• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Mairu

The new egg delivery event quest is amazing. I have like 430k now after doing like 6 runs. Definitely going to farm this some more tomorrow so I don't have to worry about armor upgrades.

volmer

PounchEnvy said:
Woo got an ancientshard SnS. SnS each time I've gotten an ancient. Even though the Rustshard SnS is better the collector in me is giddy.
Congrats! I was also lucky to find both rusted and ancient SnS. :) Personally I also prefer Eternal Hate -- mostly due to the satisfying sound when drawing/sheathing the sword, but one could argue that Divine Exodus is actually a better weapon for use with high rank armors, since Sharpness+1 bumps it up to white sharpness for increased damage where Eternal Hate stays blue. For example, I use a simple combination of the Vangis and Helios+ armors to archieve Sharpness+1, Attack Up, and Elemental Atk Up.

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
Im about to jump on. HR 50 looking to get 5* urgent done....still. As always im down for anything.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - JX11HZ - Magnus (tomegatherion77)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

ShinNL

Tenbatsu said:
For the japanese version, I started mixing only at high level quest as I don't really understand the charm system that well during low level. For NA ver, I started mixing once I have charms. Most importantly is to build your armor based on skills. Think about what skills you want first before doing any mixing and matching.

I posted this a few pages back but I guess people here don't understand what the crap am I talking about:lol
Thanks for your reply. I actually understood that post :lol it's just that I'm a perfectionist and say I have a fastdraw+5 charm and start making a perfect set for it, only to find a fastdraw+7 later on or something. Wouldn't it be annoying if you had to remake the whole set again (to get just that 1 extra skill thanks to the new charm)? Or doesn't this happen often enough to worry about (so plenty of time to enjoy the freshly made armorset)?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
uaarghhh

I meant to play this all day and I can barely even look at a screen due to this huge fucking headache.

Want to do the event questsssssss

dsister44

cheers for helping me with my urgent guys :D it was only a repel but for 3 of us that was damm good. sorry I had to bail so early, its almost the end of uni year so there is a lot going on. should be on from 7 onwards GMT tonight and tommorow night tho, then I can finally do high rank stuff with you guys and get my mind blown by joe :lol

Haunted

What's the best way to get Adv (and Hard) Armor Spheres? High Rank volcano mining or doing random High Rank Quests?

Mairu said:
The new egg delivery event quest is amazing. I have like 430k now after doing like 6 runs. Definitely going to farm this some more tomorrow so I don't have to worry about armor upgrades.
What are the rewards for this quest?

Mafro

EU - B1GT8N - Mafro (Mafro)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
What's the best way to get Adv (and Hard) Armor Spheres? High Rank volcano mining or doing random High Rank Quests?

What are the rewards for this quest?
Doing random High Rank Quests at the volcano... the one where you need to deliver a hot sontes always gives some, i think. The fact that you can mine before also helps.

botticus

Haunted said:
I've gotten a bunch of those (Adv) from low-rank volcano mining.

Belated thanks to kinggroin and Wedge (GAF?) for the entertaining hunts last night. 5 hours is about my limit. :lol Perhaps with those additional Rathalos runs under my belt, I'll be able to get through him offline. Not optimistic though.

oracrest

NA - 1HYN5T - Aegryn (oracrest)

Meesh

Quick question, does anyone work on the offline stuff, or did you guys start the game online? I've put 105 hours in and that's mostly offline, going online feels dreadful...I'm Hr9 and on star 2 quests...maybe I'll have better luck this evening. :(

Leezard

Evilink said:
Quick question, does anyone work on the offline stuff, or did you guys start the game online? I've put 105 hours in and that's mostly offline, going online feels dreadful...I'm Hr9 and on star 2 quests...maybe I'll have better luck this evening. :(
I pretty much finished the game offline. Needless to say, I could solo my way up to 3*. During the later part of 2* I did get in a group though, it went much faster grinding that way.

Kyoufu

Evilink said:

I don't understand. What part of it is dreadful? Do you mean the Hunter Rank grind to advance in tiers?

Mafro

Good afternoon of hunting. Did the Jhen Moran quest with some folk and got Elder Dragon Blood. Decided to forge a Volt Axe, then a Volt Axe(R) to replace my Tough Break(R). Looking BALLIN' with matching full set of armour and weapon.

Also finally upgraded the farm which I've been completely neglecting up until now. Got a nice flow of money now thanks to cultivating Stormsender Seeds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whaaat, is it another sandstorm?

I'm gonna get on, need to kill a few Gigginoxen for my gun upgrade, then I'm free to help with ANYTHING online. :)

Duress

I don't know if plates are common when you're higher up but we did the urgent to get to HR 40 and a Rathian Ruby and two Rathian Plates, ended up dropping. Not in one run but over 3 runs.

Poyunch

Evilink said:
I used to alternate between offline and online. When it comes to weapons I didn't forge the SA or LS until I received them offline because I didn't want to feel like I was "cheating". I sometimes play monsters first online (I know this is a bad thing to do) so that I can get comfortable playing against them alone offline.

Now that I've finished the offline "campaign" I really only go there to farm resources and commodities.

Tenbatsu said:
A very powerful long sword after awaken and one of the few rare ones with 3 slots. Tessaiga looks cooler thou.
At least Sinister Saints looks somewhat cooler than the Pirate J weapon. Only somewhat though. In a perfect world I could have both. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think that's a bad idea. Playing monsters online first and relying on your instinct with a little bit of help is a great way to learn their habits for soloing them.

Poyunch

Hawkian said:
I don't think that's a bad idea. Playing monsters online first and relying on your instinct with a little bit of help is a great way to learn their habits for soloing them.
But it's bad for the other players if you're doing horribly. :lol Oh and it sort of ruins the surprise of meeting the monsters firsthand offline even though I already knew each monster before the game got localized.

Mafro said:
Also finally upgraded the farm which I've been completely neglecting up until now. Got a nice flow of money now thanks to cultivating Stormsender Seeds.

Excellent. For those of you not already using their farm, listen to this man. Abuse the hell out of it

Speaking of things people should be abusing yet don't, why is it when a monster starts limping/swimping/flying off to its final area most players insist on going all LEEROY JENKINS! on its ass and charging after it? Is letting it go to sleep considered too unsporting?

Leezard

I don't like my luck at the moment. I destroy Lagi's head every game, yet I never seem to get a horn+, though I get an average of one plate per hunt. :/

kinggroin

Banned
botticus said:
I've gotten a bunch of those (Adv) from low-rank volcano mining.

Belated thanks to kinggroin and Wedge (GAF?) for the entertaining hunts last night. 5 hours is about my limit. :lol Perhaps with those additional Rathalos runs under my belt, I'll be able to get through him offline. Not optimistic though.

It was a blast! I'd hop on now, but I don't have the stamina to do anything after last night (played till 4:30am).

botticus

kinggroin said:
It was a blast! I'd hop on now, but I don't have the stamina to do anything after last night (played till 4:30am).
Yeah, that's two Friday nights in a row I've done that. It's a dangerous game.

I'll still plan to be on a bit after dinner. Getting closer and closer to HR31.

Niblet

PounchEnvy said:
So how exactly does Moxie work? I've never seen it take effect.

The 1st time during a hunt you take enough damage to cause your character to faint you will instead survive with one HP.

RedSwirl

Rented this game for a few days. Sorry guys, but I had to drop it pretty quick. I can take resource-gathering and mundane questing up to a certain point (big Phantasy Star Online fan), but six hours without actually hunting a monster in a game called Monster Hunter? Couldn't join any online games either in the time I had with the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
RedSwirl said:
Rented this game for a few days. Sorry guys, but I had to drop it pretty quick. I can take resource-gathering and mundane questing up to a certain point (big Phantasy Star Online fan), but six hours without actually hunting a monster in a game called Monster Hunter? Couldn't join any online games either in the time I had with the game.
Your loss.

Once it starts, you're good for life.

RedSwirl

Brazil said:
Your loss.

Once it starts, you're good for life.

I might rent it one day later but I have no freaking clue when that's gonna be. I've got enough on the plate to probably last me another two years, including three other loot whore games.

selig

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I might rent it one day later but I have no freaking clue when that's gonna be. I've got enough on the plate to probably last me another two years, including three other loot whore games.

See, there are MH-players like that, yeah.
But personally, I mever "whore loot" while playing.
I play for the event of the hunt itself. I set myself a goal for what kind of armor or weapon I´d like to achieve, but never do I start the game just to grind some monsters.

So, maybe you should just get this mindset out of your head and play without thinking about "loot". I wouldn´t have as much fun if all I did was care about loot. And really, quitting the game before at least killing a Great Jaggi is just weak.

botticus

So I was told that Carbalite Ore is a high-rank gather, but when would I be able to start finding it? Pretty quickly after hitting HR31, or is it some tier higher?

I've been aiming for Qurupeco+ armor and Gigas Club since I first looked at the wiki, but the damn game is structured so well that I only get one step closer to my goal with each rank up.

Ridley327

Carbalite is obtainable from mining spots in every high rank level quest, so you don't have to worry about it too much. It's fairly common, too.

Alex

I've gotta ask, considering the entire single player campaign is about a truncated 15-20 hour affair, I sincerely question what the hell you were doing for six hours? What the hell are you gathering at the start of the game? I was doing the boss hunts about 30 minutes in. Tri is a pretty streamlined experience, the gathering quests are pretty pointless nowadays.

(big Phantasy Star Online fan)

Yeah, I can tell! Apparently when you're not roped in by neon bars and just told to walk forward and tap-tap-tap, PSO diehards seem to have some issues in ORPGs! :p It's just a trend I've been noticing!

botticus

Ridley327 said:
Carbalite is obtainable from mining spots in every high rank level quest, so you don't have to worry about it too much. It's fairly common, too.
Awesome! Thanks.

NA - Q7TGUV - Botticus (botticus) - HR25

I'm looking for some Uragaan Scutes, but otherwise just killing time and monsters till my rank and urgent pop up.

selig said:
See, there are MH-players like that, yeah.
But personally, I mever "whore loot" while playing.
I play for the event of the hunt itself. I set myself a goal for what kind of armor or weapon I´d like to achieve, but never do I start the game just to grind some monsters.

So, maybe you should just get this mindset out of your head and play without thinking about "loot". I wouldn´t have as much fun if all I did was care about loot. And really, quitting the game before at least killing a Great Jaggi is just weak.

That's how I play. I'm always happy to upgrade this or that but it's not my goal. I like to hit the monsters with the drops I need while playing but it's not a priority and I don't farm. It makes the game a lot more fun I think, and a lot less monotonous.

What's the point in rushing?

Alex

For low rank, no one really cares because it's just that easy. For high rank, most folks farm because they like to have a line of contextual equipment. It's fun and it makes a big difference, it's also courteous to the party to show up with proper gear.

I'm more of a farm type, because I'm just as interested in the RPG and spreadsheeting of things as I am the hunting, although I don't really min/max. This is also though because if I do not absolutely have to, I play 2-op instead of 4-op.

Though none of this is really meaningful in Tri since the bosses to support it just are not there. By the time you'd be getting to the plateau where it'd start to matter somewhat in MHFU, Tri is over. Due to it's short length and low head count it also has a problem with things getting really grindy way too fast, that's something a few of my friends certainly chirped in on.

Speaking of grindy, I'll certainly be absolutely thrilled to be able to put some arrows in Alatreon's horns in Freedom 3, or bullets too since they'll unfuck Bowguns again, thank you god. Breaking those is more than a bit silly in my setup currently.

iamcenok

NA - 8QFB6A - Cenok (iamcenok)

gamelova

oracrest said:
mhtri.jpg

Wow. Quite a lovely design.

Top Bottom