• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Colombo

My life sucks. I got the game on launch day and it's amazing but for one reason or another I just haven't had enough time to really invest in the game. My backlog is huge, Super Mario Maker is out in a few days and I bought Forza Horizon 2 at the same time as TPP and have only seen the title screen of that game so far!

Yes I know, 1st World Problems and all that!

Really your options are cars or D-Horse.

You should get that fulton upgrade before too long. In the meantime, you should know that you can swap buddies during a mission, although it costs a bit of GMP. You can always drop in with D-Horse and then swap him for DD once you get to the primary base.

I figured that would be an option. I probably did a bad job looking though. Let me guess, Loadout? And if so, would I be transported back to an LZ?

brau

So... hear me out.

The following is a series of thoughts i've been pondering about for a while now. I tagged it as spoiler since i am discussing some of the meta commentary and potential misdirection of Kojima and the game.

I am around 30% of the game done... so have not even finished it. lol.

What if the whole theme of TPP is not only related to missing what used to be there. But also the distorted morals of people when they look up to someone? In this case not only Big Boss, but Kojima himself, and what Kojima Productions represent to the media and the masses.

One of the tapes has Kaz and BB talking about how different groups are taking his actions and words and distorting them to justify their means. He quotes "It takes a person of the same caliber to understand another great man" or something like that, i am paraphrasing. They go on and on about how they are misunderstood and the people are just plain stupid. lol

The whole idea is that people just want to hear what they want to hear. They look up to just little bits of the whole picture, and then draw their own set of goals or impressions, even opinions based on them. Taken, of course, out of context. So what if TPP has meta commentary outside of the game. So what if Kojima still has a lot to reveal on TPP?

We already know that the ending misdirects everything... so part of it has the whole missing limb feelings to it. But what about Kojima? We believe that he left... we mourn his departure.. and even when they took away the A Hideo Kojima Game we attach to that and make a big deal. Its like we feel it should still be there. So what if this was intentional? I am not trying to say that maybe he never left Konami.... but in a lot of ways, his writing and presentation of themes are so universal that they seem to apply to a lot of things outside of the game.

So what if he wants to surprise people with more content to the campaign after the fact? and what if he has more up his sleeve that he has not revealed?

Knowing Kojima i don't think i would be surprised if he did, but know i would be surprised that he fooled everyone once again.

This also ties well into the ending of the game. Which i guess has a lot of the same format. But i can't say for sure until i see how everything ties together. But as is, it looks like a big setup to a followup that could be pretty big.

TL;DR Kojima is a troll, he makes me think way too much.

Any thoughts?

The other thread is a bit slow... quoting here to see if get some thoughts going.

Just random thoughts... prbly nothing.

Post mission 34 spoilers, I guess:

So I brought back
the kids who flee from Mother Base, it was 5 of them
and now
----Eli----
want's to talk to me, but nothing has triggered ?

tuxfool

Banned
Post mission 34 spoilers, I guess:

So I brought back
the kids who flee from Mother Base, it was 5 of them
and now
----Eli----
want's to talk to me, but nothing has triggered ?

Keep doing missions until you're summoned back. To be safe also listen to the tapes.

Real Hero

I completed a mission with quiet ( who I have maxed out) and D- Horse's bond increased after the mission. Will it keep doing that? easy way to max it without using him if so

brau

DD can get into a jeep with me, D Horse cant

D Horse is taking Ls all over the place

CGrg-ftVIAEw8U6.png

Chariot

You monster.
I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me"

I completed a mission with quiet ( who I have maxed out) and D- Horse's bond increased after the mission. Will it keep doing that? easy way to max it without using him if so
Basically didn't use D-Horse since I got DD, still stuck at 40%. I don't think it moves.
Yes. if you don't finish the mission with the buddy of choice it will reduce the bond points with that buddy.
I would be offended too if I'D get swapped out for D-Horse.

psylah

Strange how I can extract birds and baby DD,
but none of the child soldiers because they wouldn't be able to withstand it

Anyways, I just put them in a jeep and then fulton the jeep. You get them all with one balloon.

Chariot

Anyways, I just put them in a jeep and then fulton the jeep. You get them all with one balloon.
Damn! This is genius!

brau

That mission was pretty awesome tho.
The tension of moving with the kids was pretty effective imo. Whole reason they didn't intend for you to fulton them.

I think I just finished the game,
finished episode 45 and 46.

I have some questions
Is there still more after playing all of the other subsistence, and extreme missions?

the game is making me create an FOB. I choose which waters I want to purchase, then the game gets stuck infinitely loading whatever the next screen is. I cant back out of the idroid or anything. What do I do?

daveo42

Banned
the game is making me create an FOB. I choose which waters I want to purchase, then the game gets stuck infinitely loading whatever the next screen is. I cant back out of the idroid or anything. What do I do?

If it's what I think it is, the game is forcing you to follow a tutorial. Are there red arrows on your screen pointing to specific parts? If so, you're stuck in a forced tutorial. If you don't want to, you can close the game out and restart in offline mode to avoid the FOB stuff. Not sure if there is a way in options to turn off all the tutorial stuff, but I'm sure there should be an option in there somewhere.

If it's what I think it is, the game is forcing you to follow a tutorial. Are there red arrows on your screen pointing to specific parts? If so, you're stuck in a forced tutorial.

yeah, thats whats happening. But its not working. I just get stuck in a transition the idroid does after I purchase waters

I'll restart offline. Thanks!

brau

yeah, thats whats happening. But its not working. I just get stuck in a transition the idroid does after I purchase waters

This happens when the servers are really busy. Have you tried to just get out of the iDroid and then go back in? whenever my game hangs i do that. OR! i just turn off the online component and then it immediately loads up.

megalowho

What are D-Walker's uses as a buddy? Because right now I'm not seeing any
For the times where stealth gets thrown out the window and you need a lot of firepower and maneuverability, D-Walker is the buddy of choice. It'll come in handy eventually.

Yesterday I got the upgrade ability
to Fulton children, haven't gone back to episodes and used it yet as I put all the kids in jeeps and fultoned them

Real Hero

I disconnected before opening the idroid and did a mission and then tried it again and it worked.

Chariot

That mission was pretty awesome tho.
The tension of moving with the kids was pretty effective imo. Whole reason they didn't intend for you to fulton them.
Then again it's possible to just carrier out the one kid, leave the others and still get an S-rank.

I would love it if you could fulton yourself. Started up the game last night only to discover i left myself deep inside an enemy base, took about 45 minutes to escape unseen.

What are D-Walker's uses as a buddy? Because right now I'm not seeing any

You can leave him outside of a base, sneak around until shit hits the fan, whistle for him, then hop in and wreck shit. He's also great for getting around the map. He's not my favorite buddy but he's cool. You have to spend some development money on him before he's of any use though.

Chariot

I would love it if you could fulton yourself. Started up the game last night only to discover i left myself deep inside an enemy base, took about 45 minutes to escape unseen.
If possible leave some container, you can fulton escape on those.

But yeah, Snake should have a similiar device like DD that allows him to fulton the fuck out when needed.

brau

Then again it's possible to just carrier out the one kid, leave the others and still get an S-rank.

The ranking system in this game is very broken. lol

This game could learn the ranking from Splintercell Blacklist. Ranking you on your style of gameplay.

This happens when the servers are really busy. Have you tried to just get out of the iDroid and then go back in? whenever my game hangs i do that. OR! i just turn off the online component and then it immediately loads up.

It wont let me press any buttons at all. Its like the game is frozen, but still moving lol

I disconnected before opening the idroid and did a mission and then tried it again and it worked.

I'll try that. Thanks!

daveo42

Banned

Does that even work? It seemed like all controls were locked out outside of exactly what you wanted to do. Back out? Nope. Hit the iDroid menu? Nope. Pause/Setting menu just brings up the help overlay. It's terribly designed and takes away any and all control from the player just to handle a simple tutorial. Even worse when you aren't expecting it and it feels like your entire game just broke.

Top Bottom