• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent half an hour looking for a huge pile of shit, and went back to town disappointed that I could not find it.

Supposedly killing the big Aponoths drops Super Sized Dung, but I can't for the life of me find any, help?

EDIT: Also, I'm playing on WiiU...what are guild cards? I seem totally ignorant of that entire thing.

The answer to all "What armor should I make?" questions is: whatever would provide the bonuses you most want for your weapon against the monster(s) you are going to hunt.

I just spent half an hour looking for a huge pile of shit, and went back to town disappointed that I could not find it.

Supposedly killing the big Aponoths drops Super Sized Dung, but I can't for the life of me find any, help?

EDIT: Also, I'm playing on WiiU...what are guild cards? I seem totally ignorant of that entire thing.
Check the "Moga Report" with Junior. Big Aponoths only appear when "Herbivore Breeding" is taking place. You will get Super-Sized Dung as one of your resources when you provide your report to Junior.

Ken

Talk to chief's son and generate resources for ssdung.

Qurupeke

For the dung, just kill one big when it says "Herbivore breeding".

Hoodbury

Not the big ones, the giant ones. And ya, only when herbivores are breeding. Not a drop but a reward when you convert kills to resources from junior, I mean the Chiefs son.

DaBoss

"Oh hey I'll get some cash and stuff by doing this wee egg fetching quest.."
becomes
OH NO FUCKING SHIT NOT NOW - NOT NOW

Hahahahahahaha. Oh man, this reaction has to be the best in this thread. I bet everyone had this reaction for the first time, including myself.

What's the easiest way to get Monsterbone L? I thought Barroth had them, but I've killed him 4 times now and haven't gotten any! I need to make his boots!

Yeah, done that about a dozen times. Nothing.

1. Go out into the woods when Herbivores are breeding.
2. Check the area that Aponoths hang in.
3. Find one that's really huge, like twice your height.
4. Kill it. Kill multiple if you want.
5. Go back to the village.
6. Talk to junior and collect your resources.
7. SSDung will be in these resources.

So this is the streetpass thing? You run into people and get an AI version of them?

Being on Wii-U, I get them online. But yeah you get an AI and then you get a list of missions that you send them on for various items. It seemed to get awhile for them to get back but hey, free items.

Fistwell

Faust, NeoC, nice playing with you guys. As mentioned earlier, I'll try to get back online in about an hour, if any euro GAF wants to play let me know.

@Faust did I dream that kick against ian when I made you fly halfway across the room or did it rly happen???

Palmer_v1

So I have a Peco Flint and Barroth Hammer, but can't decide what to aim for next. I'm especially lost on Armor. I'm pretty sure I want Fast Charge, Evasion Up, and Evasion +2. Are there any new skills since Tri that help a hammer user as well? HGE is always a thing too, I guess.

Also had a good time playing with some folks last night. Jason, Lanze, remista(sp?), and another guy whose name I've forgotten(sorry!).

njean777

So I am trying to fine mega fishing flys and I have no clue what the insect gathering spots look like. Does anybody want to tell a noob where they are?

Im new to the series, just got my Wii U so will give the demo a bash.

The demo (from what I played) explained next to nothing. The full game is a bit better about that, but it's still pretty complicated. Played online a bit last night and the community was very kind and willing to answer my questions.

Doorman

So...am I the only one that has more or less avoided Barroth weapons entirely? This dates back to my days in Tri as well, I've always shied away from them thanks to the negative affinity that they produce, reasoning that a game like this where successful hits are at a premium, that a weapon which has the potential to dole out weaker hits never seems to be a good choice. They never struck me very well in the sharpness department either, so against well-armored monsters I've never seen what the real benefit is to them.

Is anyone out there a Barroth weapon fan that can help me figure out the appeal?

Kyzon

I just got disconnected while fighting a Rathian. Had to finish off that bad girl by myself. *kanye shrug*

Anyone want to help me take down the nibbelsnarf? I need to kill it again for my next weapon

Edit: NNID: Kyzon_Xin

So...am I the only one that has more or less avoided Barroth weapons entirely? This dates back to my days in Tri as well, I've always shied away from them thanks to the negative affinity that they produce, reasoning that a game like this where successful hits are at a premium, that a weapon which has the potential to dole out weaker hits never seems to be a good choice. They never struck me very well in the sharpness department either, so against well-armored monsters I've never seen what the real benefit is to them.

Is anyone out there a Barroth weapon fan that can help me figure out the appeal?

Barroth weapons suck due to the negativity affinity and a waste of time. I think the appeal might be is that they're easy to make or something.

Raide

For those that get overwhelmed the best advice is this...

Take it slow and grind a bit. If you can successfully down a particular monster, grind them a bit to make sure you have their armor and weapon. Not only does it cement your hunter prowess over that lowly beast but it also gets you ready for the next challenge. There are no penalties for collecting and making all kinds of weapons and armor.

Collecting Herbs, honey and everything else will help you in the long run! Don't forget in Solo mode, the farm is super useful for resource collecting.

So... overwhelmed.

Me too. I'm starting to feel like starting on 3DS wasn't such a good idea, since the camera controls are bunk and the touch screen panels business is just... bizarre. I figured I'd be safe getting a handheld version given that the series did so well on PSP, but yeesh.

I'm totally lost, but I'm having fun at least. I just have zero idea what I should be doing.

Raide

Me too. I'm starting to feel like starting on 3DS wasn't such a good idea, since the camera controls are bunk and the touch screen panels business is just... bizarre. I figured I'd be safe getting a handheld version given that the series did so well on PSP, but yeesh.

I'm totally lost, but I'm having fun at least. I just have zero idea what I should be doing.

Hunting monsters yo!

Doorman

So... overwhelmed.
Relax...this is natural. :p
There is a hell of a lot going on in Monster Hunter at first glance, but after a little bit of experience a lot of it will start to come to you really easily. The flow of preparing, hunting, and then using the results of that hunt to improve your gear for the next preparation really digs its claws in once you get a grasp of the basics.

For those that get overwhelmed the best advice is this...

Take it slow and grind a bit. If you can successfully down a particular monster, grind them a bit to make sure you have their armor and weapon. Not only does it cement your hunter prowess over that lowly beast but it also gets you ready for the next challenge. There are no penalties for collecting and making all kinds of weapons and armor.

Collecting Herbs, honey and everything else will help you in the long run! Don't forget in Solo mode, the farm is super useful for resource collecting.
One super-helpful thing that I learned last night: While you're in Tanzia Port you can talk to Neko (means "cat") by the port entrance and actually access your farm and fishing fleet straight from there. This applies when you're playing with others online, too. Super-helpful if you want to maintain your flow of herbs and honey and other such items even during long stretches playing online, something you could not do in Tri.

Raide

One super-helpful thing that I learned last night: While you're in Tanzia Port you can talk to Neko (means "cat") by the port entrance and actually access your farm and fishing fleet straight from there. This applies when you're playing with others online, too. Super-helpful if you want to maintain your flow of herbs and honey and other such items even during long stretches playing online, something you could not do in Tri.

Did not know that! Pretty awesome.

Damn you MH-GAF. I am super pumped for more Tri. :D UK based so hopefully online by tomorrow evening if all goes well!

Abandond

you guys think you're all cool with your online

whatever man

i'm having so much more fun playing alone

i don't even care

don't even care

my heart is full of sadness

On the plus side, I did the big dinosaur today, that was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom