• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably should have picked the Wii U version first to see if you like it and then get the 3DS version.

I got both as a package deal on Amazon ($80), so it was a now or never sort of thing. I'm 100% sure I will become obsessed with it, which is bad for my backlog.

You can live just with the Wii U version. But the 3DS version is very nice (love that framerate) and lets you take it out with you. Wii U has all the same features, save Streetpass and has online play.

I live in NYC, and I have a daily 2+ hour commute on the train. If I was going to choose one, it would've been the 3DS version, haha.

LTWheels

I've noticed that sometimes when I hit a monster in the head there is a yellow hit effect and a different sound. What exactly does this mean?

blackflag

The Peco paralysis hammer is always fantastic. Being able to stun and paralyze is a thing of beauty.

My personal favourite is the Dead Eye, a Fire hammer, that comes from the War Hammer tree.

Yes! I used that one a ton in Tri. Love my hammers. I need to start a greatsword too for cutting tails though

Morokh

Okay, game is finally picking up :p Gonna love this !

Still have one question left unanswered, how do I use baits for fishing ?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yes! I used that one a ton in Tri. Love my hammers. I need to start a greatsword too for cutting tails though

Yeah, that's why I eventually picked up the Switch Axe. Nothing is more troll-like than requiring a Tail to forge a Hammer. Argrhrh. I've expanded to Hunting Horn and Bow now too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Okay, game is finally picking up :p Gonna love this !

Still have one question left unanswered, how do I use baits for fishing ?

Y to use the item while standing near a fishing spot. You'll know you're in the right spot because you'll see the Fishing Lure + Press A above your head. If you press A though, you're just using a lure without bait. Press Y to use whatever bait you have equipped.

daxy

God damn. First time I tried the Lagi cap quest I trapped it too soon. Thought I could if it was drooling, but apparently not. Second time it's limping, I've got it trapped, I've already got the victory music playing in my head.
Lagi escapes. What?
Was throwing paintballs, not tranquilizers. Was ready to snap the cartridge in two :')

OrigiNull

This is my first Monster Hunter and I am loving the Long Sword, but not seeing it mentioned much here in the thread.... am I missing something? Also when will I get the option to craft a new one, so far I only see 2 options.

Anyone know what bait gobuls like? I also thought you could hook him from the get-go on hunts... I tried it yesterday with a frog and he kinda just sat there (sleeping?)

Hoodbury

That means you are doing Impact damage which can add up to stunning a monster.

Impact damage is anywhere you hit the monster with an impact weapon (hammer, Hunting horn, etc), you only get the yellow streaks from doing it to the head which is then KO damage.

daxy

This is my first Monster Hunter and I am loving the Long Sword, but not seeing it mentioned much here in the thread.... am I missing something? Also when will I get the option to craft a new one, so far I only see 2 options.

Dunno. I much prefer the GS myself.

New stuff will appear in the crafting menu as soon as you obtain several of its material components.

Anyone know what bait gobuls like? I also thought you could hook him from the get-go on hunts... I tried it yesterday with a frog and he kinda just sat there (sleeping?)

If I recall correctly it's frogs.

Holy shit, my copy from Zavvi arrived today!!! Was expecting to get it on Monday!

Wanted to go digital, but those retarded prices will keep me away. Saved £15 on this game alone.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
God damn. First time I tried the Lagi cap quest I trapped it too soon. Thought I could if it was drooling, but apparently not. Second time it's limping, I've got it trapped, I've already got the victory music playing in my head.
Lagi escapes. What?
Was throwing paintballs, not tranquilizers. Was ready to snap the cartridge in two :')

When it's drooling, or breathing heavily (not to be confused with being enraged) it means it's exhausted. Things like meat (for some monsters) can be used, and the effects of Flash Bombs and Traps will usually last longer.

In a trapping quest, bring your own trap just in case the EZ trap doesn't work (monster runs away, you get stunned while trying to Tranq, you did it too early, etc). You can make Shock Traps with Thunderbugs + Trap Tool (buy from the item lady), or Pit Fall traps (nice for breaking things like Lagi's horns) with Net (Spider Web+Ivy) + Trap Tool.

He should always bite for the Frog. Make sure you're using the Bait (Y) and not an empty lure (A).

daxy

When it's drooling, or breathing heavily (not to be confused with being enraged) it means it's exhausted. Things like meat (for some monsters) can be used, and the effects of Flash Bombs and Traps will usually last longer.

In a trapping quest, bring your own trap just in case the EZ trap doesn't work (monster runs away, you get stunned while trying to Tranq, you did it too early, etc). You can make Shock Traps with Thunderbugs + Trap Tool (buy from the item lady), or Pit Fall traps (nice for breaking things like Lagi's horns) with Net (Spider Web+Ivy) + Trap Tool.

Yeah, learned the hard way. Just bought around 130 thunderbugs (at half price!) from the merchant lady in the multiplayer hub. No stopping me now!

DaBoss

Impact damage is anywhere you hit the monster with an impact weapon (hammer, Hunting horn, etc), you only get the yellow streaks from doing it to the head which is then KO damage.

Right, mixed the terms up. Thought you can use it in interchangeably.

King_Moc

Banned

You picked the upgrade menu, rather than the buy new one menu? You can only buy the basic weapons, then upgarde your way through a flowchart of weapons. You'll typically only have 1 or 2 options to upgrade to at any particular time.

blackflag

Yeah, that's why I eventually picked up the Switch Axe. Nothing is more troll-like than requiring a Tail to forge a Hammer. Argrhrh. I've expanded to Hunting Horn and Bow now too.

I like Switch axe. I actually used hunting horn in the demo for the first time and I think I'm going to mess with it more. Quicker moves, probably less damage but the status effects are sweet.

Zinogre is veeeery easy to fight, death at him just standin there, charging his shitty shock attack.

In the meantime I'm exploding my Gunlance on his face.

TheExodu5

Banned
Question about Hunting Horns...

Whenever I use my Health Recovery (S) song, it either casts at (XS) or (S) strength. It seems to be random. Is there any pattern to this?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I like Switch axe. I actually used hunting horn in the demo for the first time and I think I'm going to mess with it more. Quicker moves, probably less damage but the status effects are sweet.

Hunting Horn is really great for playing in a party, with things like Defense, Attack boost, stopping Stamina depletion, etc. Attacking wise, it's slower than the hammer, but the X+A overhead swing can hit some monsters heads that are well out of the way of the hammer.

If I played Tri to death online, should I still pick this up or just wait for 4? Mind you, I would be getting the 3DS version, which means no online. :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If I played Tri to death online, should I still pick this up or just wait for 4? Mind you, I would be getting the 3DS version, which means no online. :/

There's five times as many large monsters in this and literally hundreds of new weapons and armour. You know what Monster Hunter is about, so if you can find entertainment in the single player, there's a bunch of new content.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hunting Horn is really great for playing in a party, with things like Defense, Attack boost, stopping Stamina depletion, etc. Attacking wise, it's slower than the hammer, but the X+A overhead swing can hit some monsters heads that are well out of the way of the hammer.

Yep. I'm sure the HH's damage is lower, but the moveset makes up for it. Also, having a horn with health recovery is really nice for keeping up your health in battle without using pots.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I loved the PSP ones, any reason I shouldnt bite on the 3DS version?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No, especially since Portable 3rd didn't even come to the west, but even if you already played it this version is totally worth it.

Havent played Portable 3rd. Just asking because I had hundreds of hours of MonHun on PSP and maybe this version feels too similar? Or that it contains less content etcetc

Ridley327

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend the Brady Game e-guide; it's extremely detailed and gives you about all the important item information that you could want, on top of their percentages. My only complaint is that the weapons charts aren't arranged in a way that reveals their upgrade paths, but the MH Wiki helps out with that.

Raide

We're getting a ton of stuff in the coming weeks - every week there's something new. Check the "content preview" section from the DLC menu.

Cool. Still waiting for my console to turn up. :D Should have it tomorrow! Great to hear that the DLC is coming along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom