huey and I'm preparing for a "trial," supposedly - but I haven't been prompted to return to mother base, and when I do, nothing happens. I've also done a few side missions trying to force progression.

A couple of questions:

Supposedly Paz is in this game, but I have not seen her at all. What am I missing?

Do combat deployment missions marked with a yellow dot count toward the story progression?

Thanks!

Hypron

IMO the most fun way to play Mission 29 is to use the body armor, a heavy machine gun and a high damaging pistol. Then you have to manage line of sights as well as counter melee attacks, which I find really fun.

Seems like too much work.

Child Fulton upgrade
solves all the problems.

Some post Mission 43 spoilers:

Is there some kind of checklist to unlocking these last missions? I've heard the tapes with Huey and I'm preparing for a "trial," supposedly - but I haven't been prompted to return to mother base, and when I do, nothing happens. I've also done a few side missions trying to force progression.

A couple of questions:

Supposedly Paz is in this game, but I have not seen her at all. What am I missing?

Do combat deployment missions marked with a yellow dot count toward the story progression?

Thanks!

Answers:

No, just keep doing Sideops, especially yellow ones, listen to all tapes with a yellow dot but to be safe just listen to all of them

Paz's door is inside the medical platform, third level with a light blue door instead of a red one. The only other place that has an openable door is the R&D platform.

They aren't necessary, basically the yellow dots are just important ones that are important to the overall completion percentage.

TitusTroy

I could easily finish the main story but I'm savoring the experience and doing more Side-Ops...currently at 75% completion of the Side-Ops

Hypron

I figured that part out, it's just taking forever to go through everything.

I had to go through all 700 members 3 damn times because I didn't figure it out right away lol (
at first I thought it was English because of Skull Face's speech and because the first 10 guys I checked spoke English... Then I though it was Kikingo or Afrikaans for some reason... And then finally figured it out. I wanted to kill myself by the end of it
).

You can press X or Square to highlight each soldier, but at the end of the day you have to go through the list manually, there is no filter. D:

Yeah, I just finished doing it. Why the hell couldn't I just tell someone on base to do it for me after I figured it out?

Haunted

Any good Let's Plays of Phantom Pain out there?

Youtube and Twitch search are both complete garbage as usual and none of the two/three people I follow plays it (well, one started but got stopped by takedown notices).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just finished doing it. Why the hell couldn't I just tell someone on base to do it for me after I figured it out?

Ocelot: DID YOU FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS CAUSING THE INFECTION?!

I had to go through all 700 members 3 damn times because I didn't figure it out right away lol (
at first I thought it was English because of Skull Face's speech and because the first 10 guys I checked spoke English... Then I though it was Kikingo or Afrikaans for some reason... And then finally figured it out. I wanted to kill myself by the end of it
).

You feel it too, don't you?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing MGSV last night and completed the prologue. Now, im in the first mission where I have to rescue Kaz but I have a question -

Is it possible to go behind an enemy and choke/knock him out without actually punching him? Or do I have to use the tranquilizer gun?

Also, how do I fulton enemies and whatnot? Do I have to unlock the ability or I can do it from the very beginning?

Thanks.

Haunted

Whats the best way to farm GMP? Im at mission 40.
Sell your shit. Particularly Precious Metal can fill up your 5 million GMP limit (which is stupid, btw) quickly.

Just started playing MGSV last night and completed the prologue. Now, im in the first mission where I have to rescue Kaz but I have a question -

Is it possible to go behind an enemy and choke/knock him out without actually punching him? Or do I have to use the tranquilizer gun?

Also, how do I fulton enemies and whatnot? Do I have to unlock the ability or I can do it from the very beginning?

Thanks.
Hold the CQC button to grab people.

Keep playing to unlock more stuff, like fultoning. You haven't really started the game yet, just keep playing. :p The game will obviously explain things as you go along.

rtcn63

Thanks.

You just hold the CQC button instead of tapping it. After can interrogate them using the shoulder button and/or choke them out by spamming the CQC button repeatedly.

You have to unlock it. You don't get it until like the next mission.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hold the CQC button to grab people.

Keep playing to unlock more stuff, like fultoning. You haven't really started the game yet, just keep playing. :p The game will obviously explain things as you go along.

You just hold the CQC button instead of tapping it. After can interrogate them using the shoulder button and/or choke them out by spamming the CQC button repeatedly.

You have to unlock it. You don't get it until like the next mission.

Nice. Happy to know I can choke / knock out an enemy because the first enemy I sneaked up from behind on turned into a disaster as he spotted me, I punched him and like flipped him knocking him out. Then, I carried him to a hidden spot and he woke up. Had to punch him again until I knocked him out again.

The fulton thing I kind of expected but asked anyway since I was able to fulton a plant and a diamond.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help and info.

mission 45 how do fuck do I beat this ? Seriously has this been play tested ? Who the fuck played this and though " sure, this is fair shit. Challenged and balanced. Go ahead, ready the press "

this is utter BS :
the battle tanks have near instant, probably homing, INSANE area of damage, one shot killer. Fuck this shit. ANd they need 5 homing multi rockets to die when poping my head for a second is potentially killing me. Of course they stay outside lock on range but lock on takes forever anyway... And they always know your position.

Utter, utter shit Kojima. Worst I've seen in years

DJMicLuv

I've been playing for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love the game.
I HATED Ground Zeroes and didn't finish it at the time but I've just gone back and completed it for the uploaded characters and while at the time it felt incredibly hard it felt really enjoyable now I know how to play the game. I think TPP taught me the gameplay in a way that it slowly started to add up. The difference of GZ from previous games had me completely unprepared for the new style of play but now it's clicked I'm really enjoying it.
To anyone who didn't get on with GZ I'd recommend giving TPP a chance and stick with it for a while. It's not like the old MGS games, the recon work you do before the mission is essential and the use of buddies is key. Failure is a certainty but you can use side ops and other open world encounters to practise as well as giving you an opportunity to experiment.
It really feels like an RPG at times. Having to 'grind' sub-ops for GMP to upgrade weapons is really an RPG system of levelling up with the open world being the world map where there are no random encounters but a lot of opportunities to fulton or take out enemies.
It's a really enjoyable game. I'm not fucked about the story but I love tackling missions in my own way and am getting a lot out of the game. It's a long one too and often hard. Like your mums penis.

SJRB

Gold Member
mission 45 how do fuck do I beat this ? Seriously has this been play tested ? Who the fuck played this and though " sure, this is fair shit. Challenged and balanced. Go ahead, ready the press "

this is utter BS :
the battle tanks have near instant, probably homing, INSANE area of damage, one shot killer. Fuck this shit. ANd they need 5 homing multi rockets to die when poping my head for a second is potentially killing me. Of course they stay outside lock on range but lock on takes forever anyway... And they always know your position.

Utter, utter shit Kojima. Worst I've seen in years

Abort mission and develop the FB MR launcher to the highest possible version. Any vehicle needs two hits and the upgraded version comes with 12 rockets.

But yeah, the tank shell blast radius is terrible and remarkably unfair as walls don't always negate the damage so you never know if you're "safe". Best advice is just to keep moving. Fire a rocket - move to a different position, rinse and repeat.

Abort mission and develop the FB MR launcher to the highest possible version. Any vehicle needs two hits and the upgraded version comes with 12 rockets.

But yeah, the tank shell blast radius is terrible and remarkably unfair as walls don't always negate the damage so you never know if you're "safe". Best advice is just to keep moving. Fire a rocket - move to a different position, rinse and repeat.

If it's your first time, you can't abort.

Top Bottom