• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes 1UP review - 8.5

ge-man

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
What the fuck is wrong with all this people complaining about MP/MP2 controls? I'm one of the shittiest gamers on the planet and in five minutes I had Samus jumping and exploring all over the place in both the original and the MP2 demo. It's so fucking easy to control, I just can't fathom what kind of retards have problems with it. Maybe if these persons stopped thinking about it as a PC FPS, the whining would stop.

I think the problem is that the game looks and feels similar to a FPS, so therefore the it MUST have FPS controls. I think that's a crock--that attitude totally ignores how controls can come into play with the overall design. Retro already gave an explanation for the controls (the fact that you are jumping around for the majority of the game suggests that dual analog may not be the most comfortable choice), but people refuse to see their side of the argument. I really wished Retro added that style of control--it would be funny to see a new crop of threads popping complaining about annoying it is to play MP in that way.

Teddman

Society said:
They can not admit Nintendo did something right. Take teddman for example, he will not rest till everyone thinks the game is a stinker.
I think 8.5 sounds about right for Metroid Prime 2 based upon my playtime with the game and what I've read in this review. If you consider that a "stinker" score, that's your call. I assure you, I'm not part of some vast anti-Nintendo, anti-Metroid Prime 2 conspiracy.

I am perfectly capable of admitting when Nintendo does something right, see my huge Pikmin 2 import impressions thread earlier this year or the praise I lavished upon Metroid Zero Mission. In fact, I'm probably a bit hard on the Metroid Prime games because I'm such a fan of its 2D entries.

Prine

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I don't think you own a gamecube. Never seen you said anything positive about a GC game.

He was all over Pikmin 2 and PAper Mario 2

We were also discussing ToS on Live. He owns a cube

Screenboy

^The problem is that Retro have actually done the unimaginable by making a decent game out of a FPS game using the Metroid franchise.

Everyone wanted Retro to fail and even I had my doubts, but what they've done is create an amazing game with the Metroid franchise.

People can't accept it, won't accept it and stop other from doing so.

Nintendo in genral make good games, but it wasn't Nintendo that created this, it was Retro.

And next week, it will be mine :D .

-SB

SantaC

Prine said:
He was all over Pikmin 2 and PAper Mario 2

We were also discussing ToS on Live. He owns a cube

funny how I missed the praise...

^The problem is that Retro have actually done the unimaginable by making a decent game out of a FPS game using the Metroid franchise.

Everyone wanted Retro to fail and even I had my doubts, but what they've done is create an amazing game with the Metroid franchise.

People can't accept it, won't accept it and stop other from doing so.

Nintendo in genral make good games, but it wasn't Nintendo that created this, it was Retro.

And next week, it will be mine

cuz the majority here want the game to play like halo. :/

people complain about controls - want it to be like halo (dual analog)
people complain about the backtracking - not excisting in halo since it's an action game.
people complain over the lack of story - not told in a way like halo.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Teddman said:
I think 8.5 sounds about right for Metroid Prime 2 based upon my playtime with the game and what I've read in this review. If you consider that a "stinker" score, that's your call. I assure you, I'm not part of some vast anti-Nintendo, anti-Metroid Prime 2 conspiracy.

I am perfectly capable of admitting when Nintendo does something right, see my huge Pikmin 2 import impressions thread earlier this year or the praise I lavished upon Metroid Zero Mission. In fact, I'm probably a bit hard on the Metroid Prime games because I'm such a fan of its 2D entries.

I did not imply you were anti-MP2. Just anti-MP (series). As a fan of the the 2d ones I can not see why you do not like MP series, there is SO much more to the game than what people normally experience. I thought the Sequence Breaking in Metroid III was nothing short of brilliant. The fact that Retro tried their best to include that aspect of Metroid REALLY impressed me. The controls played a huge part in merging first person and metroid IMO. I do not see how Retro could of made a better game with their first try.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the controls are simply restrictive. they remain restrictive no matter how well you adapt to them. it has nothing to do with wanting a traditional fps. not being able to look around while you walk or strafe without holding down a button is physically uncomfortable in a first person game. i recently replayed the metroid prime 2 demo to hear some of the music, and i found myself flicking at the right stick in despair. the little camera tricks they use to make platforming easier are in no way dependent on the limited control scheme. give players the option for dual analog control. it was discussed early in development. i have other complaints with metroid prime, but the controls are the reason i won't play the sequel.

and why not include warps to mitigate some of the backtracking? slavish adherence to tradition?

SantaC

drohne said:
the controls are simply restrictive. they remain restrictive no matter how well you adapt to them. it has nothing to do with wanting a traditional fps. not being able to look around while you walk or strafe without holding down a button is physically uncomfortable in a first person game. i recently replayed the metroid prime 2 demo to hear some of the music, and i found myself flicking at the right stick in despair. the little camera tricks they use to make platforming easier are in no way dependent on the limited control scheme. give players the option for dual analog control. i have other complaints with metroid prime, but the controls are the reason i won't play the sequel.

do you like the music in metroid games?

drohne

the original metroid soundtrack is seriously some of my favorite music ever. hip tanaka is a genius. i like kenji yamamoto's work on the sequels as well, though.

Screenboy

I hope your getting a PSP drohne because you seem like you don't want to adapt to different control schemes, imagine trying to play with the stylus!

malcolm6.jpg

drohne

Its like say Goldeneye excells in the FPS genre, you're not willing to enjoy any other FPS because it doesn't employ your favourite control scheme.

-SB

You people are such whiney bitches sometimes, geez

Don't put all your faith in someone's opinion of a game, it's not the end of the world

Mrbob

Ok I got my EGM finally yesterday and these review texts of Metroid Prime 2 are just...weird.

Two of the EGM reviewers who scored it a 9 were pretty harsh. Now I don't mind if you point out flaws in a game. However they seemed to be the focus. Now this review, while having a decent score, is pretty negative too in the text. I dunno, I just find it odd that reviews have these high scores and in the text give the game a beat down. Not saying the 1UP review fits the mold but one EGM review was damn harsh and another close.

drohne

strawman. i could spend the rest of my life adapting to metroid prime's control scheme, and it still wouldn't allow me to do the basic things a dual analog control scheme would. in metroid prime's scheme, your visibility and movement are irredeemably constrained, much as they are in the now widely derided resident evil games. your fondness for metroid shouldn't prevent you from holding prime to the same standard.

Kon Tiki

Banned
drohne said:
strawman. i could spend the rest of my life adapting to metroid prime's control scheme, and it still wouldn't allow me to do the basic things a dual analog control scheme would. in metroid prime's scheme, your visibility and movement are irredeemably constrained, much as they are in the now widely derided resident evil games. your fondness for metroid shouldn't prevent you from holding prime to the same standard.

Dual Analog control scheme woundn't allow you to do key elements that make up a metroid game either.

I am glad Retro chose to satifiy metroid fans instead of casuals. Everyone would be bitching how Retro made a Metroid Prime Hunters on Gamcube.

drohne

Society said:
Dual Analog control scheme woundn't allow you to do key elements that make up a metroid game either.

this argument is about as solid as the "survival horror games wouldn't be scary if they had good controls!" argument. there is nothing prime's controls allow that intelligently mapped dual analog controls wouldn't. the little camera swing when samus jumps? keep it. would dual analog controls make it harder to keep a bead on enemies while you hop around? probably. so make them optional.

Kon Tiki

Banned
drohne said:
this argument is about as solid as the "survival horror games wouldn't be scary if they had good controls!" argument. there is nothing prime's controls allow that intelligently mapped dual analog controls wouldn't. the little camera swing when samus jumps? keep it. would dual analog controls make it harder to keep a bead on enemies while you hop around? probably. so make them optional.
DA would kill the possibility of sequence breaking. You may not give a damn about it, there are a lot of people who do. SB is what makes Metroid games so appealing to me. it is one of those things Retro had to concider when trying to please Metroid fans.

So-so review... If I didn't already know it got an 8.5, I would of guessed the score would of been much lower, the reviewer hardly said anything postitive about the game!

anyway, *hugs pre-order*

The first paragraph of the review pretty much implies that the game was rushed. His reasoning is that the first three console Metroid games were spread out over 16 years and there's only 2 years separating Prime and Echoes. Seems like some dubious logic to me. Especially from interviews I've read in which people from Retro say most of the work on Prime was done between the first time they demoed it at E3 and when it came out later that year in November.

Most of his other complaints seem trivial. He complains about the charge combos, but they weren't that useful in Prime either. He complains about Samus not being as stylish, but how does that effect the game? And people actually complained about Prime having to have the standard ice, fire, etc. levels.

Then he goes on a tirade about backtracking that could apply to any non-Metroid game. He also claims the backtracking isn't worth the reward. Uh, what reward? Backtracking in other Metroid games was done for two reasons. Either to get missle/bomb/energy tank upgrades so boss and enemy battles where easier or to "100%" the game, if neither one interests you then the backtracking is completely optional.

drohne

you mean that dual analog controls would eliminate some of the unintentional control glitches that allowed sequence breaking in the first game? they've probably been eliminated in the sequel anyway. and what's to say that dual analog controls wouldn't introduce exciting new glitches? :lol

Kon Tiki

Banned
drohne said:
you mean that dual analog controls would eliminate some of the unintentional control glitches that allowed sequence breaking in the first game? they've probably been eliminated in the sequel anyway. and what's to say that dual analog controls wouldn't introduce exciting new glitches? :lol

Glitches? The dash jump is NOT a glitch. Metroid 1, Metroid 2, Metroid 3, and Metroid Zero Mission ALL had sequece breaking, nothing to do with controls.

http://www.samus.co.uk/mprime2/demo_tricks.shtml

Still there in MP2.

drohne

you're going to have to explain what the dash jump is, then, and why it wouldn't be possible with dual analog controls. i thought sequence breaking in metroid prime was a matter of using a scanning glitch to jump higher than you're supposed to be able to.

SantaC

I knew this thread wouldn't end well.

Let me put it this one. You lose depth in a game like this if it doesn't have backtracking.

Negative Comments:
Not as Original
Controls
Platforming involved in boss battles
Poor Save placement
Limitations of Lock-On Controls
sound is "less than solid"
lack of diverse level themese
Samus doesn't look as cool
new loadout of equiptment is disapointing
Item Placement
Un-tapped potential
Multiplayer flatout sucks

Positive Comments:
Good job of translating a platformer to FPS
Art Direction
Echo Visor is cool
Exploring new areas is fun

I'll never understand how this reviewer managed to logically squeeze an 8.5 out of this game, its pretty clear he had a horrible time w/ this game. Meh, I don't really care for this review, seems sketchy

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Does this mean it gets an 8.5 from GMR or are the 1up.com reviews completely independant of all the ZD magazines?

Mrbob

I think it's time for Ninendo to let Retro evolve this series. I really dislike the fact that you gotta back track again for a decent portion of MP2. It's fine to have some old school elements to the game, but it doesn't need to be the focus. Metroid Prime 3 needs to be done away with most of the backtracking. Metroid Prime gets a free pass because it was so awesome to see the universe to be recreated in full 3D. It's ok to respect the past but it doesn't mean you have to mimic it.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
dynamitejim said:
The first paragraph of the review pretty much implies that the game was rushed. His reasoning is that the first three console Metroid games were spread out over 16 years and there's only 2 years separating Prime and Echoes. Seems like some dubious logic to me. Especially from interviews I've read in which people from Retro say most of the work on Prime was done between the first time they demoed it at E3 and when it came out later that year in November.

Most of his other complaints seem trivial. He complains about the charge combos, but they weren't that useful in Prime either. He complains about Samus not being as stylish, but how does that effect the game? And people actually complained about Prime having to have the standard ice, fire, etc. levels.

Then he goes on a tirade about backtracking that could apply to any non-Metroid game. He also claims the backtracking isn't worth the reward. Uh, what reward? Backtracking in other Metroid games was done for two reasons. Either to get missle/bomb/energy tank upgrades so boss and enemy battles where easier or to "100%" the game, if neither one interests you then the backtracking is completely optional.

I wouldn’t say Back tracking was optional in MP, every time you got a new power up you would zig-zag back over the game world to get the next power up etc..

Yes all these metroid titles in such a short time annoys me, each game own it’s own is superb but the franchise gets stale and runs out of ideas. The casual customers will loose interest the more Nintendo flog it!

This goes for a lot of franchises this gen not just metroid!

But as I have stressed in many threads if this metroid title was an original franchise I think it would be getting hyped to the max!

SantaC

Mrbob said:
I think it's time for Ninendo to let Retro evolve this series. I really dislike the fact that you gotta back track again for a decent portion of MP2. It's fine to have some old school elements to the game, but it doesn't need to be the focus. Metroid Prime 3 needs to be done away with most of the backtracking. Metroid Prime gets a free pass because it was so awesome to see the universe to be recreated in full 3D. It's ok to respect the past but it doesn't mean you have to mimic it.

hey I actually like backtracking in a metroid game....without backtracking it's not an adventure game! It's an action game withotu exploration.

So why doesn't people complain at the backtracking in etc zelda? yeah let's remove all backtracking and take away the depth...

sigh people doesn't understand.

Deg

Banned
Do The Mario said:
Yes all these metroid titles in such a short time annoys me, each game own it’s own is superb but the franchise gets stale and runs out of ideas. The casual customers will loose interest the more Nintendo flog it!

You mean like EA games? GTA and stuff ;)

Mrbob

SantaCruZer said:
hey I actually like backtracking in a metroid game....without backtracking it's not an adventure game! It's an action game withotu exploration.

So why doesn't people complain at the backtracking in etc zelda? yeah let's remove all backtracking and take away the depth...

sigh people doesn't understand.

Huh? I own every Metroid game in existence. Yes, even the crappy GB game. You can try to play up my anti Nintendo stance on practically any Nintendo game besides Metroid franchise.

I'm speaking as a fan of the series I'd like to see Retro be able to open things up some more withe Metroid Prime 3. The back tracking is only part of it. A couple reviews I've read have also said the game world is pretty small. Samus is a bounty hunter. I'd love to see a Metroid game that puts her on a galactic adventure of sorts where she is going to a ton of different places.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Deg said:
You mean like EA games? GTA and stuff ;)

Lets wait and see what the sales figures tell us.

Not all franchises are stale; the GTA games are also popular culture so it’s cool to have these titles which makes it very hard to compare with other franchise. It’s much like Mario in the late 80’s early 90’s.

However 4 metroid games have been released this gen (2GBA 2 GC) and they have not evolved to the same degree that each chapter of GTA games has.

Anyway I still believe if rockstar over milk the GTA cow next gen the franchise most certainly won’t keep its popularity.

For the record I do believe 3 GTA games this gen was too much but it’s a different franchise and has not place in a Metroid thread.

SantaC

Mrbob said:
Huh? I own every Metroid game in existence. Yes, even the crappy GB game. You can try to play up my anti Nintendo stance on practically any Nintendo game besides Metroid franchise.

I'm speaking as a fan of the series I'd like to see Retro be able to open things up some more withe Metroid Prime 3. The back tracking is only part of it. A couple reviews I've read have also said the game world is pretty small. Samus is a bounty hunter. I'd love to see a Metroid game that puts her on a galactic adventure of sorts where she is going to a ton of different places.

I am ALSO speaking as a HUGE fan of the series. I have owned every damn metroid game, and I like backtracking (exploring) in Metroid.

Damn if this franchise ends up like a straight shooter. Yeah I know the NDS game...

Link316

Banned
Mrbob said:
I think it's time for Ninendo to let Retro evolve this series.

forget about Retro, its time for Nintendo to start letting Intelligent Systems make 2D Metroid games for consoles again instead of handhelds

Mrbob

SantaCruZer said:
I am ALSO speaking as a HUGE fan of the series. I have owned every damn metroid game, and I like backtracking (exploring) in Metroid.

Damn if this franchise ends up like a straight shooter. Yeah I know the NDS game...

All I'm saying is I would rather go to new enviroments the entire game instead of fighting off respawned characters in old ones I have previously passed. :D

SantaC

Mrbob said:
All I'm saying is I would rather go to new enviroments the entire game instead of fighting off respawned characters in old ones I have previously passed. :D

So you build a world that you only go through once? That's just brilliant! it's already been done and it's called an action game with levels. Where is the exploration of that? That's totally linear!

Metroid games are NOT linear.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
What a piss poor review. Docking points (apparently) for backtracking in a Metroid game is akin to docking points for shooting things in a Halo game. Both of these aspects of gameplay are an essential part of either series. I don't care if the whole backtracking thing started because of hardware limitations. It now goes part and parcel with the game. Take away the back tracking and you are left with nothing but a bunch of levels. The backtracking makes the whole world in the game feel that much more real, that much more huge, and that much more cohesive. If the reviewer couldn't get past that then he/she doesn't have any business reviewing the game. Whats next, are they going to find someone who hates FPS to review Half Life 2?

Mrbob

SantaCruZer said:
So you build a world that you only go through once? That's just brilliant! it's already been done and it's called an action game with levels. Where is the exploration of that?

So your definition of exploration is a game that forces you to back track into previous areas? I'm don't understand why creating new areas to go through makes the game an action game. Besides, I don't mind some back tracking. I just don't want it to be the focus.

ge-man

Link316 said:
forget about Retro, its time for Nintendo to start letting Intelligent Systems make 2D Metroid games for consoles again instead of handhelds

IS didn't make the 2D Metroids.

As for Mrbob's comment--I say let Retro do an entirely different series. Take away the backtracking and there's really no point in calling it a Metroid game. The core design is based around finding power-ups that let you cover more ground in areas that you have already traveled. A linear styled Metroid would make power-ups redundant/silly and ultimately take away the feeling of exploration. I would rather have Nintendo leave Metroid alone for a few years and let Retro do something else as oppossed to ripping out the core elements of the game.

Top Bottom