• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I may get the 3DS version in the following weeks but after completing both hunts in the demo I have a few questions.
I'm not a fan of water battles, how prominent are they in the full game?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the difficulty of the Plesioth fight from the demo compared to the encounters in the full game?

I tried Sword and shield and while it's fast, it seems kind of weak. Double blade seem like a more offensive version of S&S and the demon gauge keeps things interesting but they too seem weak, though I did manage to beat Plesioth with them. The great sword seems really powerful but it's too slow for my liking. I tried the long sword and I love the range and Fade Slash but, unlike with the Switch Axe, it didn't feel that good and it seems that the more erratic monster would make it really hard to fill the sword gauge to gain the attack bonus. I'm not ready to write it off completely, though. The lance seems too slow and boring and the bow felt off. I still have to try the other weapons but right now Switch Axe is my prime candidate. It seems to have a nice balance between range, power and agility, not to mention that unleashing an Element Discharge Finish into a monster's face feels great. The range was also a life saver while battling under water. Is it a good weapon for soloing or should I look into maining something else?

SnS makes up for damage by being a good status/ailment weapon.

I wont be late getting this
KuGsj.gif

forgot about DDP
3AQmK.gif

Points needed to get a code for eShop credit 33pts

saving me the wait :)

Keasar

This is probably gonna be a rhetorical question but I guess there is no chance they have cut down a bit on the material grinding in the game? While the giant monster hunting was awesome, my friends quit because of the constant grind of materials (including having to hunt monsters over, and over, and over, and over, and over) to get better armor and progress, I was also after a while feeling the fatigue of having to retread old grounds in order to pick herbs and mine iron for hours end. Also all those really boring filler missions between the ones where you are told to hunt a big monster were getting too much.

This is probably gonna be a rhetorical question but I guess there is no chance they have cut down a bit on the material grinding in the game? While the giant monster hunting was awesome, my friends quit because of the constant grind of materials (including having to hunt monsters over, and over, and over, and over, and over) to get better armor and progress, I was also after a while feeling the fatigue of having to retread old grounds in order to pick herbs and mine iron for hours end. Also all those really boring filler missions between the ones where you are told to hunt a big monster were getting too much.

It's still pretty much the same here.

Any truth to this YT comment?

"The hammer is generally considered the best weapon for average skill level players because knockouts make for a nice positive feedback loop, making hunts faster and easier after you have the basics of hammers down."
I think that's ridiculous. Hammers are the hardest weapon type to use effectively. You have to know the monster's movement well to KO it more than once in a fight. You also attack slow and have no blocking. I consider myself proficient to skilled in all of Tri's weapons, and hammering always takes the most out of me. Everything else just requires you to not get hit and hit the monster.

Man I love MH but I just can't justify buying a Wii U or 3DS for it... yet. Once there's a pricedrop on the Wii U and some more interesting games start coming out, I'm on board.

Ken

Never played a mh game, is it mmo..ish, do you see other player running around or is it just invites?

No. You join an online room that's a 3D port area/prepping area that isn't very big. In that area, you can see and interact with other players but they had to specifically join the same room as you. Rooms are also limited to 4 i think. It's kind of like an interactive pre-game lobby.

You can then set out on a hunt with those players in the lobby, but you won't see any other players besides them running about.

Mupod

those filler missions are usually optional past 1* or 2* quests. I actually like mining and gathering my stuff in preparation for a hunt, but the farm helps. Either way if fighting monsters repeatedly bothers you then yeah this is not your series.

kidko

YAAAAAAAAA OT!

New avatar for celebration time *dancedancedance*

Tempted to stop off at Toys R Us here in Austin to see if they broke street date

Keasar

those filler missions are usually optional past 1* or 2* quests. I actually like mining and gathering my stuff in preparation for a hunt, but the farm helps. Either way if fighting monsters repeatedly bothers you then yeah this is not your series.

A few times I can bear but I still have cold memories of hunting a monster 10-15 or so times in order to get 1(!) skull from it to upgrade a weapon. It was just annoying.

chronosic

Woo, just got Cha Cha in my hunting party. I've hunted 3 Great Jaggi, and 2 Azuros so far, I'm thinking of making the renoplos set for the artillery skill, gunlance is too good.

Kurod

Banned
In honor of Monster Hunter's newest release I'm going back to my Neokht avvy. Also, here's a Barioth cub for anyone that would like it.

rtN11uJ.png

Edit: And a Kut-ku being hit with a sonic bomb

Yd0zPmU.png

This is getting expensive...

Bought a Wii U, will buy two copies of the game, and now I just upgraded my grandma's internet from 1MB to 10MB, it's where I'm spending the most time now.

Took forever to download all the demos, firmware and patches, can't let that happen with the legendary Monster Hunter!

brinstar

Added my NNID to the list.

I hope this will be on the eshop at midnight, because as it turns out I have the 19th off. I'd be able to play all night :O~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom