• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

It's me or the Dog takes away immersion , I got him like 5 missions ago and every time I order him "do not move" or something like that the Dog just stops moving like few seconds and then stars walking toward me.

It feels like Ellie in TLOU, you hide from enemy soldier and the Dog is just wandering around and the soldier just yells at him , its a fu.ing dog with a parch on its eye and the soldier just yells. Also in full alert if you hide under a bridge or a sewer the dog just waits over you surrounded by tons of soldiers and nobody do anything.
not in an immersion sense, I thought it acts pretty believable and enemies react pretty good to it.

but it's AI is dumb as rocks when it comes to standing in front of your scope or not listening to you when mortar fire is incoming lol

it's pretty awesome for close combat or stealth infiltration but damn is it annoying for sniping or anything with ranged encounters

i brought him once for Mission 28 hahaha god I must have said move/wait 30 times before i gave up and dismissed him

D-Walker with Interceptor Mode upgrade is such a surgeon with his pistols lol

air drop it into a guardpost and it takes out like 5-10 guards in 10-20 second

Intercept Mode is so depressing.

Here I was thinking D-Walker would autonomously move around and kill enemies with both main and sub weapons where applicable but instead it just stands in one spot and shoots anything that's in a short cone in front of it.

I've watched a guy throw grenades at D-Walker repeatedly and it absolutely will not turn around to do anything.

Intercept Mode should not have been the last upgrade if all it does is turn D-Walker into an easily destroyed turret.

You can just use Quiet for significantly lowered cost plus she can wipe out bases on her own with no upgrades (only need some Bond level to unlock Cover Me for this).

TitusTroy

I wasn't using HBAO+ during my initial run-through of Phantom Pain but just now enabled it...noticeable difference with HBAO+ versus SSAO...shadows/lighting look much more crisp and clean...also went back and re-played Ground Zeroes...the SSR is so much better in that game...I wish they had not nerfed SSR in Phantom Pain as it really added a new level of graphics fidelity

muteki

D-Walker's only use for me so far is bosses, though it does a pretty good job at that. The various heads aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I just got the last head and stun gun last night and need to try them out, but last I checked there were just a few things that I still had to hop off to do, which isn't that practical to me.

Are there any assault rifles with a non-lethal variant other than the UNARC - NL?

I've upgraded it to be able to add a suppressor but it's durability is gone after about 20 rounds.

I can't seem to mod it with other suppressors either as the option is locked out.

Intercept Mode is so depressing.

Here I was thinking D-Walker would autonomously move around and kill enemies with both main and sub weapons where applicable but instead it just stands in one spot and shoots anything that's in a short cone in front of it.

I've watched a guy throw grenades at D-Walker repeatedly and it absolutely will not turn around to do anything.

Intercept Mode should not have been the last upgrade if all it does is turn D-Walker into an easily destroyed turret.

You can just use Quiet for significantly lowered cost plus she can wipe out bases on her own with no upgrades (only need some Bond level to unlock Cover Me for this).
well there's no movement but his range is pretty good, at least 75m when I measured it with a range finder... and it's in any direction, not just a frontal cone

no main weapon use is too bad but honnestly even with uzis he still drops a half dozen guys in seconds... the worst part is the lack of movement, and dumb AI making it hard to issue orders. you gotta really drive or air drop it into a good position

it's AI is pretty good at combat though, it'll attack from a solid 50-75m all the time even if the enemies haven't aggro-ed yet.... ignoring someone throwing grenades may have been a LOS issue, not sure... that happens once in a while with mecha-walker rockets too.

but for sure, it's not a replacement for quiet... quiet has less burst DPS probably but far more damage over time and exponentially more survivability... but... you know... it's an alternative to quiet that you can also use to destroy tanks or sahelthropus or just drive around ;p more than anything tho just an alternative to quiet not an equal replacement by any means

i mean, d-walker had its good utility even without interceptor mode so it's just a bonus on top of that lol sort of nice to have an alternative to quiet after you finish the game and you're just free roaming daily.

well there's no movement but his range is pretty good, at least 75m when I measured it with a range finder... and it's in any direction, not just a frontal cone

no main weapon use is too bad but honnestly even with uzis he still drops a half dozen guys in seconds... the worst part is the lack of movement, and dumb AI making it hard to issue orders. you gotta really drive or air drop it into a good position

it's AI is pretty good at combat though, it'll attack from a solid 50-75m all the time even if the enemies haven't aggro-ed yet.... ignoring someone throwing grenades may have been a LOS issue, not sure... that happens once in a while with mecha-walker rockets too.

but for sure, it's not a replacement for quiet... quiet has less burst DPS probably but far more damage over time and exponentially more survivability... but... you know... it's an alternative to quiet that you can also use to destroy tanks or sahelthropus or just drive around ;p more than anything tho just an alternative to quiet not an equal replacement by any means

i mean, d-walker had its good utility even without interceptor mode so it's just a bonus on top of that lol sort of nice to have an alternative to quiet after you finish the game and you're just free roaming daily.

My D-Walker doesn't turn around, even if it and the opponent firing at him from behind are on an even elevation.

I just find it really really underwhelming while the Intercept Head description makes it sound like the most badass thing ever. It should have said "turns D-Walker into a turret that shoots enemies in front of it with sub weapons and doesn't respond to grenades".

If they went with that I wouldn't have any problems with Intercept Head because its description would match what it does, but alas that is not the case.

I like good autonomous AI and the description pulled me along from the moment I saw it into the inevitable disappointment once I found out it was a lie.

D-Walker has uses without the Intercept Head, to be clear my disappointment is squarely aimed at what the Intercept Head says it does and what it actually does in practice.

Alexm92

So I'm about half way through MGS2 (at least I think its about half way, I just
bet Fatman on the heliport
) Iv never played MGS 3,4 or Peace Walker. Im just wondering would it be wise to go straight onto MGS5 once I beat 2? Or should I play through the other 3 games aswel? Opinions appreciated

J.EM1

My D-Walker doesn't turn around, even if it and the opponent firing at him from behind are on an even elevation.

I just find it really really underwhelming while the Intercept Head description makes it sound like the most badass thing ever. It should have said "turns D-Walker into a turret that shoots enemies in front of it with sub weapons and doesn't respond to grenades".

If they went with that I wouldn't have any problems with Intercept Head because its description would match what it does, but alas that is not the case.

I like good autonomous AI and the description pulled me along from the moment I saw it into the inevitable disappointment once I found out it was a lie.

D-Walker has uses without the Intercept Head, to be clear my disappointment is squarely aimed at what the Intercept Head says it does and what it actually does in practice.
I felt the same way. When I developed the Intercept Head, I thought it would make D-Walker fully autonomous, but nope. :\

But I really should use D-Walker some more though. I'm always either using D-Dog or Quiet.

myco666

) Iv never played MGS 3,4 or Peace Walker. Im just wondering would it be wise to go straight onto MGS5 once I beat 2? Or should I play through the other 3 games aswel? Opinions appreciated

Atleast play MGS3 and PW before jumping into this considering this is a sequel for those games. You could even play 4 while you are at it.

El Jaffe

At the very least, play MGS3 beforehand.

muteki

I'd say you have less than 10 hours left in MGS2 and ~15 or so for MGS3. Compared to what you can sink into MGS5, that's not a lot.

Peace Walker is longer but I haven't finished it so can't comment on it's necessity. It is more important to play GZ than PW at this stage if you are in a rush.

Tainted

It's probably been answered many times in these 2 OTs...but how how do I unlock side ops #150 & mission 45 ? I googled and it listed a bunch of requirements which all check out except one
(Making sure you have seen the cutscene where Huey gets exiled).

I did not get this cutscene and the last time I saw him he was
pissed off at me for killing the DDs during that outbreak on the quarantine platform.
I have made sure that all yellow cassettes have been listened to, all yellow side ops done and story missions...but I just cant get side ops 150 /
Huey cutscene to pop ?

Lettuce

When looking at the map it have the icons of helmets, pistol, camera etc which refer to the combat deployment missions, what does it mean when these icons are red?

ezekial45

Banned
When looking at the map it have the icons of helmets, pistol, camera etc which refer to the combat deployment missions, what does it mean when these icons are red?

They've intensified their defenses. Red icons for helmets and weapons mean the guards are carrying helmets and heavier weapons.

They basically react to how you play. If they notice guards that have headshot damage (either lethal or non-lethal), they'll wear helmets.

Quick

Banned

They've intensified their defenses. Red icons for helmets and weapons mean the guards are carrying helmets and heavier weapons.

They basically react to how you play. If they notice guards that have headshot damage (either lethal or non-lethal), they'll wear helmets.

You can then deploy troops to destroy helmet supplies and whatnot.

Do snipers just show up in the game naturally as you progress, or is it a response to your actions as well?

Alexm92

At the very least, play MGS3 beforehand.

I'd say you have less than 10 hours left in MGS2 and ~15 or so for MGS3. Compared to what you can sink into MGS5, that's not a lot.

Peace Walker is longer but I haven't finished it so can't comment on it's necessity. It is more important to play GZ than PW at this stage if you are in a rush.

Atleast play MGS3 and PW before jumping into this considering this is a sequel for those games. You could even play 4 while you are at it.

Thanks for the information. I think ill definitely play MGS3. Iv heard pretty bad things about PW so I might just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. And as for 4, I dont know if I'll have access to a PS3 unless I buy one, now that I think of it same goes for PW. I could just watch cutscenes for 4 aswell I suppose. I emulated 1 and 2 and I can emulate 3 aswell.

Edit: Im definitely going to play GZ to

Randam

Thanks for the information. I think ill definitely play MGS3. Iv heard pretty bad things about PW so I might just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. And as for 4, I dont know if I'll have access to a PS3 unless I buy one, now that I think of it same goes for PW. I could just watch cutscenes for 4 aswell I suppose. I emulated 1 and 2 and I can emulate 3 aswell.

Edit: Im definitely going to play GZ to

imo you don't need to play any of the previous games.

God dammit.

I hate how dumb the processing materials system is.

I idle all night/day, come home have a TON of fuel, and no common processed.

URGH. I think I've asked in the FOB thread to no avail, is there any insight into this at all?

edit: If you stay on all day (like idling), do you not get the daily reward?

Hazmat

It's probably been answered many times in these 2 OTs...but how how do I unlock side ops #150 & mission 45 ? I googled and it listed a bunch of requirements which all check out except one
(Making sure you have seen the cutscene where Huey gets exiled).

I did not get this cutscene and the last time I saw him he was
pissed off at me for killing the DDs during that outbreak on the quarantine platform.
I have made sure that all yellow cassettes have been listened to, all yellow side ops done and story missions...but I just cant get side ops 150 /
Huey cutscene to pop ?

Do some side ops until things start progressing. You usually need to do everything yellow and complete (or redo) 3 side ops or missions to advance.

Quick question about a Quiet scene from the trailers. Is the scene where Ocelot
tortures
her in the game?

A Yes or No will suffice. Thanks.

I can't keep playing this. Mission 16, and I'm done. I attempted it once... I've already done umpteen many cargo recovery missions. This one's no different aside from the minimal effort towards a story.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't keep playing this. Mission 16, and I'm done. I attempted it once... I've already done umpteen many cargo recovery missions. This one's no different aside from the minimal effort towards a story.

You should complete this one, then stop doing cargo recovery missions.

Really, the game is very open ended and you don't really need to do most of the stuff you don't want to - except yellow missions.

^ I feel like the open world (side mission) aspect is needless filler. Guess I need to buckle down and plough through the primary missions instead of grinding through the rest of the game.

The idea is that they're there for you to enjoy. If you don't enjoy them, you can just skip them. Personally I did every single side op as it popped up and lost a ton of time that I could have spent getting through the story. No harm in saving the side ops until later.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
^ I feel like the open world (side mission) aspect is needless filler. Guess I need to buckle down and plough through the primary missions instead of grinding through the rest of the game.

It can start to feel like filler if you grind through it, but if you keep switching things up I find they're enjoyable all the way through since you keep getting new equipment you can test out during the side ops.

I'd recommend when you get tired of side ops play story missions. When you get tired of story missions bang out some side ops. If you get tired of both, check out the FoB missions.

And of course, there is always the option to just stop and do something else, or play another game and come back another time.

Early on I was wearing myself thin as well by sticking to one playstyle and continually doing a bunch of sideops. Changing things up made it much more enjoyable.

Tainted

Do some side ops until things start progressing. You usually need to do everything yellow and complete (or redo) 3 side ops or missions to advance.

Thanks, Ill just punch out more side ops then. I don't like how the game isn't super clear about the processes of unlocking these levels in Chapter 2....but after trying to properly finish P.T. I shouldn't be surprised ;)

KOMANI

KOMANI
You're right, it is filler. And unfortunately you need to complete them to unlock other side ops that may/may not be important.
Suggestion: have fun. Play them when you want. Kill if you want, but learn to pace yourself. Maybe just free roam and grind some FEUL and soldiers, and run into a side op naturally.

Tainted

Don't spend too much time on the side ops and just focus on the main story. I did the same as you at the start (ie Just playing every side op which popped up before moving back to the story)..and was feeling quite jaded by the repetitiveness of it all Like others said, just do a handful and/or come across them naturally.

Revven

FUCK YES! S ranked all the missions in the game! Even the harder variations. I feel very accomplished right now.

Now I just need to do the tedious shit (all tasks and develop the rest of the weapons I have left) and then I'll have 100%!

S ranking everything really isn't all that bad when you have insanely upgraded gear and know exactly what you need to do. I'd recommend anyone to try doing it, it's really not that bad.

To be honest, I think I found some of the GZ (Ground Zeroes) missions harder to S rank but that's probably because you don't have much of a choice in infiltration + lack of gear let alone high level gear.

Kindekuma

Banned
Played 'bowling' today with a random guard, set up 6 decoys and a held up guard a couple meters away. Calling a truck drop on a soldier will cause the physics to shove the guy out violently forward, so it's fun to get a guy to knock into the decoys.

You're pretty good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just realized that one of the best scenes in the game happens when you're a lousy manager. No story spoilers, I guess.

The art of psychological warfare doesn't work on animals it seems.

This cutscene is rad. What a bummer its hidden behind doing not well!

Any other cutscenes like this? I heard there was one for going in the red on GMP.

Top Bottom