• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
k I wanna see this OP quiet talk cause she sucks for me

Deploy Quiet.

Out of the helicopter and the iDroid up/down on D-pad allows you to command her? Great:

Quiet(Scout)->Choose outpost. She'll go to that outpost you pointed to and circle around it marking enemies and prisoners she sees before setting up as a sniping position.

Quiet(Attack)->Point her toward an "angle of attack"/area to snipe from. The problem is not seeing WHERE SHE'S AIMING AT on the iDroid but most of the time it'll make sense (this area near the base means she'll be aiming near the base. This area near the base but out in the open? She may be aiming at the road or the base, hard to say).

Now: I dunno if it's a bond skill (I think it is):

Codec Commorose->Quiet/"COVER ME!"

*SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE*

*You're walking from deployment to the far away base*

*You arrive and everyone is dead or tranq'd for fultoning*

You: "Damn, Quiet. At least give them a chance."

brau

Someone has the OST? if you do could you share it with me? i have been looking for it, but only see import.

Sifl

explain

I only have the stuff she comes with

buddy support > quiet recon > she does nothing

there are no enemies marked on the outpost I select even tho she says she's done
Once you get her bond up, you can give her an order to shoot anyone she see's. She can scout the whole area, then put her on "Cover me" and she kills everyone.

Salsa

She only sees dudes who are in her line of sight as she jumps around her various sniping points. She doesn't have magic sniffing to pick out every enemy like D Dog does.

Even still though, when I have her scout an outpost she usually does a great job. Her real overpoweredness though only comes once you get her a silenced sniper/tranq rifle then she can take out full outposts for you before anyone even notices what's going on.

guessing I dont get those upgrades if I dont use her at all

cause geez d-dog shits on her atm

i'll take spotting all enemies over her easily

TheSeks

FOB Question

So I was able to back out of the prompt to buy waters to build my first FOB, if I don't build one, I can't be invaded, correct?

Correct. But if you login to Konami's servers (which is AUTOMATIC AT BOOTTIME) you'll be FORCED to do it.

And AFAIK the tutorial will still pop while offline so you're fucked either way.

"Totally optional" my fucking ass, Konami.

daveo42

Banned
Seems like the game just hanged. You playing this on console? PC? Whenever my iDroid hangs i just leave and then disconnect. Offline mode is the way to go. I still have not unlocked FOB, so i just log into the server to get the daily reward. First sign of delay in menus, i disconnect and then game runs flawlessly.

PS4. Never hung up, just forced me to do exactly what it wanted me to do before giving me full control back. I was able to cheese my way out of it both times, but the FOB stuff made me go to the point of almost starting a mock battle before backing out.

Correct. But if you login to Konami's servers (which is AUTOMATIC AT BOOTTIME) you'll be FORCED to do it.

And AFAIK the tutorial will still pop while offline so you're fucked either way.

Can't you stop after the purchase of territorial waters and just not build anything? If not, I suppose you could just build one command platform it comes with and then never go back online. Still a load of BS.

TheSeks

guessing I dont get those upgrades if I dont use her at all

You do, but you need to raise her bond level. Which isn't as hard as you make it out to be. The only problem is her doing her own thing if you don't command her which once you learn how to do is muuuuuch better than Diamond Dog. Diamond Dog's ability is "wallhax." Quiet's is "Rambo: First Blood."

Finalow

I have her bond maxed and she still sucks...I dont get it either
do you actually use her? I don't see how she sucks when the bond is maxed.

she can put to sleep literally everyone without making a sound at max level bond. or she could kill everyone.

she is OP. just like wormhole fultons.

Damn, so next time I boot up the game I will be forced into making one? That sucks if so.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Deploy Quiet.

Out of the helicopter and the iDroid up/down on D-pad allows you to command her? Great:

Quiet(Scout)->Choose outpost. She'll go to that outpost you pointed to and circle around it marking enemies and prisoners she sees before setting up as a sniping position.

Quiet(Attack)->Point her toward an "angle of attack"/area to snipe from. The problem is not seeing WHERE SHE'S AIMING AT on the iDroid but most of the time it'll make sense (this area near the base means she'll be aiming near the base. This area near the base but out in the open? She may be aiming at the road or the base, hard to say).

Now: I dunno if it's a bond skill (I think it is):

Codec Commorose->Quiet/"COVER ME!"

*SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE SNIPE*

*You're walking from deployment to the far away base*

*You arrive and everyone is dead or tranq'd for fultoning*

You: "Damn, Quiet. At least give them a chance."
Yeah, this is pretty much it exactly. Quiet is OP.

Real Hero

explain

there are no enemies marked on the outpost I select even tho she says she's done

Well she finds literally everyone for me and with a silenced rifle can knock them all out too

TheSeks

Damn, so next time I boot up the game I will be forced into making one? That sucks if so.

It's random. I was still forced to make one when Konami's servers shit the bed, but it's automatic if you connect to Konami's servers which you can't stop (unless you disable your connection) on boot-time since they auto-login.

Can't you stop after the purchase of territorial waters and just not build anything? If not, I suppose you could just build one command platform it comes with and then never go back online. Still a load of BS.

No, since the tutorial won't let you back out once you are FORCED into the tutorial.

robotrock

Banned

explain

Yeah she does not do anything for me.

DukeBobby

explain

Her 'cover me' command is basically an 'S rank' button, especially if she's got the tranquillizer sniper rifle.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Properly geared up AI will #REKT it Ralph you if you don't have the Battle Dress outfit and it being level 5. This is the problem: F.O.B. is not really balanced right now for various play styles (along with hackers on PC). You NEED a grenade launcher and outright kill anyone if you don't give a fuck about Fulton them. Attackers are against a stacked deck with the defense being able to come in and AI being able to alert/tell their owner who you are.

Yeah like just moving without getting avoided is INSANELY hard, the worst are the drones just sneaking up on you like it's nothing.

Oh that's extra lame, the defending player can respawn :|

It's random. I was still forced to make one when Konami's servers shit the bed, but it's automatic if you connect to Konami's servers which you can't stop (unless you disable your connection) on boot-time since they auto-login.

No, since the tutorial won't let you back out once you are FORCED into the tutorial.

Well that's the thing, I was forced into the tutorial mission, then was able to back out of the actual purchasing of waters for 0 MB Coins. So the tutorial is over and move around the menus and do missions freely and I still haven't bought any waters.

daveo42

Banned

I know the tutorial itself is forced, but I know at some point I was able to back away from the FOB stuff and actually play the game. I think it was in between getting the security team and the initial set up of an FOB. I wish I could remember when that was, but maybe that just depended on pings to the server or like you said, random.

Well that's the thing, I was forced into the tutorial mission, then was able to back out of the actual purchasing of waters for 0 MB Coins. So the tutorial is over and move around the menus and do missions freely and I still haven't bought any waters.

You'll have to let us know if it does come back or not.

KarmaCow

why doesnt DD actually "wait here" when I tell him to?

Yea I don't understand that command either. I mean D-Dog is basically like Ellie in that enemies don't react, even if it runs directly into them but it would be useful to distract guards.

I know the tutorial itself is forced, but I know at some point I was able to back away from the FOB stuff and actually play the game. I think it was in between getting the security team and the initial set up of an FOB. I wish I could remember when that was, but maybe that just depended on pings to the server or like you said, random.

You'll have to let us know if it does come back or not.

Yeah I let you know, it was on the prompt to buy the waters with MB Coins, the game specifically said it was suspending the tutorial for that moment so I can "buy" the waters with the 0 coins, I backed out of it there and was able to play normally, I'll have to see if it comes back, I really don't want it to for the time being that's for sure.

Ralemont

not me
why doesnt DD actually "wait here" when I tell him to?

I think it's more of a Cancel Command option. Like, I told him to kill a guard but then a vehicle came around the corner, so I told him to Wait and he came back to me without killing the guard. Useful for those hugemistake.gif moments.

Cutreman

Neo Member
It's been said a million times but
do side ops. you don't have to repeat missions.

I did important side ops like retrieving the AI pod or finding the missing children but it doesn't activated any mission for me. I had to complete the repeated missions get new ones. Does the regular side ops count too?

daveo42

Banned
I think it's more of a Cancel Command option. Like, I told him to kill a guard but then a vehicle came around the corner, so I told him to Wait and he came back to me without killing the guard. Useful for those hugemistake.gif moments.

I kinda wish he would stay still during some of the mine side ops. He's a smart dog, but man I feel like he gets insanely close to setting them off while I'm trying to extract them.

TheSeks

wormhole extractor is awesome.

I don't have the R&D for it yet. But I got the
Z.O.E. hand
which is the side-op above that one (since they unlock late game) and am developing it now. Heavy side-ops are GG now that I can choke people from afar. ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

TheSeks

I kinda wish he would stay still during some of the mine side ops. He's a smart dog, but man I feel like he gets insanely close to setting them off while I'm trying to extract them.

He won't set them off. I know because I used him during those side-ops and thought he'd screw up. He just runs over them no issues.

dc89

I did important side ops like retrieving the AI pod or finding the missing children but it doesn't activated any mission for me. I had to complete the repeated missions get new ones. Does the regular side ops count too?

I think they do.

KarmaCow

DD can't set off mines AFAIK, I saw him run right over one. He's basically a non-entity unless you give him an order to attack. At best he can temporarily stop guards as they tell him to shoo. Guards wont even call it in when a random dog runs into them

Well unless putting on a different costume changes things, I haven't tried that.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
COXVwWfVEAIt34j.jpg

Does the game ever tell you that you can
play as prisoners?
If so, when? I've finished up through mission
and I feel like i haven't been given the option.

MarkusRJR

I have a question about fultoning and mission replaying. If you fulton a character on a first run and replay the mission and kill them will they not exist on Motherbase anymore (especially if they're mission targets)? Could you Fulton a character multiple times over multiple replays of a mission, or is fultoning characters on replayed missions a waste of time/GMP?

It's not fully explained and was curious since I'm going to try and replay a few earlier missions.

daveo42

Banned
He won't set them off. I know because I used him during those side-ops and thought he'd screw up. He just runs over them no issues.

DD can't set off mines AFAIK, I saw him run right over one. He's basically a non-entity unless you give him an order to attack. At best he can temporarily stop guards as they tell him to shoo. Guards wont even call it in when a random dog runs into them

Well unless putting on a different costume changes things, I haven't tried that.

Good to know with the mines. Sad they don't have that level of presence in the world though. Knew about the distraction for guards and it isn't affected by gear. D-Horse works the same way.

E the Shaggy

So I haven't been able to play the game a lot, but am getting ready to dive back in this week. I'm starting to get nervous about people saying how weak the story is.

Considering this is the last Kojima MGS game, it's making me nervous as hell that the game will ultimately disappoint.

Top Bottom