• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

So my base was invaded by a jerk and I want him to die a horrible death. Do we have a PC clan or something? I noticed the option for indirect retaliations and I need everyone ever to punch him with their golden robo-arm and also kick his puppy a couple times.

Reszo

So I have a question about recruiting Quiet (mission spoilers):
I encountered her enroute to Emmerich but didn't really engage in the fight and just got out of there as quickly as possible since I didn't have the right gear to properly battle her. Do I just never get her now or can I just go back to that area and try again?

You can do the mission again, just go into the mission list menu and it is number 11. All I did was out snipe her lol

Ah so listening to the tapes the "weapon to surpass Metal Gear" is
The Clones/Twin Snakes
? Makes sense. lol

Finally got a chance to do a good chunk of missions today. Man this game is so fucking good. Just finished the White Mamba mission.

I was sure it was going to be
information control, because the Patriots + 1984 stuff

Post 43 spoilers please advise
So just did the infection cleanup and no new missions have appeared. Ive been told i must remove the emblem to let quiet leave at this point if I wish to complete the game. Is this true or will 45 appear if i just do more side ops?

So I have a question about recruiting Quiet (mission spoilers):
I encountered her enroute to Emmerich but didn't really engage in the fight and just got out of there as quickly as possible since I didn't have the right gear to properly battle her. Do I just never get her now or can I just go back to that area and try again?

you didn't have the proper equipment? you know you can request a supply drop right.

Tabris

Post 43 spoilers please advise
So just did the infection cleanup and no new missions have appeared. Ive been told i must remove the emblem to let quiet leave at this point if I wish to complete the game. Is this true or will 45 appear if i just do more side ops?

You can just do side ops or re-do old missions (to try and S rank or get objectives you didn't) if you want. Just do anything and it'll progress the story. First you'll get some tapes (listen to them, very important) then you'll get a Mother Base cutscene then you'll unlock the next story mission.

The other thing you were talking about re: emblem can be done at any time, it's independent of the story missions.

Aselith

I didn't have anything developed that would have been particularly helpful (no long range tranq stuff yet) and didn't want to waste my time trying to cheese it.

You don't need to tranq her to get her. You can just shoot her until the end and you still get the same choice.

Vire

Just read this on reddit...

"I found a cassette tape of a man taking a shit. After developing a loud speaker for your iDroid you can play this tape while hiding in a portapotty/toilet and enemies won't check inside."

This game.

You can sneak up on Quiet.
how though? i tried but she always seemed to see me. it was night time, so there was supposed to be low visibility, and i was crawling but she always spotted me.

"I found a cassette tape of a man taking a shit. After developing a loud speaker for your iDroid you can play this tape while hiding in a portapotty/toilet and enemies won't check inside."

This game.

LOL, that is great. too bad that reddit user didn't know it was Johnny Sasaki.

Ralemont

not me

This game.

yeah all the tapes found on the field category have some practical use.

how though? i tried but she always seemed to see me. it was night time, so there was supposed to be low visibility, and i was crawling but she always spotted me.

Not sure, I just cheesed it, haha. But there was a dude a few pages ago who said he did and just sucker punched her to (almost) death.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
A question about Quiet. I saw the cut scene in which
Quiet tries to get on the helicopter with me and Boss say's he prefers to work alone.
So how do I get her to be my buddy and do missions ? Did I screw something up ?

You can just do side ops or re-do old missions if you want. Just do anything and it'll progress the story. First you'll get some tapes (listen to them, very important) then you'll get a Mother Base cutscene then you'll unlock the next story mission.

The other thing you were talking about re: emblem can be done at any time, it's independent of the story missions.

Whoa whoa
So i can get the true ending before i ever even let her go? Ive been told that 45 ONLY unlocks after letting her leave and then doing side op 150.

DrSlek

This game.

OH! The loudspeaker! That's why it didn't work for me!

I tried playing "Enemy Eliminated" in Russian while being hunted in a sandstorm mere metres away from 3 searching enemies. It didn't work and I had to do a combo takedown.

RDreamer

A question about Quiet. I saw the cut scene in which
Quiet tries to get on the helicopter with me and Boss say's he prefers to work alone.
So how do I get her to be my buddy and do missions ? Did I screw something up ?

Nah, you just have to wait a long while. I think around mission 13. For me anyway. Someone else said they were past 15 and didn't yet, so I don't know if side ops count or journeys back to mother base are what counts.

Tabris

I just finished all SIDE OPs. By the end I was cheating them hard.

Prisoner extracts? Camo, run in, wormhole extract, pause menu > return to acc.
Wandering enemy? Run in and grenade or rocket launcher everything, pause menu > return to acc.

Mengetsu

Asking again for fast moving thread.

So the credits just rolled for me.
I know there's more story but most of the missions seem to be hard versions of the ones I played already? Is it worth S Ranking them all and doing all the objectives? Do i get something good for it or should I just continue till I really finish the story?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The following post has major spoilers so don't look.

The following post has major spoilers so don't look.

MGS5 constantly referenced GZ, and PW. Ending Spoilers -
The reason hy it doesn't reference MGS3 should make sense. Also it directly connects into MG1 and MG2 and explains how you had 2 different Big Boss fights.

It doesn't address Big Boss' actions in between GZ and MG1. It doesn't show Naomi or Grey Fox. No Sniper Wolf. Not a single story mention of Solidus. Zero is relegated to tapes. Paramedic and Sigint are talked about in only a light capacity. Details on Big Boss and Miller joining FOXHOUND remain vague and open to fan speculation.
It did address the Peace Walker cast, Ocelot's hypnosis, the COBRA unit's powers, Huey and Strangelove, Liquid's hate for his father, and Miller's falling out with BB.
As for Big Boss, it actually muddled that up more than enlightened anything. Now questions are raised on the level of collusion between Venom and Big Boss.

It also followed the theme structure of past Metal Gears. MGS3 being Spy Era, PW being Nuclear Deterrence, MGS5 being Revenge, etc.

The theme of Revenge is well executed, although its not so much by the main character as it is by side characters such as Miller, Skull Face, and Eli. This goes against a fundamental aspect about Big Boss' portrayal as a demon which wasn't just promotional trailer material but mentioned in the game. It drops the ball completely when it comes to Race, however. You cannot say a theme of your game is Race when you mention ethnic cleansing in a few tapes. It is not integrated well into the game like the other titles' themes. Code Talker and Skull Face's lamentations over cultural appropriation don't cut it either. You're also dealing with grandiose legends (Big Boss) and language itself as a form of race. Game is all over the place. Instead of giving a message it seems more like a broadcast of various ideas.

Also are the cutscenes actually that light? Think how much codecs were involved in the cutscenes in other MGS games. Take those out and how much do you have? Sure MGS4 was the number 1 in amount of cutscenes, but compare it to MGS1 or MGS2. So imagine taking all those cassette tapes and inserting those into cutscenes via something like codecs. Wouldn't it just have as much "cutscene length" then?

I don't know the reliability of the source, but I saw a number for MGSV cutscenes that was 4 hours. With the most important tapes you're looking at 5 hours. Snake Eater length. So you are correct about that. But even with 15 hours of cutscenes, its more that the plot here is just not that important in the grand scheme of the series. Its incredibly isolated.

Colourful cast? It has the following (spoilers from ending):

Skull Face, Eli, Child Soldiers, Venom Snake, Big Boss / Naked Snake, Quiet, Huey, The Boss, Code Talker, Volgin, Psycho Mantis, Miller, and Ocelot.

That's a decent amount of characters. Infact, if any game was light on characters, it was MGS3 with Ocelot, Snake, The Boss, Volgin, COBRA Squad, Zero, Signit, Paramedic, and EVA.

I'll give you that one.

Imagine a game where Mission 51 existed and cassette tapes were included in cutscenes.

1 is Konami's fault, 2 is Kojima's fault.

I think that would remove the story complaints.

It would be a start. The hamburger tapes alone are quintessential MGS storytelling. Would be good for pacing after a long mission.

Tabris

I know there's more story but most of the missions seem to be hard versions of the ones I played already? Is it worth S Ranking them all and doing all the objectives? Do i get something good for it or should I just continue till I really finish the story?

Don't need to do any of the hard missions except for the trophies / fun of it. Story isn't tied to them, if you need to progress story, you can do Side OPs or old missions instead.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Quiet seems to just sit around the mission start and never move. Am I missing something? All her abilities are greyed out.

Jintor

I just finished all SIDE OPs. By the end I was cheating them hard.

Prisoner extracts? Camo, run in, wormhole extract, pause menu > return to acc.
Wandering enemy? Run in and grenade or rocket launcher everything, pause menu > return to acc.

I just send Quiet to take care of every enemy while I go do the mission obj > return to ACC

Furyous

Is there an achievement for making money? I made 1 million off selling resources, not vehicles, not mortars, not tanks, but RESOURCES.

Yeah, I pretty much said fuck the story and went with grinding development goals so I can get everything.

How long does processing materials work? I'm wondering I should just leave the game on then come back later.

You do not need to do any of the extra difficulty missions to get the true ending. You get some cosmetic skins for doing all of the difficult variants. That's it. Not worth it.

Kamina777

Banned
Yeah I just learned how, but I wish we could have a real sniper fight here. Not an enemy that OHK you and always knows where you are, making it impossible to sneak up on her. What kind of stealth game is this? Goddamnit I'm dreading
extreme Mission 29
What suit are you wearing? Please don't tell me you're still in the v1. sneaking suit thinking you're going to withstand more than 1 headshot from ****. Bullet tech in that day compared to what the end was working with would have made THE END die of an orgasm.

Tabris

I just send Quiet to take care of every enemy while I go do the mission obj > return to ACC

Did you kill them? Because her tranq sniper rifle doesn't work later on due to all the helmets. I don't know if her lethal sniper rifle can penetrate heavy infantry either.

Kindekuma

Banned

This game.

Holy shit! That is amazing!

ntinosaur

Just finished the game
all three endings (are there more ?)
Gameplay wise it's really enjoyable ! Story wise..... I liked it but it left me disappointed to an extend...
It also has the same problem for me that MGS4 and PW did
the extreme lengths to which Kojima tries to explain all the ridiculous supernatural stuff of the story. They were always there, but mostly (not completely mind you) served as some sort of seasoning. Trying to make parasites believable through almost an hour of Code Talker audio cassettes is a lost cause.

As for the ending
i actually kinda liked it. It fits with MGS3 theme. Snake was certainly a highly skilled soldier, but him becoming a legend was through an orchestrated mission (still he IS a badass) and ultimately served as patriotic propaganda. The fact that Big Boss actually went the Zero way and (in a way) created his clone, was a grave mistake. However, in all honesty i'd really love to see the real Big Boss become a lesser man because of his hunger for revenge but.. that will do as well....

Sub_Level

Yeah I just learned how, but I wish we could have a real sniper fight here. Not an enemy that OHK you and always knows where you are, making it impossible to sneak up on her. What kind of stealth game is this? Goddamnit I'm dreading
extreme Mission 29

You shouldn't dread that. I beat that extreme version on my first try. Just shoot at the bad guys with a rocket launcher from the roof and call in supply drops when appropriate. Use an assault rifle when you want to avoid splash rocket launcher damage hitting a certain friendly someone.

You should dread the Total Stealth missions if you're not comfortable with Smoke Grenades and Decoys.

Soulflarz

Banned
2/3rds of side ops down. So uh
If I do every mission, what's left for 100%? Do I need everything developed/casettes? Maxed encyclopedia?

Nah there's never free roaming tanks or helicopters. In later SIDE OPs, they seem to always have a gunner helicopter with them.

Hmm, That's a real shame. I can't help but think that had the enemy continued to up the defenses and adapt to you in the form of also increasing patrols there could be an endlessly fun and challenging free roam mode here.

Sub_Level

This game.

Superb detail.

Top Bottom