• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

They're still perfectly usable. They just make me feel bad when I see them is all.

Should've joined up from the start, I guess.

Yeah, he's doing fine in my first battle, currently.

Speaking of, how do I enter the keep to challenge the overlord?

There's nothing here.

jn4iES2.jpg

On Act 2. Man this game is like the ultimate time suck in the best way.

"Well think I'll stop for today....but a Captain is right there....and while I'm at it, do a few online raids..."

Remmy2112

Something super annoying I've found in fortress sieges is that they need to change what happens when a captain is on a wall when the wall is destroyed. If you take Olags and/or Graugs they will kill your own captains. Your captains will scale the wall and linger for a bit and the heavy forces will smash the wall. Once it is destroyed any captain on that section instantly dies and it says they bled out.

Also your captains can die in your SP game if they die during an online conquest? Had that happen with the wall smashing and my guys are dead out of the conquest.

Balphon

This game seems to want to do Arkham combat without having any concept of what made it functional. I don't remember the first one being this screwy.

I also find the captain monologues insufferable and wish they could be skipped.

Other than that I'm enjoying it. The sandbox gameplay is still a good time.

FHIZ

when you have multiple orcs serving under a warchief you can get an Ambush mission where they lure the warchief into a secluded spot and betray to severely them in the process. I dunno if Bodyguards completely prevent that but when I tried 3 orcs were not enough to get the mission.

But my problem is that I can't get to the bodyguards, every time I target them in the menu it just says they're guarding their Warchief, who I have to attract if I want to fight the body guards.

Jintor

This game seems to want to do Arkham combat without having any concept of what made it functional. I don't remember the first one being this screwy.

right, there's something just off about SoW that just isn't in (what I remember of) the Arkham games.

I think stuff like visual differentiation of enemies not being as clear - beserker orcs that ruin your hitstreak look like every other orc in a big melee, whereas in Arkham they had a bright glowy nightstick that was easy to at least see if not avoid. Other stuff like differentiation in animation priority, the 'weight' of hits being light and flimsy as hell... combat's just not as good in SoW.

But my problem is that I can't get to the bodyguards, every time I target them in the menu it just says they're guarding their Warchief, who I have to attract if I want to fight the body guards.

you can select already branded orcs to infiltrate a warchief. They'll have to win a fight against another captain you can't interfere with.
The bodyguards are just around on the map.

warchiefs can have an orc that's basically attached to them you can't interact with on the map or army screen.

Zurick

Banned
Woke up this morning, said to myself. I'm just gonna go capture my first base. That was 11:30am. I just finished playing for today (for now) and it's 8:55pm

Jaraghan

Beat the "main game". Some thoughs:

First, fuck Celebrimbor. I didn't even want to fight Sauron at the end because I hate Celebrimbor and Eltariel now. Don't want them winning shit.

Talion is badass now. Just a quick glance at the Ringwraith set, it seems raising dead is going to be super useful. Hordes of undead minions taking less damage and dealing more. Sign me up.

I guess I am on the grindy part of the game now. Doesn't really bother me, the game is fun. Still need to clean up some achievements too.

The Carnan's Bane quest in Gorgoroth is bugged for me. After I
shoot the Balrog in the back he just retreats into a corner where I can't damage him and there is seemingly no way to do anything other than die and repeat the cycle.

I know that this game shits on Tolkien so much that this doesn't even warrant mentioning, but
Isildur as a Ringwraith makes no fucking sense.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think this game is making me somewhat sadistic.

I find an epic or legendary character that I want and as soon as I capture them:

"TO THE PITS! PROVE YOU'RE WORTHY! AND LEVEL UP WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!"

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I have been sitting here with a copy of this game in my hands for four days and I still can't decide whether to play it or wait for the X1X in 22 days. The more I read you guys talk about it the harder it gets :(

How do you get the Bruz quests to continue? I'm up to the fight pits, I beat all of them and nothing happened (didn't even get the citadel unlock for the last one, as far as I can tell). I've done every other questline up to Gorgoroth and I'm now in a spot where I'm 32, all the quests are lvl 40 and the two remaining Overlords are 45+. I need some beefy xp quests to help level or otherwise I'm going to be stuck grinding out captains for hours. I see people talking about Bruz fortress defense quests and stuff like that and I have no idea how to unlock those.

I have been sitting here with a copy of this game in my hands for four days and I still can't decide whether to play it or wait for the X1X in 22 days. The more I read you guys talk about it the harder it gets :(

Just play it now. The game is not a looker anyway. Save the X1X for AC Origins instead.

How do you get the Bruz quests to continue? I'm up to the fight pits, I beat all of them and nothing happened (didn't even get the citadel unlock for the last one, as far as I can tell). I've done every other questline up to Gorgoroth and I'm now in a spot where I'm 32, all the quests are lvl 40 and the two remaining Overlords are 45+. I need some beefy xp quests to help level or otherwise I'm going to be stuck grinding out captains for hours. I see people talking about Bruz fortress defense quests and stuff like that and I have no idea how to unlock those.

IIRC,
the Bruz quests unlocked as soon as I took care of the last overlord.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
unlocked online conquests. beware everybody i'm coming for your fortresses.

Just be aware that you can lose your orcs there. I lost a legendary during an online siege. I was a little upset. Bugger decided to die to a mine when we were charging the gates.

Jintor

i feel like maybe they should have added an (expandable) limit on the amount of orcs you can brand cos I'm thinking maybe I cheated myself out of my nemesis by branding him?

You know the guys that are loyal can come back too lol, one guy ran up to my outside the fortress and was like "BOSS I'M ALIVE I'M STILL ALIVE"

I’m super curious if orcs can still come back if you chuck them into lava. I haven’t run into too many orcs from the grave but I that might be because I’m told efficient with my join or die policy.

I am having a lot of bad luck with my captains.

'Oh I want that guy.. ah seems like my execution which was aimed completely the other way bisected him'

They either die as above, become deranged because I need to shame them, or end up betraying me in some fashion. Had this cool Olog-Hai who was pretty much a machine gun with his firebombs and a kickass flamethrower. Totally forgot to check who was his blood brother when I brought him in to help me kill someone.

Is it impossible to eat captains with graugs now though? He was broken and the graug still wouldn't grab him.

The entire game should have been Act IV with more complexity and strategy.

The story missions in this game are terrible. I don't know why Monolith thought these were acceptable missions for a game made in 2017. The vast majority are overly simple and just straight up boring. I felt like I suffered 20 hours of boring filler in order to get to the real game.

The fortress sieges/defense portions are the actual fun part of the game, and that's all in the Shadow Wars end game. Running around the battlefield supporting your troops and doing on the fly battle tactics feels great. I feel like I'm playing the actual game now and not just the overly long tutorial the game has been prepping me for.

I wish the fortress stuff was the whole game. Shadow of War should be you commanding your armies from the map screen and choosing which battles to fight. You should be making strategic decisions like where to pour your army resources and who should be leading your troops into battle.

Instead, the vast majority of the game is the boring open world and terrible story missions. I like this game, but man, it really is a missed opportunity. They should have went all in on the army and command aspect. Instead, they tried to find a balance like the last game, and the end result is a bit of a mess.

Also, it would have been nice if this game was less...racist. Talion should start off as a person hating Orcs and only wanting to use them for his own means, by the end, he should build a real bond with his troops and refuse this whole "domination" aspect altogether. Instead, the Orcs are treated as sub human people the entire game, and this is despite the fact that they obviously aren't all just monsters and crazies. It just feels...gross.

People were not kidding that the game pretty much starts at Act 2.

I highly recommend people to stop lingering in Minis Tirith and quickly do the necessary story missions in order to progress towards Act 2.

I am scheming on who from my army I am making my bodyguards. Who I want to compete against another enemy captain. Who I am making my front assault team for taking over the fortress.
Who I want to infiltrate against the Warchief. Who I want to compete in pit fights. Who I want to assassinate. The options are pretty much endless. I am waiting for my first betrayal!

Joeku

Yo, this mission back in
Minas Morgul
? Where you have to purify the six whatevers?

Fuck this shit. Fuck the captains and their "No Chance" particularities. Can't even dominate the zone around it to make it easier.

People were not kidding that the game pretty much starts at Act 2.

I highly recommend people to stop lingering in Minis Tirith and quickly do the necessary story missions in order to progress towards Act 2.

I am scheming on who from my army I am making my bodyguards. Who I want to compete against another enemy captain. Who I am making my front assault team for taking over the fortress.
Who I want to infiltrate against the Warchief. Who I want to compete in pit fights. Who I want to assassinate. The options are pretty much endless. I am waiting for my first betrayal!

True, the game really opens up at Act 2.

I've had my first betrayal after a few hours in Act 2, and he's pretty much my best captain. Sigh.

Yo, this mission back in
Minas Morgul
? Where you have to purify the six whatevers?

Fuck this shit. Fuck the captains and their "No Chance" particularities. Can't even dominate the zone around it to make it easier.

Yeah that was pretty rough.
Remember your summons, remember that anyone with sickly/burnable and a vulnerability to arrows is basically a free kill, and also, remember that there are rats in the outermost ring of the arena. Good luck!

True, the game really opens up at Act 2.

I've had my first betrayal after a few hours in Act 2, and he's pretty much my best captain. Sigh.

Time to shame!

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Just play it now. The game is not a looker anyway. Save the X1X for AC Origins instead.

Are you actually in my head? This is almost exactly the conversation I have been having in my head over and over. With AC:O, Wolf2, CoD:WW2 dropping at the same time, november is going to be totally slammed, and AC:O is probably my top priority.

cantona222

I am level 16 and mainly focusing on story missions for now and ready to battle for the first fortress. Am I still in Act 1? I am skipping cut scenes so maybe I didn't notice that I am in Act 2 already.

I'm getting confused about the death thread mechanic. You just dominate Worms right? It used to work but now just send me straight to receive intel and I am not sure why.

DrBo42

I'm getting confused about the death thread mechanic. You just dominate Worms right? It used to work but now just send me straight to receive intel and I am not sure why.
Unless it needs to be unlocked, death threat is right next to the Intel option in the army menu after dominating the worm.

Finally shamed a legendary dude with decoys enough times to the point where he lost iron will.

He'll make a great leader. Hype

by the way it is total bullshit that you can't tell orc levels from the map AND you have to hold the fucking button to get to the orc screen

what the fuck? why not just put it to rb or just double tap the trigger?
The devs don't respect the player's time or convenience.

Same reason most of my time spent playing this game has actually been spent watching random cutscenes of repeated enemy dialogue and random slow-mo deaths.

Jintor

by the way it is total bullshit that you can't tell orc levels from the map AND you have to hold the fucking button to get to the orc screen

DrBo42

Multiple ways to get there. 1 tap of pause -> army. Long hold of pause directly goes there. Hold trigger in map screen.

Holy shit, my legendary's about to die in a duel. Maybe quitting out before it happens will prevent it.

This is such total bullshit. Is there a way to level them up without this RNG?

He was incredibly good when I fought him. Now suddenly he's forgotten how to attack or smoke bomb, and the AI he's fighting is cheating and knows which one he is out of his clones.

Edit: What the fuck? I used a training order to give him a defender gang, and it used the training order without giving him the gang. Ugh

DrBo42

Holy shit, my legendary's about to die in a duel. Maybe quitting out before it happens will prevent it.

This is such total bullshit. Is there a way to level them up without this RNG?
Other that the pits? Honestly I don't think so. Carefully check your opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Anarion07

I recently gave One of my Captains a cursed weapon and soon after he attacked me. Is that normal for cursed weapons or just bad luck?
Also afterwards about 5k of my money was missing.
Did he take that or did I miss something where I unknowingly spent it?
Happened in act I.

And I think the surprise attacks by random captains happen far too frequently, even during other active missions. But maybe that's because I play on hardest difficulty. It can be really annoying though.

Unless it needs to be unlocked, death threat is right next to the Intel option in the army menu after dominating the worm.

I ended up being confused not knowing you couldn't send a death threat to (some?) warchiefs.

But now I have another issues which may be a bug. After taking back a fortress, enemies are still warchiefs. When I kill them, I can't replace them with my own guys. It just lets me "purchase" that space, over and over again..

Ravelle

I got stuck at that damn The Fall mission.

That drake is some bullshit, no matter if I dodge his fire or move out the blast radius red circle I always get burned.

Top Bottom