• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

rtcn63

For me, having to grind side ops
during Chapter 2 was really only an issue because I'd done so many of them already. By that point, I just wanted to finish the story.

I see side ops as more of an excuse to play around and take it easy, and to find new soldiers to fulton. I treat main missions much more seriously. I probably never would have used things like D-Walker or get in a shoot out if side ops didn't exist.

Same here. I like to try some weapons/buddy in side ops. I always use the same weapon when I'm on mission so it's kinda refreshing

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Listening to
Code Talker
tapes and this popped up:

Songbirds. Certain Insects. And also the vocal cord parasite.
Very silly yet sincerely delivered. I love this game sometimes.

I also noticed that there always seems to be a yellow dot and a light blue circle around the battle gear hanger in my base, but going there didn't seem to do anything, anyone know what this is? Is there some kind of event I need to unlock or something?

No idea, I think it's a glitch showing the R&D platform target practice as a new mission, and because the mission 'circle' on the map is above Huey's lab it gets the two confused and lists them together.

The only grindy aspect is the fact you need 100% bond with Quiet to complete her story arc.

For someone like me who didn't use her at all, it means I have to use her as a buddy and play like 50 missions to increase it that high

eh even if you want to avoid doing the grindy extra stuff to do the story, you are limited and forced to do lot of mother base stuff still otherwise you are extremely under equipped for doing the missions. Lot of important gear is locked behind high levels of base personnel so while you can skip some of it, you are still forced to do tedious mother base management, resource gathering, and personnel gathering.

PensOwl

Banned
Tough.

You want a linear campaign try playing a game that's built upon that ethos. This is not that sort of game.

Every side-op has a very large number of user-defined parameters that can radically change how they play. Time-of-day, buddy/vehicle complement, loadout, entry point to start the task are all under the player's direct control. Indirectly modifiers are further applied according to meta-game influences like the suppressing effects of successful combat deployments and the cumulative effects of previous engagements.

Hell, you want a radically different experience try setting your deployment point at a red icon, so you have to fight to survive before your boots even touch the ground.

But the campaign is pretty much linear? The only real choice is whether you have Quiet or not. Having filler missions between the important ones isn't going to change that. Everyone is going to play the same main missions to get to the end and nothing's going to change, this isn't The Witcher or anything.

Radical is an overstatement, especially in regards to the eliminate vehicles side ops. There are a few that let you have a red deployment, but all it means is you cough up 150,000 gmp for you destroyed helicopter if you even make it to the ground. Furthermore experimentation is hindered by by deployment costs, which seem to correlate with how much fun something is. Like hell I'm coughing up 200 Precious Metal for each deployment for the Hand of Jehuty. I think boring side ops mission design is a fair criticism when the previous two games did it better. Even the combat deployments are half assed compared to Peace Walker where you could choose your unit composition and armament.

Ultratech

I recently realised I have female soldiers in my employ, so I took one off R&D and into the field. She takes forever to reload, aims like poop at long ranges and gets out of breath from running 5 feet. Maybe not to best choice for solo infiltrations :p

lol

I just starting using a S-Rank (now S+) female soldier one I got after beating
Mission 31
She's pretty awesome aside from sounding like she's about to die after sprinting.

Radical is an overstatement, especially in regards to the eliminate vehicles side ops. There are a few that let you have a red deployment, but all it means is you cough up 150,000 gmp for you destroyed helicopter if you even make it to the ground.

Funny enough, I just did one of these a little while ago and while the LZ was supposed to be safe (it was in the middle of where the Vehicle unit was supposed to be), my helicopter got shot down shortly after I got off of it. :\

Needless to say, I took care of them in short order (and got a new tank).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The only grindy aspect is the fact you need 100% bond with Quiet to complete her story arc.

For someone like me who didn't use her at all, it means I have to use her as a buddy and play like 50 missions to increase it that high

Yeah I'm kind of at an impasse as to how to level her up since I'm strictly non lethal.

Double D

I have like main mission anxiety. I'm only through mission 17 but have 3/4 platforms on everything on mother base. I just can't bring myself to play a main mission

Tiktaalik

I don't "get" mission 29.

Obviously I can quick time counter their attacks, which seems to leave them open, but not really..? If I whale on them I just hear "ping ping" noises still... On the other hand if I struggle through the menu enough to tell Quiet to fucking attack the area then I see that she seems to be scoring hits against them and health is dropping.

The game is doing a REALLY bad job of telling them what is effective or not.

Also I'm basically just running around getting hit by gunfire the entire time so. It feels like luck if I can get the guys into their CQC counterable blade attack. Sometimes they just hang back and pepper at me with shots even if I run at them.

I'm hating this mission right now because it doesn't do a good job of telling you whether what the hell you're supposed to do.

Xeteh

Yeah I'm kind of at an impasse as to how to level her up since I'm strictly non lethal.

Just bring her along and do side-ops. Don't have her shoot anything, just scout. I used her plenty before she got her tranq rifle (which didn't take that long) and even then I rarely let her open fire until she got the suppressor. It really isn't bad.

Lost 30 minutes looking for
the body of Volgin
It turned out to be right in the middle of the outpost.

You aren't alone. I went all through the base and checked all the rooms on both sides of the main part and eventually thought it might be bugged. So I looked it up online and felt really dumb.

TitusTroy

when exiting the Mother Base Command platform by helicopter I notice Code Talker sitting on top of one of those towers...am I able to climb up there and chat with him?

Finished Chapter 1. (105 hours in, lol I'm taking my time... still just at 51% though)

Game mechanic questions:
Should I start developing the nuke immediately considering it takes so long to develop? It might finish while I'm still playing chapter 2 that way. Or is the impact on Heroism too high (I'm currently at 140k) that I should wait. Don't wanna lose seeing all those A++ soldiers in the field...

Also, do the subsistence/extreme versions of missions count for the total percentage/platinum?

Also, after finishing chapter 1 I got a bunch of volunteers with a few S-ranked female soldiers among them. Basically the top person in each unit is a woman now. Was that intentional?
One of them is Asian which seems to be rare even for men.

Obviously I can quick time counter their attacks, which seems to leave them open, but not really..? If I whale on them I just hear "ping ping" noises still... On the other hand if I struggle through the menu enough to tell Quiet to fucking attack the area then I see that she seems to be scoring hits against them and health is dropping.

Also I'm basically just running around getting hit by gunfire the entire time so. It feels like luck if I can get the guys into their CQC counterable blade attack. Sometimes they just hang back and pepper at me with shots even if I run at them.

I'm hating this mission right now because it doesn't do a good job of telling you whether what the hell you're supposed to do.
Yeah. The communication is really bad. Even Miller tells you that you need serious firepower which is wrong. What you're supposed to do is CQC them until their armor disappears and then unload into their head with (preferably) a high powered automatic- that was literally the only way I figured out how to kill them.

I feel like i should get a bronze trophy just for finally S ranking and finishing all the tasks for
Backup, Back Down, Lingua Franca, and Traitors' Caravan. Scripted dialogue and alerts don't mix in this game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Just bring her along and do side-ops. Don't have her shoot anything, just scout. I used her plenty before she got her tranq rifle (which didn't take that long) and even then I rarely let her open fire until she got the suppressor. It really isn't bad.

Oh. That doesn't sound too bad. Thankfully I saw your post before having her go to the airport to murder everyone.

Yeah. The communication is really bad. Even Miller tells you that you need serious firepower which is wrong. What you're supposed to do is CQC them until their armor disappears and then unload into their head with (preferably) a high powered automatic- that was literally the only way I figured out how to kill them.
it's grindy, but you can kill them with rockets and grenade launchers

Tiktaalik

This mission also REALLY underlines how bad the UI is in this game. Quiet seemingly hangs out and does nothing unless I set Quiet to attack, but I have to go through like 3-4 UI screens to do this, and I'll get attacked while I do it. Terrible.

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not but
I got the cutscene where Paz acts weird cuz Kaz tells her skullface is dead. I exit the room and go back and she's still acting that way (not cheery anymore and I don't get the option to give her one of the photos from the wandering MB soldier side ops). Okay. Makes sense I guess. Then my FOB is invaded and I go defend it. When I get back to MB and go back to her room she's back to "normal" and is all cheery again and I can give her the photo. Is this supposed to happen? I know weird stuff happens with the autosaving (if you don't go back to the ACC it wont save) so I'm worried if I ruined my save by doing the FOB mission.
TL;DR
Is Paz supposed to go back to being cheery after the cutscene where she learns about skullface's death or Is this a glitch?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I deployed with D-Walker and circle strafed them with the Gatling gun. S rank too.

PensOwl

Banned

Climb on top of the hanger, it'll keep you safe from most of their attacks. Bring your best LMG, it's the cheapest and most effective option and just unload. If you have Quiet with the anti matieriel rifle, she'll help immensely.

I went in first with my normal stealth/non-lethal setup + a homing rocket launcher.
Struggled a lot. Then I said fuck it and restarted with my pink shotgun, a stronger non-homing rocket launcher, the shotgun-shell revolver and some upgraded C4 (though I spend most of that on one guy).

S rank on the first try.
I did only a few of those CQC prompts, mostly it was me shooting off their armor and then finishing them with rockets or the other shotgun. You see and hear the armor breaking. There is also a little transparent bar over their health bar that represents that armor. The can't regenerate their actual health and for me only the last remaining Skull was very quick in rebuilding that armor bar (which only seems to regenerate once it's fully depleted so you can time it).
The area in the back of the airfield in between the bunch of resource containers is a good place to fight them imo.

I deployed with D-Walker and circle strafed them with the Gatling gun. S rank too.

That worked for me also and was the quickest. I just had to back up and they seemed to stand to there just blasting me with their guns. I also had a Rocket Launcher as a back up plan.

rtcn63

I died a lot in this mission, but it wasn't that bad. It forces you to figure things out while under constant threat of being ass-whooped. The Skulls have armor, which you need to whittle down with heavy weaponry (high penetration?). Rockets do good damage but tend to be inaccurate and dangerous to use because of how close the enemy can get to you. And missing shots means running out of what little ammo you're allowed, which causes you to have to wait for a supply drop. Which is bad if you've already stripped a Skull of it's armor since it can use the time to regenerate it.

The shotgun, light machine gun, and supply drops were what beat them for me. Run around or find a good position to take them down until there's two or so left, then you can go toe-to-toe, and triggering the CQC knife thing when one gets close.

Tiktaalik

Is there any way to heal in this game that I'm missing? Unfortunately don't have the medical arm. I'm getting pounded by random gunfire and it's super annoying to have to just hide behind a tank and wait...

Finished true ending. 98hs. I liked how it ended, there are some interesting topics in the game but the narrative is horrible, and some characters are terrible too...

Better than the worst Metal Gear, worst than the better.

Mission 45 went full Destiny.

Tiktaalik

At this point I'm doing pretty well in this mission 29
I just feel I'm dying because I'm getting whittled away by gunfire and not finishing these guys fast enough.

vpance

For mission 29 I just
ran to the back of the hanger and played peek a boo with an LMG. Seemed like they couldn't follow you back there or something. Had to supply drop once cuz I ran outta ammo.

Top Bottom