• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hm. Just beat Mission 31
and got the first ending. I'm guess there's more like PW afterwards

I'm not really sure how I feel about MGSV's story so far. It just feels off, I dunno maybe it'll get better in a bit. Gameplay is amazing tho. Best in the series.

JambiBum

Do I really have to do the extra difficulty missions to get past mission 42? I just got the cut scene where
Eli and the kids leave
and now the only missions I have are the repeats with the extra difficulty levels. If I'm missing something to make the story advance please let me know.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Honestly, is the story really that different from a traditional Metal Gear? You insert all of those cassette tapes into a codec screen and it's pretty much same as the other games.

Yeah it is. It doesn't really address fundamental storylines present in the series which is odd considering it is set slap dab in the middle of the timeline. By the time even MGS1 released it was consistently referencing MG1 and MG2. It's not just the form of storytelling (tapes and light cutscenes vs codec and heavy cutscenes) either but the content. Things don't really go anywhere here. Its truly a Peace Walker sequel as opposed to a traditional MGS title. It has half the colorful cast members of any other given mainline title. Some major plot points are optional. Whether its good or not is up for debate but I think it is surely different.

Sub_Level

I think the game just gives an S rank to everyone on that mission for whatever reason. I played like hot dog shit for the most part and got an S rank in my first try.

Don't stare a gift D horse in the mouth. We should be glad to have S ranked that before they possibly patch it to make it more challenging!

This is how I've been getting most of my animals.

yoR6pB.gif

LOL this needs the Bionic Man audio that goes with the punch.

Griss

I know it's been said almost ad naseam, but it's hard to overstate just how much
Chapter 2
spoils the goodwill the game builds up. Genuinely considering just not finishing the game and reading a wiki or something. I've been bashing my head against one mission I've
already fucking done
for two hours now, making absolutely no progress each time.

Wasn't supposed to be this way...

There's a lot about this game that bugs me, despite having a ton of fun "playing" the game, but I cannot get over how bad the story progression is, where we still have people, myself included, unsure of how to advance the story, what progresses story missions, how to get certain cutscenes to trigger, why certain cutscenes can show back to back and contradict each other SPOILERS FOR QUIET
like why I got the playful rain splashing scene, did one side op, and returned to base and saw Quiet getting tortured for some reason
, how to find essential characters SPOILER AFTER CHAPTER 1 CREDITS
I still don't know where Paz is or how to unlock her so if you know please tell me how
, what the ending mission is, how to unlock the "true ending" and whether or not there's a secret ending for collector's edition owners.

It's a frustrating mess especially for a narrative heavy series.

You see, I got those
Quiet scenes
in the opposite order one after the other, and it MADE NO SENSE. Literally from
overseeing her brutal torture to frolicking in the rain with her as doves fly overhead.
That's the definition of terrible storytelling.

Spazznid

So I just beat mission 29 and unlocked the suit
skull suit

To make the things for it I need to extract certain people, do I have the ability to extract them now? Or should I just keep going till I do?>

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
People keep seeing this game as an extension of Metal Gear Solid. However, what if this game's main inspiration was the original 2 metal gear games? Think about the way codecs are handled and how the missions are laid out all in one big area in which you can easily go from one to another(rescuing prisoner, taking out a captive, finding items). Sprinkle in a bit of MGS-flavored events and cutscenes and what you have is an evolution of a formula from generations ago. I feel like this game is Kojima going back to his MG1 and MG2 roots and how open yet structured those games were, with gameplay as priority.

Imm0rt4l

Re: Mission 20

I'm really upset that the water gun isn't effective against the man on fire. also, it seems like the game bugs out a little bit. If you blow up the water tank using the explosive barrels beside it, then reload from a checkpoint, the water tower is back to being intact, but the barrels are gone. Made it a real pain to incapacitate him on my second and third tries.
next tume try standing behind the tower so he blows it up

Vire

I know it's been said almost ad naseam, but it's hard to overstate just how much
Chapter 2
spoils the goodwill the game builds up. Genuinely considering just not finishing the game and reading a wiki or something. I've been bashing my head against one mission I've
already fucking done

You see, I got those
Quiet scenes
overseeing her brutal torture to frolicking in the rain with her as doves fly overhead.
So... Just do side ops instead? You don't have to do the main missions again.

hamchan

Chapter 2
already fucking done

You see, I got those
Quiet scenes

Just do side-ops.

silva1991

Hit select, return to ACC. Make sure you do it immediately after the game autosaves though - best way to manually force this (for me anyway) is to muck around in staff management for a second, or do it right after completing a side-op.

Wait so if I finish a side op and went to ACC via pause menu it counts?

Griss

So... Just do side ops instead? You don't have to do the main missions again.

I've just done 10 side ops in a row.
a) I was trying to mix it up, and
b)
The game tells you NOTHING, so I assumed I had to go back to missions. I'm not sure anyone truly knows how this works, after all. What is the criteria for progressing? Why, in a narrative game, should I even have to ask?

Sub_Level

b)
The game tells you NOTHING, so I assumed I had to go back to missions. I'm not sure anyone truly knows how this works, after all. What is the criteria for progressing? Why, in a narrative game, should I even have to ask?

Do the yellow side ops and yellow missions. When you have exhausted those, do a few side ops, returning to ACC each time.

Wait so if I finish a side op and went to ACC via pause menu it counts?

Yes, just make sure you actually see SIDE OP COMPLETED first. Don't jump the gun.

jett

D-Member
Why are the bossfights in this game so terrible. Gaaah. Quiet is such a horribad sniper fight, especially from the designing team of The End.

Vire

b)
Because it's the equivalent
of the Square Enix tradition of getting some crazy criteria to get the secret ending in FFX or something. It's meant as a bonus.

Xemnas89

So how exactly do you get quiet to do stuff? She just sits in a place of her choosing and does nothing and the only option I have is to tell her to kill stuff but there's nothing around her to kill so she does nothing. I'm guessing I must have missed the point when they explained how to use her.

Timeaisis

Is it possible to extract
The Man on Fire
in Voices Mission?
Yes, you have to
stun him via the water tanks and then shoot the psycho boy hovering above him. If you try fuktoning him without shooting the boy the boy will just destroy the Fulton

You don't actually bring him to MB tho. That would be weird haha.

Tabris

Yeah it is. It doesn't really address fundamental storylines present in the series which is odd considering it is set slap dab in the middle of the timeline. By the time even MGS1 released it was consistently referencing MG1 and MG2. It's not just the form of storytelling (tapes and light cutscenes vs codec and heavy cutscenes) either but the content. Things don't really go anywhere here. Its truly a Peace Walker sequel as opposed to a traditional MGS title. It has half the colorful cast members of any other given mainline title. Some major plot points are optional. Whether its good or not is up for debate but I think it is surely different.

MGS5 constantly referenced GZ, and PW. Ending Spoilers -
The reason hy it doesn't reference MGS3 should make sense. Also it directly connects into MG1 and MG2 and explains how you had 2 different Big Boss fights.

So there's the first one out.

It also followed the theme structure of past Metal Gears. MGS3 being Spy Era, PW being Nuclear Deterrence, MGS5 being Revenge, etc.

Also are the cutscenes actually that light? Think how much codecs were involved in the cutscenes in other MGS games. Take those out and how much do you have? Sure MGS4 was the number 1 in amount of cutscenes, but compare it to MGS1 or MGS2. So imagine taking all those cassette tapes and inserting those into cutscenes via something like codecs. Wouldn't it just have as much "cutscene length" then?

Colourful cast? It has the following (spoilers from ending):

Skull Face, Eli, Child Soldiers, Venom Snake, Big Boss / Naked Snake, Quiet, Huey, The Boss, Code Talker, Volgin, Psycho Mantis, Miller, and Ocelot.

That's a decent amount of characters. Infact, if any game was light on characters, it was MGS3 with Ocelot, Snake, The Boss, Volgin, COBRA Squad, That Russian Scientist, Zero, Signit, Paramedic, and EVA.

Only thing I would agree on is the lack of colourful villains, especially with the supposed to be Mission 51 being cut from the game.

Sub_Level

Why are the bossfights in this game so terrible. Gaaah. Quiet is such a horribad sniper fight, especially from the designing team of The End.

It has one thing in common with The End: You can cheese it. Both the normal Quiet and the Extreme version.

Squishy3

So how exactly do you get quiet to do stuff? She just sits in a place of her choosing and does nothing and the only option I have is to tell her to kill stuff but there's nothing around her to kill so she does nothing. I'm guessing I must have missed the point when they explained how to use her.
Open the minimap, use the d-pad to scroll through the options and you'll find Quiet (Scout) and Quiet (Attack), which are pretty self-explanatory. You choose an outpost and she'll do whichever one you selected.

silva1991

Do the yellow side ops and yellow missions. When you have exhausted those, do a few side ops, returning to ACC each time.

Yes, just make sure you actually see SIDE OP COMPLETED first. Don't jump the gun.

If only I knew before. I hope I'll remember that when I get my PS4 back.

For me, it's not that they are bad.
there just not many of them. only 3
bosses in my 60hr playthrough.

Tabris

Imagine a game where Mission 51 existed and cassette tapes were included in cutscenes.

1 is Konami's fault, 2 is Kojima's fault.

I think that would remove the story complaints.

Spazznid

Answered my own question.

Spoilers for unlockables after mission 29

The skull suit is sick and especially on my A++ Female Soldiers

jett

D-Member
It has one thing in common with The End: You can cheese it. Both the normal Quiet and the Extreme version.

Yeah I just learned how, but I wish we could have a real sniper fight here. Not an enemy that OHK you and always knows where you are, making it impossible to sneak up on her. What kind of stealth game is this? Goddamnit I'm dreading
extreme Mission 29

Ralemont

not me
Imagine a game where Mission 51 existed and cassette tapes were included in cutscenes.

There's really no way to make tapes into cutscenes without further bloating an already massive budget.

Yeah I just learned how, but I wish we could have a real sniper fight here. Not an enemy that OHK you and always knows where you are, making it impossible to sneak up on her. What kind of stealth game is this? Goddamnit I'm dreading
extreme Mission 29

You can sneak up on Quiet.

Sifl

Ok I'm either really stupid, or really tired. Question about mission 28:

Where the hell is the old man in the mansion. I feel like I've ran through every level of this place and I can't find him.

Also, if I quit in the middle of the mission, where will it start me up again? I feel like I need a break.

Vire

If all the cassette tapes were included as cutscenes... That would be awful. Hearing (late game spoilers):
Code Talker ramble on for minutes about the minutia and pseudo intellectual science behind nanomachines... I mean parasites was fucking painful as it was. At least I was shooting guys out in a side ops mission though and not sitting idle watching some tripe cutscene

Broank

Ah so listening to the tapes the "weapon to surpass Metal Gear" is
The Clones/Twin Snakes
? Makes sense. lol

Finally got a chance to do a good chunk of missions today. Man this game is so fucking good. Just finished the White Mamba mission.

Geg

Wow, using Quiet is kind of like easy mode in some missions. In mission 24 just now she almost single-handedly cleared the whole main mission area of enemies.

Vire

extreme Mission 29
It's definitely not impossible to sneak up on her at all...
supply drop box is the way to go though

Griss

Because it's the equivalent
of the Square Enix tradition of getting some crazy criteria to get the secret ending in FFX or something. It's meant as a bonus.

If (lategame spoilers)
the first ending
is supposed to
bookend an acceptable story, then just wow. There was nothing to it, so little meat on that bone. Skullface, the bad guy, barely had a role until he showed up to die. There has to be a lot more to come, imo. Shit, I saw it in the Chapter 2 preview. Plenty of scenes left. This isn't extra stuff, it's integral as far as I can tell.
And I'll find a way to power through and see it.

Tabris

If all the cassette tapes were included as cutscenes... That would be awful. Hearing (late game spoilers):
Code Talker ramble on for minutes about the minutia and pseudo intellectual science behind nanomachines... I mean parasites was fucking painful as it was. At least I was shooting guys out in a side ops mission though and not sitting idle watching some tripe cutscene

How is that different from the other Metal Gear games?

There's really no way to make tapes into cutscenes without further bloating an already massive budget.

They could have had static pictures like Peace Walker. That wouldn't have done anything to the budget.

Vire

Ok I'm either really stupid, or really tired. Question about mission 28:

Where the hell is the old man in the mansion. I feel like I've ran through every level of this place and I can't find him.

Also, if I quit in the middle of the mission, where will it start me up again? I feel like I need a break.
Interogate people... They will tell you his exact location.

So I have a question about recruiting Quiet (mission spoilers):
I encountered her enroute to Emmerich but didn't really engage in the fight and just got out of there as quickly as possible since I didn't have the right gear to properly battle her. Do I just never get her now or can I just go back to that area and try again?

Top Bottom