• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Patcher: SW Outlaws tanking is a "rare incel victory"

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I must have been the only person in the world back in those days that bought an N64 for that game. Not Mario 64, not Zelda, this game. Of course, still played those, but the ad that was running on Canadian TV for Star Wars Shadow of the empire was fire. I loved playing it too. I was pretty much up for any Star Wars back then.
Star Wars back in the day was amazing with Shadows, Rogue Squadron, Episode 1 Racer, Battle for Naboo. Shadows I feel was the standout because it put the spotlight on a new character and focused on the underbelly of the galaxy instead of the usual Jedi/Sith stuff.

Lethal01

don't actually know them at all and haven't googled.
but blocking people who think that promoting some stuff on twitter actually has a big effect on dev is a good call.

30 minutes of tweeting wont affect the tens of thousands of hour the engine needs.

Last edited:
It's just a bland game with some really good lighting. No need for conspiracies.

It's the breadwinner normies who ultimately decide what sells. But no, no, no... in 2024 internet discourse there exists only righteous purple haired wokes and evil incel chud nazis. Everything must be exactly black or white. No nuance allowed. The vast majority of people, the normies, they don't exist.

Fuck culture wars.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
oh, good for him, block em all
I mean that whole thing started because someone went all "using 3rd party engines is for weak trash woke devs" or something like that, that they obviously opposed as well, they're a 3rd party engine, lol. I guess if those "devs" agree with that post, rather than oppose it like godot did, they can stop using godot if they ever did and not feel so bad they got blocked. It's a free engine btw. Donating/flaunting cash at it thankfully doesn't give anyone more power (nor should the expectation be you get to dictate their tweets, lol, wtf?). Glad they demonstrated that fact by blocking that guy. Oh no he's gonna take his cash/ball and go home, boo hoo. They asked folks to show games using their engine after a stupid claim went viral and they could use it as a marketing stepping stone like everything is about marketing and that was apparently too political so the bigot brigade called their bros.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
don't actually know them at all and haven't googled.
but blocking people who think that promoting some stuff on twitter actually has a big effect on dev is a good call.

30 minutes of tweeting wont affect the tens of thousands of hour the engine needs.
especially an open source engine who relies on the community.....🤷🏼‍♂️

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
iu

Raven117

Please. What a joke. There aren’t enough “incels” like they aren’t enough “purple hairs” to tank sales this poorly.

Normal people. Or, rather, the normal/casual gaming audience didn’t want the game.

These companies better start figuring out what normal… standard issue… gaming audience wants. Because right now…. They aren’t buying.

Just think. All that capital and growth from the Covid era… and this is how they spent that money.

Last edited:

LRKD

It in no way is a coordinated effort, that's some laughable copeium. And sure, It might be a rare incel victory, but they aren't going to be so rare in the future i'd think. Bad games are getting more common, game prices are skyrocketing at the same time that people are hurting for money, many people are tired of leftist ideology being pushed in every aspect of their lives. People want games to be fun, they want attractive characters, and a good world to escape reality, not to be beat over the head with nonsense like "trans woman are woman, see look at how our 'real woman' character has a jaw line like a transwoman." The same retarded stuff they get beat over their heads in schools, and at work.

I think in the future we are going to see a continued trend of the average consumers being more cautious when it comes to buying games. Especially with how many players now have long term, live service 'comfort games'. Why preorder Star Wars, or Assassins Creed right away for $100+, when you can play Fortnite and wait to see reviews and maybe even a sale. Devs, and publishers are in for a rude awakening, as they find that there is a limit to how much people will spend on games, and there is in fact, a limit to how much woke nonsense they can put in a game before people stop tolerating it. Remember, it's literally called tolerating, you don't 'tolerate' a delicious piece of cake.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why does everything have to be referenced through a culture wars lense? I don't think a few lunatics that are put off by a female lead should be mistaken for wider issues with many games.

I imagine a lot of people are just a bit put off by games coming out unpolished and rinsing tired open world formulas wrapped in a new skin.

I'll play the game eventually, but I'll pick it up when it's polished and by then it will be £20.

StereoVsn

Disney’s culture war shtick with Star Wars coupled with Ubisoft’s utter mediocrity not selling equals incels.

I see… that means incels are responsible for half US not buying EVs and not shit charging infrastructure and high prices.

Incels are the answer to everything, including Housing crisis. 😉

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Feb 23, 2024 — Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter believes it's an incorrect gamers' perception that Microsoft has lost to Sony.

Dude can't predict or analyze anything so he just goes for full bait claims.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Because that’s at the forefront of games discourse right now. You know how it goes away? Companies ease up on the things people are complaining about.
But what I'm saying is I think the sales are soft for other reasons, they may sell more by just making a better, more original game. People often just don't complain too much about things they are just apathetic about.

Trilobit

So people criticizing games are a loud minority of incels except for when they are an incredibly numerous and powerful group of incels?

This narrative is harder to follow than most David Lynch movies.

clem84

Gold Member
The way I see it, the devs didn't spend enough time on the gameplay, and too much on the rest, story, graphics, world design. In terms of DEI elements, there are FAR worse offenders than SW Outlaws. But I've only been playing it for around 10-12 hours. Maybe it gets worse?

So people criticizing games are a loud minority of incels except for when they are an incredibly numerous and powerful group of incels?

This narrative is harder to follow than most David Lynch movies.
Same thing happened to SW The Acolyte, everyone who criticized it is a racist but since nobody watched it or liked it does this mean everyone is a racist??

Kacho

Gold Member
But what I'm saying is I think the sales are soft for other reasons, they may sell more by just making a better, more original game. People often just don't complain too much about things they are just apathetic about.
Sure. I do agree that the game would have sold better had it been a better game. But at the same time, the current state of Star Wars, and the direction of the games industry as a whole, played a huge factor in these soft sales.

KINGMOKU

I find it interesting that an analyst for the industry goes to the same well game makers decided to explore;

Blaming potential customers.

There's this thing called a market Michael, and it decides what sells.

There ya go buddy. Profound, I know. Use this information wisely when you make your next prediction.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Wow. I’m not surprised he’s an ass.
He’s almost always been a cunt in this industry. Lot of things he predicts don’t even happen. At least, that was how it used to be. It’s been awhile since Ive seen this guy’s name.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is the same level of analysis, how people in game forums write about shitty games as woke, totally same brain and its fucking retarded

Thank you for reminding me this great analyst still alive.
I remember him from GameTrailers with Doritos Pope.

Massive Entertainment made another hit previously, Avatar Frontiers of Pandora:
(PC) 72/100
(PS5) 72/100
(XSXS) 75/100
OpenCritic: 52%

Only game I played from them was World in Conflict and that was a long time ago.

Blame It On the Boogie!
tenor.gif

Last edited:

ByWatterson

In the 2000s liberals attacked Bush as both a bumbling idiot and also a warmongering Nazi mastermind. Obviously, both couldn't be true at the same time.

Feels like that. Are online types a tiny minority that can be easily marginalized? Or an organized effort to be taken seriously? Can't be both.

If the latter, they're a commercial demographic worth listening to. If the former, Outlaws shouldn't have failed in the first place.

Sentenza

He’s almost always been a cunt in this industry. Lot of things he predicts don’t even happen. At least, that was how it used to be. It’s been awhile since Ive seen this guy’s name.
I remember when there was a time on this forum (before the purple people took off) when users and mods constantly defended this clown and framed him as a genuine "expert of the gaming industry" that "knew his shit".

Then it turns out that out of something like 200+active "game market analysts" in the US he ranked in the bottom ten or some shit, with an accuracy rate for his PROFESSIONAL consultations (so no, not just the bullshit he threw in some gaming talk show) around 43%.
I shit you not. The "market expert and authority" turned out to be as literally LESS reliable than just betting everything on "head or tail" and flipping a coin.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember when there was a time on this forum (before the purple people took off) when users and mods constantly defended this clown and framed him as a genuine "expert of the gaming industry" that "knew his shit".

Then it turns out that out of something like 200+active "game market analysts" in the US he ranked in the bottom ten or some shit, with an accuracy rate for his PROFESSIONAL consultations (so no, not just the bullshit he threw in some gaming talk show) around 43%.
I shit you not. The "market expert and authority" turned out to be as literally LESS reliable than just betting everything on "head or tail" and flipping a coin.
I got banned for saying a negative comment about him. I don’t hold any stupid vendetta. I just have a feeling like he’s a big snob. His comments are based upon the money he makes.

Shifty1897

or maybe the market isnt willing to tolerate mediocre products any more...
Yep. There's too many amazing games out there I haven't played yet for me to spend my hard earned money and time on what is basically just another one of Ubisoft's death gurgles. Nobody complains about DEI if your game is good.

Top Bottom