• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
lets go Astros!

In baseball harmony, Luhnow was receiving criticism for not giving up Bregman for Sale in the offseason. Bregman homered twice once to start the series and once to start the end of it, both off Sale.

Line_HTX

lets go Astros!

In baseball harmony, Luhnow was receiving criticism for not giving up Bregman for Sale in the offseason. Bregman homered twice once to start the series and once to start the end of it, both off Sale.

Both off of Sale and over the Green Monster.

This kid is good.

Caja 117

So, should Yanks play Holliday? Given how they havent got anything from DH, i feel There is really no harm in putting him there.

Beckx

Hey Beckx, any chance there'll be some sort of Ohtani sighting in the next couple of weeks?

He has said he will have nothing to say until the Japan Series is over (Fighters aren't in playoffs but he doesn't want to be a distraction), so no news till then.

He did have successful surgery this week to fix a nagging foot injury, will be fully healed by ST.

Risible

Dear MLB-GAF, please help. I know exactly nothing about MLB. That being said, I ended up with a sub to MLB.COM through some T-Mobile promotion back in April.

My step-father wants to watch the Yankees in the post season, apparently they are playing Friday? He is away and basically only has access to his Mac laptop.

Can he watch the games on MLB.com? I checked the website and it's confusing as shit as to whether or not he actually can. Does he need some sort of $24.99 upgrade package to watch the post-season? I can't tell.

Any help y'all can through this noob's way would be super helpful.

dickroach

Dear MLB-GAF, please help. I know exactly nothing about MLB. That being said, I ended up with a sub to MLB.COM through some T-Mobile promotion back in April.

My step-father wants to watch the Yankees in the post season, apparently they are playing Friday? He is away and basically only has access to his Mac laptop.

Can he watch the games on MLB.com? I checked the website and it's confusing as shit as to whether or not he actually can. Does he need some sort of $24.99 upgrade package to watch the post-season? I can't tell.

no you don't need to pay the $25, BUT national broadcasts are blacked out, so he's either going to need to connect his mlb.com account with his cable tv provider, or use a vpn to bypass the national blackout

or, if he has cable tv at home, he can just log onto foxsportsgo.com

3N16MA

Banned
I'm going to sing and dance in the streets when Ellsbury is finally off this team for good.

It was a shit deal from day 1. Ells was a solid CF before he signed but there was no need for the Yanks to dump 150M on him (Sox didn't bother offering him more than 120M). He had two injury plagued seasons squeezed in between two stellar seasons.

Cano was and will always be the superior player. It was a move that was made because the FO knew Cano wasn't coming back and they had to make a splash. Should have just let the Mariners grab him (supposedly they offered him big money) and take them out of the Cano sweepstakes.

I would rather they spent 200M on Cano than 150M on Ells.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

US you have to watch it on TV. If you are elsewhere you can use MLB.TV (mlb.com). (look around for a vpn or something to get around it)

looking on the mlb.tv site it looks like you can authenticate with a cable provider to watch in the US as well.

And you shouldn't need another sub, if you are still subscribed from the season just go to mlb.tv and click the current subscriber button in the top right.

3N16MA

Banned
Astros are easily better. The streak skewed things a bit.

I actually took a look at it.

Cleveland - April to May: 27-24 (.529), June to July: 30-23 (.566), August to October: 45-13 (.776)

Houston - April to May: 38-16 (.704), June to July: 31-20 (.607), August to October: 32-25 (.561)

Houston clearly had their best stretch during the first two months. Both teams had their 2nd best stretch during the middle of the season. Cleveland had their best stretch during the final two months. Cleveland got better as the season went along and Houston got a bit weaker but still a very good team.

Cleveland may have had higher highs and lower lows but it's not drastic. Also the Astros were 1-5 against Cleveland during the season and this was before the Indians got hot. 20% of the Astros run differential came during a 4 game stretch in the final week.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I actually took a look at it.

Cleveland - April to May: 27-24 (.529), June to July: 30-23 (.566), August to October: 45-13 (.776)

Houston - April to May: 38-16 (.704), June to July: 31-20 (.607), August to October: 32-25 (.561)
Keuchel went down in June, Mccugh didnt even pitch until July IIRc, McCullers went down in July, Correa went down in July and Springer went down in August.
show me a team that keeps winning with its top two RBI guys out and 3 or 4 of its best starting pitchers out for entire months of the season.

Houston clearly had their best stretch during the first two months. Both teams had their 2nd best stretch during the middle of the season. Cleveland had their best stretch during the final two months. Cleveland got better as the season went along and Houston got a bit weaker but still a very good team.

Cleveland may have had higher highs and lower lows but it's not drastic. Also the Astros were 1-5 against Cleveland during the season and this was before the Indians got hot. 20% of the Astros run differential came during a 4 game stretch in the final week.
regular season is meaningless at this point. Yankees also had a losing record against the Indians, how'd that work out?

I think the streak wore the Indians out. It has to be mentally exhausting to win that many games in a row, even if you are winning. And or they peaked too early.

gamz

Get SlingTV

That's what I use

3N16MA

Banned
Keuchel went down in June, Mccugh didnt even pitch until July IIRc, McCullers went down in July, Correa went down in July and Springer went down in August.
show me a team that keeps winning with its top two RBI guys out and 3 or 4 of its best starting pitchers out for entire months of the season.

regular season is meaningless at this point. Yankees also had a losing record against the Indians, how'd that work out?

I think the streak wore the Indians out. It has to be mentally exhausting to win that many games in a row, even if you are winning. And or they peaked too early.

Injuries happen. I could point out that the Yanks lost Pineda for half the season, Sanchez missed a month, Didi missed time, Bird was out most of the season, Castro was out twice, Hicks got hurt when he was hot, CC went on the DL, Chapman missed time.

The Astros are great but I don't place them easily above Cleveland as was stated. You're going to have a hard time finding anyone who does.

Malo

Banned
Josh Norris

Ronald Acuña just got drilled in the hand with a mid-90s heater and he's in agony. #Braves

Braves Gaf, the council will welcome you with open arms.

Top Bottom