• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzon

Duramboros took me over 40 minutes. And I was even using the proper element...

Took Us about 45 minutes then some guy went and died 3 times in a row. A real test of endurance.

That thing is so derpy though. The tiny legs, the tail swing. I was laughing my ass off the first 10 minutes.

NeoRausch

I must have a magical harddrive or something.
people were clamoring that the install on the Wiiu takes almost as long as the download but mine installed in like 20 min.

anyway, time to get that transfer tool to a good use!

Faced my first durabouros of whatever its called, with a team that was kicking all kinds of Bari and lagi butt for an hour. This thing took them down. Two of them ran out of potions in the 40 minute fight and me and the other dude brought it to sleeping/limp. That final rage mode took out two dudes, the final death being an across the room jump tail slam. It was a beautiful move had we not been so close to it being over.

Sigh.

The next quest I picked rathian and destroyed it without being hit once while carrying the team. It was an awesome redemption. Then the rewards sucked.

Dam you drop fairy. I was riding high after so low...

I dont usually farm Barroths, so I'm not exactly sure, having a hammer is great for breaking his head, but you'll also want to cut his tail.

And Dragonite Ore is super easy to mine at the volcano summit.

He's weak to fire. You can make the Qurupeco hammer, which has fire element and is a pretty good hammer all around for some low rank stuff. You can make the Rhenoplos armor set which is good against his mud attacks (they'll be negated).

You can get Dragonite Ore from the Volcano mining spots. Monster Bone+ you can carve from Barroth's tail (23% chance, IIRC) and pretty much any big monster will offer them in rewards.

Didn't know his tail could be cut! I will get on that I guess. I'd rather not make and learn how to use hammer, but it's good to know he's weak to fire, I assumed he was since the armour you make from his parts has low fire resistance. I've got a Bone Smasher that's fire damage, so I will bring that with me.

I will make Rhenoplos armour though, it looks kind of goofy so I wanted it anyway!

Thanks for the tips! I haven't seen any Monsterbone+ yet, but I've just entered the 4 star stuff. And I haven't gotten the volcano area yet, but it's good to know I will be able to get dragonite ore easily.

This text for the 3DS version is unbelievably blurry and jaggy, they really need to patch it or do something. One hopes there won't be another app needed for that >_>

But truly the worst font I've seen in any game I've ever played.

Ken

Ah never mind, still HR1. Guess I need to host my own urgent to get it completed?

Anyone want to help me get it?

Icarus

Rathalos and Rathian plate drop rates for the lose. :(

Need em both for my next dual sword upgrade (blue sharpness) and they're too damn rare.

Pineconn

Took Us about 45 minutes then some guy went and died 3 times in a row. A real test of endurance.

That thing is so derpy though. The tiny legs, the tail swing. I was laughing my ass off the first 10 minutes.

Heh, mine was solo. I was able to break his face and his back, but damn. Apparently you should attack the hell out of his back humps when he goes down, so that might make a difference. He also drained almost all of my potions...

Halfmunch

Sharpened to green, but the problem is I was using those Jaggi dual blades, which have like a smidge of green. I upgraded afterwards but went through the fight with the dual jaggi blades.

Also a question, will I have to forge a few different weapon types for different monsters? Or can I just stick with one weapon type for everything.

To help speed up the hunt take a pitfall trap and a shock trap with you, and some large barrel bombs. Place the bombs down when you set the trap and use a spare paintball to detonate for massive damage.

Then attack with Dual Swords, you can enter "Demonization mode", this mode allows you strike faster, deal more damage, and resist Wind Pressure and certain attacks. While in this mode, hitting triangle and circle at the same time will initiate a combo that will not bounce on contact.

You can only carry one of each trap but you can bring supplies to make more while on the hunt.

Is there a way to disable whatever crazy local connection elements the 3DS version is using? While playing I can't be online (ie, see what friends are on) among other things. It's really frustrating, especially because no one in my area will be playing this.

Message I got was something like "Cannot add friend because suspended game is using a local data connection"

Also have to say, game looks way blurrier than I expected but perhaps because I'm coming right from the Wii U version. Has actually made me appericiate the latter much more than I thought I ever would.

Edit: The underwater sections are so awkward to play, why haven't they released the XL model circle pad in NA :/

Eusis

Man, it's annoying the text situation's terrible regardless of platform. So tiny on Wii U I just sort skim past it because it's too annoying to read, and on 3DS too blurry from other impressions and my demo experience. :/

Man, it's annoying the text situation's terrible regardless of platform. So tiny on Wii U I just sort skim past it because it's too annoying to read, and on 3DS too blurry from other impressions and my demo experience. :/

I've actually been surprised by complaints about the text in the Wii U version in regards to size but I suppose I do play on a 50 inch tv.

Madouu

Yeah it's too bad, especially since the localization in my opinion is really good. I don't have much of a problem with the text though, it is tiny but readable for me. I see how it could be an issue for some though.

Eusis

I've actually been surprised by complaints about the text in the Wii U version in regards to size but I suppose I do play on a 50 inch tv.
Well, it's plenty legible (the problem on 3DS actually seems to be they picked the font Wii U first, then threw it on 3DS anyway without seeing how legible it really was there), but it just bugs me it takes such a small part of the screen. Maybe if I played it on a computer monitor rather than a further away TV it'd be OK.

Or there's just something about how they handle the text that makes me want to just zoom past anyway.

Yeah it's too bad, especially since the localization in my opinion is really good. I don't have much of a problem with the text though, it is tiny but readable for me. I see how it could be an issue for some though.

I mostly notice it with just the character text... Which I really dont care about.

burgerdog

I keep getting error code: 106-0614 when I try to join random games. I can host a game and people can join, as well as join random Need For Speed games so I'm not sure why it's giving me problems here.

Mazzo

I keep getting error code: 106-1614 when I try to join random games. I can host a game and people can join, as well as join random Need For Speed games so I'm not sure why it's giving me problems here.

Maybe the city has room for you but the server don't? It happened to me while searching for a city hunting a specific monster. (edit: dunno if it was that specific error code)

Vee_One

I know very little about Monster Hunter but want to get into it, should I be getting it for 3DS or WiiU. I understand the WiiU version has more online functionality.

DJIzana

I know very little about Monster Hunter but want to get into it, should I be getting it for 3DS or WiiU. I understand the WiiU version has more online functionality.

I'd say support the Wii U. 3DS is doing fine on its own and if you have a Wii U may as well get the most out of your experience anyways.

Madouu

I didn't know much about monster hunter before jumping in with this version of the game. I went with the wii u version, Online + dual stick making it easier to control for a beginner convinced me. HD textures are nice too.

Filth

I didn't know much about monster hunter before jumping in with this version of the game. I went with the wii u version, Online + dual stick making it easier to control for a beginner convinced me. HD textures are nice too.

the game is pretty awesome. :D

bitoriginal

The text on the 3DS is kinda screwed. You can get it looking perfect, but then every other sentence will look blurry. It's really weird.

Also, import the CPP XL, game is nigh on unplayable for me without it.

idk what i did/if I even did anything wrong but cha cha is gone in my single player game and I dont know how to get him/her/it back

I dont know if I'm even supposed to have cha cha but I remember him being around before I went to the town and now he's missing i think

game is fun for my first monster hunter though, im doing some single player to get gear and stuff up before I hop online. killed a quropeco and a lagombi with some friends but hitting yellow max on my weapon sharpness was awful.

I feel like dual blades are going to get replaced but i dont know by what yet. Gunlance seemed cool but i dont know if i'm doing it right. I might just go sword and board

Kiraly

In my time (MHF2), Long Swords were the weapon to go for in the beginning as a newbie, has that changed?

Excited to pick this up.

Fighting the Duramboros reminds me why I love MH in the first place. Its so exhilarating and the feeling of triumph when you fell a beast such as so. Despite doing fairly well throughout the whole fight, it took a long time to actually kill him. But it was great!

Nohar

Well, the game is indeed way easier than Tri at the beginning, though it could be argued that with the introduction of the G rank they revamped the difficulty accordingly.

Anyway, the hunts are still fun, though I have to admit that I'm disappointed by the Arzuros, which is really slow and which goes down quickly. Oh well, at least the Lagombi is more interesting to fight (his dual swords are kinda nice too, and have a way better green sharpness than the Jaggi ones).

Currently playing Light Bowgun and Dual Swords, though I really need a good Bowgun with a lot of piercing shots, not one with tons of pellet shots (for solo, it's awesome ; for multiplayer, it's not, and most HR1 monsters are way too small to use pellet shots safely, without making other players trip). I managed to unlock the Gobul and Rathian ones, the first being really great for its Paralyse 1 shots and the second being very useful overall. I still need to craft a good armor though (I'm still wearing the Jaggi one... Sure, I unlocked Attack +2, but I really want something better).

Peru

I finally got time to launch the game after downloading it this morning (EU 3DS), and to do the whole date and time spiel that hopefully leads to a good table. No more time though, have to head out again and it hurts. Tomorrow I will force in some game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom