• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Ishida

Banned
I feel like the raging and tears of MGS4 fans hating the story in this game is making me love it even more.

Don't worry. Even people who absolutely hated MGS4 think the plot in this game is bollocks.

It is impossible for this to have a worse ending than MGS4.

anigif_enhanced-9438-1418933322-2.gif

Ishida

Banned
I'm not seeing any "I'm a MGS4 fan and I HATE THIS STORY BWAAH" posts around

People who are fans of the series in general are finding the ending to this game to be particularly bad and completely unncessary, not only "MGS4 fans", to be honest.

Someone said just at the end of the previous thread that you can fast travel using an orange platform + box or something? Anyone got any more info on this?

Mission 46 spoilers, Ie super end game spoilers don't click if you aren't there.
Do I have to replay the entire prologue?

Palpable

Someone said just at the end of the previous thread that you can fast travel using an orange platform + box or something? Anyone got any more info on this?

Grab the invoices. Look at the orange platforms on Mother Base. They're also in the major enemy outposts in the game (only the big ones). You need to grab the invoices off of them to unlock the locations.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like the raging and tears of MGS4 fans hating the story in this game is making me love it even more.

I despise MGS4 with the passion of a million white hot suns but also am down on the plot in here. Without touching actual story beats, there's sooooo much about the actual delivery and presentation that just falls flat. Opening spoiler credits in every mission, (not really spoilers here but people can be touchy)
random 'to be continued' popups in the middle of cutscenes that teleports you back to the helicopter killing any iota of buildup or tension, characters like ocelot barely having screen presence and mostly serving as a walking encyclopedia, mute snake...bleh.

aravuus

People who are fans of the series in general are finding the ending to this game to be particularly bad and completely unncessary, not only "MGS4 fans", to be honest.

Oh sure

Just trying to point out that Vire's post was really fucking weird

Yeah, at most out post there's a orange shipping platform. You need to grab an invoice from the pole at it, then you get into the cardboard box and can fast travel. It's a really obtuse way of adding fast travel.

The easiest way for me to find it was going to Mother Base, changing its colour and looking for an orange platform beside the helipad once you have multiple areas. Once I knew what I was looking for in the Afghanistan outposts I could find them easily. They're usually at the main entrance beside a road.

Yeah, at most out post there's a orange shipping platform. You need to grab an invoice from the pole at it, then you get into the cardboard box and can fast travel. It's a really obtuse way of adding fast travel.

The easiest way for me to find it was going to Mother Base, changing its colour and looking for an orange platform beside the helipad once you have multiple areas. Once I knew what I was looking for in the Afghanistan outposts I could find them easily. They're usually at the main entrance beside a road.

Grab the invoices. Look at the orange platforms on Mother Base. They're also in the major enemy outposts in the game (only the big ones). You need to grab the invoices off of them to unlock the locations.

Thanks guys.

Grisby

Quiet
is now rocking beside me. Got the mineral container upgrade too.

This game. So much fun to just play. I feel like everything has a real good weight to it, from the vehicles to snakes awesome man dive.

Holy shit. So I finally got to the point where I can built a FOB and was thought it was easily ignorable until I found out they are the only way to further expand your base and increase the staff capacity.

#FucKonami seriously, I'm pretty pissed off right now.

Palpable

I didn't like the ending. I hate the twist. It sours the whole experience for me. I don't like that it does that. I feel let down after all these years of waiting/anticipating the finale.

ITT MGS fans realize that the Metal Gear storyline has never been good and has always been a kitschey mess.
And what is good? The series is popular and the story is still the most discussed and anticipated point with every new entry. Its weird and does whatever it wants but it is memorable and entertaining to many. Why is that not "good"? How much better can something be but memorable.

Anyway I haven't finished this yet. Really loving it though. Glad to see that the last Kojima MGS has so much content and the best gameplay of the series. Fantastic area design too.

Ishida

Banned
I didn't like the ending. I hate the twist. It sours the whole experience for me. I don't like that it does that. I feel let down after all these years of waiting/anticipating the finale.

That's exactly how I feel. This game is going to be hard to replay for me, knowing the twist.

Griss

I always used to love laughing at the outrageous brilliance and over the top nature of Kojima's storytelling. But I never expected to laugh at how poorly executed it was. But here we are, at mission
and the
that truck ride
scene. I'm sorry, but this method of storytelling is garbage, and I can't wait to beat the game and get into the spoiler thread and seeing how people are defending this. Dat idle animation.

MattyG

Banned
Why do we even have a spoiler thread anymore.

Apparently I've got to hurry up and finish this shit because the OT is becoming solely about the ending.

Palpable

That's exactly how I feel. This game is going to be hard to replay for me, knowing the twist.

Same. now when i go out on missions it just feels weird.

Same. Even getting to 100% for platinum is going to be rough knowing that.

Why do we even have a spoiler thread anymore.

Because everyone in the world beat the game.

ok, can I get a complete non-spoiler guide on how to unlock episode 45 and 46. As in the mission numbers needed to unlock them.

Have the bond level of Quiet up to 100% and keep grinding side ops.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit. So I finally got to the point where I can built a FOB and was thought it was easily ignorable until I found out they are the only way to further expand your base and increase the staff capacity.

I'd recommend going online and making the one you get for free for the extra space atleast.

I always used to love laughing at the outrageous brilliance and over the top nature of Kojima's storytelling. But I never expected to laugh at how poorly executed it was. But here we are, at mission
and the
that truck ride
scene. I'm sorry, but this method of storytelling is garbage, and I can't wait to beat the game and get into the spoiler thread and seeing how people are defending this. Dat idle animation.

Quite possibly the most awkward cutscene I have ever seen.

Atleast right after that we got
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Vire

and the
that truck ride
It's the same ridiculous thing as snake climbing a ladder for ten minutes with over the top music playing in the background in MGS3. Both are giggle inducingly stupid.

Create it and go offline from the pause menu. Pretty easy to ignore then.

So I'm about to jump into this; been holding off until I beat Witcher 3. I've been staying pretty oblivious and not really going into any threads for MGS V, so I apologize if this has been asked a million times, but how important is it uploading stuff from Ground Zeroes to this? I beat the main mission and I think dabbled in some side missions but didn't really do too much aside from that. From what I understand if I didn't do the side stuff, I'll just miss some Mother Base-type characters, correct?

Thanks.

Just finished it! Awesome stuff. Wasn't as light on story as I feared. I do have more questions now tough. Off to the spoiler thread!

aravuus

And what is good? The series is popular and the story is still the most discussed and anticipated point with every new entry. Its weird and does whatever it wants but it is memorable and entertaining to many. Why is that not "good"? How much better can something be but memorable.

Anyway I haven't finished this yet. Really loving it though. Glad to see that the last Kojima MGS has so much content and the best gameplay of the series. Fantastic area design too.

This is why I just call video game stories entertaining, not good or great or fantastic. Sometimes I may call them awesome, but usually the positive adjectives range from "entertaining" to "fucking entertaining as FUCK".

Because there are always idiots who want to point out that the thing you enjoy is absolutely not good and is, in fact, trash.

MGS5 gets overwhelming after a while, especially after losing 30 minutes due to checkpointing repeatedly. An early succession of bad checkpoints really weakened my resolve to continue playing for long stretches, plus the BS Mother Base research/FOB nonsense hamstrings any real feelings of progress.

It'd be a lot better if the Mother Base stuff wasn't designed from the ground up for monetisation.
Why is there an OT2?

When threads hit 20k posts they're split off into a new thread. IIRC it's something about server stability or efficiency for search or something. A mod or admin could explain it better.

how the hell do you stop those wandering soldiers ? totally confused.

Answer:
Headshot them with a tranq to knock them out immediately. It's tough because they spot you so quickly, though.

Hasney

So I'm about to jump into this; been holding off until I beat Witcher 3. I've been staying pretty oblivious and not really going into any threads for MGS V, so I apologize if this has been asked a million times, but how important is it uploading stuff from Ground Zeroes to this? I beat the main mission and I think dabbled in some side missions but didn't really do too much aside from that. From what I understand if I didn't do the side stuff, I'll just miss some Mother Base-type characters, correct?

Thanks.

Yeah, you get some staff and if you did the two Déjà missions, you also get Solid Snake and Cyborg Ninja PS1 skins later on.

Alienous

Can we stop talking about the ending? There's a spoiler thread for a reason.

Indeed.

The discussion isn't really subtle. A lot of people are completing the game or seeing the ending now. But others, including myself, completed and saw the ending a week ago. And there are people, I'm sure, who will complete it and see the ending next week.

Let's try to be respectful. You might not post outright spoilers, but anything can be enough to allow someone to connect the dots as to what the ending might be based on the other rumours and innuendo they've heard. Let's try to be cool and talk about the ending in the spoiler thread.

Top Bottom