• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

An actually interesting article on ESPN.com: someone compares the brilliance of the Astros' system the last few years to Marlins, suggesting that the core strategy in both cases is to deliberately stink for years and make little attempt to change it, because all that does is depress your draft position. In other words, it's better to give up completely and win 60 than it is to try and win 75. Once you accrue talent, push hard for a couple of years, then rinse and repeat.

I must agree that if everyone used that system, it would produce a race to the bottom where the top 6-7 teams make earnest attempts while the bottom 5-6 accepted their fate and deliberately stunk in an effort to out-stink their rivals.

Sanjuro

An actually interesting article on ESPN.com: someone compares the brilliance of the Astros' system the last few years to Marlins, suggesting that the core strategy in both cases is to deliberately stink for years and make little attempt to change it, because all that does is depress your draft position. In other words, it's better to give up completely and win 60 than it is to try and win 75.

I must agree that if everyone used that system, it would produce a race to the bottom where the top 6-7 teams make earnest attempts while the bottom 5-6 accepted their fate and deliberately stunk in an effort to out-stink their rivals.

I had this discussion on one of the OT baseball threads. There is zero purpose to deliberately tanking in baseball.

Not going out and making your team better? That is a different story.

Opiate

I had this discussion on one of the OT baseball threads. There is zero purpose to deliberately tanking in baseball.

Not going out and making your team better? That is a different story.

Right, it's the latter we're talking about. Making no attempt to sign any free agent talent, even if you have the money and there are readily available options at a position you currently have -2 WAR in. By "tanking" we do not mean "tell your players to play badly."

BFIB

Right, it's the latter we're talking about. Making no attempt to sign any free agent talent, even if you have the money and there are readily available options at a position you currently have -2 WAR in. By "tanking" we do not mean "tell your players to play badly."

I thought the Astros had an offer in on Tanaka?

Sanjuro

Agreed. "Potentially" that team of misfits could win 80+ games when you start getting some kind of system in place.

My major issue with the Astros is I do not believe they are going to achieve a winning goal in any sort of proper duration. It makes little sense to treat your club like this and develop for success closer to 2020.

Probably. They have to do something at some point. If they don't? Fuck that noise.

BFIB

To me, its about spending money, but spending it wisely. Use the free agent market to fill your holes, not go crazy and sign a name, just to sign a name. So I understand to some it looks like a team may be "tanking" but MLB development is a longer process than other sports. If you're going to rebuild, its going to take longer than most other sports.

3N16MA

Banned
The Astros can gather as much young talent as they want but they need to develop them properly. The development process is as important as your draft position.

The Yankees once had the #4 overall prospect in 2007 and the #3/#45 overall prospects in 2008. The top 2 pitching prospects in the game back to back seasons. All of them were once in the same rotation and now none of them are part of the organization.

Syrinx

The Astros can gather as much young talent as they want but they need to develop them properly. The development process is as important as your draft position.

The Yankees once had the #4 overall prospect in 2007 and the #3/#45 overall prospects in 2008. The top 2 pitching prospects in the game back to back seasons. All of them were once in the same rotation and now none of them are part of the organization.
I think this is the difference between the Cardinals, Rays, Red Sox, etc. and everybody else. It's not just that they scout well, but they develop that talent so well. One reason they so constantly have young players contributing.

Parch

Tanking isn't a thing in baseball, but I think it's one of the worst sports for some players and teams simply "going through the motions" when they're no longer in contention. There is some really bad baseball in August and September because of halfhearted efforts.

Edwardo

Please tell me this is the same guy

HBYpD3H.jpg

9XrRhcG.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

They supposedly offered him 6/100.

Yeah, it was something like that. They were in on him for sure.

To me, its about spending money, but spending it wisely. Use the free agent market to fill your holes, not go crazy and sign a name, just to sign a name. So I understand to some it looks like a team may be "tanking" but MLB development is a longer process than other sports. If you're going to rebuild, its going to take longer than most other sports.

Exactly. What is the point of going out and spending money to gain what, maybe an extra 5-10 wins? Also, look at some of the big named free agents that were out there who's contracts are albatrosses. That isn't the kind of thing you'd want on a rebuilding team.

Astros are doing what needs to be done and when the right time comes, then they'll spend the money on free agency.

Good first outing by Feldman. Astros time to bat!

Exactly. What is the point of going out and spending money to gain what, maybe an extra 5-10 wins? Also, look at some of the big named free agents that were out there who's contracts are albatrosses. That isn't the kind of thing you'd want on a rebuilding team.

Astros are doing what needs to be done and when the right time comes, then they'll spend the money on free agency.

Good first outing by Feldman. Astros time to bat!
Bring up Springer! Lol

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
You can't stop this Stros team.

World Series here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom