• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Just finished Mission 46 and not entirely sure how to feel. I mean yeah but no.
Is this finally the end?

Kalavaras

Banned
Damn for some reason I keep clicking the spoilers and I'm only at episode 32. Oh well.

I've never used Quiet btw. I think I tried her once and thought D-Dog is cooler. I just like the fast marking of enemies and that's about it. I guess Quiet might turn out stronger if I went for S ranks. I always start the mission with the idea of perfect stealth no kills but if I get busted I'll retaliate with guns blazing. If the game can keep my interest for long I might return to earlier stages later.

SomTervo

Just finished Mission 46 and not entirely sure how to feel. I mean yeah but no.
Is this finally the end?

Yep, but
the post-ending tapes fill in loads of amazing stuff which usually would have taken 1-2 hours of cutscenes in a different MGS game.

Damn for some reason I keep clicking the spoilers and I'm only at episode 32. Oh well.

I've never used Quiet btw. I think I tried her once and thought D-Dog is cooler. I just like the fast marking of enemies and that's about it. I guess Quiet might turn out stronger if I went for S ranks. I always start the mission with the idea of perfect stealth no kills but if I get busted I'll retaliate with guns blazing. If the game can keep my interest for long I might return to earlier stages later.

Just remember she's good for fire support too. Against certain tough enemies or to draw attention.

Yep, but
the post-ending tapes fill in loads of amazing stuff which usually would have taken 1-2 hours of cutscenes in a different MGS game.

Just remember she's good for fire support too. Against certain tough enemies or to draw attention.

I found her useful when I was going on fultoning sprees at outposts. If you keep on top of the combat deployment missions that eliminate enemy helmets then she can tranq a whole outpost really quick.

Vuze

Finally I understand the "Such a lust" meme haha.
The (episode 30)
jeep ride with Skull Face was just plain weird though. Snake sitting there without any emotion, Skull Face rambling on about his reasons and childhood, then suddenly silence and the music cueing in way too silent lol.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Yep, but

Thanks.
Listened to all the tapes and definitely agree. Time to dive into the spoilers thread.

So chapter 2 has repeat missions which I refuse to touch - am I missing anything by not touching them? I assume there is no new dialogue/ curscenes/ tapes/ unlocks I am missing out on?

Ratrat

I agree, the empty motherbase irks me too. Why the hell wouldn't you see any NPCs of importance around? D-Dog, Ocelot, Kaz, the brats... All I've seen so far is those random soldiers wandering around, not even talking to each other.
You see d-dog a lot as a pup and he runs to you in the most adorable way if he's your current buddy. It would have been cool to have more optional fights like the one with said blond brat. Training with Ocelot would have been amazing. Instead we get to stare at Quiet and Huey do nothinag and visit
Paz.

eso76

Finally I understand the "Such a lust" meme haha.
The (episode 30)
jeep ride with Skull Face was just plain weird though. Snake sitting there without any emotion, Skull Face rambling on about his reasons and childhood, then suddenly silence and the music cueing in way too silent lol.

Must have been a very embarassing moment for both.

Well, at least the whole thing looked absolutely marvelous as did the opening cutscene to 31. I was snapping pics like crazy.

Ludens

Banned
The more I play this game, the more I feel fiddled.
Really, was it NECESSARY insert repeat missions as "main missions"?
I know, they are optional, but...what the hell, the game was in development so much time and KojiPro couldn't create 50 unique missions?
And the funny thing is, some "main" missions are just bad and stupid, like mission 32, or "Recover the two cargos on
Code Talker
location".

They are not challenging, they are not inspired, they are just here in order to provide some contents. I'm liking the game...well, pretty much, even if the plot is very crappy (well, not that there's really a plot, here), but...all those years, for what?
Open world is simply bad because it's empty. There's nothing to do if you exclude side-ops and hunting animals (and I don't like hunting animals, it's like a filler content). The open world approch to missions is great, because you have plenty of freedom to experiment, but the free-roaming mode is simply useless.

All those years and KojiPro delivered 50 main missions, with something like 10 redux missions, and 157 side-ops with....well, how many time did you visit the same outpost?
I can't even counter all of them.

Also I costantly go back to Mother Base hoping to trigger some cutscenes because there are pretty much NONE in the game, and I don't want to lose content. But forcing you to go back each time to check if something triggers is just stupid, even if those cutscenes are optional. Too many plot holes too. Not that MGS was a linear franchise, but in V there are just too many unsolved questions.

I thought this would be my GOTY, since MGS is my favourite franchise, but sadly it's not the case.

It's not a bad game, it's a great title insteed, but a bad MGS title, with too many issues.

The stealth is probably the best you can find at the moment, and this is a fact. But the open world...a lot of titles do it much better. I think open world was a mistake, I like the freedom you have, but MGS really doesn't need of a world in which you can move freely in my opinion.

Vuze

The more I play this game, the more I fell fiddled.
I've just finished chapter 1, so I can't say much about the redux missions yet but I agree that a more linear approach would have benefitted the game greatly from what I played so far.
With the fast travel system being basically unusable after getting spotted once and the world being pretty much empty as you said, I just can't see how it benefits the game.
It's cool to explore the map once but after that, there's really no incentive not to leave asap after completing a side op.

Ludens

Banned
Oh, I forgot: the
rain
scene is just...awful.
I felt ashamed, you were right, Kojima. I'm still trying to figure out what is the purpose of that scene...really, because at the moment I can find only one and only one option.

Hypron

Oh, I forgot: the
rain
scene is just...awful.
I felt ashamed, you were right, Kojima. I'm still trying to figure out what is the purpose of that scene...really, because at the moment I can find only one and only one option.

That cutscene gave me flash backs of the
Beauty
cutscenes in MGS4... which isn't a good thing.

But well, at least it gave us that video where they swap
Quiet
's character model with Ocelot's lol.

I just finished Episode 22. Story seems to really come and go. It'll be all "holy shit, what the hell's going on!!" and then "Boss, you gotta take out this arms dealer".

So without being spoilery, chapter 2 is just a big filler? That would be disappointing, I'm at mission 23 and loving everything in this game, even the open world approach.

Blader

I wonder if there's a correlation between the number of hours put into the game and people saying it's very light on story. Because I'm up to mission 30, with just over 20 hours put in, and feel like the pacing and dissemination of plot info has been pretty even and on par with, if not better than, MGS3 (the main difference being that a lot of mandatory minutes-long Codec calls are now optional cassettes but I listen to all those anyway).

But I'm also just mainly doing story missions; I've only done a small handful of side ops, and most of them were story required. And I've seen a lot of people say they've put in 50+ hours by this point in the game, doing tons of side ops, recruitment, and general grinding. I feel like if you're padding your playtime with a lot of non-story shit, then of course the game will feel pretty light on story.

Drencrom

"Boss, those animals owe you their lives!"

Why tho? Most of the animals I extracted via fulton was living peacefully in the wild until I captured them. Most animals also live in far too small cages in that zoo... when will the NGO pick them up exactly?

Ludens

Banned
I wonder if there's a correlation between the number of hours put into the game and people saying it's very light on story. Because I'm up to mission 30, with just over 20 hours put in, and feel like the pacing and dissemination of plot info has been pretty even and on par with, if not better than, MGS3 (the main difference being that a lot of mandatory minutes-long Codec calls are now optional cassettes but I listen to all those anyway).

But I'm also just mainly doing story missions; I've only done a small handful of side ops, and most of them were story required. And I've seen a lot of people say they've put in 50+ hours by this point in the game, doing tons of side ops, recruitment, and general grinding. I feel like if you're padding your playtime with a lot of non-story shit, then of course the game will feel pretty light on story.

I'm doing all missions, and I move on only when I S rank my current mission, I'm on mission 40 (but I need to do mission 38), with some side-ops left.
And I find the story is very lacking.
EDIT:Around 80 hours in.

That cutscene gave me flash backs of the
Beauty
cutscenes in MGS4... which isn't a good thing.

But well, at least it gave us that video where they swap
Quiet
's character model with Ocelot's lol.

Those cutscenes were junky too, but at least
Beauties used to wear something, they weren't...naked.

The main story missions get increasingly hard and you miss out on alot if you stick to just doing nothing but the story missions. So much important gear and useful items and abilities are locked behind doing side ops, getting recruits, and motherbase stuff. Players feel forced into doing all the extra stuff. A person can focus on the story mainly but it really feels like you are missing out, and it just increases the games difficulty by alot as you are missing so many items that a very helpful or almost essential.

Like need some heavy weapons to take gears and vehicles head on? You wont get them for a long time if you skip doing lot of side stuff, so any encounters with them you are at a disadvantage. Lot of shortcuts or fun things are also not available.

Why tho? Most of the animals I extracted via fulton was living peacefully in the wild until I captured them. Most animals also live in far too small cages in that zoo... when will the NGO pick them up exactly?
Maybe to build... a weapon to surpass the Metal Gear!?

um never cause they're paying you to set up that place in order to keep those animals off the battlefield...duhhhhhh

That whole feature feels like someone on the dev team said: "You should be able to collect all the animals and put them in a zoo on your base!"

Then someone else said: "Well, guys, that's kind of fucked up" and then the whole environmental NGO was thrown in to make that guy happy.

That whole feature feels like someone on the dev team said: "You should be able to collect all the animals and put them in a zoo on your base!"

Then someone else said: "Well, guys, that's kind of fucked up" and then the whole environmental NGO was thrown in to make that guy happy.
So basically the same thing that happened for every situation in every MGS game.

Trago

Made me laugh.

https://twitter.com/KanKanDances/status/641746432744161280/photo/1
COfw-sAUkAAvknV.png

So basically the same thing that happened for every situation in every MGS game.

MGS2:

"Hey guys, this feels really similar to the first game... Should we mix it up or something?"

Kojima: "Eh, I'll just write some meta nonsense that explains it all in the ending"

hehe

Ludens

Banned

Nah, more like "We need something to do in those empty zones. We already put flowers in, but they are infinite...what about a new kind of collectibles? We can take out something like 10 hours of gameplay from this if we attach an achievement to this task, otherwise nobody will bother".

"Ok".

Top Bottom