• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to release three versions of Xbox 2

jonhuz

A SLIDE from a non disclosure agreement (NDA) presentation seen by the INQ points towards Microsoft launching three versions of the Xbox 2, one of which is a fully functioning PC.

The presentation, understood to have been given to analysts and market researchers in the UK earlier this year, plots a timeline for the introduction of the systems. Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD are planned for Autumn 2005, whereas the Xbox Next PC is pencilled in for Autumn 2006.

The standard Xbox Next will not include a hard drive, which will allow Microsoft to cut costs on this basic unit.
Xbox Next HD, as you might imagine, does include a hard drive and will offer increased functionality based on this. Xbox Next PC is, according to the presentation, an entry-level PC that runs Windows and all standard PC software. It also includes CD Burner, Wireless keyboard, mouse and controller and will work best connected to a high-definition TV or PC monitor. Media Center functionality - like movies, music and photos - is also included. The device will also play most available PC games.

System outline specifications note that internet browsing and instant messaging would be key applications, and that the entire unit will be smaller than the current Xbox, although it will not be possible to upgrade the shipping memory or processor.

The year-long gap between the mooted introductions of the 2 standard Xboxes before the Xbox Next PC is an interesting decision, which suggests that Microsoft realises the time that the market needs to acclimatise to TV media functionality. Since the Vole expects to ship Xbox Next before the Sony PlayStation 3, 2 versions of the console allow it to get the first wave out before PS3, but to also spoil the launch of Sony's flagship by concurrently announcing the PC version.

theinquirer.net

AniHawk

Well, if true, that would be the best move I see them making. It would keep at least most of the Xbox fans who bought it for the HD. Plus it makes the system very cheap and accessible to casuals. Xenon PC would be a great way to get those PC gamers into the console arena as well.

Screenboy

Bollocks.

Microsoft would loose too much money with 3 versions, 2 versions would be feasable.

I Don't Believe This News.

-SB

:lol :lol :lol

if this is true, i'll ... i dunno, better not make any crazy bets since stranger things have happened...

but i don't believe this news.

Teddman

Wow, that sounds a pretty brilliant solution to the problem of launching first, not losing too much on hardware, but also maintaining the features & power that people expect from the Xbox. Nice way to spoil the PS3 launch with the Xbox Next PC, but it sounds like a tough version to pull off. I guess XNA is key to that console...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Assuming all of this is true, I don't like the sound of it. Splitting the market, not a good idea. What if developers want to take advantage of the HDD, what about all the people buying the barebones Xbox Next? It's the PS2 HDD situation all over again. And let's say a developer adds mouse + keyboard support for an Xbox Next game for the PC version of the console. Would make it a bit unfair in online games. Assuming it's actually possible to even play Xbox Next games on that version? The article doesn't specifically mention that.

Elios83

PC version?
How can they do a PC version running PC software if they have a PowerPC based brand new processor?
They will add a PC processor in it o they will make an emulator of themselves :lol :lol :lol

Plus all these versions make little sense,just make a standard version for games and a PSX-like version for hardcore fans.

Any1

Wouldn't developers make their games to run on the lowest common denominator (hd-less model). Basically, defeating the purpose of buying the one with the hd.

What if a developer makes a hd only game. Half the xbox market would be unavailable to purchase it without spending another $300-$400 to buy teh hd enabled console. Hell, at least with sony's original ps2 you could purchase just the hd to enable your ps2 to play the game. Which nobody did cause it was waste.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 versions though. One with hd and one with hd and pc functionality.

Any1 said:
Wouldn't developers make their games to run on the lowest common denominator (hd-less model). Basically, defeating the purpose of buying the one with the hd.

What if a developer makes a hd only game. Half the xbox market would be unavailable to purchase it without spending another $300-$400 to buy teh hd enabled console. Hell, at least with sony's original ps2 you could purchase just the hd to enable your ps2 to play the game. Which nobody did cause it was waste.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2 versions though. One with hd and one with hd and pc functionality.

Like I said, it's gonna be a nightmare to handle TCR if any of this is true.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
noone would make HD only games. You can't because many more people would have the basic Xbox next (price rules). So the Xbox Next HD would be either for Xbox 1 compatibility, or Xbox media center functionality (please!) or maybe both.

FWIW, this sounds odd, but I kind of expect PS3 to do something similar.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Duckhuntdog said:
Like I said, it's gonna be a nightmare to handle TCR if any of this is true.

Why would you release with 3 versions? You do what everyone else does... you milk it... you release the normal one... then you release the super pumped up one... then you release the smaller version of the normal one.. MS are not fools... they do it with their software, why would they stop doing it for their hardware...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Elios83 said:
PC version?
How can they do a PC version running PC software if they have a PowerPC based brand new processor?
They will add a PC processor in it o they will make an emulator of themselves :lol :lol :lol

Plus all these versions make little sense,just make a standard version for games and a PSX-like version for hardcore fans.

Likely the PC version would have an Xbox next on a card or even just mounted in the case. Its been done before with the Mega PC from Amstrad - that was a Sega Megadrive in a PC.

Great idea.. longhorn's minimum spec is probably Xbox next level and it supports XBN games. Capitalising on their PC experience is wise... they can tap into a lot more online users through a PC as well... more users for their service.

A low end system is a great idea too. I loved the Gamecube for it, and I think I'll appreciate XBN for it too if this is true.

Not feeling good about the prospects of backwards compatability though... Roll on CES.

mumu

radioheadrule83 said:
Capitalising on their PC experience is wise...
No it's stupid. They think they can merge the console and PC market, and dominate that merged market then. They still did not understand how the console market works (or why it even exists for that matter). And i was actually thinking they were on a good way until i read this. I doubt it is true though, so it's probably still all good for MS.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid if true, unless the HD and HD/PC versions only add non-gaming related functionality to the Xbox Next, such as media / internet. That way game developers have a single spec to develop for all three machines, and util / media related developers can take advantage of the extra hardware.

Xbox Next PC = Easy PC 2? (Ugh! - No thank you.)

Makes me wonder if Microsoft are considering moving to a more "spec" based approach to their hardware, i.e. design the spec and allow others to build (for a royalty, of course) - MSXbox anyone?

Sean

Banned
I think the article is legit, because both were reported on earlier by other sources. I'm not saying these products will be released, but there definitely seems to have been surveys and focus group things going on.

The Xbox Next PC was reported back on CNN on May 27th 2004:
http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/26/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

And the Xbox HD was one of the names listed in a Xbox 2 survey. 1UP and others reported on it 6/10/2004:
http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.html?id=061104_3
http://www.pgnx.net/articles.php?page=full&id=4979

I think it is a great idea. I would probably spend a little extra and buy a XBNext PC since I do not have a PC (Mac user) and will be buying an Xbox 2 anyway.

Ar_

Xbox PC is a potentially cool idea.

For all console gaming purpose, you could count on the lowest common denominator: keyboardless, mouseless, no HD Xbox.

If interested in low end (due required CPU emulation) PC applications and games, you could buy (separately or in bundle) the HD, and a wireless keyboard with integrated trackball.

Releasing a mouse or not-integrated pieces would be a poor idea for a system that might end on living rooms, more pratical to have a single piece that you can hold on your lap / limited space / without a table, and more pratical to put away after use.

Xbox PC might then double in use as a cheap, space efficent and easy to use second PC, mostly for those family members who aren't much in computers but might enjoy internet applications.
Very interesting idea imo, I think there may be a market for web-oriented user-friendly cheap pcs.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
mrklaw said:
Likely the PC version would have an Xbox next on a card or even just mounted in the case. Its been done before with the Mega PC from Amstrad - that was a Sega Megadrive in a PC.

?????????????????

Lol, like they cannot have a compiled Longhorn and DirectX on PowerPC... oh come on ;).

Ship that and a Wine layer for all the other applications and you are all set.

Freeburn said:
Stupid if true, unless the HD and HD/PC versions only add non-gaming related functionality to the Xbox Next, such as media / internet. That way game developers have a single spec to develop for all three machines, and util / media related developers can take advantage of the extra hardware.

IAWTP.

Which is why they should scrap the basic version and just release the Xbox HD and Xbox PC versions. That way developers can take full advantage of the HD in both Xbox models and the extra features of the PC version aren't gaming related anyway.

But then again, they want to cut their losses and make a profit so the basic Xbox is still a stong possiblity.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
You guys are not looking at this from a logical standpoint. Microsoft has learned ALOT about this industry the hard way and they're not just going to throw all that knowledge down the gutter and do something to ruin their momentum. This is the most logical way I see them handling this situation if it is indeed what they are planning:

Xbox Next (Base Model) @ $249.99 to $299.99 price point released on Nov 11, 2005.
Includes the advanced IBM and ATI processors along with high level sound system to ensure a powerful next-gen system that should allow for even more advanced games than those seen on PC's for ~2 years, at least. Fully HDTV compatible as well. Has hi-capacity expansion (or memory card) slots allowing for portable and accessory storage cards to be purchased for game saves, faster loading, downloads, etc. These memory cards will start out at over 512mb of storage each and retail for approximately $40 to $60. PS2 and Gamecube games, for example, function fully without the use of memory cards, but if you want to save your game or replays, you *have* to have a memory card (less cost of the system but more post-purchase revenue for the manufacturer). Wireless controller support from the get-go is still up in the air, but imo, it should be standard. Xbox Next Base will be very sleek and small universally and will either be black with hints of green or a darker silver with hints of green and black.

Xbox Next HD @ $349.99 to $399.99 price point released on Nov 11, 2005
Inclues all the features of the base model plus a few important extras. Not only does this unit have a memory card expansion slot as well, it will also have a larger built-in storage disc of some sort (5+ gigs I presume). It will probably also include progressive scan DVD support, media extender functionality, and backwards compatibility, hence the higher cost. So, for developers, developing for the Xbox Next won't require any real special customizations for either version since they're both essentially the same, except for those little extras some hardcore fans are pining for. Games will be developed so they can be played without any sort of hard-drive, *but* they will also be made so that if a hard-drive is present, then saving, caching, downloads etc. (at the discretion of the user) will be fully functional. The XBNHD will only be slightly larger than the base unit, if at all. Down the road Microsoft will have the option of releasing an Ipod-like device that fits conveniently in the expansion slot and can be filled with music from the Xbox Next hard drive or from the internet through Microsoft's live service. Movies and TV shows could be possible in the future for download onto portable devices or for viewing on XBN like a tivo service of sorts.

Xbox Next PC @ $649.99 to $899.99 price point released on Nov 11, 2006
This unit will essentially be a media center PC using the latest Microsoft OS and give the user even more options (DVR, PC, downloads of movies, music, etc, internet, communication via videophones, television, etc. or essentially a media center hub!) in addition to having a built-in next-gen gaming console. PC games and other software can easily be installed and used and Microsoft can license out it's OS+ XBN technology to PC manufacturers for them to include this functionality in their media center PC's to create a sort of standard Allard was speaking of (or at least move in that direction). Microsoft would subsidize the cost to manufacturers so, while they still lose on each unit sold, they will be the ones gaining with game and live service royalties. Microsoft has successfully created a dual revenue stream (game royalties and online) that will help them become profitable in the long run, imo. To play Xbox Next, the user would just select that option from the boot screen and then the unit would function just like a regular Xbox Next HD unit. The standard Xbox controller (which would come with the unit as well) would have to be used to play the game. Because of XNA, games could be made to work one way on XBN and then they could also be installed (probably a PC version) on the PC side of things of the XBNPC or on regular stand-alone PC's and played online against (or in conjunction) with Xbox Next players. An Xbox Next game will not be the same as a PC game and it will not work in a PC and vice versa. If there are "ports", they will have to be just like they are now in terms of plug-and-play for the XBN version and installation for the PC version.

I don't think I've hit everything on the mark in terms of what will actually happen, but I think this is the most logical extension of Microsoft's tentative next-gen plans. It will not only allow them to release a mass-market next-gen console for the masses, but it will allow them to release a slightly more featured unit for the hard-core crowd at the same time without really alienating anyone and without having to eat alot of the costs themselves for features some users won't even use or care about. If the consumer is clearly educated on exactly what is being offered (which Microsoft has lots of experience in), then things should go very smoothly. And in Japan, where Microsoft has had it's hardest challenges, the smaller, streamlined unit will go a long way to win over some new customers and you just know Microsoft will learn from their abysmal first outing and come out with many more advanced Japanese-tailored games made by Japanese developers. Add in the slew of high quality western games that XBN is sure to have, and more Japanese gamers may actually consider giving the western console a try this time around.

Possible Launch or Year One/Two games:
Perfect Dark, Splinter Cell Next, Ninja Gaiden Next, PGR Next, Halo Next, Bioware RPG, KOTOR III, New Banjo platformer, New Blinx, Crimson Skies Next, MechAssault Next, Microsoft MMORPG, New Unreal game, Morrowind, EA Sports Next, Fable 2, maybe the return of TFLO and B.C., New DOA Game, Conker II, new franchies etc.

Microsoft's stable of potentially big games has been growing very nicely for them and with Halo 2, they've clearly shown they too know how to make quality products and, more importantly, market and hype the hell out of them. At this point, if anyone still thinks Sony will not face very tough competition from Microsoft next round, they are kidding themselves. Next round is for all the marbles, boys and girls, and Microsoft is playing for keeps.

Willco

Hollywood Square
This is a retarded idea. Microsoft has gained so much ground because it has gradually won over your mainstream bafoons and this is a quick way to alienate and confuse them.

Doth Togo

6707148614858915.jpg

According to reports streaming in from some loose-penned European press, Microsoft will release three different versions of the Xbox Next. The standard Xbox Next will be a basic gaming console. The Xbox Next HD will include a hard drive. Then, about a year later, the Xbox Next PC will be released as a fully-functioning Windows Media Center PC, all in a package smaller than the current Xbox. It is slated to come with a wireless mouse and keyboard and a CD Burner. This should cause some healthy consumer confusion next year while making things difficult on developers.

Ranger X

That's a fucking bad idea. If Sony ever jump into the "versions" way of doing things, this will all shit the console world. Welcome the "i can't this game fully even if i bought it" phenomenon. Please leave this crap on the PC world (aka Dark side of the force).

wait....so xbox next hd has backwards compatibility?

then xbox next hd is what i will get....but not until a year or two later.

now developers of xbox next games better still support custom soundtracks for thier new games dammit

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
CrimsonSkies said:
Awesome. So on my next computer upgrade I can get the Xbox Computer and enjoy both PC and Xbox titles on it.

Even if it happens that's very highly doubtful, unless you can think of a way to play PC (x86) games on a PowerPC platform.

More likely you'll be locked into Xbox Next only games and applications.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
some of you are not understanding this... an Xbox game will be THE SAME whether you play it on the base or the HD. You're just getting added features on the HD that won't really effect gameplay as long as you get the memory cards for the base unit. You can get the base unit and a memory card and pretend the HD doesn't even exist!

Mrbob

This is the inquirer. Take news with HUGE grain of salt.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if there were two versions of Xbox Next (Xbox Next HD and Xbox Next PC). But the difference between Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD is too negligible to make two models.

Deku Tree

If this is true, I'll wait 1 year to buy a xbox HD. On Nov. 11 2006 I bet the xbox HD is going to be at least $100 less than it's launch price.

Sean

Banned
Link316 said:
splitting their own fanbase is a terrible idea, Xbox2 won't be challenging the PS3 if this is true

I thought Sony is doing the exact same thing with the PS3? ...

On the topic of the PlayStation 3, Reeves revealed that the company is considering launching multiple versions of the next-generation console, catering for a variety of different requirements and price points.

A version of the console described as the "home server" version would follow in the footsteps of the PSX media system, with "all-singing, all dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive" and a retail price take of "whatever it might be, €600 or €700."

However, for those just seeking a new games machine rather than a fully fledged home media server, the company could offer a stripped down system catering to the needs of those who "just [want] to pay 200 Euros for a new generation games machine," Reeves said.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3238

puck1337

Possible Launch or Year One/Two games:
Perfect Dark, Splinter Cell Next, Ninja Gaiden Next, PGR Next, Halo Next, Bioware RPG, KOTOR III, New Banjo platformer, New Blinx, Crimson Skies Next, MechAssault Next, Microsoft MMORPG, New Unreal game, Morrowind, EA Sports Next, Fable 2, maybe the return of TFLO and B.C., New DOA Game, Conker II, new franchies etc.
Isn't it a bit early for next gen List Warz?

mumu

ninge said:
and so, the real reason for launching the xbox finally came to bear..
The real reason has been known long before the XBOX came out. MS made it rather obvious that they wanna conquer the living room, the XBOX is just part of a greater plan.

Top Bottom