• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Wow, lmao. Late game spoilers:
Quiet in the rain.
I mean, just... what on earth? It's like Hideo
fell in actual romantic love with his own creation and forgot to write an actual plot as he was too busy making waifu scenes. I mean, just... what on earth?!?

Yeah saw that scene about an hour ago too and was laughing the entire way

duckroll

Agreed, sadly there is not enough of those.

I mean wtf happened during this game's development? a character like
Mantis
had the chance to surpass MGS1's Psycho Mantis boss fight, still one of the best and most memorable boss fights ever made.

Edit: I forgot, the Metal Gear boss fight in this game is imo the best in any of the MGS games.

I don't think anything "happened" during development. This is what I expected. I've posted about this over and over in the past year or so. My suspicion was always that this game will not have any classic MGS boss battles outside of a) a sniper battle, b) groups of special enemies, c) vehicles and mechs. The reasoning is partly due to how it is a much wider "open world" sandbox type of game, so one on one character battles rarely make sense, and can be really hard to tune. But a large part of my reasoning is simply that I think Kojima is no longer that interested in those types of battles. Just look at Peace Walker. If he was interested in that, there would have been a battle with Galvaz. The guy even has a rocket arm!

It's definitely disappointing in a way, but it's something I accepted a long time ago.

DrBo42

Mission 28
I managed to tranq the skulls the first time round and then was surprised to see after that extraction was a side obj. I assume that since they jumped back under the tree canopy that I'll need the portal fulton to get them out? There was no carry option.

Aselith

Wow, lmao. Late game spoilers:
Quiet in the rain.
I mean, just... what on earth? It's like Hideo
fell in actual romantic love with his own creation and forgot to write an actual plot as he was too busy making waifu scenes. I mean, just... what on earth?!?

That's called Doing a Meyer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yup, just climb on the hangar roof and fire off grenade launcher/machineguns/quiet. Only the groundspike/melee can hit you there.

Meh, I was a man and CQC'd
the skulls while Quiet tranq'd the puppets and I extracted those so they wouldn't get in the way of me dodging projectiles and CQC'ing.
LIKE A MAN.

I don't think anything "happened" during development. This is what I expected. I've posted about this over and over in the past year or so. My suspicion was always that this game will not have any classic MGS boss battles outside of a) a sniper battle, b) groups of special enemies, c) vehicles and mechs. The reasoning is partly due to how it is a much wider "open world" sandbox type of game, so one on one character battles rarely make sense, and can be really hard to tune. But a large part of my reasoning is simply that I think Kojima is no longer that interested in those types of battles. Just look at Peace Walker. If he was interested in that, there would have been a battle with Galvaz. The guy even has a rocket arm!

It's definitely disappointing in a way, but it's something I accepted a long time ago.

There are a few boss battles.
I would say the ones with the Skulls like the snipers on the Code Talker mission or the ones on Mission 29 count as boss battles, but not particularly good ones. I didn't think the Sahalanthropus fight was that hot either, and Sniper Wolf, Crying Wolf and The End were better then Quiet.

Code Talker's tapes are good but you really have to be in a patient mood to sit and listen. I do not recommend listening to them during gameplay. They need focus.

Boy am I glad that the fast-forward feature skips a line at a time.

It's so useful for the Code Talker tapes. Can finish a 4 minute tape in less then 30ish seconds.

PHOTOSHOP

50hrs in. I thought it beat the game...then i see CHAPTER 2 pop up. god damn it Kojima! I already spent all last week on this game.

Also what are some other ways to destroy communication workstations/satellites? beside water gun, grenade/c4 and gun.

Tabris

I never got that scene. I just youtubed it. I kinda love it and kinda hate it.

Honestly, the issue with Quiet, is you could have had the same story about why she is designed that way, and not had the design be an issue with either smaller breasts or a different brazier. And non-torn stockings.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't get this quarantine stuff. Is it forced busywork since my men are dying?

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't think I've ever had less interest in a game's online features.

Single player is amazing, but I'm 110% happy with playing offline at all times.

Unless somehow, some way, co-op missions become a thing.

Honestly I just want the login bonuses. At some point maybe FOB invading may be something I do (I'm still early enough that I haven't unlocked them), but for now, the bonuses would be nice.

There's a lot about this game that bugs me, despite having a ton of fun "playing" the game, but I cannot get over how bad the story progression is, where we still have people, myself included, unsure of how to advance the story, what progresses story missions, how to get certain cutscenes to trigger, why certain cutscenes can show back to back and contradict each other SPOILERS FOR QUIET
like why I got the playful rain splashing scene, did one side op, and returned to base and saw Quiet getting tortured for some reason
, how to find essential characters SPOILER AFTER CHAPTER 1 CREDITS
I still don't know where Paz is or how to unlock her so if you know please tell me how
, what the ending mission is, how to unlock the "true ending" and whether or not there's a secret ending for collector's edition owners.

It's a frustrating mess especially for a narrative heavy series.

So when I got on my chopper to leave motherbase I saw
code talker
chilling on the command platform. Haven't been able to find him since. Anyone know if you can interact with him?

I never got that scene. I just youtubed it. I kinda love it and kinda hate it.

Honestly, the issue with Quiet, is you could have had the same story about why she is designed that way, and not had the design be an issue with either smaller breasts or a different brazier. And non-torn stockings.

The ripped stockings is what makes it so dumb. Why would she wear those at all if the point is to expose as much skins as possible to the air? She could just be wearing shorts instead of a thong and ripped stockings. But I mean, it's kinda obvious Kojima made up this character then pulled some justification out of his ass.

RDreamer

Oh my god this is so stupid. The game logic on this mission is so broken. (Mission 17)

So I'm leading these kids and I realize because I blew up the satellite I can call in a chopper literally right by where you get them. Like a few feet. But I don't know how the hell to get the kids to follow me up there

ugh

There's a lot about this game that bugs me, despite having a ton of fun "playing" the game, but I cannot get over how bad the story progression is, where we still have people, myself included, unsure of how to advance the story, what progresses story missions, how to get certain cutscenes to trigger, why certain cutscenes can show back to back and contradict each other SPOILERS FOR QUIET
like why I got the playful rain splashing scene, did one side op, and returned to base and saw Quiet getting tortured for some reason
, how to find essential characters SPOILER AFTER CHAPTER 1 CREDITS
I still don't know where Paz is or how to unlock her so if you know please tell me how
, what the ending mission is, how to unlock the "true ending" and whether or not there's a secret ending for collector's edition owners.

It's a frustrating mess especially for a narrative heavy series.

Paz is in the medbay on the second floor, look for a blue openable door

Was worried somewhat when some were saying this game wasn't Metal Gear enough. IMO this is the purest the series has ever been. You're not getting tons of cutscenes every few minutes, but when did that happen before Solid? I still prefer the balance of story and gameplay despite it usually leaning toward story but I see MGSV as a regression back to the very first games in the series, you're just this badass dude infiltrating shit and massive bases and complexes with so many options at your disposal.

I still think the story is there as there have been some awesome cutscenes here and there and the tapes provide those endless dialogue segments but in terms of stealth, atmosphere, and just gameplay in general, this is the peak of the series so far if you ask me.

...not that anyone is :p

ramyeon

Mission 20 Easter Egg spoiler.

Radio in one of the tents playing the news report about the killings from PT. So good haha.

Oh my god this is so stupid. The game logic on this mission is so broken. (Mission 17)

So I'm leading these kids and I realize because I blew up the satellite I can call in a chopper literally right by where you get them. Like a few feet. But I don't know how the hell to get the kids to follow me up there

ugh

Same thing happened to me. I called the chopper in, it literally is at the door they come out of, put in the one guy who couldn't walk, and then had to follow the rest down a river. Very dumb. Just for the same chopper to pick us up right down the river. I hated it.

Jintor

Boy am I glad that the fast-forward feature skips a line at a time.

It's so useful for the Code Talker tapes. Can finish a 4 minute tape in less then 30ish seconds.

It does make when he's pontificating about hamburgers a lot funnier since he does it in the exact some tone he talks about parthonogenesis or whatever

Ralemont

not me

ugh

can you choke out the
kids
and then toss them into the chopper.

i just really wanted to type that sentence.

Jintor

Clothes suffocate her she breathes through her skin.

you should be ashamed for your words and your deeds because you didn't spoiler tag this shit yo

Does it piss off anyone else when you are listening to a cassette tape and the radio blasts over it and you can't hear it?

Drives me fucking nuts

there's a pile of slightly dumb design decisions everywhere in this game and that is for me number fucking one

the worst is that it's fucking kaz going "You're bringing HIM?!?!?! ROGER THAT" or Ocelot talking about a fucking carrot almost every time now since I'm just doing side ops

Fmal

Banned
For the GZ save transfer, do you have to have extracted the prisoners/PoI on the latest save, or just at some point in the past? The last time I did the Finger/Eye mission I just nuked everything and didn't save or extract anyone, but the run just before it I extracted everyone.

Kama_1082

Banned
Does it piss off anyone else when you are listening to a cassette tape and the radio blasts over it and you can't hear it?

Drives me fucking nuts
What pisses me off more is when I'm listening to tapes at MB and the fucking soldiers start talking and if distracts me and overtakes the subtitles

I don't get why D-Horse and D-Walker don't count as vehicles. Like the entire open world seems to be designed for you to have them the whole time but Quiet and DD are way better

Do you eventually get like an axe or something to climb with because man they really skimped on the cracks in the cliffs to let you climb. I've run for hundreds of meters hoping to find a way up on a good vantage point over a base to no avail

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes or no question, did you like it? Ending talk has me pretty sad about the game, so I wanna know if I should be prepared.
I really, really, really liked it. I can see why people can be irked by it, but I don't think it takes anything away from the series.

There is more than one ending? I hope this isn't true. Just give me one real ending.

Edit: Can someone please post the requirements for this supposed true ending? Without spoilers of course. I just don't want to have to play through this game twice for a real ending. I'd really appreciate it.

For the real ending you must unlock mission 46. What that entails I have absolutely no idea, I just unlocked it naturally by just completing a few missions.

tumblr_nuafqsX11d1qcqepho1_1280_zpswd4jw36a.jpg

this game is amazing

Top Bottom