• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Patcher: SW Outlaws tanking is a "rare incel victory"

Duchess

I was all up for playing this game when I saw it announced; I was actually rather excited about it.

Then I saw the reviews, which described it as shockingly mediocre, as well as buggy as hell, so I skipped it.

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of others here who did the same.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
yLo8TY6.jpeg

Vlodril

The game looked like crap. The protagonist too. Why would you want to play that? I would totally play as Trilla from Jedi: Fallen Order (she was great).

I wonder why the likes of Layden and Patcher are suddently becoming emotional and are litteraly insulting the vast majority of videogame customers. What's happening soon that is affecting their emotional stability?

Please do keep those threads coming! It's very interesting how those people are revealing their true colors.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Why does this have to be the narrative that people go so quickly to these days? Especially around Star Wars. The Acolyte cancellation also had a lot of claims like this. Who knew incels were so powerful?
Nothing against this poster but it made me think of something. So when developers listen to niche markets and the woke gaming community is very niche, it’s ok and noble. However when traditional gamers and people who just want to play a good good without being preached and brainwashed decided to stand up and voice their opinions and boycott your game or start campaigns to avoid them it’s all the sudden some kinda of hate crime.

Can you tell me ONE game where is was designed or showed in that has been successful with a woke agenda? I’m sure there has to be some but I’m not recalling them.

Stop using games as a political medium. These are entertainment and not life simulators. I have to believe there are political powers who are pushing funds to developers to promote this stuff, so maybe there is a story to be had there?

Last edited:

simpatico

You're going to see a ton of this blame over the next couple years as most everything in the oven today deservedly flops. It's the only thing they can say. The games are indefensible so they blame the boogie man. We still haven't seen a great AAA game bomb just because "incels didn't like it". Can't imagine we get waves of consistently good AAA games for another 4-5 years after they sus out these problems.

SJRB

Gold Member
All kidding aside, this right here is what keeps poisoning the industry.

Instead of investigating and calling out why Outlaws failed (boring, bland, extremely buggy, repetitive, uninspiring, bad gameplay, terrible AI, bad character models) so devs can actually improve, for no reason whatsoever he pulls the "protagonist is a woman so if you don't like this game you're an incel".

First of all, bullying people and calling them names is not a good strategy to get people to like something. If any, Ubi should call this moron and tell him to shut the fuck up. Secondly, this guy is a "professional" analyst so companies listen to his advice and will jump to the completely wrong conclusions. If the overwhelming majority of your target audience rejects your offer then you clearly did something wrong. However, Pachter makes it seem that they did the right thing and it is the target audience that is wrong. Which is of course a recipe for disaster.

People like Pachter are a blight.

We live in a crazy world where normal people just don't want their entertainment product to be flooded with politics and social issues and they are called all sort of names. What a world this is.

Dafegamer

I love how the term Incel has gained so much mainstream usage. He's only half right tho, so many people just don't love the gameplay perhaps, regardless if the main character is female

cormack12

Gold Member
The game looked like crap. The protagonist too. Why would you want to play that? I would totally play as Trilla from Jedi: Fallen Order (she was great).
I think you mean Merrin from Survivor ;)

854db501-67a7-4621-93f2-884adf179cd0.jpeg

On topic, I did buy the game at launch. So I don't actually mind the stealth bases that much, they are OK little sandboxes with poor AI. In fact they are actually the better parts of the game for me.

I do dislike how the planets are not fun to navigate at all. Remember falling off your horse in RDR2? Well we all know you loved that so let's stick it in. Oh you want to easily make it over there, well let's put loads of fucked up hills in the way and obstacles which make it an absolute chore.

And if you don't do a few broker missions we will tag an auto wanted on your ass to make it even less fun. Its as poor as the gang mechanic in AC Syndicate which made the perk essential just to walk round the city.

It also is very janky, like worse than Witcher 3. The art is beautiful and the direction great but its just fancy icing on a very bland cake.

Now go take your face for a shit Pachter

Last edited:
Pachter always 5 years later to reacting to a trend huh

Wait until he heard about what happened to Concord in 2029 he's gonna be spitting mad

I didn't take Pachter for the hardcore Reseteran type but it just goes to show you never can tell

Last edited:

Reaseru

Funny that this guy, who has been serving the interests of the multi-million dollar companies during his entire career, has finally decided become a humanitarian marxist so near of his retirement.

JonSnowball

Someone spray their gender fluid all over this guys face! It'll be a rare incel victory. Or a soon to be in cell failure. In either case film it.

Why does this have to be the narrative that people go so quickly to these days? Especially around Star Wars. The Acolyte cancellation also had a lot of claims like this. Who knew incels were so powerful?
Well, obviously, they're not. They do, however, muddy the waters and allow for an easy target if someone wants to deflect against a lack of quality in a given product. Like, there are absolutely a bunch of embarrassing reactionary incel arguments that are being levied against this game and wading through all that hyperbolic garbage can be nauseating. How many times do we have to keep reliving the reaction to 2016's Ghostbusters reboot? It's just become the norm now and I don't care for it. Pretty much any game with a non-smokeshow female protagonist or a person of color now has a high probability of being mercilessly attacked for the stupidest reasons. Attack it because the game sucks and call it a day.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Is there any term more hypocritical than 'incel'. Literally anyone who uses this phrase casually always looks like an ugly scrawny pussy.

Also, what an idiot, let's just ignore the shit reputation of the publisher, and the middling review, and blame it on something entirely miniscule.

Bashtee

Of course incels are to blame. Otherwise they would have to admit that they are producing garbage nobody asked for in the first place.

Why would anybody want to play an absolute nobody in a world with lightsabers and Jedis? Tough sell from the initial pitch. Didn’t have the mystery of the Mandalorian, either. Overall bad idea with buggy core mechanics that had some stupid limitations.

Star Wars Outlaws was a marketing uphill battle from start to finish and they delivered shit to top it off.

No amount of incels are that strong.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why would anybody want to play an absolute nobody in a world with lightsabers and Jedis?
Woulda sold if the game was good and not infested with bugs and glitches. Or if the protagonist wasn't ugly or well written...or just let us play as Dash Rendar again. Or if it's a Han Solo game then let us play as Han Solo.

Dash was a great character.

Dash-Rendar-N64.png

Playing this theme would of hyped people up for sure.

Natsuko

As a woman, it didn't turn me on at all. 1. Star wars gets on my nerves, Disney is milking the stuff to the max. I liked the old films. 2. I'm tired of Ubisoft games. Always the same formula, whether it's a racing game, shooter or action adventure. The formula that you feel you find in every third game these days because everyone thinks it's oh so great. You've seen it all before at some point. 3) Ubisoft games are terribly bloated these days. You have to be able and willing to invest that much time in a game. I'd rather have a few less time-consuming games that eventually come to an end. And as a fan of JRPGs, I have nothing against length. But the Ubisoft stuff is bloated and hollow.

If you've given Ubisoft money a few times for this stuff and it just doesn't click, at some point you won't buy a game from Ubisoft anymore or for a tenner in the sale with all the DLCs.

I don't care what a few fragile men say about a female protagonist. She's terribly ugly, by the way. Thank you, as a woman I also like to see a character who looks good. Man, woman, I don't care. The character in Outlaws is so boring, generic and replaceable. There's nothing special about her. Could just as easily be my sleepy, hungover neighbour next door. In other games, this is called an NPC.

Natsuko

Dark souls 3 had a season pass? I don’t think that to be correct

Ah yes better blame this one on culture wars again.
Because a product's quality or market placement totally doesn't have anything to do with sales numbers anymore........

Trogdor1123

Ahhh so not an actual “season pass” as we would understand it now days.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Woulda sold if the game was good and not infested with bugs and glitches. Or if the protagonist wasn't ugly or well written...or just let us play as Dash Rendar again. Or if it's a Han Solo game then let us play as Han Solo.

Dash was a great character.

Dash-Rendar-N64.png

Playing this theme would of hyped people up for sure.

I must have been the only person in the world back in those days that bought an N64 for that game. Not Mario 64, not Zelda, this game. Of course, still played those, but the ad that was running on Canadian TV for Star Wars Shadow of the empire was fire. I loved playing it too. I was pretty much up for any Star Wars back then.

Top Bottom