• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Holy shit, that first Overlord of Act 2! xD

Guys, I need your advice on two combat skills from the skill tree because I have tried them all, but can't figure out what the best one is really. It's these two (skill tree spoiler):

1. EXECUTION

When your Might is full, aim at an enemy and use the skill to execute them instantly.

Execution child tree - only one can be active at a time

• Grim Resolve -
    Gain Might each time you are damaged in combat.
  • Secret Might -
    Gain Might for kills while remaining undetected.
  • Fatal Might -
    Successful sword strikes gain much more might. Might will reset after taking damage, missing an attack, or exiting combat.
2. BRUTAL AGGRESSION

Might can be double-charged, enabling Brutal Executions which cause nearby enemies to flee in terror.

Brutal aggression child tree - only one can be active at a time

• Wraith Execution -
    Press the button to chain executions to additional enemies. Consumes Focus for each additional target.
  • Ceaseless Might -
    Skills that require Might no longer fully deplete Might.

I've mostly been going with Fatal Might + Wraith Execution but find Fatal Might hard to use when surrounded by many foes simply because it's hard not to get hit but I find using Grim Resolve instead just makes gaining Might take way too long.

So what combo of the above two skills are you finding to be the best? :)

I haven't gotten a Brutal Aggression upgrade yet, but Fatal Might is far and away the best out of the first set. Secret Might is interesting if you're doing a hit-and-run thing, but since it's useless in Overlord encounters it's better to just Git Gud at Fatal Might. And Grim Resolve is just a "lose less" skill, those always suck.

The only thing I would've wanted was an expanded multiplayer. Building my fort armies would be so much more satisfying if we got a record of fortress raids. At the minimum whether someone failed or succeeded, and ideally who/what they died to and perhaps which captains were still alive by the time it ended (on fail).

The more information the more fun it'll be to tool around with different setups for your fort.

It does show you a list of who failed or succeeded, check out the Online tab in the menu.

Jintor

the sheer variety of orc talkies is really astounding. The only thing i've seen repeat are the taunt animations, but all the dialogue and voices is almost entirely unique.

I also absolutely love the orcs that have hypemen for them with absolutely no explanation whatsoever, camera zooms in and then one of their entourage just casually comes in and starts shittalking you

Jintor

all legendary gear upgrade conditions suck, should i just stick with the elite stuff for now so I can proc rando effects?

Pheace

It does show you a list of who failed or succeeded, check out the Online tab in the menu.

I don't have any sign of fort defenses in there though, only the forts I assaulted, the people I avenged and the people who avenged me, but I don't think there's any fort defenses in there. I guess perhaps I haven't had any.

Omg... I'm loving this 'Of the Spiders' captain, he can summon spiders! :D

I don't have any sign of fort defenses in there though, only the forts I assaulted, the people I avenged and the people who avenged me, but I don't think there's any fort defenses in there. I guess perhaps I haven't had any.

Omg... I'm loving this 'Of the Spiders' captain, he can summon spiders! :D

It happens, you probably just haven't been assaulted yet.

pRQgDGX.png

all legendary gear upgrade conditions suck, should i just stick with the elite stuff for now so I can proc rando effects?

Unless the legendary is just outright better, probably. Worry about legendaries at or near cap imo. Until then... not worth.

I met an orc that had a hype man introduce him. It was legit hilarious. He just stood there growling whilst the other orc was like "see this orc here? Hes gonna kill you. And its gonna be brutal."

Anyhow, if you do an online vendetta, does that affect whether that orc shows up in their game?

Pheace

I met an orc that had a hype man introduce him. It was legit hilarious. He just stood there growling whilst the other orc was like "see this orc here? Hes gonna kill you. And its gonna be brutal."

Anyhow, if you do an online vendetta, does that affect whether that orc shows up in their game?

No, their game isn't affected by what you do online

hollomat

Banned
How can I find the daily challenge that gets me gold? I’m looking for it, but don’t see it. I’m in act 2 so I’m assuming it should be there.

How can I find the daily challenge that gets me gold? I’m looking for it, but don’t see it. I’m in act 2 so I’m assuming it should be there.

It should be in the last tab of the quest log.

Open your map, press the quests button, then scroll to the rightmost tab. For me it was do an online vendetta for a gold chest.

BigDug13

I also absolutely love the orcs that have hypemen for them with absolutely no explanation whatsoever, camera zooms in and then one of their entourage just casually comes in and starts shittalking you

Makes me feel like I'm about to wrestle Big Cass and Enzo has to talk shit to me first. The animation of the little orc pacing back and forth in front reminds me of those guys.

I'm the hugest fan of TLOU and his performance there, but I'm actually getting actively annoyed by him in SoW for whatever reason. Whenever there's a cutscene, instead of seeing Talion, I'm seeing Troy Baker in a motion capture studio with one of those suits on. It's like I can see the soundstage, and them just walking around on it, or sitting on a box or whatever. Might actually be a direction problem.

Jumeira

Banned
Im very very impressed so far. Combat is so damn satisfying and the fluidity of animation is bloody visceral, everything has weight to it, pulling up an orcs body from the ground to drive a dagger into their back then transitioning into the next battle stance never gets old. Im about 3 hours in, this is night and day after coming from that rigid wooden Yakuza 0 combat, which is really making it hard for me to continue playing that game.

Having a lot of fun so far. Nemesis system 2.0 is staggering too, i can see it keepings thibgs fresh for a long while.

Jumeira

Banned
Just do story missions until the end of Act 1. That's when you get the ability to actually start building your forces and get into the real meat of the game's systems.

Play on Nemesis difficulty. It'll be punishing at first but the game's Nemesis system works better if you are occasionally dying and you can become quite overpowered in this game. The added difficulty also makes fighting the captains more interesting, since there will be times when you'll have to think outside the box to take down a tough foe.

Get that skill that lets you automatically grab items by running over them. Gets rid of what is otherwise a huge hassle.

Don't be afraid to just kill orcs. It's tempting to want to grab everyone you can for your army but, frankly, you don't REALLY need to have every spot filled with your dudes. A good bodyguard, and then maybe 4-5 good dudes for leadership positions later. Epics and Legendaries are worth keeping an eye out for but the only way to get gear in the game is to kill Captains, and dismantling gear is also key to making lots of money (which you'll want for upgrades later). So you can afford to be choosy with who actually gets to join team Bright Lord!

Thank you for the advice, im a little overwhelmed (but excited) with how many elements and options available to play the game.

You unlock them later. There’s the weekly one at the start but daily challenges will eventually appear. I don’t remember what triggers it.

wamberz1

In the fourth area and still haven't had a guy I've killed come back yet :l

Gotten to the point where I try to kill them as gently as possible. I WANT A NEMESIS DAMMIT!

I have been trying to kill every officer in the first area. I think it is time I move on to the next area. I didn't realize they keep filling in the spots of the dead ones.

BigDug13

I have been trying to kill every officer in the first area. I think it is time I move on to the next area. I didn't realize they keep filling in the spots of the dead ones.

Yeah I spent way too much time in the first area. Plow through the story missions to Act 2. It's SO much better as far as powers unlocked and types of missions unlocked. Even the online missions where you earn way more spoils of war exp for the siege missions than the vendetta.

Also prioritize the spider memories as the one collectible you don't pass by in each area. Those free skill points come in handy.

iHaunter

the sheer variety of orc talkies is really astounding. The only thing i've seen repeat are the taunt animations, but all the dialogue and voices is almost entirely unique.

Really?

About 9 hours in, almost everything is a repeat so far except the Orc aspect.

Maybe I need to play more.

WaterAstro

Which part, specifically? I've just started Shadow Wars but up til now everything's been peachy.

Yes, the Shadow Wars.

Spoilers if you reached the Shadow Wars...
I think the actual ending of the game is before Shadow Wars, so I'm kinda disappointed... but I guess it's the end of the story for Talion. It just feels like the Shadow Wars is the post-game for open world sort of deal.

Dipper145

How long did you take? And did you get through Act 4 as well, to the true ending?

Yeah I did get all the way to the true ending after the shadow wars part, total playtime was around 32 hours according to steam. But I played a bit afterwards too just to kill some orcs.

Yes, the Shadow Wars.

Spoilers if you reached the Shadow Wars...
I think the actual ending of the game is before Shadow Wars, so I'm kinda disappointed... but I guess it's the end of the story for Talion. It just feels like the Shadow Wars is the post-game for open world sort of deal.
Theres a short cutscene type thing after all of the shadow wars stuff. Shadow wars didn't seem bad at first until they added more missions you had to do to each section of it, and then it really did feel grindy regardless of it not being particularily difficult.

If you get burned out during shadowwars at some point, I'd just go youtube for the true ending and watch it. It's relatively short.

Skade

This game is bloody fun but some mechanics are frustrating...

Mostly the fact that enemy captains gain immediately a level when they win a mission regardless that they are in a middle of a fight with you.

As an example : my old nemesis from SoM rose from the dead after the Arena (obviously). Not very nice for me since he can two-shot me at distance AND close combat, and his only weeknesses are venom, explosions (not fire) and stealth. He killed me 2 more times until i had a golden opportunity : one of my Olog captains, who's always followed by an poisonous assassin captain decided by himself to go after Ulgoth. So, in my mind : 3 friendly captains (the two and my bodyguard) and me versus him : should be easy right ?

Well, another captain invited himself to the party : a spearthrower traitor. Not worried, i let the Olog deal whith him and managed to gank Ulgoth with the 2 others captains. The fight was going well, was about to kill him when suddenly, the traitor killed the Olog ('while being 8 levels lower, yay). This prompted the end of mission screen to tell me it failed and thus : Ulgoth got a bonus level, became immune to executions, and killed me 2 minutes later because i lost one of my main way of inflicting damage on him (and that he does not prompt the last chance thing)...

Soooooo frustrating...

Tizoc

Loot crates go on sale on Fridays right? So I can spend my Meridian on regular loot crates on that day to get some ally orcs into an area instead of spending time recruiting them.

oH AND i just encountered an enemy orc captain WHO IS ENRAGED BY EVERYTHING.
And I recruited this guy

_RT_

Bought this over the weekend (spur of the moment thing) as I loved the first one and had seen some reviews that convinced me to jump now instead of waiting.

Is it me or is this sequel more complicated?
I mean... the upgrades.... the mission structure....
Everything feels needlessly complicated.

I'm guessing it's simply appealing to a different crew, but i miss the simplicity of the first one.

Ah well.

Rizific

When you guys say "act 4", are you referring to the region? Or are there cutscenes that tell you you're into a new act? Because I've been skipping every cutscene and was never shown an act x screen. I've unlocked 4 or 5 regions now and taken 2 forts.

Pheace

Is there a way to prevent the game to start on my second monitor every time?

Had the same problem, fixed it by making the game windowed, moving the game to the correct monitor and putting it fullscreen again (or in my case, borderless)

So I shamed this guy with Iron will 4 times. It didn't scramble his brains to mush but he was clearly affected by it.

Said I ruined his mind and his body. He went down from level 34 to level 7 over the course of it and I felt so bad I let him kill me at level 7.

Maximus P

I hope they tweak/fix the summoned orc spawning, it's annoying seeing them pop up from out of no where right in front of you.

Agreed.

Just tried a online vendetta mission and the target seemed easy enough. What was a pain in the ass is that I was quickly overwhelmed, and although I managed to make my way through the horde of green flesh, more kept appearing, over, and over.

It just seems like a really cheap way to make the game harder, rather than make enemies more challenging the game just throws dozens of grunts at you repeatedly.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So Shame actually has a colateral effect and can greatly raise an orc level? I shamed this one orc from lvl 19 and he got lvl 34 but he's now mad.

Man i love this system.

Ravelle

Had the same problem, fixed it by making the game windowed, moving the game to the correct monitor and putting it fullscreen again (or in my case, borderless)

Yeah I did that but to do that every time is a hassle plus when I when I do that it really messes with my texture resolution as it turns all low res and blurry, even when returning to full screen. I have to change the resolution back and forth for the game to recognize the textures and pop them back in.

Top Bottom