• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
First time I faced Jaggi was in the Tri demo. Kind of a pushover with that armor, Peco took me soooooo much longer to beat.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yea the tri demo gave you all iron stuff right?

Can't remember but it was a lot better than the armor you'd normally have the first time facing him. Guess that balanced out the annoying 20 min limit.

I think you should make the OT.

FuqnPhm.gif

Gala

The waiting is killing me. I don't even know what to do until next friday. Watching the livestreams that pop up now is so much fun!

I will propably go to a sale nearby and look if there are any (3)DS games for my future 3DS backlog I can buy in advance.

Kouriozan

Yay he did it, and he is happy too, I guess that's the spirit of MH.
When you're able to do things like that you're proud of yourself.

... he forgot to carve.

So, I barely know anything about monhun but I played the demo and destroyed the lagombi. Are bows/guns super easy to use in multiplayer when someone else is beating on the monster?
How hard is it to change class/weapons?
You don't have to pick a class, you can forge and use whatever weapon you want to.

And bows/guns are advanced weapons, monsters will target you sometimes, it's just like playing with Cha-Cha and Kayamba (single-player partners).

Chuckpebble

So, I barely know anything about monhun but I played the demo and destroyed the lagombi. Are bows/guns super easy to use in multiplayer when someone else is beating on the monster?
How hard is it to change class/weapons?

Don't think of it as class, but just different weapons you can use. There are however some balance measures in place because obviously, ranged weapons keep you further from attacks. Bows and guns require gunner armor which is weaker and have different skill sets. But that's the only barrier between going melee and ranged.

Gunner also has some added complexities in the form of inventory management and, almost required, on the fly item combination. I recommend getting comfortable with it though, I did Tri all gunner from the start and it really paid dividends in the end game.

Hoodbury

Yay he did it, and he is happy too, I guess that's the spirit of MH.
When you're able to do things like that you're proud of yourself.

Every time you kill a monster for the first time you should be fist pumping the air like he did. Always a great accomplishment.

Doombear

I hope some of the newer entrants to the series are watching this Eurogamer stream! No reason to be intimidated, we were all this guy at one point, some of us more recently than others is all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hope some of the newer entrants to the series are watching this Eurogamer stream! No reason to be intimidated, we were all this guy at one point, some of us more recently than others is all.

Nah I was always awesome. :D

...except for not knowing how to make armor until 50 hours into the game...

Disguises

Nice OT :D. Is it possible to add some nice looking screens or videos in? (Especially the "epic" trailer and the new "battle" one. That way newcomers can come in and see the compelling textures and monster hunting in action. Was kinda surprised there's none there to be honest!

Still unsure how to purchase this. I was thinking download on 3DS and Disc for Wii U? I kinda like having the digital version always accessible...but I want a box. Damn... 1 week left to decide.

Hoodbury

yeah, the guy had a glorious moment. at least he got that one carve;) but then his inventory was full ahahah

His inventory being full was kinda fitting for the end of the video, heh. Inventory management 101 for newbies, what you should bring on each hunt so you still have room to collect your carves.

His inventory being full was kinda fitting for the end of the video, heh. Inventory management 101 for newbies, what you should bring on each hunt so you still have room to collect your carves.

Often I have wished for an opportunity to create "loadouts" that you can just select and it fills your inventory with the proper bits and bobs that you need/want for a particular region/monster/mission.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Haven't played MonHun in quite some time, but I am stoked for this. Gonna try to tag along with Gaffers as much as possible because I wanna leech off your expertise! Added my infos to the spreadsheet.

Nohar

I'll add myself as soon as I get my Wii U... Which is next week.
I'll have to train a little: I'm a little rusty. It will be a pleasure to play with you, fellow hunters.

Filth

I played Tri every night with gaffers. Anyone remember philthy ? I'd like to play with the same group of guys. Had some funny times lol

Often I have wished for an opportunity to create "loadouts" that you can just select and it fills your inventory with the proper bits and bobs that you need/want for a particular region/monster/mission.

That would be awesome. I can't even count how many times I got onto a map and realized I didn't even bring hot/cold drinks. Had to leech some off my brother a lot in those cases =(

That would be awesome. I can't even count how many times I got onto a map and realized I didn't even bring hot/cold drinks. Had to leech some off my brother a lot in those cases =(

Usually makes for some hardcore survival moments but...sometimes it means you simply have to bail on a quest and start over. : /

Hoodbury

Usually makes for some hardcore survival moments but...sometimes it means you simply have to bail on a quest and start over. : /

Blue box should always have the kind you need. Not enough to last you 50 minutes though. but if you complete a sub-quest then it usually adds more of them to the blue box.

Or ya, just quit and start over.

Rize_21

Is it ok to post gameplay videos here?it's no World Guiness Record's kind of things,but I'd like to share a funny run I had against the Plesioth in the demo.

Any truth to this YT comment?

"The hammer is generally considered the best weapon for average skill level players because knockouts make for a nice positive feedback loop, making hunts faster and easier after you have the basics of hammers down."

Mugaaz

"The hammer is generally considered the best weapon for average skill level players because knockouts make for a nice positive feedback loop, making hunts faster and easier after you have the basics of hammers down."

Hammer has always been top tier, so yes. However, the difference between the tiers is pretty small. Youre looking at a 2-3 minute difference between different weapon types at most. The weapons are not perfectly balanced, nor have they ever been. Hammer has consistently been toward the top end. The difference between X vs Y is so small though, not sure why people make such a big deal about. Theyre not even, its not a big deal.

also

Banned
I may get the 3DS version in the following weeks but after completing both hunts in the demo I have a few questions.
I'm not a fan of water battles, how prominent are they in the full game?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the difficulty of the Plesioth fight from the demo compared to the encounters in the full game?

I tried Sword and shield and while it's fast, it seems kind of weak. Double blade seem like a more offensive version of S&S and the demon gauge keeps things interesting but they too seem weak, though I did manage to beat Plesioth with them. The great sword seems really powerful but it's too slow for my liking. I tried the long sword and I love the range and Fade Slash but, unlike with the Switch Axe, it didn't feel that good and it seems that the more erratic monster would make it really hard to fill the sword gauge to gain the attack bonus. I'm not ready to write it off completely, though. The lance seems too slow and boring and the bow felt off. I still have to try the other weapons but right now Switch Axe is my prime candidate. It seems to have a nice balance between range, power and agility, not to mention that unleashing an Element Discharge Finish into a monster's face feels great. The range was also a life saver while battling under water. Is it a good weapon for soloing or should I look into maining something else?

Yeah, hammers have always been top tier in MH games, along with lances. Great swords creeped up there ever since the leveled charges and critical draw were introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom