• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just fought a Royal Ludroth for the first time.

That was the first monster where I was like "oh damn" when the fight started. Those guys are intimidating when you're underwater, where he stayed for probably 60% of the fight, which took me a sold 30 minutes. Is that normal? I feel like he didn't show as many signs of dying as other monsters, so there wasn't as clear of an indication as to how I was doing. I died once, probably 2/3 of the way through.

Infinite

That was the first monster where I was like "oh damn" when the fight started. Those guys are intimidating when you're underwater, where he stayed for probably 60% of the fight, which took me a sold 30 minutes. Is that normal? I feel like he didn't show as many signs of dying as other monsters, so there wasn't as clear of an indication as to how I was doing. I died once, probably 2/3 of the way through.

What weapon were you using?

They are water creatures. Sometimes they like to spend a lot of time on land and sometimes a lot of time in water. it depends on where they are. You just keep hitting til it begins limping. If it's not clear for a while, then maybe your weapon isnt doing much damage or you're taking a while to hit it. It is your first time, so dont worry much about it.
But I've always enjoyed fighting them.

Ridley327

That's kinda unusual; Royal Ludroth tends to stay on land, since he's considerably more dangerous there than in the water, which nerfs his mobility a great deal. He's like a reverse Lagiacrus.

Infinite

They are water creatures. Sometimes they like to spend a lot of time on land and sometimes a lot of time in water. it depends on where they are.
But I've always enjoyed fighting them.

Using a Lance feels kinda cheap against water goers when they are under water. Abuse that tactic since tri

Fewr

Where in the eShop is it? HALP
search for "transfer" and bam!

By the way, if anyone needs to delete character data (the tool asks for this if you're trying to migrate to a system with character data already in it) you go to the options menu then hold L + R + X for a few seconds.

SA is completely different from GS. GS is all about doing unsheath charge attacks and then resheathing, while Switch Axe allows you to pull off combos, hit from a longer range, do a horizontal swipe to clear smaller enemies, and in sword mode is less prone to bouncing plus has the phials which give it extra functions in sword mode. It's highly versatile, whereas GS is more of a one trick pony with a huge emphasis on knowing your enemies' patterns and timing your hits, and being able to block.

With SA it's not uncommon to keep your weapon out for a while, with GS if you're not sheathing after nearly every hit, you're probably doing it wrong.

I don't feel that is necessarily true. GS is my main weapon and when I sheath depends on the given situation. It is important to sheath a lot, but not after every swing. If I can do a quick dodge roll to my opponent, that will be much quicker than sheathing, running, and then attacking

Have not had time much to play the game but damnn...As a first timer that damn querpeco? Bust my ass. Got carted twice then some big ass dragon come to join us, he worked me and damn. I think I should do some more easy quest and stuff before fighting him again...goddamn that big dragon made it scary as fuck!

Hattori

Banned
Have not had time much to play the game but damnn...As a first timer that damn querpeco? Bust my ass. Got carted twice then some big ass dragon come to join us, he worked me and damn. I think I should do some more easy quest and stuff before fighting him again...goddamn that big dragon made it scary as fuck!

I feel so left out, not once did I encounter this scary dragon

I feel so left out, not once did I encounter this scary dragon
I think I wouldve beat it for not for that thing. The first area he landed in querpeco bounced and so did I. Then later he comes and join and querperco just decides to stay Im like wtf? lets go! But he was stubborn and I died. :(

Ridley327

It is always, always, always a good idea to have Dung Bombs handy when fighting Peco. Whatever it winds up summoning with its imitation call can be repelled with just one. You can also use Sonic Bombs to drown out the imitation call, but that's pretty tricky to pull off.

Ridley327

Arzuros is easy, but he never fails to make me smile. He's a slightly less adorable Winnie the Pooh.

His roar when he raises his arms at you <3

Fewr

Wait, how does this work? Hiw do ibtransfer from 3ds to wiiU? I have both tools installed

Edit: manual
1. Make sure there are no characters on the receiving system (in your case Wii U)
2. On Wii U go to the main menu and select data transfer; on 3DS open the transfer tool and tell the thing you want to transfer FROM 3DS TO Wii U (I thought it was a bit confusing to notice which was the option I was choosing, to confirm one of the assistants repeats what you're trying to do in a subtle way)
3. On 3DS should appear the Wii U to connect to, press the button.
4. Wait for transfer (about 30 seconds) and done.

Again, if the receiving system has character data already in it, the transfer tool will say you must delete it before proceeding. All you have to do is go to the options menu (options menu of the game, NOT transfer tool options), hold L + R + X and confirm you want to delete ALL data on the receiving system.

What weapon were you using?

S&S. Commander's Dagger with Steadfast Jewel 1. Also, I'd been using a hammer most of my playtime, but wanted to give S&S a shot(Royal Ludroth was the first time I used it since the first hour or so of the game) because the hammer is tough to line up hits with and I thought I might play better with a faster weapon.

fates

Yeah Qurupeco has a lot of buddies he likes to call in. One of them is actually really friendly and can't wait to meet you.

Anyways, making quick work of most things. Farming now for Rathalos and Barioth armor and Barioth weapons. I was surprised at the revamped Gigginox, it's definitely a lot more dangerous than before. Duramboros took me by surprise too, actually triple carted there the first encounter until I got the Hammer out.

Smooth sailing...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Arzuros is easy, but he never fails to make me smile. He's a slightly less adorable Winnie the Pooh.

His roar when he raises his arms at you <3

Agreed, I really love his design. Very colourful and full of personality. Nibelsnarf, as his name would suggest, is very cute as well.

BooJoh

I don't feel that is necessarily true. GS is my main weapon and when I sheath depends on the given situation. It is important to sheath a lot, but not after every swing. If I can do a quick dodge roll to my opponent, that will be much quicker than sheathing, running, and then attacking

True, but this depends on your armor skills too. A lot of GS users go for Punishing Draw and Critical Draw, which greatly improve your unsheath attacks compared to just swinging your weapon, not to mention some Greatswords even have high damage but negative affinity to work with this. I don't know how far back your experience in the series goes, but this is basically what I've come to understand of GS from playing MHFU and Tri.

Fewr

I'm a complete noob so I thought why not, digital version for $7.20 with the coupon.

http://t.co/U7USDq7Cca

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/314765399055028224

Has anyone else tried this guide? Do you recommend it?
Product Details:

Zipped high resolution PDF compatible with any portable reading device
Over 50 pages of informative content covering all Monster Hunter titles to date
Features tons of original color illustrations
Bonus item combination primer highlighting several important item combinations
EDIT II: Oh nice! Item combo primer (free, pdf): http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0176/5800/files/MHBGCombo2012-Freebie.pdf?351

EDIT: In case anyone missed the links to wikis:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50968908&postcount=4758

fates

and do you vets allow noobs to join games to grab some good loot or is that a no-no?

Not playing 3U online, so I dunno how the "rules" work now... but what you are describing was called "leeching". Almost unanimously frowned upon unless you were a close friend or something with the others.

If you want to grind materials with others, pitch in to the fight as much as you can. Don't go off mining and stuff.

Had a particularly bad case of this when someone Farcastered on Alatreon as soon as the battle started and sat in the camp the whole time. We kept kicking him when he tried to carve it because that was bullshit.

Doorman

Odd question, but where's a good place to find dung?

As EvilMario said, you get it as a resource by freehunting aptonoth in Moga Woods. Alternatively, there is a dung pile in area 8 of moga woods that you can collect it from. In Tri I think you could gather a near-infinite supply of it there...if you wanted.

By the way, if anyone needs to delete character data (the tool asks for this if you're trying to migrate to a system with character data already in it) you go to the options menu then hold L + R + X for a few seconds.

I was trying to figure out how to do this, also it needs to be pointed out that you do the L+R+X in the options of the MH3U game not the tool. Thanks, Fewr!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As EvilMario said, you get it as a resource by freehunting aptonoth in Moga Woods. Alternatively, there is a dung pile in area 8 of moga woods that you can collect it from. In Tri I think you could gather a near-infinite supply of it there...if you wanted.

Yeah, I forgot where that huge pile of shit was. :p

So, should I just buy Monster Hunter now on my regular 3DS, then wait until the 32gb SD card comes in the mail to buy the XL and transfer over?

So when you do a system transfer it just tells has you pull the SD card out of your 3DS and put it in your XL. So it doesn't really matter. At some point you'll have to plug the SD cards into the computer to move everything over to the 32 gb. But it's irrelevant as to if you do that before or after the transfer.

EDIT: Erm, woops. Didn't realize I was replying to a post a few pages back.

Tik-Tok

I dont understand the skills in this game at all. Where can I read about how all that works and the armour and stuff. I understand that my armour sets all contribute towards 'unlocking' a skill through their point value but I don't really understand how to read the shop/crafting menu stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I dont understand the skills in this game at all. Where can I read about how all that works and the armour and stuff. I understand that my armour sets all contribute towards 'unlocking' a skill through their point value but I don't really understand how to read the shop/crafting menu stuff.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Armor_Skill_List

This is your friend for skills.

You need to reach the plus value in the points column to activate the skill shown on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom