• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Was so glad I could map or double L and R to ZL and ZR. Controls feel a lot more natural.

Hoping the Off-TV play patch comes soon. Have had the desire to play this in bed instead of my evening sessions of Fire Emblem and Harvest Moon.

Using a set of chainmail armor at the moment. However I've been staying away from the Great Jaggi quest on purpose as I try out more of the weapons and get even more of a feel for them. Also just collecting and storing various resources via free hunt, fishing and the farm.. Might go after him this weekend finally.

Is there a place to activate Streetpass in-game? I loaded it up and then went to the 3DS settings and Monster Hunter isn't listed in the list of games set for streetpass.

Fewr

Is there a place to activate Streetpass in-game? I loaded it up and then went to the 3DS settings and Monster Hunter isn't listed in the list of games set for streetpass.
Talk to the cat that takes you to the town with the lighthouse, once there you'll find another cat which will ask if you want to turn on street pass.

Hattori

Banned
damn the 3DS version is really underwhelming, Wii U is definitely the way to go. that font is giving me a headache, and seems like the load times are slightly slower too

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just played some local multiplayer with a friend who flew in from PAX. I was on Wii U, she was on 3DS. We were both HR 1 so we settled on Peco. We're both still early in the game, we basically used up all our potions (in fact, she had only played for an hour on the trip over), and it seemed certain we would fail out after using two continues with Peco not limping and always calling Arzuros, but at the 38 minute mark, with one fully charged swing of my Great Sword (God I love this weapon), I finished him off.

First time playing MH multiplayer locally and man, I can definitely see what Japan loves about these games..

Gabeking

I've never played a monster hunter game in my life, but this looks fucking awesome! A few questions though, Is the monster variety good enough in this game to keep me entertained for awhile? Same question goes for the weapons as well.. Is there anything else to do besides just hunting monsters and crafting? I'm talking about side quests, mini games, etc.. And is there a USA 3ds bundle for this game or no? Thanks in advance!

So I only have a 3dsxl right now (probably wont get a wii until the next price drop), tried the demo and it seemed interesting. Is it worth playing the entire game solo on my 3ds? Or should I hold off until I have a Wii U to play online?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Protip to newbies - always always always harvest honey. Potion + Honey = Mega Potion.

Also, I really love the survival meta. I'm always gathering and making free roam trips just for ore or herbs or bugs. It's a nice change of pace from the hunting side.

Ugh, what am I doing wrong? I keep running out of time on Qurupeco. I've tried with my Lance and Hammer. I usually get him down to severe limping with about 5 minutes left, but he keeps just getting away from me.

Teknoman

Tap the touchscreen icon for Chat, and it'll bring up the digital keyboard interface.

Alternately, you can turn on the mic on the same part of the menu and just voice chat.

Oh so you can turn mic on and off? I'm going to be using one of these:

jOCgUpmulZ7wn.jpg

Im guessing chat and certain menu sounds will come through the headphones and music/everything else through the TV.

depward

Ugh, what am I doing wrong? I keep running out of time on Qurupeco. I've tried with my Lance and Hammer. I usually get him down to severe limping with about 5 minutes left, but he keeps just getting away from me.

Sounds like you need a stronger weapon. Go mine some ore that you need to upgrade the power of whatever weapon you're using.

Teknoman

Keep it painted and work as fast as possible. Either that or just upgrade your weapons?

Dying can take a lot of time out of your quest. So make sure you dodge appropriately. On of the best things to stay away from is his flint strikes. Also, use dung to keep other monsters away.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've never played a monster hunter game in my life, but this looks fucking awesome! A few questions though, Is the monster variety good enough in this game to keep me entertained for awhile? Same question goes for the weapons as well.. Is there anything else to do besides just hunting monsters and crafting? I'm talking about side quests, mini games, etc.. And is there a USA 3ds bundle for this game or no? Thanks in advance!

On mobile, so my answers will be short.

1) Read the OP - lots of monsters in this one. Large monsters are your "boss" type monsters. Each one has its own personality. Some subspecies share similarities as you'd expect, but each one is an individual with tactics and style very specific to it.

2) OP should say, but you can find the stats on weapons and armor via google. Tons of sets. Like, loads. And with all the upgrade paths, you'll be busy for a while. Even more exciting is how different every single weapon feels and plays. Find what suits you.

3) Not really, no. Hunting and gathering. You can farm, but it's more select what you want to grow, go do quests, come back and take it from the farmer. This game is all about hunting monsters!

4) Not that I'm aware of, no.

That being said, MonHon isn't for everyone. The animation based combat is slower than most games and has a steeper learning curve than what most gamers are used to. Of course, if you are inclined to stick with it, the series is insanely rewarding, as skill is EVERYTHING.

Dying can take a lot of time out of your quest. So make sure you dodge appropriately. On of the best things to stay away from is his flint strikes. Also, use dung to keep other monsters away.

I'm using the Bone+ hammer and the iron lance+

EDIT: Also, he doesn't kill me, so I don't think that's my problem.

Ridley327

Oh so you can turn mic on and off? I'm going to be using one of these:

jOCgUpmulZ7wn.jpg

Im guessing chat and certain menu sounds will come through the headphones and music/everything else through the TV.

That's the headset I have! It's pretty awesome.

You are correct; by default, certain sound effects and voice chat will pump through the GamePad speakers or headset, but you can switch it so that all audio goes through them instead.

Sqorgar

Banned

Yes, there is enough monster and weapon variety to keep you entertained for a while. The boss monsters (of which there are 50 or so) each have their own patterns, reactions, weaknesses, and abilities. The approach you use against one monster may end up getting you killed against another. So, it's really not a case of press-x-to-win. Not to mention the multiplayer aspect.

There's a few systems above and beyond hunting and crafting, like a farm, upgrading your companions, sending out fishing boats, specialized arena battles, villager quests, and stuff like that - but by and large, this is a game about hunting monsters. Everything else is primarily about getting the proper tools and resources to survive and succeed at hunting.

There's no 3DS bundle in the US that I know of.

rockx4

Just finished the Qurupeco mission and holy shit it took forever. Most of my hits did no damage unless fully sharpened. It took me 40 minutes :(

How do me and my friend plsy online? We are at the port seeking companions? He is on my friend list...

From Moga Village, talk to the cat who takes you to the port and select Network to play online. I'm not sure but I think the other options are for local multi player between a wiiu and the 3ds. Once online you can open the menu and join any rooms your friends create.

Just finished the Qurupeco mission and holy shit it took forever. Most of my hits did no damage unless fully sharpened. It took me 40 minutes :(

Was it sharpened to green or yellow? I can get by with yellow but once you get rid of the starting weapons and get a weapon with the max is green is a worlds difference.

Ken

Gotta run to the bank. Will be back in an hour or so for more if anyone's still on.

Was fun!

Also electricity means next hit stuns you.

rockx4

Was it sharpened to green or yellow? I can get by with yellow but once you get rid of the starting weapons and get a weapon with the max is green is a worlds difference.

Sharpened to green, but the problem is I was using those Jaggi dual blades, which have like a smidge of green. I upgraded afterwards but went through the fight with the dual jaggi blades.

Also a question, will I have to forge a few different weapon types for different monsters? Or can I just stick with one weapon type for everything.

Also a question, will I have to forge a few different weapon types for different monsters? Or can I just stick with one weapon type for everything.

Just play with what you feel you're the best at. It's better to have one great weapon that you can use well. As you played, that mission was quite long but it was the weapon more than your lack of skill.

LtOrange

How can I clear all the data on the 3ds version? I want to transfer my wii u stuff onto the 3ds but since I have a different save on it I am not allowed to.

Whats the best set up for farming Barroth? I want to get his armour and make an Assualt Axe. What is he weak too? and what armour is strongest against him? haha

Also, I need some Dragonite Ore and Monsterbone+, but I dont think I can get that in the 4 star quests yet?

Whats the best set up for farming Barroth? I want to get his armour and make an Assualt Axe. What is he weak too? and what armour is strongest against him? haha

Also, I need some Dragonite Ore and Monsterbone+, but I dont think I can get that in the 4 star quests yet?

I dont usually farm Barroths, so I'm not exactly sure, having a hammer is great for breaking his head, but you'll also want to cut his tail.

And Dragonite Ore is super easy to mine at the volcano summit.

He's weak to fire. You can make the Qurupeco hammer, which has fire element and is a pretty good hammer all around for some low rank stuff. You can make the Rhenoplos armor set which is good against his mud attacks (they'll be negated).

You can get Dragonite Ore from the Volcano mining spots. Monster Bone+ you can carve from Barroth's tail (23% chance, IIRC) and pretty much any big monster will offer them in rewards.

Teknoman

That's the headset I have! It's pretty awesome.

You are correct; by default, certain sound effects and voice chat will pump through the GamePad speakers or headset, but you can switch it so that all audio goes through them instead.

Awesome, 100% ready to go online later tomorrow then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom