• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

It's pretty rare for me to change away from my classic door-minder avatar, but this feels like an appropriate occasion and Arzuros feels like a good fit for me.

Not sure if it's been established already or what, but does anybody know if they've buffed the strength of the Switch Axe's hack 'n slash combo from Tri? I always heard about how inefficient that thing was but I can't shake the feeling that there's still got to be some sort of use for it by now.

Pineconn

Dammit, looks like my Amazon order won't get here until Tuesday night. I'd rather have picked it up from GameStop early Tuesday, but Amazon's deal was just too good to pass up.

Hopefully I can get my diamond assault rifles in Blops II before Tuesday!

GAH EXCITE

Hiltz

It's pretty rare for me to change away from my classic door-minder avatar, but this feels like an appropriate occasion and Arzuros feels like a good fit for me.

Not sure if it's been established already or what, but does anybody know if they've buffed the strength of the Switch Axe's hack 'n slash combo from Tri? I always heard about how inefficient that thing was but I can't shake the feeling that there's still got to be some sort of use for it by now.

I don't know if that particular useless attack got any better, but apparently you can now perform a roll in order to cancel the attack animation, so you're no longer forced to stand still until the attack animation is finished.

Pineconn

I heard that the Swax in general has been improved, but I don't know about the hack 'n slash. I never use that attack, anyway (or the elemental burst...). I will be maining the Swax in Ultimate, so I suppose I should learn all of the changes from Tri.

Also, we've surpassed the Lego City OT in half a day. I kind of feel bad, lol.

Doorman

I heard that the Swax in general has been improved, but I don't know about the hack 'n slash. I never use that, anyway. I will be maining the Swax, so I suppose I should learn all of the changes from Tri.

It certainly feels a lot better to me compared to Tri from playing the demo, enough that I plan on it being one of my "main" weapons...but I've never entirely been able to put my finger on why that is. I think I'm just better at understanding it now moreso than any changes they actually implemented on the programming side. :p

I do know that they altered the controls somewhat, and moved the Hack 'n Slash so that you don't automatically go into it by just mashing X. You get to the sword discharge by pressing X+A rather than +, and if I'm not mistaken they actually swapped the button to do horizontal vs. vertical slashes with the sword. That may not be true but that's what it feels like to me.

Also, starting to add folks from the Google doc. Even if I only add people from North America that's still 77+ names! Holy shit this is gonna take a while.

Pineconn

It certainly feels a lot better to me compared to Tri from playing the demo, enough that I plan on it being one of my "main" weapons...but I've never entirely been able to put my finger on why that is. I think I'm just better at understanding it now moreso than any changes they actually implemented on the programming side. :p

I do know that they altered the controls somewhat, and moved the Hack 'n Slash so that you don't automatically go into it by just mashing X. You get to the sword discharge by pressing X+A rather than +, and if I'm not mistaken they actually swapped the button to do horizontal vs. vertical slashes with the sword. That may not be true but that's what it feels like to me.

The Switch Axe is straight up badass. Good horizontal and vertical range, easy dodging (none of that weird Lance movement), plenty of elements and phials for any monster you need to take down. Plus, it's just fun to use. And you have a launching attack to retaliate haphazard Hammer/GS users. :)

I had to re-learn the controls, however, since I used the Wiimote in Tri. I like how they feel, so props to the devs. The dissonance between the Bowgun (A to shoot, X to reload) and the Bow (X to shoot, X+A to coat) is weird, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Peco took me a long time to beat as well but because I was in awe with his animation :O

I hated those stupid flints. >:|

And the first time he called Ian I wanted to pop the disc out and never put it back in. :<

Niwa

My hype grows stronger but my Wii U Friendlist is still empty. &#12541;(&#65507;&#9661;&#65507;)&#12494;

I'd love some friends to play with, lol. So hook me up, my NNID is Walkyrr!

My hype grows stronger but my Wii U Friendlist is still empty. &#12541;(&#65507;&#9661;&#65507;)&#12494;

I'd love some friends to play with, lol. So hook me up, my NNID is Walkyrr!
You know there's a google doc within the OP? Just quote it and see the link, add yourself in and wait for someone or add peeps yourself depending on the region you want...

...I'm gonna need to get rid of some people on my friend list soon 92/100 T_T Nintendo needs a better friendl list and up the limit.

chronosic

So it seems Capcom has gotten wise to people getting the game early. Last night I was able to check the event/challenge quests and the extras for download, and today my roomie tried to take a look at them and it told him no data available.

Pineconn

Alright boys and girls, it's time for some walls of shame!

On the left is the main MH3U thread; on the right is the MH3U demo thread. Top 10 are shown.

mhgaf1.png
mhgaf3.png

Important note: Samurai_Heart also had 81 posts in the main thread, so he should be on the list!

Looks like I made the demo thread wall of shame. :(
:)

Just added myself. I am Jason from Tri for those of you who have played with me. I see a lot of familiar faces already on the list. I'll be downloading day 1 and hopefully have the time to play on day 1. No monste...mushrooms will be safe from us!

I can't believe I'll be retiring Tri this week. I'll be saying goodbye to my character after one last round of hunts on Friday. My 3 piece bowguns will be missed. I still had all of those unused scatterfish too! A new monster hunter game though. So hyped!

You're picking up ultimate? Hooray! Make sure to add me!

Nick! I was wondering if you had/were going to get a wiiU for this. Make sure you add me. Thinking about starting off with bowgun this time? ;)

RAWR. You guys remember me, right?

Francis/PounchEnvy :D Looking forward to playing again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

On the left is the main MH3U thread; on the right is the MH3U demo thread. Top 10 are shown.

mhgaf1.png
mhgaf3.png

Wait, which was the first thread? I can't believe I posted the most in it. I've barely paid attention to it for a couple weeks.

mhgaf1.png
mhgaf3.png

Where's the announcement thread!!! I just made it into the top ten =P http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=491153&page=1
On that note how do you find the whose posted tool on desktop GAF? Only way I can do it thus far is using the mobile GAF and using the tools tab on there =S

Pineconn

Wait, which was the first thread? I can't believe I posted the most in it. I've barely paid attention to it for a couple weeks.

I considered the main MH3U thread to be the one titled Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491153

Where's the announcement thread!!! I just made it into the top ten =P

Oh, looks like you tied for 10th on the main thread. I'll add you in via text. (If you REALLY want to be shamed!)

On desktop, you have to click the number of replies the thread has in the main board listing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Before you retire the Wii version for a WiiU upgrade, how many hours did you guys dedicate to it?

890 hours on my Wii, although prior to picking up that second Wii, I put in about 200 on our original one. My wife has even more hours than this. :p

Fewr

890 hours on my Wii, although prior to picking up that second Wii, I put in about 200 on our original one. My wife has even more hours than this. :p
Wow, that´s crazy. I hope I get as many on this, then I would really be getting the most replay value ever.

Are you playing this with your wife? Will it be 3DS, WiiU or a combination of both?

Pineconn

Ooh, looks like I need to update my avatar. Gonna put a monster icon in the background of my Bond with an ampersand for a face, heh. [Edit: or not. I'll think of something better.]

Before you retire the Wii version for a WiiU upgrade, how many hours did you guys dedicate to it?

I don't have my Wii with me to check the time, but I was able to amass all of the awards. It took a long time to hunt all gold large and gold small monsters, but I did it, dammit! I imagine I put in 400 to 600 hours. My brother put in over 1500 hours, and he got to HR 999, maxed out his zenny, maxed out his resource points, and obtained every single fully upgraded weapon and piece of armor. He's nuts.

Oh, looks like you tied for 10th on the main thread. I'll add you in via text. (If you REALLY want to be shamed!)

On desktop, you have to click the number of replies the thread has in the main board listing.
I'm proud to be shamed =P, I'm a dude btw XD. Thanks for explaining the desktop wall of shame XD, can't believe I've been on GAF for a while without even knowing how to check lol.

So just checking on NA, Circle Pad Pro XL still not announced for you guys?

As of this moment my time is 918 hours. I played it heavily after launch, went on a 3 or 4 month hiatus, then came back and played it at least once a week right up until this point. Tomorrow I retire it.

Edit: Guess I could use a new avatar. I'll swap out my dragon mask for a dragon from MH sometime soon, when I get a little time to draw it.

DaBoss

mhgaf1.png
mhgaf3.png

Important note: Samurai_Heart also had 81 posts in the main thread, so he should be on the list!

I win!

I was helping people in the demo thread. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow, that´s crazy. I hope I get as many on this, then I would really be getting the most replay value ever.

Are you playing this with your wife? Will it be 3DS, WiiU or a combination of both?

We'll both be getting a digital 3DS version on both our XLs, although while playing at home, I'll be sticking with the 3DS and she'll be on the Wii U (also buying digitally). We do almost all our hunting together, aside from some single player farming.

It's over 1000! *breaks scouter* Tri was my first Monster Hunter game. I think around 1,200 hours at just under HR 400. Bought it at launch and played it frequently for a few years. While I played it less frequently after I had it for awhile I never really quit except for a few several month breaks. The last year here I have been playing consistently most every Friday night for a few hours. Talk about getting a bang for my buck. Money well spent I'd say and no doubt will apply to 3U as well. I was kinda wishy washy on the Tri demo when I first played it. Now...well I don't put over 1000 hours into a game I don't absolutely adore. ;)

7 hours!

In my defense, I didn't really get Monster Hunter until like a week ago...

Haha, 14 hours for me. I don't know why I stopped, other games at the time perhaps...

So everyone says that you can generally play any weapon at any time and do well if you learn its ins and outs...but there must be preferred weapons for certain fights, right?

I've been reading quite a bit that lance isn't strictly necessary, but it makes some of the larger monsters and water battles much easier. Stuff like hitting Plesioth in the belly instead of the legs. True/false?

Does every weapon have its moment in the sun, that one monster that it's generally preferred to be used on?

Seems like there is always a place for impact weapons and ranged, but other than that, are there monsters where everyone agrees dual swords have the edge, or longsword is king, or switch axe really shines?

Ultratech

So everyone says that you can generally play any weapon at any time and do well if you learn its ins and outs...but there must be preferred weapons for certain fights, right?

I've been reading quite a bit that lance isn't strictly necessary, but it makes some of the larger monsters and water battles much easier. Stuff like hitting Plesioth in the belly instead of the legs. True/false?

Does every weapon have its moment in the sun, that one monster that it's generally preferred to be used on?

Seems like there is always a place for impact weapons and ranged, but other than that, are there monsters where everyone agrees dual swords have the edge, or longsword is king, or switch axe really shines?

There's some weapons that are more suited for fighting some monsters.

Take Barioth for example. I find it MUCH easier to go SnS on him since he's often constantly moving around trying to lunge at you (or whatever). SnS allows you to be fairly mobile while still keeping on the attack.

Another example is Glacial Agnaktor. This is kind of an annoying one, since the ice that covers most of its body is stupid hard. Having stuff that can use/activate ESP (No Bouncing) is really helpful in getting rid of it. So that means Switch Axe (Sword Mode) and Long Sword can be pretty good to use in that fight. Dual Swords too, since Demonize Mode apparently activates ESP with some of its long-ish attack combos.

So yeah, there's some monsters where you can really tear them up with one weapon as opposed to another.

Doorman

I want:
[piggie.jpg]

Give me on in the blue pajamas and I'm in.

WII U DE DERU!

As for UncleSporky's question about "best weapons for certain monsters" it's hard to say, since a lot of a weapon's effectiveness comes from each individual's playing style. Normally I would say that trying to fight the fast and mobile barioth with something like a greatsword would be rough, but there are those who can do it and do it well. Just go with whatever feels best or most sensible for you and work it from there!

Pineconn

It's all preference. I was able to get through the offline portion of Tri with my trusty SnS, but I struggled with certain monsters, such as Rathalos. Other monsters were a breeze that people typically have difficulty with, like Barioth. If I can defeat Diablos my first time with a crappy para SnS, then you can hunt any monster with any weapon. Lol.

Of course, some weapons might be better suited in certain situations. Like I was talking about, I'll never use SnS against Rathalos solo again. GS on Barioth might make you want to pull your hair out. Et cetera et cetera.

Ok, thanks.

Mainly I really don't like the lance but I don't want people pissed off at me for not using it when I should be. :p I know that's unavoidable, but at the same time I would feel less useful to the rest of the group when it is in fact true.

Right now I like hammer, dual swords and switch axe.

I'm ready for this game. :)

Whether or not my Wii U purchase was worthwhile comes down to this game. Stinks that there is no Rayman, but this was the game I wanted the most anyway. Demo was fun. Online is where the real excitement is at.

Doorman

Ok, thanks.

Mainly I really don't like the lance but I don't want people pissed off at me for not using it when I should be. :p I know that's unavoidable, but at the same time I would feel less useful to the rest of the group when it is in fact true.

Right now I like hammer, dual swords and switch axe.

Nobody's ever really going to tell you that you should or should not be using a particular weapon, especially when you're playing as part of a team that will likely have some degree of diversity on it anyway. Just use what you want to. If someone's giving you shit for weapon choice alone, well, they're probably not a good group to party up with in the first place.

Well, I'm sitting here with my Wii U on, I guess I'll start adding the mobs of NA people. Hey, this might be the first time I end up with a good online gaming community in game!

I'm always forever alone on online games. D;

EDIT: HAHA! I have enough room on my HDD (still just the 32GB) for the eShop version. Aw yiss. Mofuggin. eShop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom