• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hiltz

Just started to get back into Monster Hunter Tri.

Took on a Barroth solo event quest in online mode but I forgot that all of the boss monsters have way more hp! Lost the first time due to time limit but took me 45 minutes to finish it off after a second try using fire-based long sword.

I'm only at HR 9 and recently finished a couple of the lvl 2 quests.

Darvan

Well am about to login after I complete this episode of Naruto if anyone would like to join that'll be great.

Name: Darvan
ID: E3CU1Z

Poyunch

Nicktals said:
Just hopped on!

EDIT: Anyone on or getting on soon?
Bah got busy with Battlefield Heroes and offline farming. I think I'm all gamed out for today.

edit: I think I can play for a few hours.

I got my leather pants last night!

Now im rocking my eye patch, leather jacket and pants, with a Jho belt with torso up. Monster hunter is all about looking cool. : )

Poyunch

That was an intense Rage Match. I didn't even think it would be possible for three players. Also I guess I should work on upgrading to Alatreon Gleam since my attempts with Hammer and SA against Jho have been mixed. Plus I thought it would have been impossible because I thought it would have required Skypiercers.

ajim

Nicktals said:
Try DMZing your Wii. That fixed those problems for me.
Yeah, that did the trick, thanks.

However, a follow up question: I'm using a Belkin router and it had an automated DMZ option (I can select one ip to set to dmz), however, my bro brings his wii around and we setr them both up, with two tvs and play from my net, and he has trouble connected due to belkins limitation of only being able to set one ip in DMZ :S. Is there anyway to manually set another wii up in DMZ on a Belkin router?

Cheers.

Poyunch

It's so hard to find a good group of randoms for Ala but no one seems to be on anymore. Three failed Ala attempts. One good run and one horrible run.

Man was that run horrible. First off in the middle of the quest one of the players dc's. We can manage still with two sleep weapons and a LS user. LS dies twice. Somehow this guy ran out of pots before the second death because I told the guy to heal and he said he had no healing items left. I give him half of my potions and he still manages to die for a second time. I'm starting to get pissed at this guy and I tell him to stay in the safe zone. He does. Now it's only me and a sleep lancer fighting Ala. Late in to the quest the lancer runs of of steaks. I can't help him because I only carry Mega Dash Juice on Ala runs so the LS user runs off. Right now I'm just totally afraid that he's going to die again so late into the quest but luckily I finally kill it before he manages to even get close.

It doesn't sound so bad but the quest obviously took longer than a normal sleep bomb quest so I definitely wouldn't be happy failing this quest.

Now today I decide to try again since I want to upgrade to Gleam and I need a gem. I eat and get Felyne Strongcat, Felyne Polisher, Felyne Pyro, and Ultra Lucky Cat. Those are some awesome skills. I look for a sleepbombing room for twenty minutes and being the desperate person I am I take what I get. A sleep lance, an Ala hammer, and I think a para LS. Whatever.

Now the quest wasn't that great. Everyone was running everywhere and the LS user wasn't doing anything except signaling to those rocks where Ala's horns can get stuck. This bothered me but typing this out now I guess it's important for the LS so that he can build up his spirit gauge. Really the thing that pissed me off though was the lance user. All the guy did was charge. I'm not even talking about when attacking. He tried charging during Ala's falling ice attack which was really stupid because the icicles were aimed at him. Fuck. Eventually he gets hit twice and he only has a sliver of health. But that's not all. He dies three times. One of those times was because he was running away for like thirty seconds (time that he could have used to heal) until he walk on some "hot" flooring and died from the heat.

-_-

Anyone heading on? I'm in a room twiddling my thumbs wanting to kill something. Lousy day at work, need to either brutally slaughter virtual animal or pet my cat. If nobody heads on I guess I'll just have to settle for option 2.

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Anyone heading on? I'm in a room twiddling my thumbs wanting to kill something. Lousy day at work, need to either brutally slaughter virtual animal or pet my cat. If nobody heads on I guess I'll just have to settle for option 2.
I can be on.. pet your cat inthe mean time, I just got from a petting session with my pup.

Poyunch

DragonGirl said:
I'm heading on now!

edit: And that's why you don't play with randoms. :)

OK, so I've got my urgent to defeat Jhen Mohran. My partner and I have been trying this for about ten times and no luck. Here's a rundown of what we're doing.

-Cannonballs whenever possible
-Abuse the binding ammo on the ballista
-Ballista ammo only if he's out of range of cannons
-If one person can climb him they do so to attack his weakpoints
-More cannonballs
-Dragonator (I wish this thing would recharge faster) when it's available and we always nail him on both opportunities (while sailing and the final encounter)
-Dragon gong when we can use it

We always run out of time.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
OK, so I've got my urgent to defeat Jhen Mohran. My partner and I have been trying this for about ten times and no luck. Here's a rundown of what we're doing.

-More cannonballs
-Dragonator (I wish this thing would recharge faster) when it's available and we always nail him on both opportunities (while sailing and the final encounter)

You are only two people? That's the problem.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
I know Alex has done this only with his MH partner.
You are unnecessarily gimping yourself. Is your partner high HR level with op weapons? if not, odds are you are bound to have much more frustrations than necessary.

About what you can do to improve. Use the ballista all the time and target its horns until they are broken, then its legs. I dunno if its more effective on a 2 player only scenario than cannon spam, but that stuff is done in order to have a smooth killing. If your player is indeed high HR and has a good dragon/ice weapon, he should forget the cannon when Moran is in range and just smack it.

Poyunch

Man what an awesome night. I carved two ala gems. I think I got like three or four Jho gems from various rewards and carves. More importantly we got sweet sweet revenge on Jho and three skypiercers appeared! Congrats guys on those piercers! ^_^

Sorry I couldn't help out Ace especially since you won't be hunting (for a while?). :(

Poyunch

Lonely1 said:
SOunds good Punch Envy, should I come back to this game? Is been a while, :(
I'm not sure. More hunters would be great but I'm actually going to stop playing this game (so much) once Other M comes out so I can try to complete it before my Fall Semester begins (I don't want to have too many distractions so probably no more hunting).

I can't speak for everyone else though. It's definitely not as active as it was during launch so more hunters is always a good thing. :)

edit: And I guess it's a good time to get back since there's a lot of new stuff since you stopped playing.

Nicktals

Banned
taking a quick trip to the bar...be back on at some point! should be between 45 at the soonest and an hour and 30 at the latest!

I'm probably not going to be around much this weekend. It's time to count down to the release of Metroid Other M. I have seven features dedicated to the Metroid series going live starting tomorrow at n-sider and I still need to finalize and upload three of them so I'll be busy with that this weekend. If I do head on it'll be in the evening.

Poyunch

DragonGirl said:
I'm probably not going to be around much this weekend. It's time to count down to the release of Metroid Other M. I have seven features dedicated to the Metroid series going live starting tomorrow at n-sider and I still need to finalize and upload three of them so I'll be busy with that this weekend. If I do head on it'll be in the evening.
No you ruined the surprise! I didn't want to know what it was until you posted it. :O

Lonely1 said:
You are unnecessarily gimping yourself. Is your partner high HR level with op weapons? if not, odds are you are bound to have much more frustrations than necessary.

I don't like playing with people I don't know well. And no, my partner is the same HR as myself.

About what you can do to improve. Use the ballista all the time and target its horns until they are broken, then its legs. I dunno if its more effective on a 2 player only scenario than cannon spam, but that stuff is done in order to have a smooth killing. If your player is indeed high HR and has a good dragon/ice weapon, he should forget the cannon when Moran is in range and just smack it.

What I was reading online said that cannons do twice the damage as the ballista. But it's better to break things? We'll try it again later.

PounchEnvy said:
No you ruined the surprise! I didn't want to know what it was until you posted it. :O

Well, you can still be surprised. I'm not just doing a bunch of retrospectives. Each article will have a bit of a different focus.

Poyunch

Dragona Akehi said:
I don't like playing with people I don't know well. And no, my partner is the same HR as myself.

What I was reading online said that cannons do twice the damage as the ballista. But it's better to break things? We'll try it again later.
Aww come on and play with us. We're usually pretty welcoming especially to other gaffers (and friends of them).

DragonGirl said:
Well, you can still be surprised. I'm not just doing a bunch of retrospectives. Each article will have a bit of a different focus.
Well I look forward to those!

Solune

Dragona Akehi said:

From your other post it seems like you're doing most things right.
I would suggest when you're able to climb that both of you jump on as hitting his weak spots does massive damage especially with impact weapons and breaking them.
If you have Dragon or Ice weapons use them if you aren't already.
In the final stage are you attacking his arms and breaking them? You'll deal more damage this way instead of just firing ballistas and cannons.

Nicktals

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I don't like playing with people I don't know well.

The Gaf room usually is quite good. I'm not saying you should frequent it every night, but if you absolutely need help for something, it's where you should go. There are usually only 1 or 2 in there at all times...but if you go on at peak times (between 7 and midnight EST) there are usually 3-6 on, and they're almost always respectful and fun.

EDIT: Although I think your plan of going though with one other person that you know well, and just getting really good at the monster, sounds like a like of fun.

EDIT 2: Ace you suck why do you sleep?

Boney

Banned
I didn't go to bed.. my disc failed me 3 times and I just said fuck it.. forgot to leave a notice.

Fun Ala fight guys!

I really don't mean to be rude, but with online games I really don't play them with others that I don't know exceedingly well. It's just a strange quirk I have.

I really do appreciate all of the advice though. I'm sure it'll help.

Tenbatsu

Dragona Akehi said:

-More cannonballs

Felyne Bombardier and the armor skill transporter will help too.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ok, so i just got the game on wednesday, and i just killed lagi. How is the online? Im a bit afraid to try it.

Parallax said:
Ok, so i just got the game on wednesday, and i just killed lagi. How is the online? Im a bit afraid to try it.
The rookie servers are pretty good from what I recall. Assuming you're only playing with people you don't know, the real rough patch online happens after reaching high rank (HR30) and lasts until you hit HR51 or so.

Dragona Akehi said:
OK, so I've got my urgent to defeat Jhen Mohran. My partner and I have been trying this for about ten times and no luck.
If you are doing this quest with just yourself and your partner, you will probably want to watch a solo jhen run on youtube to see how to maximize damage. Doing it with 1 or 2 people, there's little margin for error for what is otherwise a long and boring quest :/.

Poyunch

According to the community site NA will be getting the Barioth/Agnaktor arena tomorrow. I need dem Agna coins! Also Diablos/Ura starting the 29th. I need like nine Uragaan coins. :(

Also tomorrow we should see a new event against Los and Lagi in the Land Arena. Nothing special except A LOT of Timeworm Charms!!! No more mining! Woo!

Top Bottom