• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hasney

Aside from staff, you don't actually lose any resources from your Motherbase if your FOB is successfully invaded. You only lose some of what was on your FOB, so if you never set up an FOB you're just missing out on what is practically free resources and increased staff caps. People are highly misunderstanding FOBs. Even the staff you lose is taken from your Security Staff IIRC and the game automatically puts the worst soldiers in there.

No, materials are taken, it's just from the unprocessed pot. Staff is a combination of people in security AND people posted to the platform that was invaded.

shiba5

Aside from staff, you don't actually lose any resources from your Motherbase if your FOB is successfully invaded. You only lose some of what was on your FOB, so if you never set up an FOB you're just missing out on what is practically free resources and increased staff caps. People are highly misunderstanding FOBs. Even the staff you lose is taken from your Security Staff IIRC and the game automatically puts the worst soldiers in there.

I was reading that you can lose MB staff too. Is that not the case? There is a lot of confusing info out there. If I don't lose MB resources, I'm more willing to try it.

This game sure is an amazing masterpiece from the first few hours I have been playing this and I suspect it will get much, much better once I learn new buddies and expand my mother base.

The careful scanning the environment and planning my attack is just what I always wanted out of a game that is primarily focused on stealth. I had my linear experiences with Splinter Cell and Thief but this opens it up on a whole other level.

I am not particularly fond of Afghanistan, though. The drab and repetitive environments make it hard for me to actually say WOW.

Meier

Does DD ever get better at staying put? He just randomly followed me when I crawled through some tunnels and then got spotted by a sniper and fucked me. Does this always happen?

Hasney

I was reading that you can lose MB staff too. Is that not the case? There is a lot of confusing info out there. If I don't lose MB resources, I'm more willing to try it.

You do lose staff and unprocessed materials, but you put your best staff on direct contracts in the staff management view to stop them from possibly being stolen.

Xanathus

No, materials are taken, it's just from the unprocessed pot. Staff is a combination of people in security AND people posted to the platform that was invaded.
The materials taken are the ones that are on the FOB. If you check your resources, you'll see that materials are actually split between what's on your motherbase and what's on the FOB. Only the materials on the FOB can get stolen and those are generated by the FOB itself.

If the invader fultons out staff, those get taken from your Security staff. They also get ~10 staff as a reward for reaching the door but those 10 aren't taken from your Motherbase.

There's really ZERO downside to setting up FOB.

I like how destroying tanks and enemies blown up by the truck you just hit with a rocket don't count for the no-alarms-no-kills mission bonus :p
Or maybe it's because they were the mission targets? Still, I have two burned bodies lying here and I'm pretty sure someone was in those tanks.

Hasney

The materials taken are the ones that are on the FOB. If you check your resources, you'll see that materials are actually split between what's on your motherbase and what's on the FOB. Only the materials on the FOB can get stolen and those are generated by the FOB itself.

Oh yeah, it's still materials, but I guess it's "online" materials. Mining those are half the point of having an FOB though. Your good staff that isn't in security can be taken though if they're not under direct contract. I've lost A++ staff that aren't in security.

shiba5

You do lose staff and unprocessed materials, but you put your best staff on direct contracts in the staff management view to stop them from possibly being stolen.

Ok, so I just direct contact everyone. That sounds more reasonable. I just don't want to log on and find half my base missing.

Aces&Eights

So when I first turned on the game I went online but after reading all this invading stuff I turn off my internet connection before launching the game. Since I never connect to the servers I've yet to be invaded. Once the game is running I can turn the connection on so I can chat with friends but the game doesn't try to connect to the online servers. Before I turn the game off I disconnect again.

It's a pain but it seems to work. Not one invasion and I've got a petty decent sized fob.

Ps4.

Nameless

Had to take a break after putting
223 staffers in Quarantine. Plus I still have two departments & the waiting room to cycle through. Somewhere around 40% of my 700+ staff members will end up there if I had to guess.
Shit's bad.

So I just finished mission 3
i think where you
blow up the tanks under 15 mins
. I can't seem to unlock the next mission, even though i listen to all the tapes and finished around 60% od side ops. Any idea? If there is a certain trick to it then please try not to spoil it :D

Hasney

Ok, so I just direct contact everyone. That sounds more reasonable. I just don't want to log on and find have my base missing.

You can only direct contract a limited amount of people though. Like right now, I don't have enough to do all my A++ staff so I've contracted S and above mostly.

iMax

"The Final Countdown" in my helicopter is great. Together with Miller's nonchalant attitude toward the operatives I choose to extract... "her?"—I genuinely feel I'm just playing as the Bluth family.

Xanathus

So when I first turned on the game I went online but after reading all this invading stuff I turn off my internet connection before launching the game. Since I never connect to the servers I've yet to be invaded. Once the game is running I can turn the connection on so I can chat with friends but the game doesn't try to connect to the online servers. Before I turn the game off I disconnect again.

It's a pain but it seems to work. Not one invasion and I've got a petty decent sized fob.

Ps4.

Sigh... that's not how it works. You still can get invaded even if you're offline, you're just not seeing the invasions if you don't connect to Konami servers and you're also not getting the benefits of the FOB.

shiba5

Ps4.

I thought the FOB was added to the cloud as soon as it's created. Can you create one while offline?
Edit: nm, that's what I thought.

Mupod

So I just finished all the objectives in Mission 29 and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to go about extracting those guys.

My strategy was to
blow off their armor with rockets, but my RL couldn't quite do the job in one shot. However, one rocket and one CQC counter was enough. So I thought I'd bring in the air shotgun and shoot them in the face when they were stunned - the damage this does is hilariously low. Plan B was sleep grenades - these work great if you toss them while they're stunned, but feel inconsistent. And I can only carry 4, so I spent a lot on resupply. Quiet does piss all damage but she did help a little.

Basically it took forever. There has to be a faster way.
Maybe an LMG for stripping the armor, but what about bringing down their health? They refill their armor very quickly.

Also, with a 90% chance to fulton, two of them failed. Fucking XCOM RNG. Thankfully the extraction doesn't have to succeed to clear the objectives, but I didn't get any parasites...can you even get them from this mission?

Aces&Eights

Sigh... that's not how it works. You still can get invaded even if you're offline, you're just not seeing the invasions if you don't connect to Konami servers and you're also not getting the benefits of the FOB.

Can you elaborate? My research team is constantly providing me materials. I've got teams doing missions and I'm yielding the results. All in offline mode. So, sure, someone might be invading me but I never connect online to take the hit. What am I missing. I hadn't had one thing stolen or one invasion noted and my guys are out in the world doing their thing.

Edit: I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious. All I want is to not lose shit to other people. If they can steal it but it never registered on my end then I don't care. I don't see how they can though. I connected once before the first scene. Never connected since. How is there even a base for them to invade?

Aurongel

Mission 18:

Man, for a game that wants to tackle the difficult topic of
child soldiers
, the frustrating mission design really makes you want to just gun them all down by the time its' over. Enemies spawning behind you, broken vocal commands and a frustrating helicopter made the mission feel like an absolute chore. By far the most trial-and-error heavy part of the game so far. This is the second mission in a row where I've said, "that was the worst mission in the game so far".

Gotta put this down for a while.

EDIT: Also, that
one child soldier with the yellow hat has to be Drebin, right? The setup seems so obvious

Spoilers for Quiet's costume:

I'm glad you can finally put some clothes on her after researching the Grey Fox uniform. She looks so much better.

Alo0oy

Banned
Don't you have to purchase the water or something and then build the FOB? Ah, macrotransactions.

Yeah, I bought the MB coins already, but I was given the free (lol) FoB, & then I bought the second one with the coins, but there's no option to buy #3 or #4.

Late Flag

I've always responded well to "hard coaching," so I kind of like it when the game taunts you a little when it sees that you're fucking up. I've struggled a bit on a couple of missions, and it's a nice touch that Kojima reaches out to say "Hey, you're really making a hash of this -- perhaps you'd like this chicken hat so you can get past this part?" That motivates me to focus.

Griss

The "characters" cast reel and credits for Hideo Kojima before/after every mission has to be some of the most obnoxious shit i've ever seen in a video game.

Not only does the former spoil, but the later is so ego-centric. I know who the damn director of MGS5 is, thanks for telling me the 18th time.

It would be warranted if each episode had major plot points and felt like an episode. But many missions feel like glorified side-ops. Those that don't really stand out like a sore thumb.

this is the best and the worst MGS depending on what kind of MGS fan you are. This is absolutely the best gameplay MGS. So good. Addicting. The missions can be tackled is totally open. You can do a perfect stealth or you can be a walking tank. It gives you total freedom. I love the gameplay. But if you are a fan of MGS for its story and long cutscenes and codec conversation, you'll be sorely disappointed frown emoticon the story is pretty weak and there is too much missions between events of the game And some mission may be fillers. The game has multiple ending like peace Walker. I just completed the first chapter. But I'll play for the story. I wanna see how the story ends. I wish the story was better with more cutscenes. But this game is so good to play. I played over 46 hours right now And I wanna play so much more. Sometimes I play 12 hours a day. That's how addicting the game is.

Agreed. You play for 1 hour and it becomes 4 very, very quickly. It's that good. And as someone who always played MGS for the story, I've really had to try to change my spots here. It is definitely refreshing to play an MGS where I enjoy the game as much as the cut scenes though. Other than MGS3 (where I thought he nailed both the game and the story) I usually just struggled to get to the next piece of narrative, hoping it would be worth the effort.

Hahaha @ the explanation for Quiet's clothes. Yeah Kojima, I feel reallyyyyy ashamed.

The first time she bent over in the ACC I must admit I became quite vigorously ashamed for about 10 minutes and then had a shower.

That whole post is classical example of someone stretching to justify why something that is different from their preconceptions and expectations is "wrong".[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree, all of the points are bogus.

Welp, then allow me to defend myself here. And let me state that if your key point is 'his opinion is what it is because it differed from his expectation', then
a) You don't know what I was expecting, and
b) You could dismiss any opinion of a creative work that way.
But you did engage my points head on, so fair enough. I just didn't like that one line.

1. The management aspect and all the menu manipulation it entails is gameplay, its just gameplay of a different sort. Beyond the basic meta-game fun of building up your own private army

I didn't find that particularly fun. It's all just menu busy-work to me. You fulton guys (something I don't like about the base gameplay at all as it's too easy a way of dealing with bodies), then they're automatically placed where they need to be and you unlock weapons to purchase. Nothing about that is particularly fun, novel or interesting to me. It's just a little convoluted.

it allow the player to shape the action component in a myriad of ways. It allows you to strengthen yourself and to weaken the enemy selectively and independently.

It does let you do this to the enemy, and I mentioned that. That's pretty cool. But as for 'strengthening yourself selectively' almost every game does that with weapon selection and loadouts, which is all this amounts to when it comes to Snake, really. This one makes that process very convoluted (having to upgrade MB to unlock more slots, thus needing more men, and higher level men etc) and hides things behind annoying 18 minute timers and GMP / resource grinds. I don't see how that added anything. I would have preferred that if you pick up a weapon or blueprint in the field, that's it. There it is, available. Then you can 'selectively strengthen' however you want without having to micromanage resources. I'd like to be big boss in the field, not a regional logistics manager, thanks. Let's leave that to Kaz. What the fuck does he do, anyway? Again, this is just my opinion on how I felt while experiencing the game. I will admit that if the multiplayer thing is good then it might justify a lot of this.

The cited example is incorrect also, as supply drops occur in that mission automatically regardless of whether you call them or not. Not to mention that making time free from threat to dig into your iDroid is half the skill involved.

I know that the supplies are called automatically and should have said so. Point taken. However they were never delivered at my location or on time and therefore did not get the job done, leading to me recalling having to do it myself. The fact that half of the fight was making time to delve into a menu was essentially my complaint - I thought that was weak design in a weak fight. I didn't enjoy playing it, and the menu issue was a part of it.

This is fundamentally fallacious as the actual hub of the game is the ACC, not mother base. Mother base is effectively another sort of "field" environment where missions and story events take place. "Why can't we just select a mission and go" is just another restatement of the "why have an open world" argument. Point being if you just jump to locations based off a rote menu, spatial relationships between points in the game world are redundant. Its convenient but flavourless.

You are right that the hub is the ACC, but
a) That's the point: why? Why not just go from Mother Base whenever you want and remove a layer of abstraction and time wasting? Why couldn't everything that happens on the ACC just be done from Mother Base, from where you then call a chopper? And
b) You are brought back to Mother Base automatically on countless occasions for cutscenes or what-have-you and then what I stated applies.

As for the 'flavour' point, I did not find the world itself particularly cohesive or real, and therefore that point doesn't stand for me. If I had, it certainly would be a good point, and I get what you mean about spatial relationships of locations in the game. That's a good point. It's just that the way the map was executed those relationships seemed artificial to me. They were very clearly 'levels' connected by roads, particularly in Afghanistan where you have so few options in getting from place to place due to the cliffs and ravines.

3. The game is formatted like episodes of TV show to accentuate the stand-alone nature of the combat scenarios they contain. The "surprise" aspect is kind of moot given each mission is intended to be replayed multiple times. Sub-objectives are in many cases mutually exclusive (i.e. eliminate vs extract target) or take place in geographically remote locations, there's a balancing "surprise" element in what those are in many cases. Ultimately though, there is benefit to knowing who/what you are facing up-front in terms of building anticipation of what you are going to encounter, not to mention allowing you to equip an appropriate loadout for what can be lengthy stretches in the field.

Ruining the first playthrough of a mission because it's 'designed to be played multiple times' is a terrible decision, not least because many people only play through a game once. There's no reason that an enjoyable first experience and good replayability should be exclusive. And there's no reason that spoiling the contents of the chapter increases replayability. Thus there's absolutely no reason for it, and the missions aren't detailed or long enough to make the credits seem warranted in the first place. As for the 'preparedness' reason, this might apply if you got to choose your loadout after the credits, but you don't. I think most people have agreed that this hindered rather than helped their enjoyment of the game, I feel the same.

There is plenty to be done, and fun to be had, from just exploring these expansive war-zones. The whole point of "open-world" construction is to provide a free-form sandbox wherein you set your own targets in order to amuse yourself.

Someone mentioned the bear earlier, so it's a good example here. In many open world games I would have stumbled upon the bear and been wrecked, and it would have been awesome. In this one, I very nearly did, but right before I did I got the message 'Side op accepted - hunt the legendary bear' and I was able to see it was prowling ahead of me. Rather than something just occurring I had simply stumbled into another mission. It's just not quite the same as 'making your own fun', not to me, and it makes it feel like the missions and side-ops could have been separated into levels without harming much of what I enjoyed about the game.

I do appreciate you taking the time to debate, though, and that you didn't try to defend the story, though, lol.

Mission 18:

child soldiers
, the frustrating mission design really makes you want to just gun them all down by the time its' over. Enemies spawning behind you, broken vocal commands and a frustrating helicopter made the mission feel like an absolute chore. By far the most trial-and-error heavy part of the game so far. This is the second mission in a row where I've said, "that was the worst mission in the game so far".

This is actually easy.

Before going out of the

cave:

1. Call for backup (Heli)
2. Use Quiet (just to keep them busy)
3. Call for supply drop (vehicle)
4. Tranq all the kids, lol
5. Put them in the vehicle
6. Use Fulton
7. Profit

That's what I did.

Alo0oy

Banned
Mission 18:

child soldiers

EDIT: Also, that
one child soldier with the yellow hat has to be Drebin, right? The setup seems so obvious

Hmm, Quiet took care of that entire section for me, she IS easy mode.

ezekial45

Banned
Just a quick question about Quiet later in the game. I haven't gotten there yet, so keep it spoiler free.

i understand that she leaves Mother Base later on, but is it possible to get her back?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This is actually easy.

Before going out of the

cave:

1. Call for backup (Heli)
2. Use Quiet (just to keep them busy)
3. Call for supply drop (vehicle)
4. Tranq all the kids, lol
5. Put them in the vehicle
6. Use Fulton
7. Profit

That's what I did.

That would have been a good idea. I approached it as I approach every mission. Take everyone out and then complete objective. Has yet to fail me, no matter the mission type!

Xanathus

Can you elaborate? My research team is constantly providing me materials. I've got teams doing missions and I'm yielding the results. All in offline mode. So, sure, someone might be invading me but I never connect online to take the hit. What am I missing. I hadn't had one thing stolen or one invasion noted and my guys are out in the world doing their thing.

Edit: I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely curious. All I want is to not lose shit to other people. If they can steal it but it never registered on my end then I don't care. I don't see how they can though. I connected once before the first scene. Never connected since. How is there even a base for them to invade?

Invaders can invade even if you're offline. If you're offline they just make off with some resources that are on your FOB and possibly staff. You *only* lose resources that are on your FOB which is completely separate from your MB. If you never connect online, you're only getting resources generated by Motherbase.

Motherbase and FOB are essentially completely separate and you can only lose whatever was generated by FOB in the first place. And even then you only lose unprocessed materials, you automatically get processed materials and that's totally safe. The game will show you what the invader obtained as rewards and that includes processed materials and staff, but those AREN'T actually taken from your FOB or MB, they're just generated from thin air as rewards for the invader.

Mupod

I actually found a use for the sonar now that I've enabled god mode (quiet suppressed tranq). It helps me find all the guys she took out without me ever even noticing.

But I mean it's not like DD isn't ridiculously good either. Shows you where every prisoner is and it's impossible for anyone to sneak up on you. The other buddies have their role too, unless you want to walk everywhere.

So I just finished all the objectives in Mission 29 and I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to go about extracting those guys.

My strategy was to
blow off their armor with rockets, but my RL couldn't quite do the job in one shot. However, one rocket and one CQC counter was enough. So I thought I'd bring in the air shotgun and shoot them in the face when they were stunned - the damage this does is hilariously low. Plan B was sleep grenades - these work great if you toss them while they're stunned, but feel inconsistent. And I can only carry 4, so I spent a lot on resupply. Quiet does piss all damage but she did help a little.

Basically it took forever. There has to be a faster way.
Maybe an LMG for stripping the armor, but what about bringing down their health? They refill their armor very quickly.

Also, with a 90% chance to fulton, two of them failed. Fucking XCOM RNG. Thankfully the extraction doesn't have to succeed to clear the objectives, but I didn't get any parasites...can you even get them from this mission?

I found the LMG to work the best. Rockets were shit. I was able to strip the armor and deplete one Skulls health with less than one clip.
Edit - just read your post again and noticed you were talking about extraction. I don't know of a good strategy for that haha.

Looking for just a yes/no answer regarding how to get the true ending. Spoiler tagged is a gameplay related question, no story:

Do I need to complete all the Subsistence, Extreme, etc. missions in order to unlock it?

Top Bottom