• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

The transfer app goddamn better be up when I get home.

Anyways, got full Volvidon really quickly. Needed a 1 slot charm to be able to have Attack up M, Evade+1 and tremor resistance so I went charm hunting.

3 powderstone delivery quests (mining everything in the volcano) later, I had one useless gunner charm to show for it. Then I give up and decide to go mine pelagicite in flooded forest to make the ancient mask, and I get 4 charms out of ONE mining node. What. One of them had a slot so now I've finally got an armor set. Poor Rathalos isn't ready for this.

Madouu

Noob question: where/how do you change your weapon??? I don't remember picking sword/shield.

in the village, enter your house and go to the big storage box in there. There should be an option to manage your equipment, you can switch weapons there.

edit: too late! I think I must've forgot to refresh this page while browsing gaf haha

Unicorn

Perhaps this extends beyond the knowledge of everyone here, but let's say:

1) I buy a 3DS XL tonight.
2) Immediately download Monster Hunter
3) Wait for my SD card to arrive (within the next week)
4) Attempt to transfer my data from my 3DS to the 3DS XL

What will happen to my MH purchase? To the content from my old 3DS on that 3DS? To the content transferred to the 3DS XL? To my digital purchases on my old 3DS and my ambassador games? Do I need to download everything first on the old 3DS to transfer over to the XL? Do I just copy the SD contents onto my computer, then paste them to the new one, when it arrives? Can I merge the data of the two stock SD cards?

Why is this so goddamn complicated, Nintendo?

So, should I just buy Monster Hunter now on my regular 3DS, then wait until the 32gb SD card comes in the mail to buy the XL and transfer over?

L Thammy

So, thus far I have:

- Kicked an Arzuros to death after misplacing a trap
- Staggered a Great Jaggi and knocked another flat with the same attack
- Had a quest suddenly complete itself when several Ludroth killed each other for no reason

And here I thought the early game was supposed to be boring.

Filth

The transfer app goddamn better be up when I get home.

Anyways, got full Volvidon really quickly. Needed a 1 slot charm to be able to have Attack up M, Evade+1 and tremor resistance so I went charm hunting.

3 powderstone delivery quests (mining everything in the volcano) later, I had one useless gunner charm to show for it. Then I give up and decide to go mine pelagicite in flooded forest to make the ancient mask, and I get 4 charms out of ONE mining node. What. One of them had a slot so now I've finally got an armor set. Poor Rathalos isn't ready for this.

that sounds like a great setup for my lance, with my +10 autoblock charm

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Trying SA for the first time...Feels like GS with super mode? Is it a weaker weapon outside of that burst mode? It's fun, just feels a bit samey.

blackflag

No, that's not what I meant. From Tri to 3G solo play it feels like the health totals dropped

Oh ok, yeah I have only had time to play through Barroth but yeah they all seem to die quicker.

Online though the only thing I fought was Royal Ludroth and it took a long time, not sure if that was just because 2 of them were using bows and 1 was using dual swords but it didn't seem nerfed at least.

Unicorn

so... uh... is the default 2gb card with the 3DS not big enough for this game?

KuGsj.gif

Hope you enjoy my 40$ Nintendo...

Boogdud

Why do the fonts suck SO bad for the 3ds? It's hard to read in 2d or 3d, it looks like the font was another resolution entirely and they downscaled it badly, now it's just a jaggy mess.

I don't have a wii U but seeing vids of it, the fonts are clear and easy to read.

:(

Doorman

No, that's not what I meant. From Tri to 3G solo play it feels like the health totals dropped
I definitely think that they dropped the Great Jaggi's health in solo play. Arzuros wasn't in Tri but he seems to have no health whatsoever. For what it's worth, though, I think that Qurupeco and Royal Ludroth feel like they're pretty close to what they were health-wise. Maybe dropped a little bit, but not the same level of hit that GJ took.

So, thus far I have:

- Kicked an Arzuros to death after misplacing a trap
- Staggered a Great Jaggi and knocked another flat with the same attack
- Had a quest suddenly complete itself when several Ludroth killed each other for no reason

And here I thought the early game was supposed to be boring.

Monster Hunter has some wonderful oddity moments about it, definitely. Maybe it's just me, but in Tri the normal Ludroths always seemed to be the king of trolls when it came to just generally fucking about, getting in your way for stuff.

Unicorn

so... uh... is the default 2gb card with the 3DS not big enough for this game?

KuGsj.gif

Hope you enjoy my 40$ Nintendo...

Yeah, so the maximum free space I can have right now is 11,906 blocks. MH3 is 14,275.

So, I'm currently in a forced "delete shit" menu. is my purchase saved? is it tied to the SD card or the 3DS on-board memory? Can I have multiple SD cards with data for one 3DS, so when I DO transfer, I can transfer from multiple cards?

fuck, I should've realized.

Oh ok, I still have 39.99 in my wallet. that's good.

Boogdud

Sure, if the distance between the tv and the player is no more than 20cms.

That sucks, it's one thing they've never gotten right, in like a bamillion re-iterations of the game. For a game with this much text you'd think they'd make it legible. Every time we get a new one I think, "They'll probably make the fonts easy to read finally!". Then, disappoint.

Anybody else having a hell of a time getting into rooms? I mean, I can get into them fine...but most of the time people are already on a quest, or it's a solo player gone AFK. That and I don't have anybody I know who plays and the Gaf rooms either never exist or are completely full =\

Fewr

Yeah, so the maximum free space I can have right now is 11,906 blocks. MH3 is 14,275.

So, I'm currently in a forced "delete shit" menu. is my purchase saved? is it tied to the SD card or the 3DS on-board memory? Can I have multiple SD cards with data for one 3DS, so when I DO transfer, I can transfer from multiple cards?

3DS XL includes a 4GB class 4 SD card. I bought one for my sister this weekend and noticed (I got the normal Red XL).

Purchase I think is tied to 3DS, so when you buy XL you have to do something to migrate licenses (again, I think).

Yes, you can have multiple SD cards with data for one 3DS, if you follow this guide:
http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2012/01/19/how-to-upgrade-your-nintendo-3ds-sd-card/
The guide is about migrating your data from one SD card to a new one, but in theory you could use it to have two or more SD cards for the same 3DS. (as long as all of them have the "key" you paste from your old SD card to the new one)
I haven't tried using two SD cards, I have only transferred data, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Anteo

Yes your purchase is saved. Your SD is tied to your sistem and as long as you don't format your 3ds you can redowload. THe transfer is only when you want to change 3DS, if you want to change SD card just go to your pc and copy everything to the new card.

BooJoh

Trying SA for the first time...Feels like GS with super mode? Is it a weaker weapon outside of that burst mode? It's fun, just feels a bit samey.

SA is completely different from GS. GS is all about doing unsheath charge attacks and then resheathing, while Switch Axe allows you to pull off combos, hit from a longer range, do a horizontal swipe to clear smaller enemies, and in sword mode is less prone to bouncing plus has the phials which give it extra functions in sword mode. It's highly versatile, whereas GS is more of a one trick pony with a huge emphasis on knowing your enemies' patterns and timing your hits, and being able to block.

With SA it's not uncommon to keep your weapon out for a while, with GS if you're not sheathing after nearly every hit, you're probably doing it wrong.

Unicorn

Saves get deleted if you delete a digital game btw.

Yeah, I noticed that before I deleted Kirby Star Stacker and Etrian Odyssey 4 demo.

re-downloading the ambassador games now. Going to back up on my pc, then try and find a bigger SD card lying around... for now.
Yes your purchase is saved. Your SD is tied to your sistem and as long as you don't format your 3ds you can redowload. THe transfer is only when you want to change 3DS, if you want to change SD card just go to your pc and copy everything to the new card.

Thank you.

I just drunk-impulse-bought the 3DS version. The only MH game I've played is the original PS2 one, and I was terrible at it. How fucked am I?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
SA is completely different from GS. GS is all about doing unsheath charge attacks and then resheathing, while Switch Axe allows you to pull off combos, hit from a longer range, do a horizontal swipe to clear smaller enemies, and in sword mode is less prone to bouncing plus has the phials which give it extra functions in sword mode. It's highly versatile, whereas GS is more of a one trick pony with a huge emphasis on knowing your enemies' patterns and timing your hits, and being able to block.

With SA it's not uncommon to keep your weapon out for a while, with GS if you're not sheathing after nearly every hit, you're probably doing it wrong.

Interesting - I was never a GS player, but the little I toyed with it, that's how it felt. Obviously, I was doing it wrong! I'm going to play around with it a bit more. It feels like a neat alternative to my Lancing.

Doorman

I did I didn't see what he said. Do I have to forge or upgrade something now?

There should be an option for "villager request" on his menu below the usual weapon and armor things. You'll see a form to deliver the ore and be able to turn it in.

Not sure why they worked it that way when I think literally every other village request is run through Junior, but whatever.

Am downloading the relay app atm. Will be ready in a minute,

Save me a spot i need to clear hr1

Going to join now. Hunter name is Rudeboy.

No prob guys, just start talking. Im at my PC but I'll sure hear you when you come in and start yelling at me. I've BARELY done any HR1, so please be kind with me.

EDIT: Well, we're full up then. We'll be waiting for you guys for a bit then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom