• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of the bow and am having a lot of fun with it, but have yet to take down Lagombi.

For awhile (I recently realized) I wasn't equipping the coatings, just selecting them. That oughtta help, and then it was a matter of retraining myself from melee to ranged mindset, and learning the controls better so I wouldn't keep hitting the damn wrong buttons during moments of crisis.

I now think I am ready to take him down, but have a couple of questions.

1)How effective is the bow's melee? Is it even worth it to get a couple swings in, or would that time be better spent positioning myself for another charged shot?

2)Seems like I have a lot of status effect coatings. As a (hopeful future) bow user should I anticipate NEEDING to sleep/poison/paralyze to succeed? Is it feasible to take a monster down w/ the bow without them? Not for an expert player, who could probably kill people with the bow naked, melee only, but for me, the noob.

So far I really liked the longsword, gunlance, dual swords, and hammer. But the bow is a lot of fun trying to cat-and-mouse that damn Lagombi. Run around, get a shot in, dive out of the way, FUCK missed an opportunity to arrow rain him, dive, shot in, etc.

It's possible to kill the Lagombi only with melee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KFV-h3yUfQ

Hmm... I think the coatings help significantly, and I'm sure it's feasible, but probably really difficult to do with a 20 minute time limit.

Nicktals

Banned
Added my name to the list, and added a few people I remember hunting with before. If you remember me from Tri, please add, NNID is Nicktals.

Also, have we decided on a GAF gathering area yet?

Mondriaan

1)How effective is the bow's melee? Is it even worth it to get a couple swings in, or would that time be better spent positioning myself for another charged shot?
Melee is only worthwhile for cutting tails IMO, and that's assuming that there is absolutely no one with a cutting weapon.

2)Seems like I have a lot of status effect coatings. As a (hopeful future) bow user should I anticipate NEEDING to sleep/poison/paralyze to succeed? Is it feasible to take a monster down w/ the bow without them? Not for an expert player, who could probably kill people with the bow naked, melee only, but for me, the noob.
You should use them because it's easy to buy coatings from the shop. They're not necessary, but you'll finish quests sooner.

Only 9 of my 100 friends are on that list! 100 cap is silly. I'll wait until the game comes out then some people may have to get the axe. *so sad*

Doorman

Man, I wish that Nintendo operated similarly to GAF OTs and opened up the Monster Hunter Miiverse community a few days early. It'd be fun to help build up hype and see what sorts of fanart we could come up with.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Going through the monsters... anyone know why Ultimate leaves out quite a few cool looking monsters that Portable 3rd went through the trouble of adding?

Tigrex (yes it's coming back in 4...), Akantor, Ukanlos, Amatsuwhatever. =/

dubq

Guys can it be the 19th now plz? :)

I seriously cannot wait to get into this game. Loved the demo, and I loved casually dabbling in MHFU on PSP/Vita, but I am ready to completely dive into this series via Wii U/3DS!

Rize_21

Added almost everyone :)!
I'll be in this game for the years to come,unless MH4 makes it on WiiU too!let's celebrate this with some delicious Plesioth's sushis tenderly and warmly sliced!

Going through the monsters... anyone know why Ultimate leaves out quite a few cool looking monsters that Portable 3rd went through the trouble of adding?

Tigrex (yes it's coming back in 4...), Akantor, Ukanlos, Amatsuwhatever. =/

Gotta keep it fresh for the Japanese consumers.
Even though this is the 2nd rerelease of the game.

Hoodbury

Next week would be such a perfect time for Best Buy to do their buy one get one half off sale. Any Best Buy insiders know if they might be doing that?

Stupid Target is doing the buy 2 get one free next week but Monster Hunter isn't listed as in store. Grr.

Doorman

I'm loving these responses. I get the sense that Monster Hunter is going to lead to so many completely-begrudging Wii U puchases. That is quite the system seller.

So me and a friend are going to be playing this game on the 23rd, and we're both relatively fresh (we've never had the chance to really devote to it, though online will help this.). We're playing it for a military veteran related charity, going to be doing it for 24 hours, and we'll be streaming the Wii U's output on Twitch. Would anyone else that's relatively fresh want to join in for a little bit of it? Don't have to stay the whole 24 hours or anything, just pop into our lobby, hunt a bit, and occassionally use the chat to start screaming "FOR CHARITY!!!" as we charge into the waters to kill Lagi. We'll be playing from 3pm to 3pm, Saturday to Sunday, Indiana time (I think we're on EST now, hell if I know.)

My NNID is in the doc, if you're interested. Might be fun, if nothing else.
I think the most we'll do is create a character, and make sure we don't end up with a shitty charm table (none of the cursed, basically) on release, then save the rest for the 23rd. I'd love to get some Gaf members to hunt with, and I feel this is a pretty good excuse for it haha.

Mileena

Banned
I'm loving these responses. I get the sense that Monster Hunter is going to lead to so many completely-begrudging Wii U puchases. That is quite the system seller.
Put good hardcore games on your system and people will buy it, even if they don't exactly love Nintendo. It works I promise.

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
Can't wait to hunt again! Picking up the 3DS and Wii U version, considering I am traveling a lot. Hope to have the opportunity to hunt together with you guys soon!!

Wait what? This is an online only deal?
This game is apparently only available on their website and not at the Target stores. The B2G1 deal we know about is in-store only - CAG is telling me that they usually have an online version of their B2G1 deal at the same time but it's more limited than than in-store deal (i.e. no one knows if this game is eligible for their hypothetical online promo).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also I kinda wanna make some Pink Rathian armor. Dunno why.

Maybe some Gold Rathian armor too.

<3 Rathian

Nicktals

Banned
So me and a friend are going to be playing this game on the 23rd, and we're both relatively fresh (we've never had the chance to really devote to it, though online will help this.). We're playing it for a military veteran related charity, going to be doing it for 24 hours, and we'll be streaming the Wii U's output on Twitch. Would anyone else that's relatively fresh want to join in for a little bit of it? Don't have to stay the whole 24 hours or anything, just pop into our lobby, hunt a bit, and occassionally use the chat to start screaming "FOR CHARITY!!!" as we charge into the waters to kill Lagi. We'll be playing from 3pm to 3pm, Saturday to Sunday, Indiana time (I think we're on EST now, hell if I know.)

My NNID is in the doc, if you're interested. Might be fun, if nothing else.
I think the most we'll do is create a character, and make sure we don't end up with a shitty charm table (none of the cursed, basically) on release, then save the rest for the 23rd. I'd love to get some Gaf members to hunt with, and I feel this is a pretty good excuse for it haha.

The charms won't matter for a day. I also suggest maybe putting another day into it before hand, just to familiarize yourself with it a bit, if you haven't already.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This game is apparently only available on their website and not at the Target stores. The B2G1 deal we know about is in-store only - CAG is telling me that they usually have an online version of their B2G1 deal at the same time but it's more limited than than in-store deal (i.e. no one knows if this game is eligible for their hypothetical online promo).
NO NO no yoda. Don't tell me this. My emotions can't take it. I feel a hatred in me (for target).

DaBoss

The size for the 3DS one is actually 1.784GB (14275 blocks). I imagine the Wii U version would have a slightly higher size too.

I have some questions.

1. Is cross compatible multiplayer in the game? Would I be able to play on my 3DS with my brother's Wii U copy of the game? (If I actually owned a 3DS)
2. Would a US 3DS copy be compatible with an EU Wii U copy if the above is possible?

If so, I might start looking for some Canadian some 3DS deals and pick up a copy of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate to play on my trip to England.

Hiltz

Lagiacrus is the most annoying monster to fight solo underwater in MH Tri unless you have a weapon capable of blocking. So now he comes in an always on electrified form. How wonderful!

Xater

I have some questions.

1. Is cross compatible multiplayer in the game? Would I be able to play on my 3DS with my brother's Wii U copy of the game? (If I actually owned a 3DS)
2. Would a US 3DS copy be compatible with an EU Wii U copy if the above is possible?

If so, I might start looking for some Canadian some 3DS deals and pick up a copy of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate to play on my trip to England.

Everything you want to know is actually answered in the OP.

Doorman

Also I kinda wanna make some Pink Rathian armor. Dunno why.

Maybe some Gold Rathian armor too.

<3 Rathian
Subspecies armors offer different skills than the parent breed's, right? Or are the differences mostly cosmetic? I like the ability to differentiate your look a little bit, and the symbol colors in Tri helped, but didn't feel like they went quite far enough.

Kuntz

Subbed !

So much fun is going to be had ...

No NNID yet, I'll receive my ultimate amazon pack (wii bundle + 3DS bundle) on launch day, which is the 22nd on EU.

Then I got one week of vacantion..
WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? I wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom