• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should've been a perfect game if it wasn't for Hanley's Hanley-esque defensive performance.

Still, a 15K no-hitter is pretty fucking unbelievable.

Oh, wow. I went to bed after the Yankees game and was gonna watch the Dodgers but I was too tired. Oops. Woke up and saw my fantasy scoreboard, 9 IP, W, no WHIP :O and dashed to the headlines, heh

Wish I'd seen that..

eznark

Banned
Retarded that an accomplishment we attribute wholly to one guy we also somehow diminish because of the mistakes of some other guy.

The reason perfect games are dumb.

Meier

CLAYTON! Good shit to wake up to. When it rains, it pours...almost 18 years without one, then two in less than a month. I think that would have only been our second perfect game. Koufax has the other (natch) -- damn you, Hanley!

eznark

Banned
Matheny is really bitching about the Lucroy All Star ad? I wonder how far LaRussa jammed the stick up his ass before bolting to do the same in Arizona?

jakncoke

Banned
Pittsburgh's Gregory Polanco went 2 for 4 and became the second player in Pirates' history -- joining Spencer Adams (1923) -- to have a hit in each of his first eight major league games.

Whats the record in MLB history?

Also guess I witnessed history :/

Edinson Volquez (PIT): 1st Pirates starter to ever allow 8+ ER in less than 3 IP in a start against the Reds. 1st Pirates starter to do this at all since Jeff Locke on Aug. 17 of last season (against D-Backs).

lol Brandon Cumpton 10 ER game just shy of counting towards that as he lasted 3 2/3 man our pitching staff is in shambles

eznark

Banned
As bad as those Ausmus comments are supposed to make me feel, I can't fault the guy for giving a dumb answer to an even dumber question by a reporter.

"those comments"

lol a two second quip followed by 2 minutes of apologizing and Keith Law wants to skewer him. Imbecilic.

Overlee

Kershaw really is the best pitcher of this generation. Some fun facts via Eric Stephen:

Kershaw was 26 years, 91 days old on Wednesday. Sandy Koufax when he threw the first of his four no-hitters, on June 30, 1962 against the Mets, was 26 years, 182 days old.

The only pitcher to strikeout more than Kershaw (15) in a no-hitter is Nolan Ryan, who struck out 17 Tigers on July 15, 1973 and struck out 16 Blue Jays on May 1, 1991.

Kershaw is the only pitcher ever to strikeout 15 in a game while allowing no hits and no walks.

Kershaw's game score (a fun stat invented by Bill James as a quick and dirty look at starting pitcher effectiveness) of 102 is the second-highest in a nine-inning game, trailing only Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout one-hitter on May 6, 1998.

Among his 28 batters faced, Kershaw had one three-ball count, to Josh Rutledge in the second inning. Rutledge grounded out to second base.

His FIP for the game was -0.24, because the model isn’t designed to handle dominance at this level. His xFIP was 0.19.

BEjq-3_CIAAPXp4.jpg+large.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
Sigh, to think Pirates drafted Brad Lincoln over Clayton Kershaw

edit; oh god polanco what was that lol

edit; Polanco first Pirate ever to have a 9 game hit streak to start a career

edit; damn Homer Bailey has 6.91 run support, most in the NL

jakncoke

Banned
lol at the story about Paul Waner. Apparently was a decent drinker but decided to quit one year and his average dropped to .250, after a while Pie Traynor took him to a bar to get him drinking again and Waner average soon after returned to normal

edit; lol what was that homer bailey?

edit; haha nice

The Marlins have signed Brad Penny to a minor league deal. Penny, 36, last pitched in the Majors as a relief pitcher with the Giants in 2012. Penny made his MLB debut with the Marlins in 2000 and pitched for them from 2000-2004.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn, I forgot it was an early game today. Bailey looking like ass? He's so damn inconsistent.

Oh.. OK. So now it's delayed due to rain. At least I might be able to catch some of it then.

DietRob

He fell apart after he balked in the 5th

Seems that Homer is only good for about 5 innings or 80 some pitches this year. His run support is insane yet Alfredo Simon is the one with NL leading 10 wins. I really hope Homer starts living up to that monster contract soon.

I really miss collecting baseball cards. I have about 8 shoeboxes full from the late 70's - early 90's.

jakncoke

Banned
Seems that Homer is only good for about 5 innings or 80 some pitches this year. His run support is insane yet Alfredo Simon is the one with NL leading 10 wins. I really hope Homer starts living up to that monster contract soon.

I really miss collecting baseball cards. I have about 8 shoeboxes full from the late 70's - early 90's.

Yes they mentioned this earlier today, leading the NL by nearly 3/4 a run with nearly 7 runs of support per start.

Back to reality. Losing by 1 with Gordon out after a 10 game win streak is alright in my book though.

Yep, couldn't last forever. But hey at least we're still in 1st! Hopefully the 9 game homestand vs the M's/Dodgers/Angels goes well and we get to stay there. Now the Tigers are going to start a series vs Cleveland tomorrow. It's gonna feel weird rooting for the Indians, but that's what we'll be doing this weekend.

DietRob

Breh, Hamilton is an amazing defensive CF. So many amazing plays..

Serious contender for Rookie of the year.
Shin soo Who??

DietRob

Come on Price have a little faith in Broxton he's already pitched out of some pickles this year. Now with Chapman coming on we have to score in top of 10 or the bullpen won't hold.

What the hell Todd?

eznark

Banned
Oh my God the Diamondbacks have to be the worst coached team of the last twenty years. They were completely baffled as to who was supposed to cover second on the exceedingly rare baseball occurrence; single up the middle with a man on second. Overbay somehow was able to turn it into a double because both middle infielders shoved their thumbs up their butts.

Obviously he then scores on a bloop.

DietRob

Might as well load the bus now that Cingrani is in.

Wish he'd get on his own bus back down to Louisville. He needs to stay there until he can develop something other than a fastball.

DietRob

Is he that bad? I'll take him if you take Grilli

The only reason he was good last year is because nobody had a chance to really scout him. Now that everyone in the league knows all he's got is a mid 90's fastball that he can throw reliably everyone is able to tee off on him. When he's not throwing that fastball he's got very little control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom