• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

I'm at Duramboros now. What weapon should I use to finish it off quickly? Don't want to spend too much time on it, though it seems I will have to since it seems it is a damage sponge.

wsippel

Banned
Doesn't look like I'm getting the game today. Just noticed Amazon sent it with what's probably the slowest postal service in Germany. :(

To be fair, MH is more community based than LEGO.
True, but Lego has Miiverse integration as far as I know - MH doesn't.

Rize_21

I'm at Duramboros now. What weapon should I use to finish it off quickly? Don't want to spend too much time on it, though it seems I will have to since it seems it is a damage sponge.

If you can,go with the Djinn sword (SnS).You'll take around 20 minutes to kill it.

Mupod

Don't be stupid like me, go for the legs when he starts up his flying spin.

Any weapon should be fine, but I'd recommend a hammer. You can actually smash his tail clump off with a hammer by breaking it twice, and you can carve it like you would a cut tail.

Remember his big hump is the primary weak point and his head takes fuck all damage. His KO resistance is incredible but his head is very easy to hit so it's worth doing it a couple times, and he gets tired out easily allowing you to pitfall him and go to town on the small hump.

Do not underestimate his endurance. I actually failed the quest the first time because I went in with a garbage low end hunting horn, no steaks and not enough whetstones. I deserved it for being overconfident, although I would've been fine if I knew about the spin knockdown thing.

I highly recommend bringing LOTS of traps including one to capture him at the end, which will speed things up quite a bit simply because he has so much hp.

Mr E.

I wish the file transfer was save slot based not the whole file. I wanted to play locally with my son and both of us have the benifit of Wii U and DS cross play.

Really pissed about this.

DaBoss

I'm still using a leather set if that helps.

If you can,go with the Djinn sword (SnS).You'll take around 20 minutes to kill it.

SnS is not my thing, but thanks for the suggestion.

Don't be stupid like me, go for the legs when he starts up his flying spin.

Any weapon should be fine, but I'd recommend a hammer. You can actually smash his tail clump off with a hammer by breaking it twice, and you can carve it like you would a cut tail.

Remember his big hump is the primary weak point and his head takes fuck all damage. His KO resistance is incredible but his head is very easy to hit so it's worth doing it a couple times, and he gets tired out easily allowing you to pitfall him and go to town on the small hump.

Do not underestimate his endurance. I actually failed the quest the first time because I went in with a garbage low end hunting horn, no steaks and not enough whetstones. I deserved it for being overconfident, although I would've been fine if I knew about the spin knockdown thing.

I highly recommend bringing LOTS of traps including one to capture him at the end, which will speed things up quite a bit simply because he has so much hp.

Damn sounds like a serious damage sponge. Thanks for the tips.

I wish the file transfer was save slot based not the whole file. I wanted to play locally with my son and both of us have the benifit of Wii U and DS cross play.

Really pissed about this.

Aren't Wii U saves split up by NNID? Wouldn't you be able to set up another NNID and use it or let your son use it?

ReconPeon

I finally downloaded this yesterday. I haven't been able to play yet, but I should be tonight. I think I'm going to go heavy bowgun with switchaxe or sword and shield.

Kuntz

Fuck my life, UPS updated, wont get it until Monday, and I won't be at home so I'm fucked.

There goes my fucking weekend...

Punching walls right noww

Mupod

Are NNID's locked to a Wii U or 3DS? Can you have more than one NNID per system?

I'm still trying to figure out what the post I read meant by changing your 3DS profile in order to start a different save file. Try changing your Mii and see if that does it? I can't check right now.

Mr E.

Aren't Wii U saves split up by NNID? Wouldn't you be able to set up another NNID and use it or let your son use it?

Well hopefully that's the case, scenario would then be my son would get the cross save feature and I would stay Wii U based. That would suck but it would do. At least they better let that work lol. Should do.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
this is how i've configured the lower screen :

F3E2i9v.jpg

so,I can control the camera with both thumb, depending when I need to hold button or the analog stick :p

what's yours ?

ibbitkHWEofFfp.jpg

I've shrunk down the virtual dpad and centred it with the buttons to make it easier to access the entire thing with my thumb, without need for really over reaching. Map and items to clear some of the UI clutter (I need stamina displayed on the top screen as a Hammer user) and the monster focus toggle is so useful.

Mr E.

Are NNID's locked to a Wii U or 3DS? Can you have more than one NNID per system?
12 on Wii U I believe, I'm sure it's one on 3DS though, Funny thing is we have two 3DS systems an original and XL. Only one monster hunter cart though (fuck buying more).
Having two 3DS means two NNID's but the save on the cart is deleted every transfer.

Grrr.

Edit thinking about it, it should work with one Wii U and two NNID's and 2 3Ds's. Fuck this is a cash sink, I just bought a circle pad pro for the XL, I'm probably looking at getting a regular circle pad pro now.

Peru

ibbitkHWEofFfp.jpg

I've shrunk down the virtual dpad and centred it with the buttons to make it easier to access the entire thing with my thumb, without need for really over reaching. Map and items to clear some of the UI clutter (I need stamina displayed on the top screen as a Hammer user) and the monster focus toggle is so useful.

This is basically my setup with a combo button instead of item list. Shrinking down the dpad makes it a lot more comfortable to use.

Camjo-Z

I really wish they didn't make me do the whole stupid tutorial bullshit from Tri again, that's like an hour and a half wasted finding unique mushrooms and killing 5 Jaggia when I could have been fighting REAL monsters... well, at least I finally got to the Great Jaggi quest so I'm into the real meat of the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just read that the Yian Kut-Ku is returning for MH4? If this is true, I will be so <3. I loved fighting Kut-Ku's back on PSP.

Also, anyone ever browse the wiki and get sad for the monsters that are exclusive to the Frontier series?

Oh, and legit question - how playable is the Wii U version on the gamepad? My decision on picking up a Wii U is based off of if a) off-screen play is going to suck or not and b) if you're able to use the classic controller in conjunction with off-screen play.

Bit-Bit

I'm gonna pick this up for the Wii U. But none of the reviews I read went in depth into the co-op. Can I play the whole game start to finish on local co-op with my girl on the Gamepad and me on the Pro Controller?

Fistwell

25 min kill w/ rimblade, not knowing what the fuck I was doing.

Mupod

I just read that the Yian Kut-Ku is returning for MH4? If this is true, I will be so <3. I loved fighting Kut-Ku's back on PSP.

Also, anyone ever browse the wiki and get sad for the monsters that are exclusive to the Frontier series?

Oh, and legit question - how playable is the Wii U version on the gamepad? My decision on picking up a Wii U is based off of if a) off-screen play is going to suck or not and b) if you're able to use the classic controller in conjunction with off-screen play.

Gypceros is coming back too. I can't wait for the tales of people encountering HIM for the first time.

Most Frontier monsters are pretty lame if you ask me. The scorpion and orugarons look pretty cool, but I don't particularly care for the DARKNEDGY versions of monsters they keep making. The Rajang with an actual Spirit Bomb is pretty hilarious though.

I used the gamepad for the demo (I have a pro controller too) and it's perfectly fine. I think the best method would still be a classic controller pro but you need a wiimote to use it, I don't need any more clutter if I'm already going to have the gamepad + a USB keyboard in front of me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Up to 43 Guild Cards! Guess going to the MH panel was a good idea, lol.

How many total can I register? Seems like the guild box is limited but registrations might not be.

Mupod

if a cat gets away with your stuff I believe you can find their 'stash' to retrieve it. It'll be a pile of junk with a yellow ? icon over it when you get close. If you try to gather there without having been stolen from, it just gives you a message saying there's nothing found. I believe you also have a time limit to get there and retrieve it, so if it was important (IE: your last trap on a capture mission) then head there immediately.

if a cat gets away with your stuff I believe you can find their 'stash' to retrieve it. It'll be a pile of junk with a yellow ? icon over it when you get close. If you try to gather there without having been stolen from, it just gives you a message saying there's nothing found. I believe you also have a time limit to get there and retrieve it, so if it was important (IE: your last trap on a capture mission) then head there immediately.

So thats what those cat shrines are for. Had no idea.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I need to clear my 3DS save data before I can transfer from Wii U to 3DS. I've been looking for 15 minutes and cannot figure out how to do this.

edit: wow...thanks Internet. You need to go to Options and hold LRX until prompted. That's obtuse.

I really wish they didn't make me do the whole stupid tutorial bullshit from Tri again, that's like an hour and a half wasted finding unique mushrooms and killing 5 Jaggia when I could have been fighting REAL monsters... well, at least I finally got to the Great Jaggi quest so I'm into the real meat of the game.

Yeah, I wish they could have let us skip it. They know how much of their base will buy it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom