• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
While i love D-Dog i find heavy soldiers/helmets to be a joke.

They aren't a joke if you're using Quiet and the Tranq sniper. Helmet enemies take TWO shots, which gives them a chance to call in an alert, even if she's aiming at their front.

Squishy3

Oh my god. I just witnessed the biggest piece of shit guard in this game.
Good thing I got footage!

Seriously, what an asshole D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kingl382p2w
I had a transport truck driver drive his truck into my 4x4, he calls CP telling them his path is blocked and he wants to know what he should do, and they tell him "idk figure it out."

His solution was to blow up my 4x4. You could've just driven it out of the way. Convenient he didn't see the Diamond Dogs logo on the side. Transport truck drivers are assholes.

Mupod

Oh my god. Why did I read this... Now I'm gonna be forced to do it all :( hah.

I did it in Ground Zeroes but this is a way bigger time investment. Eh we'll see, cool little bonus though.

I don't think all S ranks would be that bad, especially with upgraded gear/Quiet. I've gotten tons of them already just playing the way I normally do. It's nice that you don't get heavily docked for repeated checkpoint restarts.

Now, all tasks complete in every mission? Ain't nobody got time for that. I try to go back and do the ones that sound like fun, though.

lol, the total stealth missions just mean you can't get caught, so Quiet, bombardments, and support helicopters are all fair game. I gave up on one of these 38, I think, and I just sat back and watched as they killed everyone, ran up and extracted the soldier.

cheap, but it worked.

Vire

With much faster sprinting speed and the ability to jump farther. No sword.

I am guessing some of y'all did not play Ground Zeroes. It is just a copy-pasted bonus :p
Yeah but in this game it's way better cause
d horse is now irrelevant since Raidens base run speed is faster hah

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
With much faster sprinting speed and the ability to jump farther. No sword.

I am guessing some of y'all did not play Ground Zeroes. It is just a copy-pasted bonus :p

As I feared, by how broken he was for GZ, I knew I would have to go above and beyond to unlock him. Oh well, at least you can get the solid snake suit early.

Tabris

Question about FOBs. What happens if I don't log in for 2 weeks? Will my entire base be ransacked? Or does it lock it to only one attack until you're logged in again?

Future

Help? I'm on the blood runs deep mission

Died like a thousand times. I don't know what to do. I'm trying to get the kids out, and it feels like it's scripted that the guards will get an alert the kids are missing. Then I get snipers, enemies and a gun ship all trying to kill me at the same time. I do have a missile launcher, but it doesn't help since I can't lock on the the gun ship. Feels like there are no options. Enemies don't get the alert until I move up near the enemies to get ambushed

Up until this point I have been cruising along. But now I don't know what the fuck. Kinda don't want to start again since it took forever to get to this point

KingBroly

Banned
So
I stumbled onto Mission 11 and the only Sniper I have is a damage one. I don't want to kill her. Is it okay to use this one or do I need to get in close?

KarmaCow

So
I stumbled onto Mission 11 and the only Sniper I have is a damage one. I don't want to kill her. Is it okay to use this one or do I need to get in close?

You can still recruit Quiet even if you use a lethal weapon. Not using one is just a side objective thing.

malfcn

When I was roaming I picked up a mission and it lead to a Beacon first. On a replay it just has me hop out of the chopper. Eh?

KarmaCow

When I was roaming I picked up a mission and it lead to a Beacon first. On a replay it just has me hop out of the chopper. Eh?

If you start a mission in free roam, it will spawn a beacon but otherwise you drop in from a helicopter, except for some specific missions.

Loam

Question about FOBs. What happens if I don't log in for 2 weeks? Will my entire base be ransacked? Or does it lock it to only one attack until you're logged in again?

I could have sworn one of the tips in game said something along the lines of once your FOB has been successfully infiltrated by the enemy it becomes protected for several days provided you yourself don't try an infiltration.

Geg

Okay, I reached the part (post Mission 25) where I need to start
quarantining staff members to prevent the spread of the weird chest disease. I think I've figured out how to identify staff members who have it before they start to show symptoms, but if I'm right that's pretty stupid and impossible. Is it the stupid and impossible thing I'm thinking of?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
QUIET SPOILER QUESTION

How do I go about triggering the Quiet interrogation scene? Really want her XOF Uniform.

Any help?

Jarmel

Banned
I just did Mission 40 in the dirtiest way possible. You want me to redo that sniper battle with Quiet except she has instant aimbot and no reload? Yea no. Just dropped sleeping gas on her position and insta-win. haha

Vire

Okay, I reached the part (post Mission 25) where I need to start
quarantining staff members to prevent the spread of the weird chest disease. I think I've figured out how to identify staff members who have it before they start to show symptoms, but if I'm right that's pretty stupid and impossible. Is it the stupid and impossible thing I'm thinking of?
It's pretty stupid but it's definitely not impossible. Re-listen to cassette tape that you just unlocked that goes along with it. It's pretty heavy handed in the clues.

If you are stumped:
Look at the common language of the symptomatic people

TheSeks

If you're invaded, you get locked down for SIX hours... UNLESS you invade/retaliate in which case the lock down is removed.

Severance

The tapes are great for the most part except for a certain character you meet during mission 28. He drones on and on about the same shit over and over the more tapes you unlock ugh. I mean it's interesting for a while, but its too much. I did mission 35 and unlocked what, a half hour worth of tapes? Leave a little to the imagination, the
parasite
angle to the story gets a bit ridiculous the more he talks about it. The game needs more Skull Face tapes instead. Missed opportunity.

All S ranks?

Raiden
If for real,
aP9m9ya.gif

TheSeks

That's actually the true ending. Kojima comes to your house after you do all the optional mission objectives and tells you that you are a literal crazy person.

Wonder if anyone has done it yet.

I'm probably going to do it once I'm done with all the side ops (I'm nearly there), it's simple once you complete the mission the first time and can see the optional stuff so it's just a matter of doing them, no matter the rank. So you can just take your time, complete all of them (within reason) and be done with it.

What an amazing cop out.

Boss fights used to be something more than firing more bullets. Kojima truly has revolutionized again.
I didn't fire a single bullet.
i ran for my life.

I still consider the skulls boss Encounters. It's pretty nit picky though. They only appear in missions, usually at the end and they definitely have the hallmarks of a metal gear boss. I like that they tried to make the boss encounters more subtle in this game. I certainly enjoyed them more than mgs4's.

fritzo

Side Ops question: Why are certain side ops still available to play after they've been done. The Op is highlighted and checked off, but playable? Whats with those missions?

Geg

It's pretty stupid but it's definitely not impossible. Re-listen to cassette tape that you just unlocked that goes along with it. It's pretty heavy handed in the clues.

If you are stumped:
Look at the common language of the symptomatic people

Ah, my guess was
people who spoke more than four languages

I'm glad it wasn't that I'd be quarantining like all of mother base including Ocelot lol

Soulflarz

Banned
Side Ops question: Why are certain side ops still available to play after they've been done. The Op is highlighted and checked off, but playable? Whats with those missions?

GMP farming and so that the area seems dynamic still. If you have a checkmark just ignore it :V

Soulflarz

Banned
Good lord its only six hours? Building a nuke is starting to sound like a good idea.

I know this is probably a weird question, but say I have a nuke, and for some reason you decide to invade me...can I actually nuke you?

edit: How did I double post in the OT. How. Guys post more ;-;

shiba5

Help? I'm on the blood runs deep mission

Died like a thousand times. I don't know what to do. I'm trying to get the kids out, and it feels like it's scripted that the guards will get an alert the kids are missing. Then I get snipers, enemies and a gun ship all trying to kill me at the same time. I do have a missile launcher, but it doesn't help since I can't lock on the the gun ship. Feels like there are no options. Enemies don't get the alert until I move up near the enemies to get ambushed

Up until this point I have been cruising along. But now I don't know what the fuck. Kinda don't want to start again since it took forever to get to this point

Stop at the entrance to the cave and call in a vehicle. Tranq all the kids and put them in the vehicle. Fulton vehicle. (I had to do it twice because I called in a Jeep and there are 5 kids.)

LeonSPBR

I know this is probably a weird question, but say I have a nuke, and for some reason you decide to invade me...can I actually nuke you?

edit: How did I double post in the OT. How. Guys post more ;-;

No, nuke exist as far as I know only for people not be able to retaliate against you

Simo

Just started playing and finished the opening. Holy shit. One of the best and craziest openings I've experienced to date.

Just have a quick and minor question that I'll spoiler tag in case because I haven't been paying attention to much coverage or news of the game but
the whole Avatar selection thing...is that actually something meant for our MGO character or was it just a red herring for the story? I'm hoping it's for the former because the options and customization were great!

Top Bottom