• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

selig

Banned
DragonGirl said:
That's how I play. I'm always happy to upgrade this or that but it's not my goal. I like to hit the monsters with the drops I need while playing but it's not a priority and I don't farm. It makes the game a lot more fun I think, and a lot less monotonous.

What's the point in rushing?

Exactly.
And it´s quite funny to help beginners with a Qurupeco or Royal Ludroth and beating the damn thing in under 2 minutes with your acquired skills wand weapons :D

Meet my first hacker today.

Was in a dual Barioth quest and collected honey for a minute and a half at the start. When i got to the room one of the bari's spwaned in 3 minutes into the fight, its tail was cut and a teeth already broken. It died 2 minutes after that.

In all, the quest took 13 minutes total. Blew my mind until one of the guys told me the other was hacked in IM.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Gamer @ Heart said:
Meet my first hacker today.

Was in a dual Barioth quest and collected honey for a minute and a half at the start. When i got to the room one of the bari's spwaned in 3 minutes into the fight, its tail was cut and a teeth already broken. It died 2 minutes after that.

In all, the quest took 13 minutes total. Blew my mind until one of the guys told me the other was hacked in IM.
I hope Capcom catches those types.

NA - PHGM6H - janice (shaheed79)
HR - 9

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Average gafer is probably 31+ by now lol. Still if some of u are still near my rank I would be happy to play with you.

In order of how good I am from best to worst I use SA, GS, SnS, LS and Lance. I guess I'm suppose to grind until I'm level 18

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Thanks to Lance and Alien Manobo for babysitting me today- got all of my key 3*'s done!

GriffD17

Just picked up a Wii yesterday and included this game in my splurge. Looks like a very deep game. I have a very simple question there, is there a simple lock on button, or will I just get used to the combat without it?

Kyoufu

GriffD17 said:
Just picked up a Wii yesterday and included this game in my splurge. Looks like a very deep game. I have a very simple question there, is there a simple lock on button, or will I just get used to the combat without it?

You get used to it without it. Monsters have certain body parts that will need precision from you to break/cut.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GriffD17 said:
No lock on. Game doesn't hold your hand in any way, and you'll get used to it after your first boss monster.

john tv

Anyone up for a few hunts? I have no KB today (urgh) so can't chat much, but will have one again tomorrow. Looking to get my fix, it's been like 2-3 days now. :) I'm on now if you're interested!

RedSwirl

Alex said:
I've gotta ask, considering the entire single player campaign is about a truncated 15-20 hour affair, I sincerely question what the hell you were doing for six hours? What the hell are you gathering at the start of the game? I was doing the boss hunts about 30 minutes in. Tri is a pretty streamlined experience, the gathering quests are pretty pointless nowadays.

Being locked into a list of quests that involved gathering mushrooms, mining ores, searching bones at the bottom of the sea, and occasionally fishing. Not a single actual monster hunt in sight.

Kyoufu

john tv said:
MH overload? :)

And then some...

doesn't help that its really warm here so I have literally no energy in me to play games, especially monhun :p

will def be back soon though. got 1200 shock traps to burn!

john tv

Alrighty, I'll play offline for a while. I'll be back later/tomorrow if anyone else is up for some high-level stuff. I wouldn't mind farming some of the new event quests. :)

Pretty much done with the game @ 150 hours in, killed everything, got all the weapons/armors I care to get.

Overall I'd say this game was one iterative step forward and 2 steps backwards compared to 2ndG & Dos.

markatisu

Anyone going to be around in 1hr or so? I am trying to grind to HR31 but am willing to do pretty much anything

Been offline for a few days due to a death in the family

Ridley327

MickeyKnox said:
Pretty much done with the game @ 150 hours in, killed everything, got all the weapons/armors I care to get.

Overall I'd say this game was one iterative step forward and 2 steps backwards compared to 2ndG & Dos.

MH3 lets me use a controller that is nothing like the PSP, so it overcomes a lot of objections that I might have. I do agree with the general assertion that the endgame content just isn't all that compelling due to them not bothering to make new models for the high rank armor or have more than three new monsters to take on (one of which is essentially an event quest through and through), yet Ceadeus is offline exclusive for some baffling reason.

I cannot stress, though, how much of a plus that being able to use an actual controller again is for me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ridley327 said:
MH3 lets me use a controller that is nothing like the PSP, so it overcomes a lot of objections that I might have. I do agree with the general assertion that the endgame content just isn't all that compelling due to them not bothering to make new models for the high rank armor or have more than three new monsters to take on (one of which is essentially an event quest through and through), yet Ceadeus is offline exclusive for some baffling reason.

I cannot stress, though, how much of a plus that being able to use an actual controller again is for me.
I agree with your points.

Monster Hunter Tri G, please, Capcom.

selig

Banned
Well, let´s hope for MH3 G.

Anyway, played the Ratha and Rathi-quest some time ago, unfortunately, one of my party members was killed when we almost had it. Then they all left. Meh. Hope to do that one again.

Ridley327 said:

The controller thing is a non-issue, I never had any issues controlling the PSP versions and controller to controller, the responsiveness of the analogue stick in Tri is worse than the nub or the dualshock2, demonstrated perfectly by the arm wrestling barrel in town, not to mention the stupid decision for foraging to supercede an unsheathe that uses the A button (I'm looking at you SwitchAxe)

And the meat of MH has always been content, which this game (as a third installment not just an expansion) is sorely lacking in.

Also it's disappointingly easy.

Ridley327

You may not have an issue, but there are people who would prefer to not have both hands afflicted with Carpal Tunnel; I do bad enough with just one.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
john tv said:
Alrighty, I'll play offline for a while. I'll be back later/tomorrow if anyone else is up for some high-level stuff. I wouldn't mind farming some of the new event quests. :)
Are you on now?

dsister44

Ridley327 said:
You may not have an issue, but there are people who would prefer to not have both hands afflicted with Carpal Tunnel; I do bad enough with just one.

same, after borrowing a friends PSP and this game the only reason i'm not buying a psp and the next game is because of the controls

Ridley327

dsister44 said:
same, after borrowing a friends PSP and this game the only reason i'm not buying a psp and the next game is because of the controls

It's not even the game's fault; the PSP is just really ill-equipped to handle intensive bouts of camera management, whether it be for a shooter or an action game that requires you to have it available at all times, like MH or MGS:pO. There simply is no such thing as a happy medium on the PSP unless you go with an automatic camera system a la God of War, which simply could not work for MH. If that means I'm saying that 4 million Japanese players can be wrong, then so be it.

john tv

Lonely1 said:
Are you on now?
I had to get offline, got company coming over today. Will def be back tonight and tomorrow morning (I'm on US east coast time now for the next 11 days or so). Definitely up for grinding event quests -- I need to get to HR 50 already. I'm at like 44 now I think.

Ridley327 said:
It's not even the game's fault; the PSP is just really ill-equipped to handle intensive bouts of camera management, whether it be for a shooter or an action game that requires you to have it available at all times, like MH or MGS:pO. There simply is no such thing as a happy medium on the PSP unless you go with an automatic camera system a la God of War, which simply could not work for MH. If that means I'm saying that 4 million Japanese players can be wrong, then so be it.
All physical bullshit being equal, Tri is only better than the very first MH, and both are eclipsed by Dos and it's portable cousin.

Kyoufu

Ridley327 said:

Eh...after 1500 or so hours of PSP MonHun, I strongly disagree. I've had no problems with camera control.

botticus

schuelma said:
Thanks to Lance and Alien Manobo for babysitting me today- got all of my key 3*'s done!
Oh, that's why I don't have my urgent quest yet - forgot to actually look at the key quest notes. Hope everyone is looking forward to helping me with Gigginox today!

Then I think it will be Uragaan until I get to high-rank. Need my scutes!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is Long Sword actually in the game? I always play that in MHFU, and it's in the manual, but I don't actually see it in the game.

Ridley327

Y2Kev said:
Is Long Sword actually in the game? I always play that in MHFU, and it's in the manual, but I don't actually see it in the game.

This is annoying, but you have to unlock the four-star quests offline in order to gain the option to forge them. Also, you have to wait for the Argosy Captain to make port for the option to unlock. You sadly can't cheese it like you could for Switch Axes.

Also, I need to clarify that I don't think it's impossible for someone to get used to the controls of the PSP games; what I am saying is that it is impossible for me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Kyoufu said:
Eh...after 1500 or so hours of PSP MonHun, I strongly disagree. I've had no problems with camera control.
Haven't tried any MH PSPs. But my hands get tired easily while playing PSP games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kyoufu said:
You unlock it after clearing 3* offline.
Do quests you complete online carry over to offline? I've never actually played Mohun online in all my time playing MHFP2 and U.

Ridley327

Y2Kev said:
Do quests you complete online carry over to offline? I've never actually played Mohun online in all my time playing MHFP2 and U.

They do not, which I'm to understand is a glaring omission from the PSP games. The unlocks for Switch Axes and Long Swords is the only real thing that both modes share beyond your character.

Guild and Elder missions have always been separate entities. The closest thing to an exception of that rule is the clearing of every elder quests in order to unlock elder dragon guild quests.

Kyoufu

Y2Kev said:

No but if you don't want to do anything offline, you can just go online and use the blacksmith there. Everything is unlocked from the start online.

Mafro

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - B1GT8N - Mafro (Mafro)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Boney

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Bah, the only reason to go offline is to manage your farm for shit you can't buy. If you want to lay off the village quests you might as well.
I also liked soloing monsters. Especially if it´s your first time fighting them. Can´t do that anymore since high rank stuff breaks SP.

Meesh

Leezard said:
I pretty much finished the game offline. Needless to say, I could solo my way up to 3*. During the later part of 2* I did get in a group though, it went much faster grinding that way.
hmmmm...my problem is getting in a group altogether, I don't have Wii speak and I'm a slooooooooooooow typer, everyone's gone by the time I've said hello. Maybe I'll finish the game offline before I do too much more online...bah, I dunno...I love collecting so the only way to complete shit is to go online...gaf, what's a MH n00b to do????????????????

Top Bottom