• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Major QUIET spoilers, prior to Side Ops 150 and after Mission 43:

I have a question:

So, without ANY fanfare, she's suddenly gone? That's stupid. Anyway, it says I can extract her in Side Ops 150, so can I? I'd like to finish up some of the harder missions and side ops with her before finishing the game with Missions 45 and 46. Can I do Side Ops 150, get her back, fool around, and then when I want to end it, do missions 45 and 46?

psylah

That mission was pretty awesome tho.
The tension of moving with the kids was pretty effective imo. Whole reason they didn't intend for you to fulton them.

That wasn't the mission where I had to do it,
I think it came up when I retried the first mission in Angola (With the village next to the beached boat). I didn't see any kids the first time I completed the mission, but the second time, I saw them leave one of the village house and head toward the boat.
I tranqed them and cleared the village, then found out I couldn't fulton them, and I'd have to go up the cliffside and back through the forest to get to the chopper, which you would have to do one by one. So I tried the jeep.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Man i'm really bad at FOB's i'm like out of GMP because i've done like 10 and failed them all.

What happens if your GMP hits zero? Can you no longer do missions?

Mission 12 question
I'm at the base to extract Dr. Emmerich. All the doors are locked/red. I'm assuming this is because I was spotted earlier and they went on alert. However, I have been hiding for 5 minutes now. Will they ever stop being on alert and/or unlock the doors so I can enter the damn building?? Becoming frustrating.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

I have a question:

So, without ANY fanfare, she's suddenly gone? That's stupid. Anyway, it says I can extract her in Side Ops 150, so can I? I'd like to finish up some of the harder missions and side ops with her before finishing the game with Missions 45 and 46. Can I do Side Ops 150, get her back, fool around, and then when I want to end it, do missions 45 and 46?

Doing Side-Ops 150 will automatically lead into Mission 45 and unfortunately I have bad news: that'll be the end for Quiet as your buddy. Also protip before doing this: go in heavy combat ready (like you will fight shit loads of vehicles ready).

I have a question:

You're already fucked :lol

brau

Does that even work? It seemed like all controls were locked out outside of exactly what you wanted to do. Back out? Nope. Hit the iDroid menu? Nope. Pause/Setting menu just brings up the help overlay. It's terribly designed and takes away any and all control from the player just to handle a simple tutorial. Even worse when you aren't expecting it and it feels like your entire game just broke.

It wont let me press any buttons at all. Its like the game is frozen, but still moving lol

Seems like the game just hanged. You playing this on console? PC? Whenever my iDroid hangs i just leave and then disconnect. Offline mode is the way to go. I still have not unlocked FOB, so i just log into the server to get the daily reward. First sign of delay in menus, i disconnect and then game runs flawlessly.

That wasn't the mission where I had to do it,
I think it came up when I retried the first mission in Angola (With the village next to the beached boat). I didn't see any kids the first time I completed the mission, but the second time, I saw them leave one of the village house and head toward the boat.
I tranqed them and cleared the village, then found out I couldn't fulton them, and I'd have to go up the cliffside and back through the forest to get to the chopper, which you would have to do one by one. So I tried the jeep.

oh really? in that mission they just follow you, and you can tell them to stop or keep moving.

That is supposedly how the codenames are assigned.

The codenames make a bit more sense depending on how you play. But they don't grow with you the more you play. Its just per mission. Which is a bit odd.

How do you get S rank on mission 34 ? I just can't extract all vehicles... I've tried to block the road and fulton them but it takes too much time.

Where do you find the amount of hours you've logged in to the game? I hear everybody showing off how much time they sunk in and I want in on that action too :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
When I order Quiet to take out a camp and she has a tranq. Sniper, will the whole camp be asleep and ready to be fultoned?

Yes and no. Yes, that'll be the end goal. No that may not totally happen when you get there if they have helmets. Plus they'll be alerted if they have helmets because she couldn't instant knock out.

But man, if you let that "war" go on it'll eventually reach that end goal.

XaosWolf

The catharsis of being sneaky, being spotted by some random guard barely poking his head over a crate a bajillion meters away, filling him with an entire clip and then slaughtering everyone who remains.

The "Fuck It. Fuck You." moments.

(Got an S Rank on Mission
31? The OKB Zero one
doing just this.

Seems like the game just hanged. You playing this on console? PC? Whenever my iDroid hangs i just leave and then disconnect. Offline mode is the way to go. I still have not unlocked FOB, so i just log into the server to get the daily reward. First sign of delay in menus, i disconnect and then game runs flawlessly.

xbox one, which seems to be having the most problems

TheSeks

What happens if your GMP hits zero? Can you no longer do missions?

No, you can. But you use the 0 GMP equipment (default starting equipment) to get around the GMP deficit AND staff may leave.

Better to sell resources that you aren't using if you are in a deep deficit.

Jyrii

Banned
I just had the most annoying failure in episode 12:

After carrying Huey to the first helicopter LZ, I threw him on D-horse and rode far away from the Metal Gear. Actually so far that I got a notification that I was leaving the mission area. I was in full gallop, and in like 2 seconds the game threw me away from the mission instance.

I had to start the whole damn mission again from the first base, as there was no checkpoint anymore

muteki

The catharsis of being sneaky, being spotted by some random guard barely poking his head over a crate a bajillion meters away, filling him with an entire clip and then slaughtering everyone who remains.

31? The OKB Zero one
doing just this.

Yeah there are only so many times I can restart to check point before going F it and just killing everyone.

Usually happens at Da Shaggo Kallai. Screw that base.

I need help unlocking 45 and 46. Like a clear step by step guide. I'm loving the gameplay but i hate this bullshit, totally killed the flow of the story. I don't want to google anymore so i don't get spoiled but this is what i gathered.

I didn't kill Quiet
Don't have the Butterfly emblem on
The last 2 cutscenes i remember was her getting the necklace and being fried by Ocelot
Side Ops 150 isn't unlocked but no clue how to do that. Supposedly i need to see the Huey exile cutscene but don't know how to unlock that either. I've listened to other Tapes..

I've done every yellow side op and main mission besides 45 and 150. But i saw you can do this before 45? What are the mother base requirements? I swear if i have to fully upgrade the entire base i'm going to be fucking pissed. I read FOB helps but the fucking thing couldn't sync to servers since day one. Ugh i'm so annoyed i have to write this to beat the game. [/SPOILER]

Gorillaz

Mission 12 question
I'm at the base to extract Dr. Emmerich. All the doors are locked/red. I'm assuming this is because I was spotted earlier and they went on alert. However, I have been hiding for 5 minutes now. Will they ever stop being on alert and/or unlock the doors so I can enter the damn building?? Becoming frustrating.
Just did this one last night
there should be another entrance that a guard is in front of. I used the little knock thing to get his attention and CAN stunned him. The other guard 20 feet away I distracted when I had c4 go off randomly across from the compound. With everyone dustracted and walking over to see that I just sneaked in

justjim89

Invading FOB's is so damn hard, it's like they turned up the difficulty on it. One burst of gunfire and I'm dead. I just unlocked the the ability and failed like 8 in a row. Ridiculous. Now I have rivals who are already better equipped looking to wreck my shit. Time to play in offline mode.

Do you have to put guys in the security team manually? It seems like it's not a unique skill so I just put guys from combat team in it.

Where's a good place to get fuel resources? I'm always running low and can never find enough.

Nose Master

Mission 12 was fun. Dog makes the stealth so much more fun.
Marking enemies via scent so you don't have to manually binocular every single one? Works even in sandstorms? So good.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I need help unlocking 45 and 46. Like a clear step by step guide. I'm loving the gameplay but i hate this bullshit, totally killed the flow of the story. I don't want to google anymore so i don't get spoiled but this is what i gathered.

I didn't kill Quiet
Don't have the Butterfly emblem on
The last 2 cutscenes i remember was her getting the necklace and being fried by Ocelot
Side Ops 150 isn't unlocked but no clue how to do that. Supposedly i need to see the Huey exile cutscene but don't know how to unlock that either. I've listened to other Tapes..

I've done every yellow side op and main mission besides 45 and 150. But i saw you can do this before 45? What are the mother base requirements? I swear if i have to fully upgrade the entire base i'm going to be fucking pissed. I read FOB helps but the fucking thing couldn't sync to servers since day one. Ugh i'm so annoyed i have to write this to beat the game. [/SPOILER]

Ocelot will eventually let you know when Side Ops 150/Mission 45 becomes available.

Also, it's not a problem for you to do 46 before 45.

And I can't emphasize this enough, but be heavy combat ready before heading out to do 150 as it auto triggers 45.

TheSeks

Invading FOB's is so damn hard, it's like they turned up the difficulty on it. One burst of gunfire and I'm dead. I just unlocked the the ability and failed like 8 in a row. Ridiculous. Now I have rivals who are already better equipped looking to wreck my shit. Time to play in offline mode.

Playing offline mode won't stop them from retaliating. It'll just make it EASIER. B-)

Do you have to put guys in the security team manually? It seems like it's not a unique skill so I just put guys from combat team in it.

No, AFAIK it'll do it when your other units are filled. But don't quote me on that.

Where's a good place to get fuel resources? I'm always running low and can never find enough.

The airport in Africa and Africa in general seems to have a bunch. Same with the airport in Afghanistan.

Loving my time with this game so far. Setting up distractions to make a window to rescue prisoners, riding around on a horse taking town tanks with a grenade launcher or calling down
supply drops on a boss to knock them out

Never had this much fun playing a Metal Gear before!

KarmaCow

Wow Mission 33
is way easier than I expected. I was worried that it would difficult to covertly take out the equipment but there are two wandering soldiers near the base that you can take out for weapons and then sneak around the back, shoot up the equipment with a loud AK, and then basically crouch walk outside the left of the base. The time bonus alone is enough to S-rank it.

Are there stashes of C4 or grenades anywhere to draw even less attention to yourself?

justjim89

Playing offline mode won't stop them from retaliating. It'll just make it EASIER. B-)

Wait, really? How so?

I knew I should've just ignored that whole part completely. Invasion was a pain in the ass in Dark Souls and I imagine it'll be even moreso here.

KarmaCow

Wait, really? How so?

I knew I should've just ignored that whole part completely. Invasion was a pain in the ass in Dark Souls and I imagine it'll be even moreso here.

Unless I missed something obvious, if you're online after mission
, you're pretty much forced into making a FOB. Which seems pretty bullshit with the offline invasion thing.

Ishida

Banned

31? The OKB Zero one
doing just this.

"Oh no, you don't"

Rambo1.gif

Meh, no biggie... Just enjoy it. I usually get B and C's. The AI is amazing and adapts well, wonder if there is a harder difficulty and what the heck that would be like...
Some of the late game difficulty levels not only do the standard increased enemy senses shtick, but actually make you start the mission with literally no gear (gotta scavenge for it), and fill enemy outposts with heavy soldiers who take a full magazine to drop.

TheSeks

Wait, really? How so?.

Your F.O.B. is always online. B-)

Stay off Konami's servers/disconnect your console on bootup or be FORCED into making an F.O.B. and enjoying people invading you at any time.

So, because you failed your invasions: They know who you are and can retaliate at any point they choose within the next week.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No, you can. But you use the 0 GMP equipment (default starting equipment) to get around the GMP deficit AND staff may leave.

Better to sell resources that you aren't using if you are in a deep deficit.

Yeah makes sense,

Man FOB invasions are really hard. That or I am really bad.

Ocelot will eventually let you know when Side Ops 150/Mission 45 becomes available.

Also, it's not a problem for you to do 46 before 45.

And I can't emphasize this enough, but be heavy combat ready before heading out to do 150 as it auto triggers 45.

I was equipped for stealth not knowing what I've gotten myself into, by the end of the mission I had to have had gone through 30 retries before finally finishing it.

TheSeks

Yeah makes sense,

Man FOB invasions are really hard. That or I am really bad.

Properly geared up AI will #REKT it Ralph you if you don't have the Battle Dress outfit and it being level 5. This is the problem: F.O.B. is not really balanced right now for various play styles (along with hackers on PC). You NEED a grenade launcher and outright kill anyone if you don't give a fuck about Fulton them. Attackers are against a stacked deck with the defense being able to come in and AI being able to alert/tell their owner who you are.

Salsa

k I wanna see this OP quiet talk cause she sucks for me

explain

I only have the stuff she comes with

buddy support > quiet recon > she does nothing

there are no enemies marked on the outpost I select even tho she says she's done

explain

there are no enemies marked on the outpost I select even tho she says she's done

I have her bond maxed and she still sucks...I dont get it either

nikos

How many enemies should I be sending to mother base? Should I be really selective, or send as many as I can? I'm only on Misison 7.

Ishida

Banned
"STEAAAAALTHHH!! STEAAAAAAAALLLTTTTH!!! Eat my motherfucking STEEEAAAAALLTHH!!!"

Ever since Metal Gear Solid 2, every time I open fire like crazy with a machine gun like that to murder every soldier in my path I actually scream "METAL GEAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!".

It has become quite of a tradition for me.

Chariot

Properly geared up AI will #REKT it Ralph you if you don't have the Battle Dress outfit and it being level 5. This is the problem: F.O.B. is not really balanced right now for various play styles (along with hackers on PC). You NEED a grenade launcher and outright kill anyone if you don't give a fuck about Fulton them. Attackers are against a stacked deck with the defense being able to come in and AI being able to alert/tell their owner who you are.
So far I did good with non-lethal weapons as long the owner doesn't show up. If he shows up I change to MRS. But then again, I didn't encounter a hacker yet. Man, hackers are such a shite.

KorrZ

explain

She only sees dudes who are in her line of sight as she jumps around her various sniping points. She doesn't have magic sniffing to pick out every enemy like D Dog does.

Even still though, when I have her scout an outpost she usually does a great job. Her real overpoweredness though only comes once you get her a silenced sniper/tranq rifle then she can take out full outposts for you before anyone even notices what's going on.

KarmaCow

Quiet is good for taking over outposts, you can just tell her to cover you and she'll take out everyone one her own. She'll alert everyone (not a real combat alert since they don't know you're there) but it will be done.

If you actually want to stealth through a base, then yea she's terrible. Later into the game when pretty much everyone has a helmet, she can't covertly take out people since she always goes for the head shot. D-Dog is better because D-Dog wont shoot the guard that saw you after you already tranq'd him and will actually mark everything for you.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

explain

If you start the alarm and then hide, she'll wipe everyone out. It's pretty OP, but I usually have the dog, who is even better imo because he saves me time when having to track down hostages.

Top Bottom