• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Whoever thought up the last stage should be fired and made do the most menial repetitive job in the history of mankind. How did this pass review?

And why can't you turn off the introductions of all the enemies? I've wasted at least 8 hours watching them. Nothing like lining up a bow shot only to have 5 captains talk to you for 2 minutes and then the screen come back on aimed in a totally different area.

So Shame actually has a colateral effect and can greatly raise an orc level? I shamed this one orc from lvl 19 and he got lvl 34 but he's now mad.

Man i love this system.

Was that the effect of a skill? I was checking out the skill lists earlier today and I noticed that one made it so that their was a chance that when you shame orcs they might become 'manic' (I can't remember the exact word they used) although it didn't specify as to what that did in terms of game mechanics. Was wondering if your insane level increased orc was under the influence of that skill.

The combat is ass when it comes to fighting things that are a higher level than you. Just unlocked two zones, and I guess I went to the wrong one. Never really had problems with dying before, but this bullshit where the shield guys can adapt and basically be invincible is dumb as hell. This dude regenerates health for some reason too, and is death defying. Fuck what the game developers call "difficulty". This isn't difficult, this is bad game design.

30 hours in and my only complaint is that the game is too easy. I rarely die and I'm playing on nemesis difficulty.

I love the adapt mechanic but it's still not enough especially when the game is centered around dying a lot.

Was that the effect of a skill? I was checking out the skill lists earlier today and I noticed that one made it so that their was a chance that when you shame orcs they might become 'manic' (I can't remember the exact word they used) although it didn't specify as to what that did in terms of game mechanics. Was wondering if your insane level increased orc was under the influence of that skill.
Worse Than Death has a chance to turn them maniacal.

I met an orc that had a hype man introduce him. It was legit hilarious. He just stood there growling whilst the other orc was like "see this orc here? Hes gonna kill you. And its gonna be brutal."

Anyhow, if you do an online vendetta, does that affect whether that orc shows up in their game?

I made sure to kill his hype man first, every single time.

Whoever thought up the last stage should be fired and made do the most menial repetitive job in the history of mankind. How did this pass review?

And why can't you turn off the introductions of all the enemies? I've wasted at least 8 hours watching them. Nothing like lining up a bow shot only to have 5 captains talk to you for 2 minutes and then the screen come back on aimed in a totally different area.

I only finished the first stronghold and I'm already real tired of the intros. Maybe 1 in 10 is funny. The rest is just overlong repetitive nonsense about how badass they are. I don't care what your deal is my guy you're gonna be dead in 20 seconds. The only ones who should talk are the gimmicky ones or the ones that come back.

Question about game length

Is this really a 50-100 hr game? I don't time for all that. How long is a critical path/no frills run?

Jintor

Really?

About 9 hours in, almost everything is a repeat so far except the Orc aspect.

Maybe I need to play more.

My dude I said the orcs were unique. Everything else needless to say is more or less the same shades of brown and gray drabness.

But the orcs are great!

Pheace

Yeah I did that but to do that every time is a hassle plus when I when I do that it really messes with my texture resolution as it turns all low res and blurry, even when returning to full screen. I have to change the resolution back and forth for the game to recognize the textures and pop them back in.

I only had to do it the one time, after that it's used the correct monitor every time

Jaraghan

Act 2 Bruz major spoilers:

That motherfucking backstabbing fuck. When I got the Super Shame skill, I went out to find him. Shamed him again. And again. And AGAIN. He is now level 1, and can be insta killed by stealth and arrows. I am going to leave him alone now, not going to bother and waste my time with him. Let him die alone and deranged in the wastes of Mordor.

I'm in act 2. Enjoying the levelling of orcs etc should I just to mainline story missions to act 4. Anything I should do to make the grind in act 4 easier?

Slot experience gems maybe? I don't know. I'm pretty sure that over the course of shadow wars, whatever you have in your forts at the start will need to be replaced. I don't think anyone should feel compelled to complete shadow wars. It's mostly there for if you really really really like fort defenses.

Such a tiny OT for a high profile multi-plat game. Did this bomb or something?

46k viewers on twitch, 325k owners on steam according to steamspy, I think it's probably doing fine. Just not GAF's favourite game.

Question about game length

Is this really a 50-100 hr game? I don't time for all that. How long is a critical path/no frills run?

Meanwhile I'm just starting Shadow Wars at 56. I think it can certainly be a bit lengthy, yes, but you can absolutely mainline the important bits and cut down that length dramatically.

FHIZ

In the past day I've gotten to the point where you're dominating orcs and I've got to say, I get it, the orc banter can be entertaining, but holy shit they went in deep this time around with it, and it just goes on and on...

I just had a string of like four captains just give their long winded introductions. Earlier, I had dominated a captain while I had low health, then another one shows up and I'm just trying to think about how to bail, but when his intro is over, the first main captain you dominate shows up and just does a long winded "You should set that guy up as your body guard, it'd be helpful... I wouldn't need one, I'd kill myself if I needed help, but yeah you should totally"

"OH MY GOD" -Me.

I don't know why everybody's complaining about how much reading and talking there is in this orc visual novel. Is this your guys' first dating sim or what? My complaint is this weird combat minigame that keeps interrupting the flow of the story.

Slot experience gems maybe? I don't know. I'm pretty sure that over the course of shadow wars, whatever you have in your forts at the start will need to be replaced. I don't think anyone should feel compelled to complete shadow wars. It's mostly there for if you really really really like fort defenses.

46k viewers on twitch, 325k owners on steam according to steamspy, I think it's probably doing fine. Just not GAF's favourite game.

Meanwhile I'm just starting Shadow Wars at 56. I think it can certainly be a bit lengthy, yes, but you can absolutely mainline the important bits and cut down that length dramatically.

So regarding the gems. Which should I equip. Green red or white? Do they make any difference?

So regarding the gems. Which should I equip. Green red or white? Do they make any difference?

Each does a different thing in a different item type. White, for example, in a weapon gives you a small chance of spawning mirian when killing with that weapon which I think is a waste, in armour gives you an increase to all xp, and in your ring gives you an increase to the level of captain level. If you can manage to play without the gameplay advantage of green gems in armor (which increase your health pool) I think white gems in armor are definitely the way to go.

Each does a different thing in a different item type. White, for example, in a weapon gives you a small chance of spawning mirian when killing with that weapon which I think is a waste, in armour gives you an increase to all xp, and in your ring gives you an increase to the level of captain level. If you can manage to play without the gameplay advantage of green gems in armor (which increase your health pool) I think white gems in armor are definitely the way to go.

I usually go green gems in weapons, red and white gem in armor and white gem in the ring unless I don't expect to dominate anyone in the foreseeable future

Zarth

Loved the game but holy cow Act 4 definitely makes it lose a few points.

Its like they tacked it on so they could just say the game is twice as long as it is.

jet1911

I got two orcs turned maniac when shaming them lol. The first went from level 19 to 40 and the other one from level 14 to 34. Went after the first orc and in his intro he was just moving around and going « dooooo dooooo dooooo ». It was hilarious. I love this game.

Zarth

Act 4 is post game. You beat the game in act 3. It's literally just a playground mode.

Then they probably shouldn't call it Act 4.

Its still totally rough around the edges. Some poor sucker spent all that time on Tallion for just the postgame but they couldn't be bothered to at least add some flavor to the invasions or let you shut off introductions for the hundreds of captains they expect you to kill.

Game was great, just feels like someone said "well what do you do afterwards?" and they spat out Act 4.

What happened when an orc got shamed twice?

It's like they're losing their minds. Will they still be useful in sieges?

I had to shame this one orc to recruit him. But he's now incapable of speaking intellectually.

DrBo42

Overlord in Seregost talked a whole lot of shit, even sent a messenger to taunt me. Lost his head.

17EEDD842BE230E6DC1FD83CC559E33C9B5AEA4B

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys.

What happened when an orc got shamed twice?

It's like they're losing their minds. Will they still be useful in sieges?

I had to shame this one orc to recruit him. But he's now incapable of speaking intellectually.

They're still perfectly usable. They just make me feel bad when I see them is all.

Should've joined up from the start, I guess.

Just started playing yesterday and having a blast so far.

Is real money the only way to buy the Gold chests?

There are daily community challenges that reward gold, you may not have unlocked them yet. They're on the far right of the quest panel.

Its still totally rough around the edges. Some poor sucker spent all that time on Tallion for just the postgame but they couldn't be bothered to at least add some flavor to the invasions or let you shut off introductions for the hundreds of captains they expect you to kill.

Game was great, just feels like someone said "well what do you do afterwards?" and they spat out Act 4.

Yeah it's definitely not great, and it'd be nice if they'd given us the option to turn off intros, or perhaps just integrated them better into play, rather than pausing the action while they happen. I also feel like they should've done something to communicate that Shadow Wars was post game better, like roll credits before you get booted to it. It's not going to be for most people.

That and the overly long kill animations really get to me.

I just don't find stealth fun anymore. Every stealth kill feels like it takes an eternity. It's even worse when slow mo gets added in for no good reason.

Jaraghan

Shit. I had a 41 Captain save my life twice when I have been in Last Chance with no chances left. I was out killing a Warchief when he ambushed me and said he didn't want to serve a weak lord. So I super shamed him, now he is a maniac and level 61.

liezryou

It passed because it entices people into micro-transactions, fuck em. After the first 7 or 8 defenses (there are 20 total), i started using cheats to rush through them.

Grimsen

So, I got revenge on an Orc that killed me, but got killed by a Graug before I could pick up the captain's drop.

Any way I can find it on the map? Is it still lying around where I died? I'm not certain where I was when it happened.

heringer

Are there credits after Act 3?

KingV

So, I got revenge on an Orc that killed me, but got killed by a Graug before I could pick up the captain's drop.

Any way I can find it on the map? Is it still lying around where I died? I'm not certain where I was when it happened.

It should be there, pretty sure it happened to me once and my drops were still there quite a bit later

FHIZ

So, did they take out the ability to dominate a War Chief's body guards to turn then have them turn on him?

Every time I try and target body guards it just says "Summon the war chief to go after this captain."

Um... no?

So, did they take out the ability to dominate a War Chief's body guards to turn then have them turn on him?

Every time I try and target body guards it just says "Summon the war chief to go after this captain."

Um... no?

when you have multiple orcs serving under a warchief you can get an Ambush mission where they lure the warchief into a secluded spot and betray to severely them in the process. I dunno if Bodyguards completely prevent that but when I tried 3 orcs were not enough to get the mission.

Top Bottom