• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I've completed mission 43, can't seem to get 44 to pop but have done everything with a yellow dot. Do I need to complete the retread missions?

I feel like this game is totally falling apart, and should have ended at Chapter 1. It's really sad, because everything about this game plays great.

Just do some side ops for an hour or so. You do not need to do the mission revisits.

I was fine with the tapes until I got these 5-6 minute+ ones. For what purpose Kojima.

just about everything that doesn't have to do with gameplay in this game is something of a disappointment. i mean, what's with introducing new characters a few episodes before the game ends?...

can't be mentioned enough: great game, but not a great metal gear game...

FUCK MISSION 31. FUCK IT!

That's the second time in a row I've had it down most of the way only to get one hit killed by some bullshit.

& so much this! :) ...

Can anyone help me out?

I imported the steel book from UK and it took forever to get here (Canada), so I played on my brothers console in the meantime.

Now I'm trying to load my file and the game boots me straight into the prologue.

Does PAL not recognize NA save files?

savefiles and dlc can differ from region to region. you probably have to start over or get a copy from your region to continue your file.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Quick question... I've just been completing Side Ops before I continue with the story and it looks like I've exhausted all the ones currently available to me... so the game is telling me I have one new Side Op but it's one I've already completed (hence the check mark, #28):

Is this what usually happens? When you can't take on any new ones it just rehighlights ones that you've already completed? Would this Side Op reward me with something different this time?

It's not saying you have a new one, it's listing how many you CAN do. My OCD side hates this feature. If you don't have any open check boxes, play a story mission and you'll unlock more Side Ops.

fritzo

Finished all main and side-ops (sans target practice) and i think i hit the wall with MGSV. I haven't played a game this much maybe since MGS3. I might get all of MB to level 60, but that might be it. I'll definitely play the main game again tho.

SamuraiX-

It's not saying you have a new one, it's listing how many you CAN do. My OCD side hates this feature. If you don't have any open check boxes, play a story mission and you'll unlock more Side Ops.

I feel your pain exactly. That bright little dot is eating away at me. lol

I'll definitely just continue with the story whenever I got check marks in every box though.

I read that if you play a certain cassette tape during the wandering soldier side ops, that they will come to you and submit without attacking. But I am playing the tape and nothing happens.

Is this verified true or not real?

The cassette tape I am playing is called
Paz's Humming Love Deterance

KarmaCow

I read that if you play a certain cassette tape during the wandering soldier side ops, that they will come to you and submit without attacking. But I am playing the tape and nothing happens.

Is this verified true or not real?

The cassette tape I am playing is called
Paz's Humming Love Deterance

Do you have the speakers on? Press R2/RT when on the cassette tab and select the far right option.

Replaying Mission 12 to get S Rank and finish the Tasks.

The Metal Gear hide and seek is cheap as hell. Even hiding from it and losing it, the thing is psychic to your location I swear. Which sucks considering it's the last 9/10th of a long mission. And the then chopper decides this is the time to come in for a slow and gradual landing. Really, the difficulty padding on some of these missions is just surreal.

Do you have the speakers on? Press R2/RT when on the cassette tab and select the far right option.
I did. It does not work very well. He still attacks me. You have to get within a good 90 metres for him to hear it and yes he did come running but still attacked me. Those missions are super easy as is so no use using it anyways.

KarmaCow

The Metal Gear hide and seek is cheap as hell. Even hiding from it and losing it, the thing is psychic to your location I swear. Which sucks considering it's the last 9/10th of a long mission. And the then chopper decides this is the time to come in for a slow and gradual landing. Really, the difficulty padding on some of these missions is just surreal.

AFAIK, the game doesn't track your total time playing a mission for the time bonus. You could spend 5 hours doing a mission, restart from a checkpoint that was 10 minutes in and finish the mission within 5 minutes and the total time would be 15 minutes. You'll lose the 10k no retry bonus but more often than not, losing that 10k shouldn't be difference between an A or S rank.

Yopis

Been back on this last few days. Love every minute honestly. Great game that takes things back to the beginning,pure gameplay.

Don't mind the exclusion of 30 minute cutscenes. Glad kojima went out on gameplay to the max.

Story isn't bad as the crying babies make it sound. Mgs 3 still my favorite though for sure.

AFAIK, the game doesn't track your total time playing a mission for the time bonus. You could spend 5 hours doing a mission, restart from a checkpoint that was 10 minutes in and finish the mission within 5 minutes and the total time would be 15 minutes. You'll lose the 10k no retry bonus but more often than not, losing that 10k shouldn't be difference between an A or S rank.

I definitely plan on using the restart checkpoint option next time around because
I need Huey to remain untouched and the game pits you right against the metal gear right after the cut scene. I figure my best chance is to run between the legs and hide behind the rocks before putting him on Dhorse before praying I can lose the trail of the psychic giant robot.

I've been trying to S-rank with all the objectives and no items the three commanders mission (Red Brass) and oh boy, is it tough.

I finally did figure out that if you hold up the driver of a jeep, all the people in the jeep will get out and be held up. Then if you knock them out, fulton them and hide the jeep (or fulton it), the commander will get up, realize everything is missing and walk the rest of the way to the meeting point without raising an alert.

Now I just need to figure out a way to listen in on the conversation they have and knock all of them out without alerting the rest of the base.

i just did this yesterday
just ran southwards with huey, ignored the chopper and kept running until ocelot said i was safe for now. called the chopper to the south point, he was basically just next to me. that was it.

I was able to hide even in the walker, I think even the
search pods missed me. I was so bummed I couldn't take the Walker with me on the helicopter

Warablo

Just beat level 18. Felt so cool and great when I completed it.

Mission 18 spoilers
I only had to restart once with the kids. I was gonna get them out the first time but the helicopter spotted me at the last minute and killed the one I was carrying. The 2nd time I hit with my undersling grenade launcher.

EDIT: Changed

An-Det

How do you unlock Mission 43?
I've finished the main missions (those not listed as Extreme, Subsistence, or the other prefixes) through 41, as well as the Escaped Children side ops, Man on Fire, and AI Pod, leaving only misc eliminations and mine clearing ones (with the exception of Wandering Puppets 02, but I'm pretty sure I don't need to do those). I know I need to max everything on Mother Base for mission 45, but do I have to do that before this one first
?

Also for that, is there a trick to getting the materials processed besides upgrading the Base Development on the main and FOB? I can just idle and have it process the 200k fuel I have, right?

cackhyena

I never got found after I hoofed it behind a rock the first time. You aren't making me wanna go back for s rank, tho.

Timeaisis

So how do I unlock
mission 45
?

I know there's some side op I have to do but I haven't unlocked that yet, either...even though I've done a lot of them.

Had the game glitch on me earlier.

Loaded up a side mission in Afghan and there were a few rain drops in the chopper which was weird and listening closely you can hear it rain outside the heli and low and behold it was fucking raining in Afghanistan, it was so cool.

But it reminded me of something, in GZ the guards would wear those awesome rain ponchos when it rained, why the hell did they remove them!

MgsGroundZeroes-2015-01-19-17-10-25-44.jpg

Doing side ops (about 3/4ths into the game)
right now a sandstorm just came and Quiet keeps sniping people just fine while the guards can't see anything. This is what happens when a character is as powerful as the story claims they are.

KarmaCow

How do you unlock Mission 43?
I've finished the main missions (those not listed as Extreme, Subsistence, or the other prefixes) through 41, as well as the Escaped Children side ops, Man on Fire, and AI Pod, leaving only misc eliminations and mine clearing ones (with the exception of Wandering Puppets 02, but I'm pretty sure I don't need to do those). I know I need to max everything on Mother Base for mission 45, but do I have to do that before this one first
?

Also for that, is there a trick to getting the materials processed besides upgrading the Base Development on the main and FOB? I can just idle and have it process the 200k fuel I have, right?

About 43,
I think it's tied to the tapes marked as important, just play them and do a side op. Also you don't need to max your base for 45

Yup there's nothing you can do beyond upgrading Base development level (not the number of platforms) so they process faster and having a stock of unprocessed materials. On every tick, I think it processes 10% of the unprocessed stock to a maximum of 2500 per tick.

So how do I unlock
mission 45
?

I know there's some side op I have to do but I haven't unlocked that yet, either...even though I've done a lot of them.

Have max bond with
Quiet, don't have the butterfly emblem equipped, listen to all tapes (you don't have to listen if you don't want, just until the little dot is removed) and that should be enough to trigger side ops 150, then it'l force you into main mission 45, starting 150 is a point of no return though so make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

If that doesn't trigger it yet, then do a couple side ops.

Have max bond with
Quiet, don't have the butterfly emblem equipped, listen to all tapes (you don't have to listen if you don't want, just until the little dot is removed) and that should be enough to trigger side ops 150, then it'l force you into main mission 45, starting 150 is a point of no return though so make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

If that doesn't trigger it yet, then do a couple side ops.

So what's the point of the butterfly emblem in order to keep Quiet as a buddy if you can just avoid doing side op 150?

KarmaCow

So what's the point of the butterfly emblem in order to keep Quiet as a buddy if you can just avoid doing side op 150?

You still lose her, the point of side op 150 is that you're looking for her. The Butterfly emblem prevents the event where she leaves from happening.

Caode

Just did the mission tasks for Episode 45, that wasn't too bad in the end up, I was expecting those to be a bit of a nightmare - almost done with them all now.

Finished 31. Had a bit of trouble at first until I bailed and did some side ops to pay for upgrades of a couple particular weapons, came back for a third try and beat it without a hitch.

I guess there's a bit of meaty stuff to come but I'm still impossibly disappointed by the narrative in this game. I would have been fine with a simple, brief story, but (so far) I would hesitate to call this a story at all, it's just a handful of events occurring one after another, and uninteresting events at that.

Top Bottom