• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'll have to probably go online this weekend- cannot wait to hunt with gaf!

njean777

Ok I am a complete noob at this game. So I have a couple of questions of somebody is willing to help.

1. Is the only way to make money by doing quests? I think you can sell items, but I have no clue what I can sell and what I shouldn't.

2. Should I be buying new weapons or upgrading my bone scythes?

3. In the multiplayer (3ds) do I have to invite people to play or is there a way to just join others?

4. What is the deal with the trade ship? Is it massively important because the town is treating it like it is...

Boogiepop

Upgraded to some sweet axe Dual Blades and took on Barroth. He went down surprisingly easy, only clearing me once, and only then because I was being reckless (and also forgot to bring along Mega-potions). Crazy to think how much trouble he gave me the first time around in Tri.

I think that when you transfer saves, it overwrites the entire save (meaning all three slots) on the destination system.

Is it all 3? I thought you could just do one at a time.

Doesn't matter though, I just want to check out some HD monster hunter action for tonight anyways. Should be fun, plus knowing my luck this character will be on a cursed table lol

Ok I am a complete noob at this game. So I have a couple of questions of somebody is willing to help.

1. Is the only way to make money by doing quests? I think you can sell items, but I have no clue what I can sell and what I shouldn't.

3. In the multiplayer (3ds) do I have to invite people to play or is there a way to just join others?

4. What is the deal with the trade ship? Is it massively important because the town is treating it like it is...
1. Go to your item box and select "combine" or something, you will find the "sell" option there, you can sell monster scales, they are quite easy to get.

2. I would say forge a monster weapon and go from there, don't bother with iron and bone stuff.

3. I don't know!

4. You are living in a fishing village out of all places, of course they are important. :p No really, they are not. Unless you want to farm things like Sleepyfish (combine item to make Sleep Shots LVL 2). It doesn't hurt to have a few extra items though!

Unicorn

Perhaps this extends beyond the knowledge of everyone here, but let's say:

1) I buy a 3DS XL tonight.
2) Immediately download Monster Hunter
3) Wait for my SD card to arrive (within the next week)
4) Attempt to transfer my data from my 3DS to the 3DS XL

What will happen to my MH purchase? To the content from my old 3DS on that 3DS? To the content transferred to the 3DS XL? To my digital purchases on my old 3DS and my ambassador games? Do I need to download everything first on the old 3DS to transfer over to the XL? Do I just copy the SD contents onto my computer, then paste them to the new one, when it arrives? Can I merge the data of the two stock SD cards?

Why is this so goddamn complicated, Nintendo?

I must say, I've fallen in love with the Hunting Horn. As a Hammer user there are some similarities, although it plays quite differently in reality. Using it as a utility weapon in a group is fantastic. Giving unlimited stamina use and defensive buffs are just as appealing as it sounds. I was worried I would spend too much time just trying to play songs, but you can able combo the songs into your fighting really easily for the most part. I'll stick with the Hammer when I solo, but I'll definitely consider the Hunting Horn for any co-op missions from now on.

I tried it in the demo and it seemed very interesting. I really feel like I need to pick up a second weapon too as I only use the Great Sword exclusively.

Doorman

Answered already but I figure I'll throw in my two cents anyway:

1. Your major source of income will be from completing quests, yes, although you can also sell stuff as mentioned earlier. The most lucrative things to sell would be parts from the large monsters you hunt, for instance if you've already crafted whatever you wanted to use Great Jaggi parts for, you can sell off whatever excess you have and pick up some pocket money that way too. Thing is...you'd get the parts by beating monsters, via quests. So it all kind of circles around itself.

2. Generally as you progress through the game, you'll likely spend more time upgrading than you will just forging new stuff. The things you buy or originally forge typically lay at the early end of most weapon trees.

3. Don't have the 3DS version, so I'm not quite sure how that aspect of it works, sorry.

4. The Argosy isn't a huge deal, really. When you fill out the hunt report with Junior after freehunting Moga Woods (what you do to gather resource points), you'll gain commodities based on the monsters you killed. The Argosy allows you to trade those commodities in exchange for special items, or things that you would normally have a harder time getting. By killing large monsters (Great Jaggi and so forth), you'll sometimes get "rare commodities" which you can trade for the bigger special stuff, like fishing fleet upgrades and new dances for Cha-Cha. None of it is really essential to progress through the quests, but they can be fun or at least come in handy later.

njean777

1. Your major source of income will be from completing quests, yes, although you can also sell stuff as mentioned earlier. The most lucrative things to sell would be parts from the large monsters you hunt, for instance if you've already crafted whatever you wanted to use Great Jaggi parts for, you can sell off whatever excess you have and pick up some pocket money that way too. Thing is...you'd get the parts by beating monsters, via quests. So it all kind of circles around itself.

2. Generally as you progress through the game, you'll likely spend more time upgrading than you will just forging new stuff. The things you buy or originally forge typically lay at the early end of most weapon trees.

3. Don't have the 3DS version, so I'm not quite sure how that aspect of it works, sorry.

4. The Argosy isn't a huge deal, really. When you fill out the hunt report with Junior after freehunting Moga Woods (what you do to gather resource points), you'll gain commodities based on the monsters you killed. The Argosy allows you to trade those commodities in exchange for special items, or things that you would normally have a harder time getting. By killing large monsters (Great Jaggi and so forth), you'll sometimes get "rare commodities" which you can trade for the bigger special stuff, like fishing fleet upgrades and new dances for Cha-Cha. None of it is really essential to progress through the quests, but they can be fun or at least come in handy later.

Can you constantly grind the big monsters? Like repeat the quests?

Anybody on right now wanna go Hunting? I'm pretty newbish still, only got the G.Jaggi set and very little experience, but I'm cool to just tag along.

Emitan

Switch-Axe for life. Coolest weapon ever created.

Yup. I wish the axe mode did impact damage or something though. Would probably completely unbalance it though.

Cha-cha disappeared. Do I have to progress in my quests for him to come back or if I do old quests will he return?

Oh I misread his question, he was talking about the trade ship!

Mupod

Can you constantly grind the big monsters? Like repeat the quests?

Yes, you can repeat pretty much any quest as many times as you want. The only exceptions are a couple of one-off story missions in the singleplayer and you can fight those monsters again in other quests.

You generally need to hunt something several times to make its armor or weapons.

Filth

Yup. I wish the axe mode did impact damage or something though. Would probably completely unbalance it though.

Cha-cha disappeared. Do I have to progress in my quests for him to come back or if I do old quests will he return?

progress!

Dreavus

Quick question: Are online "cities" still only 4 players maximum? In MH3 on Wii the framework for bigger lobbies was there, but it was limited to 4 players apparently because of the Wii speak stuff.

dubq

Why do some armor pieces have no skill table? Ie: the jaggi vest has no values in the skill table, but the jaggi mail does..

Filth

i need some tips for the carrying the 2 power stones quest. can i take the short cut or will it make me drop the stone? also is full health the only thing i need?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I hope the transfer app is up early tomorrow, because I'll be available for play all day.

p.s. I love Wroggi cloths for fighting Gigginox. Fear no poison.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, this is the game that finally got me to buy a full title on the eShop. I held out for Fire Emblem, but this one is sold out everywhere around me and I'm impatient, so its downloading now

Beats

I can't figure out for the life of me how to side step or forward step with the lance. I always dash backwards.

Side step is just dodge + left or right on the stick after you attack. I don't think there's a forward step though. But I'm not sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom