• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Use NVG. Are you wearing the battle dress? I wasnt hit by one shot but I dont think I ever had a direct hit on me

See this is another part of the problem, before I went on a search for the side mission that started this mission, I didn't know I'd be fighting a bunch of tanks and shit! I wore some regular camo cuz I wanted Snake to look cool. I would have wore battle dress if I had known, but this stupid game for some reason does not let me quit the mission, and redeploy with some better gear! I've tried a dozen times to figure out some way to quit, but all I can do is restart mission or return to title screen...all just take me back to the beginning of the mission with my same gear. ugh!

Hey guys, still earlyish in the game. I have completed mission
and I still have yet to unlock the buddy
Quiet. She's in my brig, and has been for a while. About when does she become active?

Jintor

I'm not! God damn lense flare outside makes it hard to even peek outside, and I keep getting blown up by one hit kills. FUCK regenerating health, give me back rations!

spent nearly two hours on it yesterday.

first job: replace shitty cutscene mandated rocketlauncher with actually decent R&D'd launcher I had. also gear up in sneaking suit (I didn't have battle dress)

second job: AT mines, but not so useful because mostly tanks in the random goddamn sandmines and you can't lay enough shit in time really

from there it was a matter of running between firing points, flare grenading supply drops and just trying desperately not to get killed.

Revven

Yup. Between the opening spoiler credits and to be continued teleports to the helicopter I have no idea what the hell some of the people making this were thinking.

The same people who thought it was a good idea to do it in Peace Walker where it takes you back to a mission select menu instead. :^)

Is there anyway to just have the chopper pick u up and be dropped at a different LZ, without having to go all the way back up and sit through loading screens? I know you can at motherbase, but what about the other places

I know it's been asked in here a lot, but regarding unlocking
Mission 46, how do you specifically do it?

I've done all the yellow side ops and listened to the tapes, but
I haven't done any of the redux chapter 2 missions because I was told you don't have to do them to get 46. Is that right or wrong? Also my Mother base is pretty much halfway complete so I don't know how far in that you have to be for it to unlock

Thanks.

Mission 20 is soooo good. That steadily mounting sense of dread and atmosphere
from the burning corpse pile, to the misty valley, the PT Easter egg (perfect spot for it, especially given the story revelations at the end) and then finally the abandoned factory and the halls inside. The boss fight was pretty cool too, I hope there are a lot of way to beat it. I dumped two water towers on him but that only stunned him and then I finally won when it started to rain lol
. Awesome stuff.

re: mission 20....
wow. interesting, must be time-based i guess? i actually supply dropped an RPG, then i lured him over to the cliff and i shot the rpg into the ground next to him and he fell off the cliff into the water. even got extra points on the mission complete screen for it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know it's been asked in here a lot, but regarding unlocking
Mission 46, how do you specifically do it?

I've done all the yellow side ops and listened to the tapes, but
I haven't done any of the redux chapter 2 missions because I was told you don't have to do them to get 46. Is that right or wrong? Also my Mother base is pretty much halfway complete so I don't know how far in that you have to be for it to unlock

Thanks.

Play another side op or two.Also the yellow Missions are not redux.

Is there anyway to just have the chopper pick u up and be dropped at a different LZ, without having to go all the way back up and sit through loading screens? I know you can at motherbase, but what about the other places

Nope. In free roam/side ops you can instantly go to your chopper in the pause menu. Also remember there is fast travel with cardboard box.

It doesn't always work sadly. The AI is a little wonky, so sometimes they actually chase you up there, or move to a place where you can't shoot them. Tee roof is a sound strategy, but be prepared for oddities.

For sure you have to watch out for the ground spikes. Very rarely they will jump up there.

Aselith

Being slightly aware of your surroundings isn't too much to ask lol she's already OP is as hell.

How is she OP though? If I go into a base, she spots maybe 3-4 guys and there are 10 guys in wide open, outside areas, I can't rely on her. Whereas I take D-Dog and he spots everything including dudes in building from my typical scouting range.

Like great, she can be in a place before I get there. I still have to be there to do anything so that's not really a help. It would more sense if she scouted an area and could spot targets in the open from longer range where D-Dog spotted them in buildings from shorter range. Instead she can scout a few people and I scout it out anyways so that's no help and she can snipe people at this point only with an unsilenced weapon (I know you can get silenced later) which again I can do myself in less time since I have to jump into menu options to do it. If she had a free fire option that might help some but I've never had her help me in a firefight without command.

Kamina777

Banned
I can't stress enough how useful it is to blow up communications and radio stuff before you leave a mission area, I can't seem to tell the difference so eventually helicopters are are are are blessed to land really close to me once for quite a while in game once I've made the right thing go boom amd Miller gives me the heads up.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Mission: Plant Gathering - FAIL

HOW
maxresdefault.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You can S rank both Traitor's Caravan and Metallic Archaea in the exact same way.

For the latter just get on the roof and fire rockets. Call in supply drops when you run out. Boom S rank.

For the former just drive to the airport quickly, sneak when you get close (I only had to tranq a single guard) to trigger the fight, then run back to the roof. What roof you ask? Well guess what Metallic Archaea takes place AT THE AIRPORT! And the place where the truck is parked in Caravan is just a few seconds of sprinting away!

This method works perfectly for the Extreme versions of both of those levels as well.

You will get S rank I promise.

Image proof in case some people require verification :p

5ojVuyV.jpg

Aselith

I can't stress enough how useful it is to blow up communications and radio stuff before you leave a mission area, I can't seem to tell the difference so eventually helicopters are are are are blessed to land really close to me once for quite a while in game once I've made the right thing go boom amd Miller gives me the heads up.

Say what now?

GravyButt

Can I just not get involved with FOB at all? Like not build one or stay offline (if so how)? A.) something im not really interested in doing B.) the little time I get to play the last thing I want to do is lose my guys and materials and not be able to upgrade shit because its all gone because I couldn't login for a few days. Only on like mission 10 btw. Thanks.

Jintor

The most useful thing about Quiet (aside from absolutely destroying places with no cover, like outposts) is that she draws enemy attention so you can sneak up behind people and shank them.

poodpick

How is she OP though? If I go into a base, she spots maybe 3-4 guys and there are 10 guys in wide open, outside areas, I can't rely on her. Whereas I take D-Dog and he spots everything including dudes in building from my typical scouting range.

Like great, she can be in a place before I get there. I still have to be there to do anything so that's not really a help. It would more sense if she scouted an area and could spot targets in the open from longer range where D-Dog spotted them in buildings from shorter range. Instead she can scout a few people and I scout it out anyways so that's no help and she can snipe people at this point only with an unsilenced weapon (I know you can get silenced later) which again I can do myself in less time since I have to jump into menu options to do it. If she had a free fire option that might help some but I've never had her help me in a firefight without command.

If you trigger an alert she'll automatically lay down cover fire. I think she targets the enemies closest to you. After you level up her bond level you can ask for cover fire on command.

So I just accidentally encountered quiet while going towards a side mission and I'll say that that side encounter was probably my favorite moment of the game so far.

MMarston

The most useful thing about Quiet (aside from absolutely destroying places with no cover, like outposts) is that she draws enemy attention so you can sneak up behind people and shank them.

I think they start using mortars at some point for using her too much.

Or maybe that's meant for me, considering I also play sniper a lot.

gotoadgo

Currently episode 34 but I came here to talk about how I suffered in 16

My Fulton didn't have the last upgrade nor my rocket launcher had lock-on

I guess you can tell how I suffered and finished the mission after all..

Now tell me guys, how did you finish episode 16?
Straight up wrecked them with D Walker, they never stood a chance against his gatling gun.

re: mission 20....
wow. interesting, must be time-based i guess? i actually supply dropped an RPG, then i lured him over to the cliff and i shot the rpg into the ground next to him and he fell off the cliff into the water. even got extra points on the mission complete screen for it.

That's awesome. I was worried there wouldn't be many ways to deal with it.

Jintor

I think they start using mortars at some point for using her too much.

Or maybe that's meant for me, considering I also play sniper a lot.

just keep her moving from place to place. I think they usually authorise over the radio before they start mortaring

vpance

So I just accidentally encountered quiet while going towards a side mission and I'll say that that side encounter was probably my favorite moment of the game so far.

Yeah same thing happened to me. Sniper battled it out under the moonlight, so good.

Mista

Banned
Hey guys, still earlyish in the game. I have completed mission
and I still have yet to unlock the buddy
Quiet. She's in my brig, and has been for a while. About when does she become active?

Carry on then a side quest will pop. Ocelot will ask you to meet him in her cell

strange...so nobody in the world(at least from tracked people) have unlocked either of the achievements for clearing outposts and guardposts. People noticed that these achievements are not even in the last gen versions. Is there some feature regarding outposts that was cut from last gen versions?

LeonSPBR

strange...so nobody in the world(at least from tracked people) have unlocked either of the achievements for clearing outposts and guardposts. People noticed that these achievements are not even in the last gen versions. Is there some feature regarding outposts that was cut from last gen versions?

What are you talking about??? All version are the same and yes the achievement Captured exist in all version of the game.

I've started streaming on twitch if anyone wants to watch me play mission 45 and tell me what the hell I can do better maybe in the chat. I'm just going nuts trying to finish this thing.

What are you talking about??? All version are the same and yes the achievement Captured exist in all version of the game.

no, 360 version has 42 achievements....xbox one version has 44. The two missing are the ones for capturing all outposts in afghanistan, and Africa

the achievements on xbox one are called Sweep-and-clear, and Search-and-Destroy

For ep 16,
I got into a surviving gun-tank thing and shot them down. They lasted less than a minute. This was after a half-dozen failed attempts where I ran all over the map desperately looking for a way to hurt them.
I had someone DIE on a plant gathering mission:

CObYfqpWoAIZkKj.jpg:large

How do you break the news to the family? D:

Never fought a bear? They're pretty rough and they like flowers.

Kriken

In the home stretch, finished Mission 41
and that little bastard Eli stole Sahelanthropus
I should be able to get the real ending without losing
Quiet
right?

First off, can you even do mission 16 without that upgrade? Is there some alternate way of doing it without that upgrade or do they just tell you to get fucked and come back when you get the upgrade?

Second:

Head directly the the airport, go in through the southwest entrance that's right by where the truck is. Wait until the tanks show up to trigger the skulls, then go directly to the truck and fulton it (it may take a few tries for it to actually work.) Once Kaz tells you to GTFO, hop into a tank (where most of their attacks don't do any damage) and drive all the way to the extraction point. Fulton the tank on your way out, of course.

MMarston

In the home stretch, finished Mission 41
and that little bastard Eli stole Sahelanthropus
You might as well look up the cut Mission 51 already because that shit is not getting resolved in game.

I should be able to get the real ending without losing
Quiet
right?

If you put the Butterfly on your emblem, then yes.
You'll miss out on particularly good character ending though, but then again you're also avoiding a perma-loss.

deim0s

First off, can you even do mission 16 without that upgrade? Is there some alternate way of doing it without that upgrade or do they just tell you to get fucked and come back when you get the upgrade?

Second:

Head directly the the airport, go in through the southwest entrance that's right by where the truck is. Wait until the tanks show up to trigger the skulls, then go directly to the truck and fulton it (it may take a few tries for it to actually work.) Once Kaz tells you to GTFO, hop into a tank (where most of their attacks don't do any damage) and drive all the way to the extraction point. Fulton the tank on your way out, of course.

I think you can drive it out of the mission boundaries.

Kriken

You might as well look up the cut Mission 51 already because that shit is not getting resolved in game.

Given what I read about the remaining mandatory missions, I sorta figured this :/ Thanks for letting me know I can watch that now though

LeonSPBR

no, 360 version has 42 achievements....xbox one version has 44. The two missing are the ones for capturing all outposts in afghanistan, and Africa

the achievements on xbox one are called Sweep-and-clear, and Search-and-Destroy

PS3, and PS4 has 43 trophies (42 normal and 1 platinum). So only X1 has these extras achievements.

Top Bottom