• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
These are the conditions that make that portion of the game happen.
- Max bond with Quiet
- Complete mission 42
- No butterfly emblem.

If you don't have the emblem on when you complete mission 42 and have Quiet at max bond, she'll leave and you'll start her final story missions.

If you keep the last one on, you'll indefinitely delay it.

I accidently clicked your spoiler...

...I'm so fucking glad I clicked your spoiler.

So I'm on the final-final story mission and... I'm just stunned. The back half of this game is a joke. I hope we find out someday what this game would have been like if they weren't told "pencils down."

brau

So I'm on the final-final story mission and... I'm just stunned. The back half of this game is a joke. I hope we find out someday what this game would have been like if they weren't told "pencils down."

*pat pat

its ok.. let it all out. The Spoiler thread will welcome you. We have all been there.

Kolx

Even tho I fulton many guys with high skills yet at the end of the side ops I can't find them in the mother base. Is there a limit for how many soldiers I can fulton per mission? I thought I can fulton as many as I want as long as I have enough balloons with me?

SJRB

Gold Member
Even tho I fulton many guys with high skills yet at the end of the side ops I can't find them in the mother base. Is there a limit for how many soldiers I can fulton per mission? I thought I can fulton as many as I want as long as I have enough balloons with me?

They might be in the brig if they're hostile at first. It takes some time for them to be released and actually used as Mother Base staff.

tilomite!

Got the platinum today, what a ride. Perfect gameplay, but had some issues. Underwhelming bosses, unfinished story. I wish we could get some VR missions.

MNC

The story is so fucking disjointed. The random sprinkles of cutscenes
interrogating quiet, and the next prancing around in the rain...
its like there's absolutely no sense of continuity

Kolx

They might be in the brig if they're hostile at first. It takes some time for them to be released and actually used as Mother Base staff.

They're not at the brig cuz I check it with the waiting room and all the other platforms and they're no where to be found :/

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What broken cover system? Perfect stealth is absolutely doable in MGSV. All the subsistence missions I did without being spotted, so it's not like you have to rely on gadgets. Obviously there are total stealth missions too...

I dunno, never had trouble ghosting through missions when I wanted to.

Really? That's the first I've heard about the cover system being so broken it prevents stealth runs.

To clarify, when I say broken cover system, I mean when "leaning" against objects in order to be in cover. It's too damn sensitive. Majority of the time when I want to be in cover, im not and vice versa, I can go to Mother Base and just casually go up and down stairs and Snake will be "sucked" into cover against the railing. I can go in the small tents or the single room building type things (not sure what you call them since they're not houses or cabins or huts but in the first mission itself when you rescue Miller, they're obviously everywhere) and can be "sucked" into cover against a bed or shelving or even better, walk over it. A perfect example is when there's stacks of sandbags. Three levels and you can't go into cover. I'll be crouched and push gently up so Snake goes into cover but yet, he never does and eventually, I'll literally stand up and walk/jump over the sandbags and no, im not pressing the X button (PS4). Cover system would have been better if it was simply "press ? button" to go into cover" and then press it again to get out of cover. That would have been way better simply because I wouldn't have to see Snake go into cover when I don't want him to nor should he and vice versa. Good game but nowhere near MGS and MGS3 in my opinion.

Alo0oy

Banned
Do soldiers cap at a certain rank when you play as them? I've been playing as a female soldier forever & she's still stuck at rank A, I ranked her up from B to A within like 3 missions, but I played as her for over 20 missions (most of them were with an S-rank) & she's still rank A. Is there an invisible cap?

SliChillax

Getting a Shadow of Mordor vibe with this game, the environments are just so dull. Enjoying the gameplay but I'm just bored of it after 8 hours in because there isn't anything different to see.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
To clarify, when I say broken cover system, I mean when "leaning" against objects in order to be in cover. It's too damn sensitive. Majority of the time when I want to be in cover, im not and vice versa, I can go to Mother Base and just casually go up and down stairs and Snake will be "sucked" into cover against the railing. I can go in the small tents or the single room building type things (not sure what you call them since they're not houses or cabins or huts but in the first mission itself when you rescue Miller, they're obviously everywhere) and can be "sucked" into cover against a bed or shelving or even better, walk over it. A perfect example is when there's stacks of sandbags. Three levels and you can't go into cover. I'll be crouched and push gently up so Snake goes into cover but yet, he never does and eventually, I'll literally stand up and walk/jump over the sandbags and no, im not pressing the X button (PS4). Cover system would have been better if it was simply "press ? button" to go into cover" and then press it again to get out of cover. That would have been way better simply because I wouldn't have to see Snake go into cover when I don't want him to nor should he and vice versa. Good game but nowhere near MGS and MGS3 in my opinion.

I see what you're saying. I've not had that issue and I don't think it's fair to claim the cover system is "broken". I can't say it's ever stopped me from getting Perfect Stealth/No Alarm bonuses. The only issue I have with the controls is some of the rocks are a bit too eager to be slippery. Otherwise, it plays silky smooth.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I see what you're saying. I've not had that issue and I don't think it's fair to claim the cover system is "broken". I can't say it's ever stopped me from getting Perfect Stealth/No Alarm bonuses. The only issue I have with the controls is some of the rocks are a bit too eager to be slippery. Otherwise, it plays silky smooth.

Granted, broken is probably the word I shouldn't have used but in a game where the gameplay is based and focused on stealth, the cover system should have been better than what it is. Seriously, it aggravates the hell out of me especially when it kills me. One time I was doing good and trying to crouch and be in cover behind those sandbags (which is when I realized you can cover behind four stacks but not three, lol) and whoops, I literally stand up and climb over, get shot, fall down and then die because of an enemy grenade. I know that a lot of gamers love this game and think that it's the best stealth game ever but not me, im simply not seeing or experiencing it and since the stealth genre sucks, MGSV being the best isn't really saying anything.

Anyway, here's a question for you, percentage wise, are you crouched more or crawling more? Because I get the feeling that the only way I would be able to go through unseen is by literally crawling and that's it. The controls should be tighter as it's too loose.

Alo0oy

Banned
I would definitely call the cover system broken, it's completely useless, it takes too long to get into the correct position, and any slight movement can get you out of cover.

Thankfully you don't need the cover system for stealth that much, but it's still awful in combat alert. Sometimes you find yourself jumping straight into the enemy's line of fire, or leave cover right into their line of fire, & aiming from a small window just doesn't work, "broken" is the right word.

I really hope they fix this for MGO.

This FOB shit is so fucking stupid.

"Hey, player. You know those S and A++ guys you literally spent hundreds of hours accumulating? Well fuck them, they're dead/captured. And fuck you, too. Go find more, or try and get them back and fail, because it's nearly impossible to get them back. Cool, right? Oh yeah, get fucked."

Absolute bullshit. Doesn't respect the player's time -- hell, the player -- at all.

So I just got the mother base cutscene
where quiet attacks one of the soldiers and breaks his teeth.

Is that an optional thing ? And do we discover why it happened ?

j-wood

So...

I just completed mission 28. What the fuck at the to be continued? Why would you completely break that momemtum? I haven't started the next mission yet.

So I just got the mother base cutscene
where quiet attacks one of the soldiers and breaks his teeth.

Is that an optional thing ? And do we discover why it happened ?

I don't think we get any explanation as to why she did that, but I am assuming that she was being harassed or ridiculed by the soldiers that caused her actions. Literally everyone at the Mother Base is apparently scared of her and think she is a freak because of her "special" abilities.

"Hey, player. You know those S and A++ guys you literally spent hundreds of hours accumulating?

The S-rank's I sorta understand, I haven't started getting a steady flow of them.
But A+ and A++ recruits/voulenteers are POURING into my base, like holy shit I can't farm/process resources fast enough to max my FOB to contain all these guys, its nuts.

I guess it helps that I only have a connection to like, 10 of those guys tops, and I'm still too scared to take any of them into the FOB infiltrations for fear of losing them :(

Warablo

Just completed the game. Great game, even though I only played MGS1. I am sure I am missing a lot.

END Story spoilers
I got to say that the story twist you could see coming from a mile away. I guess because of vague hints from other people. Then creating a face at the start of the game. Looking back on it I even recognised Kiefer voice as the other guy and being confused. Also explains why Eli isn't a match. Going to keep Quiet for the time being, already watched her ending.

Also was Huey telling the truth? And I guess Zero is the one who protected Big Boss, he wasn't our enemy? Like I said I am sure I am missing a lot, just trying to scrap together the pieces from others.

Finally played the mission that's in spoiler thread title. It's so wierd how kojima it super serious so far and goes full anime all of a sudden.

I don't think we get any explanation as to why she did that, but I am assuming that she was being harassed or ridiculed by the soldiers that caused her actions. Literally everyone at the Mother Base is apparently scared of her and think she is a freak because of her "special" abilities.
Her actions could've been tied with awareness of
the parasites
, too. Her fixation on one of the soldiers could've been her attempt to
remove them directly in contrast to the young Psycho Mantis who used his powers in the trimmed "Episode 51" to teleport the organisms straight out of Eli's throat.

Also was Huey telling the truth? And I guess Zero is the one who protected Big Boss, he wasn't our enemy? Like I said I am sure I am missing a lot, just trying to scrap together the pieces from others.
Huey Emmerich was a liar and a traitor from beginning to end this round. Strangelove accidentally locked herself inside the Mammal Pod, but he willingly ignored her pleas after she refused to use their child as a test pilot for ST-84 Metal Gear and her demise permitted him complete authority over its development. He was obsessed with building weapons of mass destruction given his desire to build Gear technology regardless of his situation and the parasite epidemic was triggered by his experiments. If you want to find out about what becomes of his character, consider playing MGS2: Sons of Liberty in the future.

Major Zero was certainly at the top of the circus for Cipher/The Patriots, but this installment finally revealed this character in a sympathetic light. Apparently, he was deeply bothered over Big Boss leaving his organization after he discovered the "Les Enfants Terribles" project in which the legendary soldier was cloned. Zero had always viewed Big Boss as an ally in the pursuit of bringing peace to the world despite conflicted ideals, but the entire doppelganger scheme and the secrecy involving his comatose treatment was a last ditch effort to make amends from their falling out.

Haunted

So...

I just completed mission 28. What the fuck at the to be continued? Why would you completely break that momemtum? I haven't started the next mission yet.
Yeah, that's generally acknowledged as a really poor design decision.

I get the whole TV show motif they were going for and everything, but it just turned out bad.

Yeah, that's generally acknowledged as a really poor design decision.

I get the whole TV show motif they were going for and everything, but it just turned out bad.
It was made worst from the opening credits spilling the beans on when unique characters appeared later in the episode. An undeniably poor design choice held further down from the slow arrival time of the helicopter to the LZ.

Renewed

I remember going into mission 30
prepared for a massive fight but all I got was a long stretch of stealth. Then the break happened and I realized "oh I forgot this is taking stuff from Peace Walker, darn" and so my huge loadout went to waste. Kept the same equipment and went into Mission 31 and S ranked it.

But it makes subsequent replays (like in Peace Walker) easier to get what I need done.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I found a cheat table thanks to a helpful pal in the Quiet clothing mod thread. The cheat table allows you FULL weapon customization.

I've been havin a REAL good time making some frankenweapons and I think they looks cool as all hell.

mgsvtpp_2015_10_02_22_21_26_269_by_aloooo81-d9bq75h.jpg

Here's my air pistol with a sleep grenade underbarrel.

mgsvtpp_2015_10_02_22_20_04_955_by_aloooo81-d9bq6wl.jpg

This is a SUPER short Kbarga auto shotgun.

mgsvtpp_2015_10_02_22_18_50_037_by_aloooo81-d9bq6x0.jpg

Cheat engine table download. When selecting parts, there will be ~50 or so parts. If it hasn't gone through everything in that category, you can back out - hit the Numpad + key, then enter back in the category and more options will be available.

When done reset it back to 0 to get back to the start for the next category.

This is super fun to make.

Permanently A

Is there a way to (hidden thing in the medical bay spoilers)
wake up Paz after showing her a photo? I even tried using the phantom cigar. Do I really have to go off mother base each time?

SJRB

Gold Member
So...

It's a courtesy of the game because you are undoubtedly underequipped for what is to come.

By doing that you get placed back in the ACC and can re-equip or equip other weapons. Peace Walker did this for every major situation as well.

Trust me, after you've played the mission you will understand why it happened.

myco666

It's a courtesy of the game because you are undoubtedly underequipped for what is to come.

By doing that you get placed back in the ACC and can re-equip or equip other weapons. Peace Walker did this for every major situation as well.

It still destroys the moment completely.
Helicopter is being attacked and shit is about to go down and the next thing you know you are sitting peacefully in ACC.
I get that you need it to be like this since no way your loadout is prepared for what comes in 29 but it removes all the urgency from the situation. This is a general problem in open world games though.

SJRB

Gold Member
It still destroys the moment completely.
Helicopter is being attacked and shit is about to go down and the next thing you know you are sitting peacefully in ACC.
I get that you need it to be like this since no way your loadout is prepared for what comes in 29 but it removes all the urgency from the situation. This is a general problem in open world games though.

Well I completely agree that it breaks momentum, but it is indefinately better than the alternative of just throwing you in there.

It's a bruteforce solution to a mission design problem. Could it have been done differently or more elegantly? Probably..

MNC

Anyone else's motivation to play fall off a cliff after mission 31? I can't see myself finishing this.

Yup. I can officially say I am not fond of the story, or atleast the way it is told. Too much down time inbetween story bits, as well as just not having the same drive as older MGS stories. I guess this just isn't the Big Boss story I wanted.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I know that a lot of gamers love this game and think that it's the best stealth game ever but not me, im simply not seeing or experiencing it and since the stealth genre sucks, MGSV being the best isn't really saying anything.

I guess the game was always going to be lacking for you if you had that in mind going in.

Anyway, here's a question for you, percentage wise, are you crouched more or crawling more? Because I get the feeling that the only way I would be able to go through unseen is by literally crawling and that's it. The controls should be tighter as it's too loose.

It depends. Generally, the lower the stance, the lower your visibility; the closer you are to the enemy, the lower you need to make your stance to avoid detection.

When approaching a densely guarded area, I tend to keep to the outskirts and crawl/roll/crouch walk (depending on the situation) between cover till I find an opening, keeping an eye on the direction the guards are looking and moving. I find patience and some planning is key to successful sneaking. Being ready to improvise at the drop of a hat doesn't hurt either (which is where the controls really shine compared to the older games). Marking enemies beforehand, using appropriate camo, and making sure to approach at night stack the odds in my favour too.

Pinktaco

Was I the only one not having a hard time with that one? I called in s tank, lol

roytheone

Yeah, but unless you follow a guide and read up on the mission in advance, you still can't really prepare for it. You have to play it at least once to know which weapons to bring.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, but unless you follow a guide and read up on the mission in advance, you still can't really prepare for it. You have to play it at least once to know which weapons to bring.

That's true, but at least you know
a battle against the Skulls is coming so you can gear up at least a bit better

I don't know, I had no real problem with the mechanic. It was blunt, but it worked. In fact, I wish they did it more often. Or brief you better in advance on what's to come. There are several missions that take some kind of turn that made me go "wait a minute, I'm not equipped for this" or I brought the wrong buddy and there's no time to drop in a new one.

Top Bottom